The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Gentry

I just wish she would take a leaf out of Princess Mary's book and get a discent hairdresser. The hair is always in her face or just curled on the bottom..Very boring and I think it would look much nicer with 3 inches cut off. She hasnt impressed me at all with her dress sense. Perhaps she needs a stylist..

Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

I did watch the speech a couple of times, and yes, she looked down too often out of nervousness. I didn't think she was actually reading her speech or truly consulting her notes much, but she definitely wanted to get all her words right. Her voice is lovely and the speech was well-written. She'll get over the looking down thing if she does enough speeches.

It's great that Britain has royals who can bring attention and good words to charities like this. I suppose here in the U.S. there are some celebrities or politicians who do this kind of thing, but it is not the same. To recognize children's hospice workers in this way was marvelous and Kate can feel so good about herself for it. What really matters is that she was there, giving support and cheer to people who so deserve it.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiewong View Post
I just wish she would take a leaf out of Princess Mary's book and get a discent hairdresser. The hair is always in her face or just curled on the bottom..Very boring and I think it would look much nicer with 3 inches cut off. She hasnt impressed me at all with her dress sense. Perhaps she needs a stylist..
I hope she doesn't take a leaf out of Mary's book. I always find Mary's hair rather anaemic looking, lacking in body and form. Her hair has never left much of an impression on me.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

One down and many more to come. Good for you Kate! It seems like people tendency try to forget that she wrote her diploma theses and received an honor for it while William did not. Most students who wrote diploma theses are in their honor program and they must be good, smart nd hard work to be in the program. A good speech does not have to be long to be good as long as it covers all the meaning from her heart which she wants to say. You can tell from her color of dress that she did her research about for the Treehouse and her speech was well-written. She only on her job for 11 months not even a year yet. Give her some credit should we?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlan View Post
It seems like people tendency try to forget that she wrote her diploma theses and received an honor for it while William did not.]
I'm not sure if you're saying what I think you are, seeing as understanding the UK education system is not always the easiest thing to do. But Catherine received a 2:1 MA (Scotland) in History of Art at St Andrews and William received a 2:1 in Geography, the highest a British Royal has ever achieved. The pair would have both completely a dissertation in their third year on their chosen subject, it would have been around 10-20,000 words long.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Majesty

i thought the speech was a bit too forced and rehearsed. the intonation made it sound a bit fake. but it's only her first and i'm sure she will improve before next time with some coaching, that she will surely get.
she was otherwise her adorable self with the children and just in general with the people she meets. i just wish she would have worn something else. that dress was not really her best.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Majesty

I thought she did a nice job on her speech.There was a hint of nervousness but I don't blame her.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't want to sound fawning but I'm sure the long pauses had a lot to do with the fact that - surprise- she was nervous and had to control any possible quavering in her tone and breath control. If her hands were shaking as was reported, that's probably why she had to keep to a steady pace. As I mentioned in a prior post, she'll get better as she gets accustomed to public speaking and will hopefully become a more natural speaker. I think we're all realistic about her maiden speech, but at least she didn't flub her lines and interject annoying fillers. I think she did quite well.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton: Royal Solo Appearances : People.com
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Were there any children with hearing problems in the audience? I know that Catherine was very carefully and accurate on checking the background of anyone she met - she eg told a child who wanted to sing for her that she already saw the video of the performance in advance, so looked very much forward to hearing her for herself, which is really sweet!

I have yet to read something about the audience that Catherine actually had - apart from the TV cameras. But for me she spoke carefully, made a lot of pauses etc. by purpose, so anyone in the audience could get her meaning.
Just my impression, but was there any comment about this possibility?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Good point, Kataryn, she may be been carefully enunciating and had a measured pace for a reason. Would be nice if someone could confirm the audience members.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Good point, Kataryn, she may be been carefully enunciating and had a measured pace for a reason. Would be nice if someone could confirm the audience members.
Yea, that is a good point. She was shown interacting with children who had a pretty big range of physical ability- If the children were in the audience, it would make sense to go slow, speak clearly, and make sure the speech was easy for them to understand.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

So EACH has put up an article with the first few pics and more are coming soon but I can't see any of the pics they're supposed to be on the side of the article but all I'm seeing are red x's. So I'm just wondering is it the website or just my computer?
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | HRH The Duchess of Cambridge opens The Treehouse
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

She did a good job and I know that was her first official speech, but she needs to work on her public speaking skills.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
So EACH has put up an article with the first few pics and more are coming soon but I can't see any of the pics they're supposed to be on the side of the article but all I'm seeing are red x's. So I'm just wondering is it the website or just my computer?
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | HRH The Duchess of Cambridge opens The Treehouse
It is the website. Same here.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Same here regarding the pictures at EACH's website.

For those who are criticzing Kate's speech yesterday w/spite, and I don't mean those who noticed things she needs to work on either, here's an idea. How about we gather them all up, plunk em in front of the World's Media and then have them deliver a speech so the Media and perfect strangers w/out a clue than then give those idiots a taste of their own medicine?

Just a thought.

I thought Kate did exceedingly well yesterday considering it was her first speech. She *knew* it would be picked apart to a degree that's just plain stupid by people who have not a clue about Public Speaking and/or don't do it themselves and passed that first test IMO w/flying colours. As far as how slowly she was speaking and those long pauses, not only do we not know if there were hearing impaired children in that audience, but we also don't know if there were adults w/hearing impairments and/or mild mental impairments in the audience either.

As someone w/a disablity, I know first hand that the makeup of the Boards of organizations such as EACH do have "graduates" of the respective organization's programs who decide to give back to something that helped them so much when they were little. I've done it myself w/The Sunshine Foundation, as if it wasn't for them funding a day trip for disabled and terminally ill children from Northern Ontario down to Florida and Disney World for the day back in the late 80's, I'd still be saying I'd love to visit that place someday. So it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if as time goes on, we find out the reason Kate was *so* delibrate was both nerves *and* also being told by EACH there would be those who would not be able to follow what she was saying if she'd performed it at the usual speed Kate speaks at normally.

I think Kate has done incredably well during these last six weeks and has proved what most of us suspected. That she'd be able to handle these first solo duties w/aplomb and also professionally as well. As someone else has said, I can't wait to see just how Kate ends up sparkling once she gets a bit more experience under her. The best is yet to come, but the present was pretty darned great!!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said, Tiggers.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Courtier

I thought Kate did a decent job with her speech. I think an argument could be made that it sounded overly rehearsed - for example with the pauses - but this isn't an uncommon mistake for beginners to make, and it generally gets better with time. It's worthwhile keeping things in perspective, IMO; I doubt Kate and her team were aiming for a moment of "let them come to Berlin" oratorical brilliance. Her goal was probably to get through it without any major screw ups while sincerely expressing appreciation for the people who invited her. Which she did. Style and polish will come with time!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Tiggersk8, you said it beautifully, as always. Catherine did a fabulous job. She has earned a break, and William's return gives a good excuse for a little hiatus. Of course, I'm looking forward to whatever she does next.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Serene Highness

Pausing so that the audience gets one's meaning is one thing. Looking down at one's notes/paper is another. If you're pausing to see whether the audience gets the meaning, you look out at the audience to determine same, not down at your paper. Let's not mistake her looking down for connecting with the audience! If one want to make sure the audience is comprehending, one looks at the audience, not at one's paper - and any experienced speaker knows it's way more important (always) to look at the audience, not the paper.

I am not trying to criticize her - she did *very* well for a beginner, and we can expect her to be an outstanding and memorable public speaker in future.

But, if she's speaking to audiences where some people have trouble understanding, she would do well not to look down (it's distracting) and instead, trust herself and look out at the audience. For such a short speech, she should get used to going without notes altogether. And I'm sure she will!