The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it now - A new Man & Princess vs Wild episode - Kate & Bear with a pack of cub scouts camping on Mt Snowdon. Bear using Kate's engagement ring to focus the sunlight to light a fire. :)

And Kate winking at Bear ans quipping "a good scout always remembers to be prepared. I knew this ring would come in handy".:D

No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend" :flowers:

None taken, as I said, I was just thinking out loud. However, I do see Catherine taking on a heavy role in any kind of an event where the NPG is attempting to raise funds for a major restoration project. As the Patron of the NPG, that would be one of her roles as I understand it. It would also be a wonderful way for Catherine to use her Degree to her advantage, as she would be able to explain the importance of the various pieces of art and their relevance to British Culture and Heritage to those attending any such future event.

Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud... :flowers:

Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud... :flowers:

Now that makes complete sense, and intersects very well with one of her other choices- The Art Room.

I'm glad that, from what little we know so far, she appears to be going for patronages which aren't particularly glamorous. By that I mean, it's easy to go to Africa, hold a starving child for a few pictures and slope off again. Similarly with puppies and kittens. Addiction is certainly not a glamorous topic and yet it has an absolutely enormous impact on society.

It reminds me some of the charities supported by their wedding fund, Beatbullying and Venture Trust. Not very glamourous but so necessary. I had been very impressed by such a choice, and I am impressed too by the Duchess of Cambridge's news patronage. It sounds like a very wise choice, something with deep commitment.

I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.

I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.

There´s a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didn´t chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you can´t do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...

There´s a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didn´t chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you can´t do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...

I think the quantity will folllow quite quickly. I am sure this is the first in a series of announcements over the next few years. Camilla gradually built up her portfolio of patronages over the first few years of her married life. My sense is that Catherine will be quite hands on with these charities, and gradually add more. I suspect she will increasingly get involved with some of HM's charities as well, and in time, may start to take some of those over.

Nothing against her choices, but I was hoping she'd include something from the Performing Arts.
I hope she'll add more once she gets her feet wet.

So true; she'll be able to devote more of her time and energy to fewer select groups and do a more comprehensive job than spreading herself out too thin over too many. Kate can always add more as her experience grows. Best of luck to her in her new endeavors; I think she made some good choices and I'm sure she'll acquit herself admirably.

Last edited:
Some tweets from Sky News Royal Reporter Paul Harrison. He had obviously spent the last few days at least visiting these charities and talking to them about Kate.

St James' keen to stress Kate wanted to give something back to Anglesey community as William does - hence Scout volunteering

Kate arrived at the Cambridgeshire hospice and asked lots of questions armed with a portfolio of background reading

while at Cambs hospice, 13 y/o girl Madi grabbed Kate by hand and took her to play room - Kate took off her shoes to play on mats

reckon there'll be lots of dads in North Wales saying "come on son, you know you want to join the cubs."

Richard Palmer of the Daily Express reckons Kate will start her sole engagements within the next month or so.

:previous:And no doubt Cub volunteerism in N. Wales will be going up as well! That's a nice anecdote about Kate kicking off her shoes to join in the play; she really gets into her role with children and that's a very good indication of being totally involved in her role.

Last edited:
I found all of these on my twitter, so I'm sharing them with you.

A video from NBC
Duchess Kate

A video from ABC
Kate Middleton to Reveal Supported Charities | Video - ABC News

This is a very touching story, and once again, tells us a great deal about Catherine's character and level of compassion.
Cambridge News | Health-and-Beauty | Family | Caring Kate visits EACH

Some reasoning behind Catherine's choices.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Why Kate, Duchess of Cambridge chose her charities | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writers

I think for the present, she chose well (and that goes with the amount of charities she chose to support). She can get really involved and not worry about running around all over the place. That will come in a few years, I'm sure. People of course are never satisfied, so the comments in the DM 'Comment' section are not at all surprising.

Daria_S, thank you for sharing this information with us,it's a very interesting information.
Once more,I am convinced that Kate is not only intelligent person,but with strong personality.Judging from her classical choices,I think that her mind is more masculine in strategy and she really had the sense of contact with public,she never loses this sense while attending the official events.

Lenora, you're very welcome.

I think Catherine's strong personality comes from the fact that she's very self-aware, and therefore knows her own mind, likes, dislikes and capabilities. She doesn't need anyone else to tell her which organizations she should support; she can (and did) make the decision by herself. I think her ability to have such a good rapport with the public is because of the fact that she comes off as a naturally friendly person. She feels at ease being in a group of people (I don't want to say that she likes being the center of attention, because I don't see it that way). She'll make a great impact, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

I have to agree. Catherine is quite confident in her role as a royal and she is very comfortable with the public. I like the charities that she chose, it does show her compassion. I think this is a good stepping stone to her eventually adding more charities to her list. Cant wait to see her in action.

I have to agree. Catherine is quite confident in her role as a royal and she is very comfortable with the public. I like the charities that she chose, it does show her compassion. I think this is a good stepping stone to her eventually adding more charities to her list. Cant wait to see her in action.

I don't think we have to wait too long to see her in action. This is from my twitter feed.

britishroyals British Royals
RT @RoyalReporter: The Duchess of Cambridge is expected to start undertaking her first solo royal duties in the next few weeks.

Yippeee! How exciting. She really has begun her work quite quickly. She must feel she is ready to take the plunge.

She also has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable advisors !

The duchess of Cambridge made some good choices in patronages and it's good to see her support these charities.isn't she a patron of the charities that her husband supports.

I wonder if I could add a few thoughts on Catherine's recently announced patronages?

First, I am so glad that she is now putting together some royal duties. I have said elsewhere on TRF that although the last thing that we want to see is the Duchess overworked, I do think it is time she started work. She is by far the best educated of recent 'recruits' to the BRF, and at nearly 30 years old, and without having very much in the way of 'regular' employment behind her, I did think that it was time that she now actually did something, particuarly bearing in mind that William has a proper professional career. It is also perhaps quite timely for Catherine to start a busier royal career, particularly as Prince Philip and some of the other senior [in years] royals are presumably going to have to be relinquishing some of their patronages over the next few years

To answer a few questions: Yes, it is indeed the practice of many announcements to be embargoed, particularly where there is a royal connection, so as to enable the press to 'get everything in order' [the phrase sometimes used is 'lining up the ducks in a row' so that they have time to prepare the appropriate 'background story' to be released at exactly the same time as the news. If I can give members a recent example, the New Year Honours have just been announced; although they were 'officially announced' on 31 December 2011, the list had been released a couple of days previously so that the newspapers, and particularly local newspapers, could approach those honoured to get their veiws etc. This means that whilst there is an official list in the newspapers, there can be lots of articles appearing the same day in which the recipients say 'I am deeply honoured' / 'I would not have received the OBE without the support of my team' etc etc etc.

Art Charities; just to confirm that in the UK, a BA in History of Art does not qualify someone to work in restoration etc [although I do not know the position with foreign degrees in the same subject]. Restoration requires lots of experience working for master restorers etc. and is generally seen as a post-graduate opportunity. Curating is also something not usually taught in UK History of Art degrees - generally, one then joins a gallery and learns that way. In both cases, though, I think that Catherine's degree could have provided a useful starting point if she had decided on a professional career in either of these two fields.

Scouting. IMHO a fascinating choice. When I was quite young, the position in the UK was that girls were 'Girl Guides' and boys were 'Boy Scouts'. Now, girls can join the scouts, although again, when I was young, junior scouts were known as 'wolf cubs' and sometimes had female leaders. I therefore think it interesting that Catherine is joining the Scouts, not GirlGuiding [as the organisation now styles itself]. In 2012, both scouting and guiding have never been more popular, although what I also find interesting is that royal involvement in the Guiding and Scouting movement 'eased off' in the last 'royal generation' before Catherine. To explain this a little further, the Queen was a very enthusiastic Girl Guide, and was a member of the '1st Buckingham Palace Company' as it was known back in the 1930's. This company was started by the Queen Mother so that her daughter could be a Guide, and other members of the royal family [as in 'royal relatives', rather than in the sense of 'working members of the royal family] and some royal household staff members' daughters also joined the Company. At the same time, a Brownie pack was established at the palace - 'Brownies' is for those girls too young to become Guides - so that Princess Margaret could join in as well. Later, Princess Anne became a member of the 1st Buckingham Palace Company of Girl Guides. The highest award of merit is known as 'Queen's Guide'.

When your humble Diarist was young, Guiding continued to have a very close relationship with the BRF. One of the most senior figures in the movement was Princess Margaret, who became President. There was a large photo of Princess Margaret [in uniform] which hung in many guide halls. The Chief Commissioner, a very important senior position, was Mrs Derek Parker-Bowles, who was the mother of Camilla's first husband Andrew. Although the Countess of Wessex took over as President following the death of Princess Margaret, she seems to be less visible [nothing wrong with that] and of course neither William nor Harry were ever part of the Scout movement. It is therefore interesting to see a more active royal link with the movement being established with Catherine's generation.

The hospice is in Cambridgeshire, so there is a link to Catherine's title.

Action on Addiction is quite an intersting choice. Addiction is, as people here have pointed out, far from glamorous, although interestingly, this particular addiction charity has been one of the more 'fashionable' [if that is the right word] of the addiction charities for 'Society' to get involved with. Going back 15 years or so, one of the most popular fundraising balls was the charity's 'Jester Ball', held in London and all rather grand. The organisation did do quite a bit to remove the 'stigma' behind addiction.

Good Luck to Catherine; I think that royal patronages are what the particular 'royal' brings to them and so there is the chance for Catherine to carve out a real role for herself, rather than being a 'name on a piece of paper' which was the accusation often levelled at Princess Margaret, who in the end, rightly or wrongly, was thought of as rather lazy during the 1960's onwards.

Just my thoughts, and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
I found all of these on my twitter, so I'm sharing them with you.

This is a very touching story, and once again, tells us a great deal about Catherine's character and level of compassion.*
Cambridge News | Health-and-Beauty | Family | Caring Kate visits EACH
I was not surprised in the least at C's compassion, but still.... wanted to tear up! Those kids are lucky to have her!
*Agree with you Daria!
Overall, I am thrilled with C's choices. Later on, as she adds to her charities, I'd love to see a few that deal with:
  • Animals ( Might be tricky due to the whole BRF history of hunting thing! Just my opinion, not wanting to start an arguement)
  • The elderly

I think Kate picked well. I was surprised to see the direction she went into. I was expecting her to mirror more of Diana's type of patronages but it's nice seeing her make awareness to projects she cares about. Her choices makes me respect her more and it tells me a lot about her character.

If the Duchess chose to help curate an exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery ("Favorite Portraits of the Duchess of Cambridge), I suspect it would go over very well. It would also give her something to do that extends her university training. Anyone can put together a "favorites" selection - even if it's only a calendar or something.

If it were a calendar, I'd buy it (and so would many others). It would be interesting to see who she chose (and I suspect Kate would be a fine chooser and not simply grab the obvious choices).

The National Portrait Gallery has actually been involved with one of Prince Charles's charities - the Prince's Foundation for Children and the Arts and their project called Face Britain (facebritain.org.uk) whereby every child in the UK aged between 4 and 16 has been invited to submit a portrait of themselves. They will all be displayed on the website and each one will be used to make a giant mosaic of the Queen to be projected onto Buckingham Palace to kick off the Diamond Jubilee.

They're trying to break the Guinness World Record for the most artists contributing to the same art installation. Even before the project was officially launched they had 6,000 submissions.

I could see Catherine perhaps doing something on this project perhaps via the NPG? Mingling two of her main interests - art and children?

I think Kate picked well. I was surprised to see the direction she went into. I was expecting her to mirror more of Diana's type of patronages but it's nice seeing her make awareness to projects she cares about. Her choices makes me respect her more and it tells me a lot about her character.

Agreed! I was expecting she would take a path similar to Diana as well, but hoping she would not. I am thrilled she has not, because even though Diana supported some very worthy causes, the path Catherine has chosen shows that she is her own person, who does things her own way.
Even the similar causes to Diana, ( addiction, mental health, ill children, etc.) will be wonderfully different, because Cathrine will bring her own special touch.
Long story short: I do not want Catherine to be the new Diana, I want her to be Catherine, the wonderful lady that she is. I know I am not the only one.

Well said :flowers:. I'm glad she's carving her own image, with her own passions. My respect for her has definitely risen (not that it's ever been low). She's doing fabulously.

If the Duchess chose to help curate an exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery ("Favorite Portraits of the Duchess of Cambridge), I suspect it would go over very well. It would also give her something to do that extends her university training. Anyone can put together a "favorites" selection - even if it's only a calendar or something.

If it were a calendar, I'd buy it (and so would many others). It would be interesting to see who she chose (and I suspect Kate would be a fine chooser and not simply grab the obvious choices).

Oh, if she were to curate and exhibit, there would be a great turnout (and maybe even get those who are not keen on art interested in it). I would go just to see what her tastes are (and to see the works displayed at NPG). A calendar of her favorite pieces would be a great way to raise funds. Those who cannot attend the exhibit can purchase the calendar and see what NPG has to offer (and learn about Catherine's tastes in art).

[/B]
Agreed! I was expecting she would take a path similar to Diana as well, but hoping she would not. I am thrilled she has not, because even though Diana supported some very worthy causes, the path Catherine has chosen shows that she is her own person, who does things her own way.
Even the similar causes to Diana, ( addiction, mental health, ill children, etc.) will be wonderfully different, because Cathrine will bring her own special touch.
Long story short: I do not want Catherine to be the new Diana, I want her to be Catherine, the wonderful lady that she is. I know I am not the only one.

I agree completely, but the last part of your post hit the nail on the head. People shouldn't expect Catherine to become another Diana. That's not healthy or fair, because no one can be someone else. People should try and accept Catherine for the wonderful, caring and compassionate person that she is, and the good that she will do for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth. Like you, I won't want Catherine to be anyone but her wonderful and giving self.

I'm sure Kate was well aware to steer clear of charities that might have emulated Diana's and therefore cause comparisons in any way. I would have been surprised if she hadn't chosen her own direction since she seems a person who wants to put her own stamp on whatever she's involved in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom