The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The delivery was fine. Kate is as good if not better than her brother-in-law but its the message that's most important. All the newspapers are covering it as well as the BBC and Sky.

Our breakfast morning show in Toronto even covered it.

Dr Andrew Mayers ‏@DrAndyMayers 11 mins11 minutes ago
Great media coverage about children's #mentalhealth, largely thanks to Duchess of Cambridge's video message http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31483315 … @Place2Be
I am so happy this is gaining traction! Such an important conversation to have in this world and I'm happy the Duchess could help set the ball in motion!

How is going to state the solution to the problems if she doesn't listen and learn from the experts Richard Palmer? Like usual he is making it about himself.

She sounds fine to me, she doesn't sound any different from when Mary read her speech but what do I know, I ain't a teacher #shrug.

I cannot see why the Duchess should need a voice coach. The pace and pitch was fine and she articulated perfectly clearly. Yes, there are aspects she will work on over time to perhaps convey her personality a little more, but in this particular case this wouldn't be appropriate anyway.

Last edited:
Information on Kate's private visit to Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School

Duchess of Cambridge visits South London and Maudsley - South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
The Duchess of Cambridge visited pupils and staff at Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in Beckenham on Tuesday 10 February in her role as patron of charity Place2Be. The visit was private and was not publicised in advance.

A Kensington Palace spokeswoman said: “This visit was arranged through Place2Be, of which Her Royal Highness is Royal Patron, after learning about their work during the Place 2 Reflect conference last year to further develop her knowledge of the sector."

The Duchess listened to the school's head teacher Dr John Ivens, an educational psychologist; speak at the Place2Be conference on children's mental health in June.

Dr John Ivens said: “The Duchess`s visit went exceptionally well. The pupils in the school who came from Acorn Lodge, the Bethlem Adolescent Unit, Snowsfields Adolescent Unit and the Intensive Treatment Programme, were able to meet and talk with her, either directly or by video conferencing.”

“I am sure it was an experience that they will remember forever. The visit came as a result of a talk given last summer on the work that goes on both in the hospital and the school. The Duchess`s three hour visit showed this was of keen interest to her.

“The Duchess also took part in a science experiment with children at the school`s Maudsley site through a video conference."

The Duchess became patron of Place2Be - the leading UK provider of school-based mental health support in 2013 and is passionate about its cause. She has become closely involved with its attempts to provide early intervention for children before problems escalate.

The school, which is run by the London Borough of Southwark, provides education to SLaM inpatients at Bethlem and Maudsley Hospitals up to the age of 19.

Whilst at the school the Duchess recorded a video message to support the UK’s first Children’s Mental Health Week (16 – 22 February 2015).

How is going to state the solution to the problems if she doesn't listen and learn from the experts Richard Palmer? Like usual he is making it about himself.

She sounds fine to me, she doesn't sound any different from when Mary read her speech but what do I know, I ain't a teacher #shrug.

It's very important to listen and learn and Catherine is doing just that. I think what Richard is saying, that it would be nice to hear her voicing her passion and concerns for her charities and other organizations that's close to her heart. I happen to agree with him.

She delivered her message very well and I hope her voice continue to raise awareness for Children's Mental Health. The more she voice her concerns, the more awareness she can bring to great causes like this.

Last edited:
She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.

I usually just read, but felt I needed to comment on this. The Duchess of Cambridge isn't in school and it's beyond ridiculous to grade as if she is. She is making a public appeal about an issue that she feels strongly about and which she felt needed a direct approach rather than just showing up and smiling for the cameras. Her speech was excellent and her delivery was flawless IMO. William, who has been in the public spotlight his entire life couldn't have done much better. It just goes to show that certain people will never give her any credit no matter what she does. I don't get it. :bang:

Last edited:
I usually just read, but felt I needed to comment on this. The Duchess of Cambridge isn't in school and it's beyond ridiculous to grade as if she is. She is making a public appeal about an issue that she feels strongly about and which she felt needed a direct approach rather than just showing up and smiling for the cameras. Her speech was excellent and her delivery was flawless IMO. William, who has been in the public spotlight his entire life couldn't have done much better. It just goes to show that certain people will never give her any credit no matter what she does. I don't get it. :bang:

Can't get too upset about it. Catherine will never be able to fully satisfy everyone. Her direct approach is much better, I think. I just hope she continue to do things like this, because I think her voice should be heard more.

She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.

I disagree with this entire post except the last statement about it being a good cause.

I thought that she delivered the message clearly and concisely without hesitation, which is always a problem when using autocue (I'm assuming that's what she was doing). Great eye contact directly to the camera.

She has also worked at improvement as comparison with the hospice video, done 2013, shows.

She is gaining in confidence all the time and it shows.

I've coached people on public speaking. She's doing great.

I disagree with this entire post except the last statement about it being a good cause.

I thought that she delivered the message clearly and concisely without hesitation, which is always a problem when using autocue (I'm assuming that's what she was doing). Great eye contact directly to the camera.

She has also worked at improvement as comparison with the hospice video, done 2013, shows.

She is gaining in confidence all the time and it shows.

I've coached people on public speaking. She's doing great.
I agree. You can detect nervousness, but to me it just makes her seem human and not robotic. It also wouldn't be her to talk over passionately and such. She is a calm woman and it would just seem forced/condescending if she sounded to enthusiastic.

I think Catherine does just fine when speaking publicly, and especially when connecting with people. She's bringing light to a very important cause, and it's obvious she cares about it quite deeply. I think her passion will come across through her actions, which is so much more important.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I thought that her delivery in this public service announcement was very good. She sounded serious and natural.:flowers:

The important thing is she did it. Good for her.
The more she does the better she will become

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think Catherine does just fine when speaking publicly, and especially when connecting with people. She's bringing light to a very important cause, and it's obvious she cares about it quite deeply. I think her passion will come across through her actions, which is so much more important.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Agreed! That, and the fact that she stayed 3 hours, and that mother's tweet tells me all I need to know. She cares. Who cares about a speech?

Place2Be ‏@Place2Be
200K people watched our new video! http://ow.ly/JbhKD @KensingtonRoyal #ChildrensMHW

In less than 36 hours, our 'Children's Mental Health Week' video recorded by our Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, has been viewed over 200,000 times!

We'd like to say an enormous thank you to everyone who is sharing, tweeting, and posting by having more open conversations about children's mental health, we can all help change attitudes and protect children from more complex and serious problems when they reach adulthood.

Please continue to share it with your friends, families and networks throughout 'Children's Mental Health Week'!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! The Catherine effect!

Shows to go ya that its not so much in the delivery but what's in the message and from what I've seen, there's been an awesome response.

What is in the message, and who says it. ;) Very true, Osipi!

Shows to go ya that its not so much in the delivery but what's in the message and from what I've seen, there's been an awesome response.

I agree, Catherine's message is reaching a great deal of people and that's the most important thing. Catherine can use her passion and voice to do some amazing things. I hope she continue to voice her concerns more often now.

This is a great cause and I'm glad that Kate is involved and bringing more attention to it.

I think her delivery is fine. When I look back at her other video speeches, I can really see how much she has improved.

Its really amazing the fan base Kate has on social media. Everything she does gets retweeted and shared thousands of times.

Its no wonder her charities love her so much

Its really amazing the fan base Kate has on social media. Everything she does gets retweeted and shared thousands of times.

Its no wonder her charities love her so much

Although a large percentage of her fan base comes mostly from interest in fashion and what she wears, it still serves as a springboard to getting her message out to the general population the more serious aspects that Kate is trying to call attention to. Its a win win situation in my book.

That's awesome! The Catherine effect!

Yes! Just goes to show how much influence she has. People listen to what she says, and that's what counts. She can open doors to so many causes...

Although a large percentage of her fan base comes mostly from interest in fashion and what she wears, it still serves as a springboard to getting her message out to the general population the more serious aspects that Kate is trying to call attention to. Its a win win situation in my book.

Agree 100%.

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal · 50 mins 50 minutes ago
Here's our feature on The Duchess of Cambridge's work on child mental health #ChildrensMHW

Child Mental Health
The Duchess of Cambridge is a committed champion of issues related to children’s mental health and emotional wellbeing.

Her Royal Highness has worked to bring wider public attention to the fact that issues facing children today such as addiction, poverty, abuse, neglect, loss and illness of family members, can have a long-lasting and traumatic impact if left unsupported.

In particular Her Royal Highness has highlighted the need for early intervention mental health support for young people, to tackle these issues at the earliest possible stage, so that children have the brightest possible futures, as they deserve.

The Duchess has been publicly involved in this area since she became Royal Patron of Place2Be in 2013, an organisation which works within schools to provide early support.

Benita Refson OBE, President and Founding Trustee, said of the patronage: "By helping to raise awareness of Place2Be's early intervention work in schools, The Duchess will also help the charity to reach even more of the UK's most vulnerable children and their families who so desperately need support."
Click on the link to read more

The Duchess of Cambridge is urging parents, teachers and health professionals to give child mental health the attention and focus it deserves.

Great strides have been made in tackling the stigma around adult mental health, she said, and she hoped that the same would now happen with children’s psychological illnesses.

“I have been heartened to see that so much progress has been made in ending the taboo of adults openly treating mental well-being as the health issue it is,” she said in a message to The Times. “I believe that our generation of parents, carers, teachers, and health workers now have the chance to give the mental health of our children the focus it requires.”
More: Time to help the children, says Kate | The Times

Last edited:
So great that this is an area she plans to focus on!! :) I hope some of the places she has visited this year will become her patronages :) Such an important area that can "cure" so many future problems!!

From what I've seen over the past couple of years, Kate seems to getting her foot in the door with areas that not only focus on certain aspects of children and families but also integrating how they can work together side by side to provide more education, assistance and support. Sometimes problems are something that have multiple consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom