The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pleasantly surprised by the patronages that Kate chose. I'm really excited. I too am a little confused as to what kind of work she will do with the Nation Potrait Gallery other than visiting events and exhibits, but then every royal has a patronage in which it is mostly just a show up and and show support to garner interest kind of thing. Either way I don't care, I'm just so darn excited!

What I like is the cross over possibilities of Kate and William's charity work. The addiction charity and Centerpointe could work together since addiction often leads to homelessness.The NPG and Art room could work together. The Mardsen & Cambridge Hospice The welsh cub scouts could buddy up with Irish Guards, RAF Sar, Army Air Corps to adopt a serviceman. Field trip to RAF Valley to check out the Sea King ? I bet Kate will drop off some nice macaroni diamond julibee cards to her Majesty this summer as the scouts earn some merit badges.

What I like is the cross over possibilities of Kate and William's charity work. The addiction charity and Centerpointe could work together since addiction often leads to homelessness.The NPG and Art room could work together. The Mardsen & Cambridge Hospice The welsh cub scouts could buddy up with Irish Guards, RAF Sar, Army Air Corps to adopt a serviceman. Field trip to RAF Valley to check out the Sea King ? I bet Kate will drop off some nice macaroni diamond julibee cards to her Majesty this summer as the scouts earn some merit badges.

Wow! These are great ideas, and I really hope that some of them will actually be put into action. I love the idea of the kids making cards for Her Majesty, or visiting the RAF base and getting to climb on a helicopter. So many possibilities here.

Am I the only person who is not too keen on the Scouting involvement?

(Personally, I have never liked Scouting, ever since I heard some police talking about how it inevitably becomes a magnet for pedophiles). I realize they try to be careful about vetting the volunteers, and that the same may be said about any organization that deals with children, but it still makes me uneasy).

I think Kate might have chosen another organization dealing with children, particularly since the Queen is already the patron of this one.

In the UK it has actually become quite difficult to volunteer with children. Kate will have to go through a number of checks, including a full Criminal Records Bureau check before she can get involved with the children.

There is a waiting list of something like 30,000 children in the UK who want to join the Scouts but are on a waiting list because of the lack of volunteers. The very rigorous background checks have been, in part, blamed for the lack of volunteers. People just don't want to go through the hassle.

So in volunteering Kate's really encouraging other adults to do the same. The Scouts is a wonderful organisation which I'm sure does all it possibly can to ensure that children are kept safe during their time with them.

See the following link for info on the checks Kate will have to undergo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-criminal-records-check-Scouts-volunteer.html

Last edited:
It has emerged that even the Duchess of Cambridge underwent a check by the Criminal Records Bureau before becoming a volunteer for the Scouts

Read more: Kate Middleton underwent criminal records check to become Scouts volunteer | Mail Online

When adults are going to interact with children, I think background checks are necessary. Sad, but necessary. And making a high ranking royal go through the background check prevents the organization from being accused of favoritism. Kudos to Kate for just doing it versus getting all high and mighty about it just because of her new found status.

I honestly don't think that a person with pedophile tendencies could get into Scout leadership these days. Besides the criminal-background checks, there's training for leaders in how they should behave to prevent even the slightest suggestion of impropriety. My brother was a Scout leader at one time and told me about all the rules they had to follow. One firm one was that a leader could never be alone with a child.

(Personally, I have never liked Scouting, ever since I heard some police talking about how it inevitably becomes a magnet for pedophiles). I realize they try to be careful about vetting the volunteers, and that the same may be said about any organization that deals with children, but it still makes me uneasy).

As a Scout volunteer (Girl Scout leader in the US), I am thrilled beyond measure at Kate's decision to volunteer with Scouting. I have seen firsthand how difficult it can be to recruit adult volunteers. And it breaks my heart to know that 30,000+ children are being denied the opportunities that this great organization affords its members. I don't know specifics about UK Scouting and Guiding, but here in the US, Scouting promotes self-esteem, self-sufficiency, entrepreneurship, among other things, and above all, community service. I would imagine it is the same with Scouting world-wide. These are ideals that are sorely lacking in too many of today's youth. If our world is to improve, we need these young people involved in organizations like Scouting. And if just one adult volunteers due to Kate's involvement, then that is several children (future adults) who are destined for a different path in life. Kudos to Kate!

It has emerged that even the Duchess of Cambridge underwent a check by the Criminal Records Bureau before becoming a volunteer for the Scouts

Read more: Kate Middleton underwent criminal records check to become Scouts volunteer | Mail Online

Working with children is a big responsibility, and whether one is royal or not, it's important to make sure that the person that is being taken on is not going to engage in foul play (and hasn't done so in the past).

When adults are going to interact with children, I think background checks are necessary. Sad, but necessary. And making a high ranking royal go through the background check prevents the organization from being accused of favoritism. Kudos to Kate for just doing it versus getting all high and mighty about it just because of her new found status.

In complete agreement here.

I honestly don't think that a person with pedophile tendencies could get into Scout leadership these days. Besides the criminal-background checks, there's training for leaders in how they should behave to prevent even the slightest suggestion of impropriety. My brother was a Scout leader at one time and told me about all the rules they had to follow. One firm one was that a leader could never be alone with a child.

I've worked with children since I was sixteen years old, and as the years went by, the background checks got more and more rigorous. Also, as you said, one of the rules is that no volunteer or even paid personnel in some cases is allowed to be alone with a child (unless the person is assigned to a specific child as a one-to-one aide, as is the case in many special education establishments).

My contribution for today is in the form of two articles found on my twitter feed (well one is blog post).

From British Royals

Duchess of Cambridge Announces Patronages | British Royals

From 'The Telegraph'

Here’s one Duchess who won’t be tied up in knots - Telegraph

I get that she's dealing with children and it's probably protocol to background check everyone. But I think it's ridiculous if you know the person. Kate is well known celebrity I don't see why she needs a background check.

I get that she's dealing with children and it's probably protocol to background check everyone. But I think it's ridiculous if you know the person. Kate is well known celebrity I don't see why she needs a background check.

I think that if they didn't have her go through a background check, there would be accusations that they are playing favorites and allowing someone to get away with going through regular procedures just because he/she is a high profile individual. In this case, equal treatment is the way to go.

As a Scout volunteer (Girl Scout leader in the US), I am thrilled beyond measure at Kate's decision to volunteer with Scouting. I have seen firsthand how difficult it can be to recruit adult volunteers. And it breaks my heart to know that 30,000+ children are being denied the opportunities that this great organization affords its members. I don't know specifics about UK Scouting and Guiding, but here in the US, Scouting promotes self-esteem, self-sufficiency, entrepreneurship, among other things, and above all, community service. I would imagine it is the same with Scouting world-wide. These are ideals that are sorely lacking in too many of today's youth. If our world is to improve, we need these young people involved in organizations like Scouting. And if just one adult volunteers due to Kate's involvement, then that is several children (future adults) who are destined for a different path in life. Kudos to Kate!

I´ve also been participating in a Girls Scout Group in my country and it was such a great experience!What I like about the Scouting movement is the time you spend outdoors doing all kinds of sports & learning about nature and respecting the environment.(We were always told that we have to leave a place as clean as we have found it & if there was rubbish lying around we were tought to pick it up and take it to the next waste bin-things like that might seem neglible,but if everybody just made a few small steps to make the world a little bit better everyday our combined efforts can make a huge difference.)IMO nowadays a lot of children spend too much time watching tv,playing computer games or surfing the internet-I believe that it doesn´t do them much good and I am delighted that the Duchess has chosen to promote Scouting:)

To be honest, I am sure that the PTB carried out a complete "Vetting" of Catherine years ago. This is not the same as a criminal record check, which obviously she has none, but a deep check on her background, family, associates, etc.

Here in NZ it is a legal requirement for anyone being employed to deal with at risk people, namely children, the mentally fragile, the sick and elderly to carry out such vetting. Even many churches require Sunday School teachers and Pastoral Visitors to be vetted!

It is not merely a matter of "protocol" but if not internally mandatory, it could possibly be a legal requirement that the Scouting Movement have such checks carried out on their volunteers, regardless of who they are.

As for Catherine being a "Celebrity", well many celebrities have proved to be closet deviants. The Scouting movement merely dotted their i's and crossed the t's.

I used to be a girl scout and I admit I wouldn't volunteer with them now as an adult. I found no purpose to being involved with them as a child and see it as a waste of my time; would much rather work for the YWCA, music or art program or a child care.
I believe Kate used to be a Brownie at least and it's good to see that she had such a good experience with them that now she wants to return.

Last edited:

I think Kate might have chosen another organization dealing with children, particularly since the Queen is already the patron of this one.

As someone who has been involved in Guiding most of my life and from a Family where Guiding and Scouting is a Family thing, I have to say that's one of the most ignorant reasons I've ever heard for disliking Scouting and Guiding. They were established by the same person, so they can be considered to Brother and Sister Organizations IMO.

Guess what? Anything regarding Children and Adults working closely w/them is a magnet for Pedophiles. Not just Scouting and Guiding and to just instantly decide to dislike an excellent organization due to one statement and not learning more about it and the amazing work they do, just floors me.

As someone who is intmately involved w/both Guiding and Scouting Movements to read something like that...All I'll say is I'm beyond unimpressed and leave it at that.

Feeling that way towards something like Baby/Child Pagents I could understand, but Scouting!?!

Kate chose an excellent organization to volunteer her time w/and I'm sure the young people in whose lives she will touch, after getting over the entire "Princess Kate is my Scout Leader" thing, will never forget it either. I have no doubt whatsoever she'll be an excellent Scout Leader. Those kids are very lucky to have her.

Wow! So basically Scouting carries more than a whiff of paedophilia which Catherine should avoid but, conversely, the Queen's OK to be it's Patron?

FYI, magnets for paedophiles include (in no particular order), Church, Sunday school, pre-school, primary school, high school, sports clubs, high school football, wrestling, basketball, baseball, soccer. Scouts, Guides, Brownies, Boys/Girls Brigade, YMCA, YWCA, playgrounds, movie theatres, games arcades . . . . . oh, and let's not forget, Home!

You can safely feel "uneasy" about that, and just about any area of life that children inhabit. So perhaps Catherine would be better off avoiding any children but her own to be on the safe side, lest she interact with any adult who may be less than savoury or, lest she be tainted by association. This could, of course, prove problematic as the only Patronage she would have left is the National Portrait Gallery!

I know many people that did not really care for scouting while growing up. I think it really all depends on the individual troops and the people that make them up. I preferred scouting over taking tap/ballet (two left feet) so I guess we all find what we're geared to enjoy.

What we need to put into perspective is how much society has changed over the years. My grandmother was a Girl Scout leader, my mother was a leader and so was I. We were also stay at home moms and had the time to be very active in our troops. Things such as pedophilia, amber alerts, single parent families and/or a mother that worked wasn't as common as it is now. To be on the safe side so minds are at ease, I think the adult volunteer screening is a good idea. Scouting I think has always had the child's best interest at heart. All organizations have to adapt to the present society and the more precautions, the better.

I, for one, think that Kate's involvement in scouting is a wonderful thing and does really give back to her home community.

Promoting scouting is a wonderful idea, especially in light of the childhood obesity epidemic.
But why would she be a patron if the Queen is already a patron? Or can organizations have more than one royal patron?

Promoting scouting is a wonderful idea, especially in light of the childhood obesity epidemic.
But why would she be a patron if the Queen is already a patron? Or can organizations have more than one royal patron?

She's not a patron- she's going to be a volunteer. She's a patron of the other four charities that were named.

I was one of those people who had not a bad scouting experience but just boring and uninspiring. Now that I am twenty.....um I mean older; I look back and think that I would have liked to do ballet, but little me probably would have disliked it. I don't think it is fair to say someone's fears of pedophilia would be better directed towards pageants; any organizations with children is in danger of attracting those who have sinister motives. I remember a few years ago in the states the media was obsessed with attractive female teachers having affairs with their students. I am one of the few who would be happy with whatever Kate chose because volunteering of any kind is good imo. But from the little I have seen Kate choosing art, addiction, and scouting has roots in her personal history.

I like the selection of charities, and am particularly impressed with Action on Addiction. It is a very brave choice for someone new. The charities appear very well thought-out, reflective of her interests and they complement William's patronages.

As for the background check: I'm sure it's just formality and she'll pass with flying colors. The British tabloids have been background checking her to the nth degree for years and the worst they could do was find a drug-using uncle and a mother who chewed gum.

this is a great mix of patronages for kate. i liked how she chose small organisations, rather than going for patronages to big organisms.

i can't wait to see her working with them. i guess this will mean that she may start assuming her role solo in the near future than wait for the year they announced earlier (if i well remember it was announced it would take at least a year for her to start her engagements)

some more info on how kate chose her patronages and the next steps of her work with the chosen organisations from the EACH press release:

"The Duchess of Cambridge began her private research into charitable causes
in September 2011. The private programme undertaken by The Duchess
consisted of meetings at St. James’s Palace and private visits to a number of
sites. In addition, The Duchess personally considered all requests for
Patronage that were sent to her.
• The Duchess will, over the coming months, undertake both private and public
visits across the United Kingdom to the organisations of which she is Patron
and Royal Patron."

Does anyone know what Catherine is doing now? Are there any pictures of her visiting her charities? Things seem to be quiet at the moment.

So far no informations about her engagements. I think she would do something when William will be abroad. At least I hope that she'll do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom