The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been to England so I'll take your word for it. I just know that public transportation is a headache on Sundays when you're in the Twin Cities or Chicago.

But like I said it's a moot point because she was on official duty. If Charles is allowed to fly in from Highgrove, Anne from Gatcombe, and Andrew from Windsor, etc.. then I don't know why she should be harangued for following suit.

There just seems to be some classist undertones in the media. That helicopters are fine for royals, but that middle-class gal, who we refuse to call by her title, better not get too big for her britches.

I am afraid I disagree. There is nothing classist about this. Charles was certainly known to discretely take the train in from near Highhhrove to London, as does Anne. Catherine dies not have a particularly busy schedule and could just as easily have saved on travel costs and used a scheduled train.

I am afraid I disagree. There is nothing classist about this. Charles was certainly known to discretely take the train in from near Highhhrove to London, as does Anne. Catherine dies not have a particularly busy schedule and could just as easily have saved on travel costs and used a scheduled train.

Charles and Anne do take the train on occasion. So does Catherine. She's been seen on the train multiple times. But she will also take the helicopter on occasion, just like HM, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, etc...

If you don't think there's classism involved please explain my post #361 on this thread.

The Queen taking the train to and from Sandringham happens once a year. Its a gimmick more than anything. An entire train car is cordoned off for her. Its a photo-op.

The royal helicopters are leased specifically for what Kate used it for. She didn't pop out to whataburger to get some food, she was travelling between official residences for an official engagement.

There is no scandal here. Senior royal uses royal helicopter for royal engagement. That's what it's for. People act as if the helicopter is only for emergencies. Not the case.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

You are making an unfair comparison. Catherine was on official engagement. The Queen was on her private time returning from her Christmas break. If Catherine was using the helicopter for private time, then I agree she should be questioned.

Also, The Queen used the train on a Monday into London. Where the service would have ready and available. Catherine would have needed a train on a Sunday into rural Norfolk. As someone who uses public transportation on a regular basis I can assure you the Sunday schedules are spotty at best. I can't even go into the suburbs on Sunday, let alone farm country. But like I said Catherine was on official business so this is all moot.

This maybe a stupid question but I don't understand why they can't drive ?
Or be driven

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

IIRC correctly when the Queen travels the entire first class section is booked so it costs more than £54, nevertheless I think that even taking that into consideration that Kate's helicopter ride was more costly.

Royals and celebrities, up to a point, have to take the good with the bad when it comes to the media IMO. The same media that will call you out for taking a helicopter will also portray you as the best thing since sliced bread because you put on a pretty frock, shook a few hands and unveiled a plaque.

I think that there are times that the media goes too far and needs to be called out and even reined in, but at the same time if the media did not call out royals, celebrities and politicians for what they do then I can see them taking advantage of perks that they get as well.

The helicopters are leased to be used. The operational costs, pilot's salary and so forth are already factored into the royal household's budget.

It makes no sense to lease them and then let them just sit on the tarmac at RAF Odiham.

If the press wants to complain, that's fine but the helicopters are there for royal engagements and travel between official residences. Kate did both on Sunday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the time the church service started for the Air cadets event? Looking at Twitter, Richard Palmer tweeted Kate's arrival at ~3 AM my time which would be 8am London. I looked at the train schedule from Kings Lynn to London on Sunday Feb 14 (assuming the Sunday schedules are the same week to week). The first train is 827 am arriving at Kings Cross at 1009 am.

Does anyone know what the time the church service started for the Air cadets event? Looking at Twitter, Richard Palmer tweeted Kate's arrival at ~3 AM my time which would be 8am London. I looked at the train schedule from Kings Lynn to London on Sunday Feb 14 (assuming the Sunday schedules are the same week to week). The first train is 827 am arriving at Kings Cross at 1009 am.

i doubt the arrival time of the train is a factor. kate being the guest and a very honorable one indeed, she could have chosen whatever time it suits her to arrive to the event, most likely.

however, given the cost of security to take kate to the train and on the train, it is surely easier to just take the helicopter.

Again, folks have to remember that it's The Queen that approves of the use of the helicopter. It don't move without her knowing why, for who and where it's going. Also, Catherine is not the one who's scheduling the flight. Her officials are the ones that make these arrangements. She rely on them to get her to her engagements and back home.

There is a double standard used for Catherine. Folks complain about a great deal of things she do and don't do. If you want the future Princess of Wales/Queen to do more, then she will have to use the helicopter from time to time. Have a problem with it, take it up with the boss, The Queen.

Kate should have just taking the train and miss the whole events #sarcasm
I can't take these complain from the media and others seriously since it only ever come up when the Cambridge do it.

Its not like Kate just upped and decided to call for a helicopter. For official royal duties, the transportation modes, I believe, have to be authorized by the Queen as the helicopter is usually available for use by all of the royal family as needed.

Leave it to the Fail to put the onus on Kate.

Yes Osipi these are arrangements that are approved in advanced by QEII, so this transportation request would have been resolved some time ago.

i doubt the arrival time of the train is a factor. kate being the guest and a very honorable one indeed, she could have chosen whatever time it suits her to arrive to the event, most likely.

however, given the cost of security to take kate to the train and on the train, it is surely easier to just take the helicopter.

It's a church service with a set time for the start. If the service is scheduled to start at 11 am, Kate can't just show up at noon. Anything prior to noon, it would not be possible to get the train, arrive in Kings Cross go to KP, get ready and go the Strand where the church is with the earliest train arriving at 10.

I have no problem with the helicopter. Kate's engagement was different in nature to Harry's recent engagements in Bath and Lancaster where apparently he took a train. His didn't have a hard start time. Kate's did. The easiest way to get a Royal a long distance to an engagement on time is by the helicopter.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will guest edit @HuffPostUK tomorrow to highlight children's mental health #YoungMindsMatter

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
Be the first to see exclusive @HuffPostUK features commissioned by The Duchess on #childrensmentalhealth- follow #YoungMindsMatter tomorrow!

Lots going on today with #YoungMindsMatter. HRH is guest editing the Huffington Post. Here is her article

The Duchess of Cambridge has written a blog in which she says she would not hesitate to seek professional help if Prince George or Princess Charlotte developed mental health problems.

The Duchess said she and the Duke of Cambridge will encourage their children to talk about their feelings because "there is no shame in a young child struggling with their emotions or suffering from a mental illness".

As patron of the charities Place2Be and The Art Room, which both give emotional support to children, the Duchess has made it her mission to break down the stigma around child mental health.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge: I wouldn't hesitate to seek help if Charlotte or George had mental health problems - Telegraph

Let's Make a Real Difference for an Entire Generation of Young ChildrenÂ*|Â*Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge

The Duchess has brought in one of her big guns - Michelle Obama

Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN
.@FLOTUS will be blogging this morning for @HuffPostUK guest editor The Duchess of Cambridge #YoungMindsMatter

The Prime Minister and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition send out tweets

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron
Encouraging to see @HuffPostUK highlight the incredibly important issue of childhood mental health #YoungMindsMatter
Here's The Real Truth About Mental Health In Children

Jeremy Corbyn MP ‏@jeremycorbyn
It's Time For A New Approach To Children's Mental Health
Here's The Real Truth About Mental Health In Children

Mental health problems should no longer be seen as "taboo", the Duchess of Cambridge has written as guest editor of the Huffington Post UK website.

The duchess wrote that she and her husband, the Duke of Cambridge, "would not hesitate" to seek help if their two children needed it.

Her comments marked the launch of the Young Minds Matter editorial series.

US First Lady Michelle Obama said she was pleased Catherine was shining a "bright light on mental health".

The duchess has been guest editing the Huffington Post on Wednesday from a temporary newsroom in Kensington Palace.
Read more: Michelle Obama praises Kate's Huffington Post mental health edition - BBC News

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing job by the Duchess and the HuffpostUK!! The articles and videos are amazing and so informative!! Been reading all day and cant get enough. True reflection of the many issues around child mental health.

Their hashtag #YoungMindsMatter has been trending for hours in the UK & is now trending in the US. When you follow the hashtag #YoungMindsMatter, you get to see a lot more stories being shared by the general public with regards to their experiences with mental health as children/ through their own children. Public opinion hugely positive and supportive of the initiative.
Great that people like Michelle Obama and David Cameron are also voicing their support.
Its been a very successful initiative and a great day for child mental health as more people are voicing their support.

Kate wrote a very good message! Simple but not granted, adding some personal touches here and there. I hav nothing to complain about thi time, because it was a great initiative and the message seems to have come out loud and clear!

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge has guest edited today’s edition of the Huffington Post UK, as part of an initiative to raise awareness of children’s mental health issues. Based in a special ‘newsroom’ at Kensington Palace, the 34 year old royal has worked with a team of writers and editors and met children including young Haydan Pearce. Diana Award CEO Tessy Ojo and Huff Post Editor-in-Chief Stephen Hull say today’s event is all about starting a conversation about an issue close to the Duchess’s heart.

Home - ITNSource News

This initiative was more impressive than I expected it to be- she did very well and managed to pull together several of her patronages on it, plus involved the Prince's Trust which is great.

Good news on the Anna Freud Center as well

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Is there anywhere else I can read Catherine's piece at? The Huffington Post is now among those sites I see for a second before that blasted Twitter Widget Help blank pop up page that I can't get off comes up.

I think I know the answer already, but asking anyway...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Here's Catherine's article.

Let's Make a Real Difference for an Entire Generation of Young Children - Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge

Here's a roundup of all the articles that were written for the project.

Young Minds Matter - Huffington Post UK

I'm really impressed. Kate did an excellent job guest editing today. This project produced some really informative and touching articles and I’m glad that childhood mental health is getting so much attention.

Amazing job by the Duchess and the HuffpostUK!! The articles and videos are amazing and so informative!! Been reading all day and cant get enough. True reflection of the many issues around child mental health.

Their hashtag #YoungMindsMatter has been trending for hours in the UK & is now trending in the US. When you follow the hashtag #YoungMindsMatter, you get to see a lot more stories being shared by the general public with regards to their experiences with mental health as children/ through their own children. Public opinion hugely positive and supportive of the initiative.
Great that people like Michelle Obama and David Cameron are also voicing their support.
Its been a very successful initiative and a great day for child mental health as more people are voicing their support.

I agree...it was great to see the First Lady and so many others getting involved and sharing stories.

Last edited:
I think Catherine's article was beautifully written and I agreed with all of her sentiments. I developed depression myself last October and although I'm receiving support from a physciatrist now, though at first people whom I talked to about it just seemed to overlook it and I'd been told to "get over it" by a councillor once. Mental health is defiantly an issue that needs to be talked more about here in the UK so that people have a better and more clear understanding of it.

The "get over it" attitude is one I've heard time and time again from many various different people who have sought out counseling and support and to be honest, any therapist or doctor or psychologist that would even think to say something like that needs to take a good long look at the profession they're in and make a life change themselves. The "ignore it and it'll go away" is the most unreliable, quick fix to a problem that any human being can do when faced with a problem.

It is, to me, simply amazing how the impact that this mental health week with Kate guest editing the Huffington Post has hit the mainstream. It is top trending on Twitter and no matter where I've looked today as far as news sources, its there in blazing photographs, stories and commentaries. We may think that the Duchess of Cambridge could do more ribbon cutting and photo ops and getting out there on duties, but seriously, when you think of the impact just this one event has caused, its monumental. This is quality over quantity.

I think one reason for this is that with the planning and co-ordinating of this entire event, one thing we will notice is that it is not just about Kate and her involvement with this issue but its like they've rallied the troops behind her to support her and get this message out and it wasn't just one location. It went international when you think of the involvement of Michelle Obama and national when you think of David Cameron.

The train has left the station on the issue of mental health and its going to be picking up many more passengers and hit a multitude of stations and leave its mark that its been there.

I think Catherine's article was beautifully written and I agreed with all of her sentiments. I developed depression myself last October and although I'm receiving support from a physciatrist now, though at first people whom I talked to about it just seemed to overlook it and I'd been told to "get over it" by a councillor once. Mental health is defiantly an issue that needs to be talked more about here in the UK so that people have a better and more clear understanding of it.

Wishing you the best as you continue on this journey HereditaryPrincess.

First, Thank Goodness my Sister and Brother in Law came for an overnight visit, as I was able to use her iPad to access Huff Post UK and read Catherine's piece. Well Done Your Royal Highness!! I especially liked the part of how when talking to those helped by Action On Addiction or The Art Room during her first years as a Royal, she realized many who suffer from Mental Health Issues, those Issues have their roots in Childhood because it is so very true and sadly I know far too well myself. It's the reason I don't use the B word and call it what it is : Abuse. Considering the Hell I went through, it's amazing I didn't have a breakdown or come away in a wheelchair or both!!

Reason I say the second part of that is due to the kids taking vicious advantage of my limited vision and "helping" me down the stairs and into lockers several times a day.

Thanks to that, I suffer from PTSD and I have lost count how many times over the years when someone has done something, usually sneaking up from behind and doing the "Gotcha!!" thing which can trigger a minor to full blown Panic Attack, I have been told to either "Get over it" or "When are you going to grow up?" due to my "overreacting to what happened...." I wish it was that easy and I also battle Depression as well and have also been told to just "Focus on the happy things..." It doesn't work that way sadly and while people are starting to change, there's still such a long way to go in awareness.

Which is why it is SO important what HRH is doing w/tackling Mental Health Issues, but especially among our Young People. She is someone People will listen and pay attention to, which was made abundantly clear on Wednesday w/all of the reaction to her Guest Editing of the Huffington Post UK to launch the Young Lives Matter campaign. As I said, Well Done Your Royal Highness!!

Hereditary Princess, I'm glad to hear you're getting help battling your Demons. While I don't know what form your Depression takes, if you ever need a shoulder to lean on, I'm only a PM away. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Video: Duchess of Cambridge meets her match in tennis workshop with Judy Murray - Telegraph

"Kate used the Royal flight, at a cost of more than £3,000, rather than taking a train or scheduled flight which would have cost the taxpayer less than £200.
Last month, the Duchess was criticised for using the Royal helicopter to fly back to her Norfolk home after an engagement in London, when the Queen took a £55 train journey to make the same trip in reverse."

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how its constantly being portrayed that its Kate, herself, that conjures up these expensive means of royal travel. All travel for all the royals are arranged, confirmed and most of all approved by HM, The Queen before anything happens.

The whole purpose of having transportation available so that engagements can be carried out is to ensure that they can get to where they need to be and back again.

Another aspect that was brought up is that perhaps Kate could have taken a "less expensive" mode of travel. Sure, she could have but when you think about it, it would require quite a bit more security which perhaps would have required a "sweep" of the train or flight beforehand which could really inconvenience other travelers.

Exactly right. It's the Queen's flight.

Cost is only one factor. According to the Sovereign Grant Act, the following is taken into account

Safety

Security

Value for money

Length of journey

Transport which is consistent with the requirement and dignity of occasion taking into account whether the aircraft landing site is in the public eye

Which represents the most effective use of the Royal Family’s time

And which minimises disruption to others.

Last edited:

Plus the helicopters of the Queen's flight are leased. It isn't the same price as if you walked off the street and rented one for a couple of hours. The Queen coming back to London from Norfolk for £59 is bs. She is in a first class car by herself while a Royal chauffeur is driving a Range Rover full of corgi back plus probably a truck full of luggage.

The helicopter is being used how is supposed to be. Funny it's only Kate, William or Charles that gets flack for using it when all the royals use it.

If a public train or plane was used. You need security motorcade to station or airport. Plane would need sweeped, luggage checked, passengers checked, train sweeped plus multiple stops where people can get on/off, motorcade from airport/station to event. Which is more disrupt versus helicopter landing at palace and then near event?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom