The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
I thought I was listening to one of Diana's speeches!! Nicely done Catherine!
I've never listened to one of Diana's speeches, but I for one hope that Catherine never ever sounds anything like Diana. Catherine needs to do everything she can to carve out her own image, albeit in the same world Diana was in, and avoid all comparisons with Diana when possible. It must be horrible for this girl living in her dead mother-in-laws shadows all the time. I haven't seen one news report today that doesn't talk about the visit followed by a Diana clip and how they're "so alike".

Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think she sounds quite natural, not stiff at all but very careful- The hardest thing must have been to interact with the kids and try to bring them some joy. It is very sad, I would start crying in that situation.

What was weird was the accent. I din´t understand why every British sounds different to me. I don´t think it happens with other languages like Spanish for instance.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

"Pure People" Kate Middleton glamour dans la robe de sa mère Carole pour son premier discours

"Hola" La duquesa de Cambridge se acuerda de su esposo en su primer discurso público: 'Lamento que Guillermo no pueda estar aquí ** Google Traduttore

"Lehtikuva" Kate piti ensimmäisen puheensa kuninkaallisena | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

"Vanity Fair" Italia Il primo discorso di Kate Middleton
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

catherine is doing a great job along!!! she really is perfect
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.
That may be, however I have to wonder if they knew they might have a good deal of the world watching them and ready to critique everything about them.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I've never listened to one of Diana's speeches, but I for one hope that Catherine never ever sounds anything like Diana. Catherine needs to do everything she can to carve out her own image, albeit in the same world Diana was in, and avoid all comparisons with Diana when possible. It must be horrible for this girl living in her dead mother-in-laws shadows all the time. I haven't seen one news report today that doesn't talk about the visit followed by a Diana clip and how they're "so alike".
Although I agree wholeheartedly with you that there are far too many comparisons being made between Kate and the late Diana, Princess of Wales, I can't help but think that perhaps one of the reasons Kate stole William's heart in the first place is that she does have a lot of the same qualities that William so admired in his mother. To quote a very old song that was from my parent's era "I want a girl just like the girl that married dear old dad". I would imagine too that as Kate continues in her royal roles that the comparisons will taper off.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

ugh I just read this terrible post on tumblr about Kate's speech today and then he/she goes on to say they're 9 years younger and way way better. I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? I read one who said even a writer would know those long pauses shouldn't have been there and she shouldn't rehearse so much I was like are these people for real?!!! They also didn't believe she wrote the speech. I hate to bring negativity into this thread but I just needed to vent. Like some people need to give the girl a break I don't think half of the world watches most people give speeches so obvs they wouldn't be half as nervous as Kate was today. She herself even admitted she was terrified.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Nobility

She sounded better then any airline gate agent boarding a flight.
She spoke clearly,slowly understandable.
It was lovely watching and listening.
Good presentation Kate!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? .
Someone who isn't actually very good. I think it's safe to say those people who post on Tumblr are a tad jealous.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Someone who isn't actually very good. I think it's safe to say those people who post on Tumblr are a tad jealous.
I definitely agree with that
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

It was her first Speech ok but...it could have been better, she could have been more natural, it seams that the speech wasn't written by her, it wasn'her...it was another person, she wasn't natural,she was always reading, making too long pauses no...she must improve, she must work and work much more for her next speech
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Courtier

When I read all the criticism of Catherine I always wonder when people will mature mentally and emotionally. To me they sound very juvenile.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I wanted to comment that Max Foster reported that the Duchess' hands were trembling during the speech. I honestly want to know those who say she didn't write her speech what proof do you have she didn't? I do think she may have had a bit of help but I do believe the bulk of the words prob came from her.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

I have said this millions of times on these forums, but I will repeat myself yet again; I love, love, LOVE watching her interact with children. There's no awkwardness there at all. They flock to her, it would seem. She was so involved when paining with the little girl, and then participated in a music class. Her strength is definitely her ability to be at ease with the public, but espcially little ones. She's not afraid to get down, be hands-on and maybe even get a little dirty . Big 'kudos' to her for being her lovely self and showing us that she's not afraid to give love.
You said it.....

And these pics prove it! No words for these, talk about sunshine!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
She did great! My mum went to Town Centre today to find it empty. She said they must all be out to see Kate! Unfortunately I didn't see Kate!
Same for me, a shame the Hospice isn't closer to the Town Centre or we may have been allowed to leave the office to see her arrive.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorites!
Pic 1- Love the expression on Kate's face..... Oh to be a fly on the wall....
Pic 2- Wow, a real live Princess!!
Pic 3- The most happy kid ever. Does not know what hit him...
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
ugh I just read this terrible post on tumblr about Kate's speech today and then he/she goes on to say they're 9 years younger and way way better. I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? I read one who said even a writer would know those long pauses shouldn't have been there and she shouldn't rehearse so much I was like are these people for real?!!! They also didn't believe she wrote the speech. I hate to bring negativity into this thread but I just needed to vent. Like some people need to give the girl a break I don't think half of the world watches most people give speeches so obvs they wouldn't be half as nervous as Kate was today. She herself even admitted she was terrified.
Hmmm....so is this person on Tumblr who boasts about how way better he/she is a speaker a public figure who has the eyes of the world trained on him/her? And should Kate not have rehearsed her speech so much, according to that writer? She'd have been excoriated if she was ill-prepared and stumbled all over the place. Then she'd be accused that she didn't take this seriously at all. It's so easy to be an armchair critic, pointing out the weaknesses of others. Personally, if I were in that audience today, I'd have been honored to have heard Kate give her maiden speech and I'm sure the organization was proud to have it delivered to them. People are such terrible haters; I'd like to see how many of them can stand up to a room full of people and give a well-delivered speech on their first try.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

Very Very Beautiful Pictures , Duchess Of Cambridge Looks Gorgeous I Like Her Outfit She Looks Elegant & Chic , Thank You all For Posting
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.

So what? Every time you see those polls/rankings for what people's biggest fears or phobias are, public speaking is always at the top of the list, above death, fire, even poisonous snakes/insects. Some people would literally rather die, than have to stand up in front of a group of people, be it 5 or 500, and give a speech. I loathe public speaking myself, though in the course of my job, I have to give a lot of presentations. Right before I stand up and walk to the front of the room, or walk in the room, I'm shaking, my palms are sweating, and I'm nauseous. As soon as I start talking though, it goes away, because I know the material, and I know how to convey what I'm saying to the people I'm supposed to be conveying it to.

This is Kate's first public speaking engagement, and you're criticizing her because she's not as good as people who do this for a living, or far more than she has already? Really? That's like getting mad at a five-year-old because the cake they baked wasn't as good as a top-notch pastry chef's. She'll get better and more comfortable the more times she has to do it. That's the only way anyone learns how to do something; repetition. She's got what.....50, 60 more years as a member of the BRF....maybe more? Plenty of time to develop the kinds of public speaking skills more senior members of the family possess.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
When I read all the criticism of Catherine I always wonder when people will mature mentally and emotionally. To me they sound very juvenile.
Amen to that. She did very well ,that must have been a very daunting experience for her. Public speaking is not easy.