The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Commoner

I like how Kate focuses on kids mental health because as a child as we can all remember no one really cared, our mental health wasnt really supposed to be focused on, because kids cannot be 'depressed' or 'mentally ill'. I remember once visiting my counselor at school [just to talk about careers] and her advice was 'all you have to do is eat sleep and study, you dont have to worry about what your parents worry about at this age, so whats the problem?!! '. I will never forget that, thankfully I continued on, on my own, but it put me off any therapists/psychologists forever, lol. I still wouldn't visit one because I am of the opinion they arent really helpful.

The people who have serious conditions which affect their daily lives, depression, suicidal tendencies, anxiety, addiction in this case, etc should seek help and the help should be there when they seek it out.

Quote:
That one person talking to Kate about being five, finding the margarine container filled w/the syringes and knowing what they were and why they were there...At five knowing that? Just...:(
OMG that's just sad, was this in the DM article, I missed it. This is what we should focus on from her visit.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Excellent points tiaras. I believe that the public would be shocked at how "knowledgeable" some young children are when it comes to drug use if they're around it from a very early age.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaras View Post
I like how Kate focuses on kids mental health because as a child as we can all remember no one really cared, our mental health wasnt really supposed to be focused on, because kids cannot be 'depressed' or 'mentally ill'. I remember once visiting my counselor at school [just to talk about careers] and her advice was 'all you have to do is eat sleep and study, you dont have to worry about what your parents worry about at this age, so whats the problem?!! '. I will never forget that, thankfully I continued on, on my own, but it put me off any therapists/psychologists forever, lol. I still wouldn't visit one because I am of the opinion they arent really helpful.

The people who have serious conditions which affect their daily lives, depression, suicidal tendencies, anxiety, addiction in this case, etc should seek help and the help should be there when they seek it out.

OMG that's just sad, was this in the DM article, I missed it. This is what we should focus on from her visit.
Excellent points. As a child, I remember being told similar things, not just by therapists, but by my family as well. To this day, my grandmother thinks that if you try hard enough, you can pull yourself out of depression. If only it were that easy! As if I'm being sad, and anxious on purpose . Catherine is doing great service to the children who are dealing with difficult situations, because more often than not, the adults that are supposed to be supportive are not aware of just how heavily children are impacted by drug use, parental arguments, financial hardships, etc.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A new tweet from KP:

‏@KensingtonRoyal: We look forward to rest of The Duchess's Autumn programme, focusing on early intervention, mental health, and addiction.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Anne has visited prisons for some time though not with great publicity. In February she was at Bridgend prison in the UK on behalf of a programme to prevent young prisoners from reoffending.
Charles visited Leeds prison a few days ago as he has a charity, Mosaic, that does the same thing. Little publicity again.
I am glad Kate went to see the formerly addicted prisoners at the women's prison, I truly am, but don't let's pretend that this is cutting edge stuff when other members of the BRF and probably other members of other royal houses do the same sort of thing without huge amounts of press.
I am very glad to hear about other royals taking an interest in prisoners. Just recently I saw that President Obama went to visit prisoners as well. I aplaid all those who have a voice no mattet how small for putting focus on the pruson systems.
I am more sympathetic to criminals than I am to addicts; someone once said we are all one mistake away from going to prison.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I am very glad to hear about other royals taking an interest in prisoners. Just recently I saw that President Obama went to visit prisoners as well. I aplaid all those who have a voice no mattet how small for putting focus on the pruson systems.
I am more sympathetic to criminals than I am to addicts; someone once said we are all one mistake away from going to prison.
Yeah, I saw the coverage of Obama's prison visit a few days ago, and now Kate - not that they're the first high-profile people to visit prisoners by any means, but coincidental that it's something that's received an additional amount of coverage in the past week or so. Am certainly glad to see that attention is being paid to the the difficulties prisoners face.

I would also add that a lot of criminals are addicts. And, personally, I think the that saying "we're all one mistake away from . . ." can apply to becoming an addict just as much as it can apply to going to prison. I think education on both issues is important.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

And in many cases, addicts are hurting no one but themselves and those who love them. Criminals- by the time they're caught and convicted- may have hurt many,many, people. And of course, some addicts do commit crimes to feed their addiction.

I'm trying to figure out which criminals are more worthy of pity than are addicts.

Some towns are moving toward taking addicts to treatment rather than to jail.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
And in many cases, addicts are hurting no one but themselves and those who love them. Criminals- by the time they're caught and convicted- may have hurt many,many, people. And of course, some addicts do commit crimes to feed their addiction.

I'm trying to figure out which criminals are more worthy of pity than are addicts.

Some towns are moving toward taking addicts to treatment rather than to jail.
No matter what the reason be it addiction, committing a crime that requires incarceration or even the 1st DUI with a sentence of going to rehab, the most important factor here I think is to remember that no matter what, these people are still very much human beings and as long as there is life, there is hope. Supporting and loving someone until they can learn to love themselves works wonders.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Amen...

And bless those poor souls and those who love them and try to help them.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaras View Post

The Telegraph I think. I can't access the DM on the iPad anymore for some reason.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duchess of Cambridge will see @ChanceUK early intervention child mentoring programme at an Islington Town Hall event on October 27

Chance UK @ChanceUK
Such an exciting day for us all here at CUK #DuchessofCambridge has announced a visit 27/10 @IslingtonBC
News & media - Chance UK
Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah

The Duchess of Cambridge will see @ChanceUK early intervention child mentoring programme at an Islington Town Hall event on October 27

Chance UK @ChanceUK

Such an exciting day for us all here at CUK #DuchessofCambridge has announced a visit 27/10 @IslingtonBC

News & media - Chance UK
Saw this in my fb page, and can't wait to see the pictures, and videos. Catherine is amazing when it comes to interacting with children.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Live: Kate Middleton set to meet kids and parents in north London children's charity visit - Mirror Online
Old 10-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Great charities Kate is visiting today

Home - Chance UK

TwentyTwenty – Bright futures for young people
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Great that she is visiting her charities. Good job Kate.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Love these pictures. I have no words. Kate is her best with children- love to see her listening with her heart.
Has she visited 20/20 yet?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3 mins3 minutes ago
Kate revealed today she took Prince George to the Natural History Museum but he was more interested in a pigeon outside!
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

That's hysterical. I was at the Detroit Zoo couple of years ago and there were lots of little school kids there at the same time. They were more interested in the chipmunks and squirrels running around the zoo instead of the animals in the exhibits.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3 mins3 minutes ago
Kate revealed today she took Prince George to the Natural History Museum but he was more interested in a pigeon outside!
Hhaha, that's amazing! And so relatable!

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge