The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

RAF Air Cadets ‏@aircadets Welcome HRH The Duchess of Cambridge and thank you HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Read more here: http://aitr.co/1Yhaonw https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWXL1VAWoAAa4_5.jpg

Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Is this an official link to the military? Cadets no longer all go into the military from everything I've been able to learn.
How is this different from other military schools - can someone explain. Because I do want to know.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Is this an official link to the military? Cadets no longer all go into the military from everything I've been able to learn.
How is this different from other military schools - can someone explain. Because I do want to know.
it isn't a school, its something that young people attend in their spare time. (EDIT - from about 12/13 yrs)

This is the official link https://t.co/3w5TrXH2RE

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Gentry

It was confirmed by both Kensington Palace and the RAF Air Cadets on their twitter Account.
Woah it is Amazing news from the Duchess of Cambridge
Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Great to see.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I wonder if it's like ROTC here in the U.S.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm very pleased with this appointment and I think Catherine will enjoy getting involved!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip receiving a a gift for his 63 years as patron
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWXGq_QXAAA7s1n.jpg

Kate was welcome with a book on the cadets
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWXG_WqWcAATQJR.jpg

https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...66281213288448
Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Philip became Honorary Air-Commodore-In-Chief of the RAF Air Cadets following the death of King George VI and now The Duchess of Cambridge is following in their royal footsteps
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Majesty

I wonder if Catherine will wear a uniform when visiting the cadets?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I'm so glad to see that Kate is taking over this patronage.

I expect we'll see a few more charities and patronages added in the new year.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge has become patron of the RAF Air Cadets - taking over from the Duke of Edinburgh, who has held the position for 63 years.

Her appointment as Honorary Air Commodore-in-Chief is her first military-linked role.

She will represent 42,000 air cadets aged 12-19 and 15,000 adult volunteers.

Thanking the 94-year-old duke, Air Commodore Dawn McCafferty said he was "admired and respected by cadets and volunteers alike" and would be missed.

The Duchess of Cambridge is already patron of a number of youth and mental health charities, and is a trained scout volunteer.

The Duke of Edinburgh took up his appointment with the air cadets following the death of founding patron King George VI.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge becomes RAF Air Cadets' patron - BBC News
Old 12-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wonder if Catherine will wear a uniform when visiting the cadets?
I was thinking the same thing earlier. Here is a link to an article about Carol Vorderman becoming an honorary ambassador for the cadets and she wore a uniform:

Carol Vorderman named first female honorary ambassador for RAF Air Cadets | Nottingham Post
Old 12-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton is radiant as Prince Philip passes RAF Air Cadets patronage to her | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't expect this and for a split second I got shocked when I read "The Duke of Edinburgh has passed...", but luckily it was good news!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Get a head start

We are not a recruiting organisation for the RAF but if you're thinking about a Service career, cadet membership will put you ahead of the competition. Many cadets go on to great success in the RAF (and the other Services). Around 40% of officers and 50% of all aircrew (including pilots, navigators and engineers) in the RAF now are ex-cadets. Research shows that they do better in basic training and stay in the Service longer than their colleagues. Likewise, if you chose a civilian career our research proves you can go on the great things…employers just love the skills and experience that air cadets offer.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Majesty

What excellent news for Catherine!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

2016 is the Corps' 75th anniversary. We'll probably see Kate at events throughout the year.

Quote:
The Duchess assumes her new role on the eve of the Air Training Corps’ 75th anniversary which will see cadets celebrate throughout 2016.

Air Commodore McCafferty said: “We are absolutely thrilled that HRH The Duchess of Cambridge has agreed to be our Patron.

“Her links to the RAF Family are already well established and her desire to support youth development is well recognised around the world.

“We hope that by acting as our Hon Air Commandant she can see at first hand the amazing work of our adult volunteers who deliver a truly world-class cadet experience to many thousands of young people.”
Read more: RAF. News featured on website - RAF Families Federation
Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I decided to put this here as the artilce specifically mentions Catherine's work as patron of Place2Be as well as her visits with the Anna Freud Centre and MIND

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge has topped a list of “health heroes” for her championing of children’s mental health.

Kate was praised for speaking out on a subject that for decades has suffered taboo status and continues to be under-resourced by the NHS.

Others commended by the MyHealthLondon website included the rapper Professor Green, who revealed the truth about his father’s suicide to highlight the number of young men taking their own lives, and doctor Michael Jacobs, who led the Royal Free Hospital team that saved three UK nurses from Ebola.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge tops ‘health heroes’ list for mental health campaigning | Health | News | London Evening Standard

https://www.myhealth.london.nhs.uk/n...londons-health
Old 12-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
2016 is the Corps' 75th anniversary. We'll probably see Kate at events throughout the year.

Read more: RAF. News featured on website - RAF Families Federation

This is also another Patronage that is another link in the chain not only Kate, but also Will and Harry, are creating regarding Youth and Mental Health. Our next door neighbours youngest son Nicholas was "that kid who's a trouble maker" until Fourth Grade and a Teacher who realized Nick has severe learning disabilities. While it did help Nick realize he really wasn't stupid, but just learns differently, it wasn't until Nick became old enough to follow his older brother Eric into the local Air Cadets that things really started turning around for him.

I do not recognize Nick these days, as he's simply not the same kid anymore and that is all due to the Cadets. He now looks you in the eyes when you're talking to him, instead of either being being very guarded and withdrawn as he used to be just a few short years ago, and the confidence!! It just literally shines from him and I was literally bursting w/pride when I'd heard at the Ontario Provincial Air, Sea and Army Cadets Shooting Championships earlier this year, that Nick was not only the best in Accuracy and Distance in his age range, but also one of the best across all the Age Ranges in at the Championships!!

This could have been one of the countless tragic stories we all know too well these days. Of the kid who fell through the cracks for whatever reason, started believing all that garbage we know can be said by those who have no business being Teachers, not to mention what other kids can be like and.... We end up talking about another lost kid who ended up dealing w/stress and issues no child should ever deal w/and couldn't.

Instead, Nick is blossoming and is busy fundraising for his trip as part of the contingent that will be travelling in a year and a half to take part in the events marking the Centennial of The Battle of Vimy Ridge. Which is a huge honour for any kid, but for *this* kid!?! He truly has come a very long way.

And all due to Cadets. I really think Kate taking on this Patronage will allow her, not only to see how the discipline and responsibility Cadets asks from the kids helps to build confidence and self esteem, but can also be another tool in the umbrella cause of Youth Mental Health Issues. Now, I know Cadets is not for every kid out there, but for those kids that it's not only the right fit for them, but literally be where the fork in the road took you to Depression, Despair and who knows what else or opened up a entirely new World full of potential? It is amazing what it can do for those kids. I've seen it.

I truly can not wait to see what Kate brings to her newest role and what being the new Honourary Air Commandant brings to her.

On a truly shallow note...I can not wait to see Kate in Uniform for the very first time. I truly think it will literally suit her to a tee.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app