The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
She did a good job and I know that was her first official speech, but she needs to work on her public speaking skills.
Diana started out much the same way. After work with coaches Diana became an excellent speaker. Kate will only improve with time.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Aristocracy

I believe someone posted something similar earlier...I don't think her speech was meant to be the highlight of this visit. I was downright gloomy until I began to read some the criticisms of the duchess' speech. Oh, I'm not finding humor in what is actually written in posts. What I find hilarious is individuals will use a less than 4 min speech as a cloak for their disgust for the duchess. Oh, pray continue! Even more hilarious is that I suspect the participants at the event, the children and their families, could give a deuce about the duchess' presentation...I doubt the children were made uncomfortable by her pauses. I don't think not looking at them for less than 4 min while speaking ruined their day. But if it tickles your fancy to hark on about how someone talks for less than 5 min please continue, I could use a picker upper anytime.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's the bracelet of the charity EACH, East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | EACH Bracelet.

Thank you for the information. I sincerely appreciate your other posts.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
So EACH has put up an article with the first few pics and more are coming soon but I can't see any of the pics they're supposed to be on the side of the article but all I'm seeing are red x's. So I'm just wondering is it the website or just my computer?
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | HRH The Duchess of Cambridge opens The Treehouse
I can see the photos so they must have fixed the problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

A professional public speaking coach was on Sky News just after Kate finished her speech at EACH. She said that the pauses and looking down at her notes were most likely a trick that Kate had been taught to make sure that she kept a slow, steady pace. She said the biggest problem for nervous speakers, new to making big public speeches, is that they rush through it, going much too fast. She seemed to feel that Kate had been coached to ensure that she didn't do that, and the looking down was the means of ensuring that was the case.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When all is said and done, the main thing is that Kate did get up there and did present a speech that the audience seemed to have liked. The first time making a speech you know that will be broadcasted far and wide had to have her stomach full of angry birds (butterflies would be much more gentle). She took the time to prepare and practice the speech and like all her previous engagements, she threw herself wholeheartedly into the event.

Can you imagine though if there was such a huge audience such as Kate faced worldwide (international TV coverage and internet) how much courage it would have taken George VI to deliver his first speech? I think the public at the time knew and understood Bertie's speech impediment and it in no way detracted from his speeches.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
She did a good job and I know that was her first official speech, but she needs to work on her public speaking skills.

Yes, she really needs to do that because all these looooooong pauses to look at the text nearly killed me - I was struggling not to fall asleep! And she was so nervous, I wonder why... I mean, she's been a princess for a year now, how much more time is she going to need in order to get used to her new role?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm not sure if you're saying what I think you are, seeing as understanding the UK education system is not always the easiest thing to do. But Catherine received a 2:1 MA (Scotland) in History of Art at St Andrews and William received a 2:1 in Geography, the highest a British Royal has ever achieved. The pair would have both completely a dissertation in their third year on their chosen subject, it would have been around 10-20,000 words long.
Do not misunderstand me. Believe me I am working for the university with a high academic and I have university degree. I know how higher education means to earn. I did not mean William is not smart. I knew they both have high grade in university. My point is Kate is not afraid to do research, to write and take challenge, which is when she submitted her theses she was brave enough to open and accept critique.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
I believe someone posted something similar earlier...I don't think her speech was meant to be the highlight of this visit. I was downright gloomy until I began to read some the criticisms of the duchess' speech. Oh, I'm not finding humor in what is actually written in posts. What I find hilarious is individuals will use a less than 4 min speech as a cloak for their disgust for the duchess. Oh, pray continue! Even more hilarious is that I suspect the participants at the event, the children and their families, could give a deuce about the duchess' presentation...I doubt the children were made uncomfortable by her pauses. I don't think not looking at them for less than 4 min while speaking ruined their day. But if it tickles your fancy to hark on about how someone talks for less than 5 min please continue, I could use a picker upper anytime.
I'm in complete agreement. If one only looked at the faces of the children when she painted and played music with them, one would have seen that they cared about the fact that a 'princess' came to play with them and give them some love. That was the whole point of the visit anyway.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Just ordered my very own EACH bracelet! Very excited to receive it!
Ipswich: I will bring Wills - Duchess of Cambridge vows to bring Prince William on her next visit to EACH
Kate's Visit to Ipswich - Ipswich Star
Kate's Visit to Ipswich - East Anglian Daily Times
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
If that happens, I better stock up on tissues.....
Used quite a few with just Kate.... if William comes too.... oh my....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I can see the photos so they must have fixed the problem.
Same here! Love the one of Kate sitting next to the little one in the wheelchair....
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
If that happens, I better stock up on tissues.....
Used quite a few with just Kate.... if William comes too.... oh my....
You and me both .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Ghost nite
Would you kindly post the EACH bracelet link?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Ghost nite
Would you kindly post the EACH bracelet link?
Thanks in advance
Yep here ya go here's the link
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | EACH Bracelet
Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight

Yes, she really needs to do that because all these looooooong pauses to look at the text nearly killed me - I was struggling not to fall asleep! And she was so nervous, I wonder why... I mean, she's been a princess for a year now, how much more time is she going to need in order to get used to her new role?
That's what I'm saying. Everyone says she'll get better in time and I'm sure she will, but she has enough resources at her disposal to sharpen her skills now. Her speech was quite awkward. I almost couldn't watch it.

Diana's first speech, although it was not perfect, there was still a warmth present. Kate's speech was cold and lacking that special something that connects one to their audience. She has to learn how to connect with her audience. Sometimes all you need is a simple joke to lighten the mood. When you have that connection the words will flow. It's been a year now. It's time she puts her "big girl panties on " and get going!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5

That's what I'm saying. Everyone says she'll get better in time and I'm sure she will, but she has enough resources at her disposal to sharpen her skills now. Her speech was quite awkward. I almost couldn't watch it.

Diana's first speech, although it was not perfect, there was still a warmth present. Kate's speech was cold and lacking that special something that connects one to their audience. She has to learn how to connect with her audience. Sometimes all you need is a simple joke to lighten the mood. When you have that connection the words will flow. It's been a year now. It's time she puts her "big girl panties on " and get going!
I disagree that her speech was cold. She smiled, and she and everyone giggled when she mentioned William. There were nerves, to be sure, but IMO that shouldn't be mistaken for being cold. She may have all these resources at her disposal, but IMO the only way to really sharpen your skills and learn to connect with the audience is to actually go out in public and speak - which she has just begun doing. We know she connects with people, she'll be able to do it speaking from a microphone soon enough!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Laura Burns ‏ @LauraBurnsITV Bracelets raising money for @EACH_hospices have sold out-after Duchess of Cambridge wore one on visit to #Ipswich. http://pic.twitter.com/bkxFri7a
Way to go Kate! Though when I go onto the EACH website the bracelet page doesn't say sold out
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Yes. I went to the site and it does not say anything about it being sold out. Maybe they have not updated the site yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

Can't believe people actually thought that speech was good. There really isn't anything difficult with remembering the lines and then reading them outloud without sounding like a complete fool. She sounds like she didn't even bother, which she probably did. It's a shame, really. And those pauses? Is her team for real?! Talk about insulting your audience, because I would be.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Commoner

I just want to say thank you for all of you who have brought the EACH bracelet, it really does mean a awful lot to us here in Ipswich and the rest of East Anglia. They really do some fantastic work at this hospice. My younger brother lost a friend of his a few years back and he received absolutely fantastic care by EACH in the last few weeks of his life.

It just shows what having a royal patron can do for a small charity like the one we have here.

Hopefully the Duchess will return sometime in the near future and I will be able to get the day off work to go and see her.