The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all of this - the video message, the guest editing and I am sure appearances will all be centered around Children's Mental Health Week

This is great news and I'm looking forward into reading the article. Catherine seems to care a lot about mental health issues which is good as mental health services aren't up to standards (mostly) in the UK. There was a report about their poor standards in the news a couple of days ago and I was shocked at some of their regulations. From personal experience I can tell that pastoral care in schools is also poor in England so I hope that Catherine will be involved with the improvement of that too.

Last edited:
This is great news and I'm looking forward into reading Catherine's article. She seems to care a lot about mental health issues which is good as mental health services aren't up to standards (mostly) in the UK. There was a report about their poor standards in the news a couple of days ago and I was shocked at some of their regulations. From personal experience I can tell that pastoral care in schools is also poor in England so I hope that Catherine will be involved with the improvement of that too.

Didn't Prince William and the Countess of Wessex write articles for a newspaper, I think for the Telegraph?

I didn't think that Catherine was writing an article. She is Guest editing HuffPost for a day. She is commissioning articles from experts, young people, parents and volunteers. This is what I have read about so far.

But I like the idea of an article but I'm really pleased about the video.

I didn't think that Catherine was writing an article. She is Guest editing HuffPost for a day. She is commissioning articles from experts, young people, parents and volunteers. This is what I have read about so far.

But I like the idea of an article but I'm really pleased about the video.

I know, that was a simple misreading on my part. I've edited my post to avoid further confusion.

From the Huffington Post article she is only inviting people to KP to write stories about mental health.

She will probably select a few of these and the Huffington Post will publish them.

It does not appear as if she will be writing anything unless she writes an introduction.

I can remember Charles guest editing Town and Country magazine. There were articles written by others - all covering his interests and rural patronages but he did write an article.

MY thought was that is would be more of an introduction, plus the video.

From my perspective, it seems like Kate is doing what Harry and William have done quite a few times, going above and beyond just lending the royal cypher to a patronage and a photo op.

Getting really involved in this Mental Health Week (its late here and I'm not sure if she instigated this week or someone else did), is really getting her actively involved. Its not only the guest editing of the Huffington Post but also gathering those that write the articles and putting them together to make a good presentation, most likely getting the PR spinning so people are well aware that this is going to be happening well before the actual date and its not one hour of showing up and smiling as she poses with the staff of HP but I am inclined to believe that she is working closely with them even a few months before this all becomes a reality.

This may be a prime example of the planning for the execution of something. Lots of planning behind the scenes and coordinating with people to assure that the Mental Health Week goes off as planned and points to a success. With this in mind, it reinforces for me that just because we don't "see" her on official royal engagements and some see it as "not doing her part" and that she "should be doing more", that actually she does throw more energy and time and thought into things more than she is given credit for.

Perhaps this is a reason for a certain royal reporter, Richard Palmer's feelings of dissension. The new kids on the block (WH&K) are a new breed of royals. They not only lend their name, royalness, smiles and waves and seal of approval to what they're passionate about but also taking a very active role in how to go about making the changes that are needed. Just like with Kate taking and releasing photographs and eliminating the "royal photographer", as a proud mother, she can do it herself.

Get ready for it world, the new breed of royals are more "normal" than you think.

Charles is a published author, has been for decades, it isn't surprising he would have contributed an article himself. Kate has likely not written anything since her last college paper. It will be enough to have her name associated with the articles, and hand choosing which ones, to get the charity the publicity needed. As well as a video.

Charles is a published author, has been for decades, it isn't surprising he would have contributed an article himself. Kate has likely not written anything since her last college paper. It will be enough to have her name associated with the articles, and hand choosing which ones, to get the charity the publicity needed. As well as a video.

I agree. It would have probably been far easier for her to just write an "open letter" or something along those lines than to do what she is doing which, in my eyes, shows far more involvement.

On an off note, I've just come across Charles' "Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World" among my books and it never fails to remind me of just how much meticulous thought was put into the actual book itself.

Picking through articles is harder than actually writing one? Sorry but no. She doesn't simply need to pen an open letter. She would be expected to write an eloquent, well thought out article. Based on her speeches, I don't see her at that level yet. Unless she had it ghost written, best for her to leave writing the articles to professionals, and to use her still limited understanding of the topic, to choose which articles to include. I am sure she will likely have advisors as with a new patronage, likely has a lot to learn still to make such choices.

Picking through articles is harder than actually writing one? Sorry but no. She doesn't simply need to pen an open letter. She would be expected to write an eloquent, well thought out article. Based on her speeches, I don't see her at that level yet. Unless she had it ghost written, best for her to leave writing the articles to professionals, and to use her still limited understanding of the topic, to choose which articles to include. I am sure she will likely have advisors as with a new patronage, likely has a lot to learn still to make such choices.

That's exactly the point I was trying to put across in my addled brain state late at night. :D

I said she "could" have just penned an open letter or had her ghost writers do one for her. In my post I stated "I agree. It would have probably been far easier for her to just write an "open letter" or something along those lines than to do what she is doing which, in my eyes, shows far more involvement."

She knows her limitations well in my book. I was agreeing with you.

Last edited:
I love the way she is slowly building her profile in the mental health sphere as this will be more beneficial to the cause. Its similar to the way that William has slowly raised his profile in the conservation world and has become quite influential in that sphere , thus even managing to get China involved, which was huge. He would not have the same effect if he just attended events, he has instead come up with different ways to help the cause and has become an inportant figure in the conservation world. Same with Diana (landmines,HIV), Harry (Vets), Charles (environment), Camilla (osteoporosis) and all the other royals.

I feel that this is the same approach that Catherine is using, she has had a focus on mental health for a while now but it intensified after Charlottes birth. This guest editor role is just a different way to get mental health on peoples minds. She may just be "only" selecting the articles and bringing the expects together but lets be honest, Huffpost is only willing to dedicate a day to this cause because of her involvement. And thats the role that Royals play, to open doors to these charities that may be quite difficult for them to do on their own.

Looking forward to it and may more interesting ideas from the team in the future.

Last edited:
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will join @HuffPostUK as guest editor from Kensington Palace on Wednesday 17th Feb

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
HRH will be highlighting the importance of children's mental health and helping to launch #YoungMindsMatter

...On 17 February, Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge, will join editors at HuffPost UK as guest editor to specifically help raise awareness of this issue and help us launch Young Minds Matter.

Using the hashtag #youngmindsmatter we will discuss the problems, causes and also most importantly the solutions to the stigma surrounding the UK's mental health crisis among children...

...Under guidance from Kensington Palace, my team has been working on a series of original articles, blogs and videos commissioned by the Duchess. They all aim to inspire families and teachers to lead the conversation with children about mental health, so youngsters feel loved, valued and listened to...

...The Duchess has always been publicly clear about her passion around this subject, especially in her role as patron for Place2Be. That's why #youngmindsmatter will launch by focusing on the areas she values highly, including programmes aimed to help primary aged children, efforts at early intervention, the importance of breaking the cycle of multi-generational mental health issues and the progress being made through art therapy...
Read more: Introducing Young Minds MatterÂ*|Â*Stephen Hull

"It is estimated that three children in every British school classroom has a mental health problem and symptoms of depression are evident in a fifth of children. It's no surprise that related issues such as anxiety and suicide roll seamlessly on into adult life leaving a trail of missed opportunity, unfulfilled potential and loss."

I have twenty plus years of experience teaching/substitute teaching in American public schools and I agree with the estimate mentioned in that paragraph. However I am relieved to say that in recent years parents/teachers appear to be more willing to request mental health services for their student(s).:) I am currently subbing at my children's former elementary school about two days a week. The guidance counselor has increased her hours/days at the site and is seeing more children in a small group setting.

"It is estimated that three children in every British school classroom has a mental health problem and symptoms of depression are evident in a fifth of children. It's no surprise that related issues such as anxiety and suicide roll seamlessly on into adult life leaving a trail of missed opportunity, unfulfilled potential and loss."

I have twenty plus years of experience teaching/substitute teaching in American public schools and I agree with the estimate mentioned in that paragraph. However I am relieved to say that in recent years parents/teachers appear to be more willing to request mental health services for their student(s).:) I am currently subbing at my children's former elementary school about two days a week. The guidance counselor has increased her hours/days at the site and is seeing more children in a small group setting.
My mum is a special ed teacher here in Sweden and that estimate sounds very true according to her experience as well. I'm really happy these kinds of things are talked about. I've seen teens that had tried to take their own life at age 9 or 11 write to Kate blogs and similar about how much it meant to them that someone like Kate is speaking and putting their name behind an issue like that.

how fun it must be to be having your walk in kensington gardens only to spot a helicopter and kate walking towards it!
i wonder where they park this helicopter when they are picked up from kensington palace. i pressume their garden is not large enough for a helicopter to land, so i guess they must have landed in proximity to the palace but in the 'public' part of kensington gardens? (particularly if people could see it and take pictures of it)

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder where they park this helicopter when they are picked up from kensington palace. i

I've always thought the field just NW of the Orangery looked like a good spot. The street is restricted, embassies to the west, KP to the South. Just a guess. Coordinates are:
51°30'25.9"N 0°11'21.1"W

Last edited:
In fairness I never see the point in any royal using a helicopter if they only have 1 engagement in a day, especially if its in London. Kate could have taken the train as well couldn't she?

I love the comments. One suggests Kate was basically doing a favor to the queen as helicopters cant remain on standby, like a washing machine they need to be used from time to time. She was just doing a service for the queen. How thoughtful, wouldn't want the helicopter to get rusty :ROFLMAO:

Its not like Kate just upped and decided to call for a helicopter. For official royal duties, the transportation modes, I believe, have to be authorized by the Queen as the helicopter is usually available for use by all of the royal family as needed.

Leave it to the Fail to put the onus on Kate.

People do tend to forget that it's The Queen that approves the use of the helicopter. No one complains when The Queen, Sophie and Anne uses the helicopter. Catherine uses it and the whole world comes down on her.

Also, The Queen always take the train back from her vacation at Sandringham. So the DM shouldn't act like The Queen is mindful of costs on using the helicopter.

Funny how people complain about the numbers of Catherine's engagements, but when she gets to work and use the royal transport to get to and from her engagements, there's a problem.

Folks just need to relax and let the lady do what she have to do.

Catherine is often a victim of blatant double standards.

It reminds me of April 2013 when Catherine was bashed for taking a helicopter to an engagement. Harry took a helicopter the same day(a shorter distance for him), and he received no negative response.

Even Victoria Arbiter found the hypocrisy upsetting. Here were a couple of her tweets.

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 25 Apr 2013
I do find it interesting that Kate arrives by helicopter + everyone goes nuts but Harry does the same + no one bats an eyelid.

Harry spared because he's a blood royal or because he's a guy? Men are often less harshly judged. What do you think? #helicopter

People do tend to forget that it's The Queen that approves the use of the helicopter. No one complains when The Queen, Sophie and Anne uses the helicopter. Catherine uses it and the whole world comes down on her.

Also, The Queen always take the train back from her vacation at Sandringham. So the DM shouldn't act like The Queen is mindful of costs on using the helicopter.

Funny how people complain about the numbers of Catherine's engagements, but when she gets to work and use the royal transport to get to and from her engagements, there's a problem.

Folks just need to relax and let the lady do what she have to do.

Bit contradictory there. The fact that she always takes the train seems to be proof she is mindful of the cost of the helicopter. Now if this was the first time she took the train and usually took the helicopter, I could understand your argument.

I didn't realize the train was booked full and the roads were shut down. You make it sound like there was no other way for her to get there. She has to work yes, she doesn't have to fly there.

As for other royals: They get just as much flack for flying as Kate does. Sophie certainly did when flying between two engagements in one day, where there was not the time to physically drive between the two (one certainly could argue they should have scheduled better). As has Anne.

Bit contradictory there. The fact that she always takes the train seems to be proof she is mindful of the cost of the helicopter. Now if this was the first time she took the train and usually took the helicopter, I could understand your argument.

I didn't realize the train was booked full and the roads were shut down. You make it sound like there was no other way for her to get there. She has to work yes, she doesn't have to fly there.

You are making an unfair comparison. Catherine was on official engagement. The Queen was on her private time returning from her Christmas break. If Catherine was using the helicopter for private time, then I agree she should be questioned.

Also, The Queen used the train on a Monday into London. Where the service would have ready and available. Catherine would have needed a train on a Sunday into rural Norfolk. As someone who uses public transportation on a regular basis I can assure you the Sunday schedules are spotty at best. I can't even go into the suburbs on Sunday, let alone farm country. But like I said Catherine was on official business so this is all moot.

Catherine is often a victim of blatant double standards.

It reminds me of April 2013 when Catherine was bashed for taking a helicopter to an engagement. Harry took a helicopter the same day(a shorter distance for him), and he received no negative response.

Even Victoria Arbiter found the hypocrisy upsetting. Here were a couple of her tweets.

I do find it interesting that Kate arrives by helicopter + everyone goes nuts but Harry does the same + no one bats an eyelid.

Harry spared because he's a blood royal or because he's a guy? Men are often less harshly judged. What do you think? #helicopter

Kate using the helicopter covered two bases.
According to the Sovereign Grant Act, official royal travel is a member of the royal family carrying out an official function and
Senior members of the royal family travelling between residences.

Kate did both that day.

The other part about the Queen travelling by train is funny. Its just a token royal tradition.
Her extensive entourage of flunkies also has to travel back to London, the Queen's household travels with her.

Last edited:
You are making an unfair comparison. Catherine was on official engagement. The Queen was on her private time returning from her Christmas break. If Catherine was using the helicopter for private time, then I agree she should be questioned.

Also, The Queen used the train on a Monday into London. Where the service would have ready and available. Catherine would have needed a train on a Sunday into rural Norfolk. As someone who uses public transportation on a regular basis I can assure you the Sunday schedules are spotty at best. I can't even go into the suburbs on Sunday, let alone farm country. But like I said Catherine was on official business so this is all moot.

Whilst ordinarily I would not take notice, there are regular trains between London Kings Cross and Kings Lynn and Catherine could just as easily have taken the train on Sunday before and after the engagement. On this occasion, 8 do think the Duchess could have used the train.

Whilst ordinarily I would not take notice, there are regular trains between London Kings Cross and Kings Lynn and Catherine could just as easily have taken the train on Sunday before and after the engagement. On this occasion, 8 do think the Duchess could have used the train.

I've never been to England so I'll take your word for it. I just know that public transportation is a headache on Sundays when you're in the Twin Cities or Chicago.

But like I said it's a moot point because she was on official duty. If Charles is allowed to fly in from Highgrove, Anne from Gatcombe, and Andrew from Windsor, etc.. then I don't know why she should be harangued for following suit.

There just seems to be some classist undertones in the media. That helicopters are fine for royals, but that middle-class gal, who we refuse to call by her title, better not get too big for her britches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom