The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Majesty

Kate Middleton Speech Is Duchess' First Public Talk As Royal (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, English appears to be unnatural and trying hard to sound posh. It is all right, everything will improve with practice.

Spletnik -Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, visited The Treehouse hospice.

Her posture leaves much to be desired.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Nobility

She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Nobility

For those members who thought Kate looked down too much, there's two very obvious reasons for this. One, no teleprompter and two, the speech was not memorized. You can debate whether or not she should have memorized it; it was a very short speech. But saying you're bothered by how much she looked down is like saying you're bothered that she breathed, it's kind of a necessity!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
For those members who thought Kate looked down too much, there's two very obvious reasons for this. One, no teleprompter and two, the speech was not memorized. You can debate whether or not she should have memorized it; it was a very short speech. But saying you're bothered by how much she looked down is like saying you're bothered that she breathed, it's kind of a necessity!

JMO but I rather have her give a speech the way she did, with quite a bit of looking down, than needing a teleprompter. The looking down will lessen with time, and yes it was a bit distracting, but it's better than requiring a big piece of metal for a 2 1/2 minute speech at a children's hospice.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Well that was her first speech as an HRH the Duchess of Cambridge not as a regular person. She did fine. She'll get better over time.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.
How many of those kids had their speeches carried live on several news channels and websites to millions of people around the world? How many of them will have had their performance scrutinised and analysed by newspapers and blogs all over the planet? Not many I dare say.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Majesty

I thought Catherine did a fabulous job. Her speech was sincere in content and delivery. I love that she added a personal touch when mentioning her husband and saying that he would have loved it here and that they share the same views regarding team-work and such.

Here are some clips; the speech from BBC and an overview of the visit from 'The Telegraph.

BBC News - Duchess of Cambridge makes first public speech
Video: Duchess of Cambridge paints and plays music with hospice children - Telegraph

I have said this millions of times on these forums, but I will repeat myself yet again; I love, love, LOVE watching her interact with children. There's no awkwardness there at all. They flock to her, it would seem. She was so involved when paining with the little girl, and then participated in a music class. Her strength is definitely her ability to be at ease with the public, but espcially little ones. She's not afraid to get down, be hands-on and maybe even get a little dirty . Big 'kudos' to her for being her lovely self and showing us that she's not afraid to give love.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Serene Highness

I thought her speech was very awkward and unnatural to the point that I couldn't finish watching it, but since it was her first she gets a pass. I'm sure she'll get better with time.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she did a very nice job for her first speech. Her delivery will improve with time, but it's fairly obvious she's taken some speech lessons and she's paying attention.

I'm glad for her sake that it's over- she'll never have to give another first speech again.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think she did a very nice job for her first speech. Her delivery will improve with time, but it's fairly obvious she's taken some speech lessons and she's paying attention.

I'm glad for her sake that it's over- she'll never have to give another first speech again.
That's very true. She'll improve with time and more chances to speak publicly. I do think she did well though. I know that when I have to speak in front of an audience, I stutter and use fillers such as 'um' way more than necessary and appropriate for that matter.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

The first time for anything is always the biggest hurdle; she'll develop more ease and flow as she keeps doing this. At least her speech wasn't peppered with "uhs," "ums" and "ers."
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
The first time for anything is always the biggest hurdle; she'll develop more ease and flow as she keeps doing this. At least her speech wasn't peppered with "uhs," "ums" and "ers."
I did notice that William has a tendency to use 'um' a lot while talking. I don't remember Catherine doing it though.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

After the desaster in Denmark, where Kate struggled to put a sentence together when having to answer freely to a question, this speech - read from a script - has clearly been rehearsed to death. She's not a natural but I guess with time it will become less stiff.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Courtier

I didn't and still don't see what was wrong with that speech in Denmark. She used the correct fact to answer the question although she was nervous. I don't think she was stiff today either
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess what some people are calling awkward unnatural or stiff were prob her nerves. May I remind you of what William's first speech sounded like? For me that was cringeworthy. But as the years have gone by he's gotten much better. I especially loved his speeches on the Canadian tour this past summer. So Catherine too will get better, some of you guys need to cut her some slack.

Anyways more vids here: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...uploaded&uni=3
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16192010

A quote from the Duchess herself via Richard Palmer
Quote:
Kate to person in reception after her first public address: “I find doing speeches nerve-wracking,” touching her heart.
Also:
Quote:
Kate’s first speech at @each_hospices. According to aide she wrote it herself rather than scripted by official.
Personally for me the speech isn't a big deal we should focus on the real issue and these pics will help remind us of just that.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...thv5o1_500.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
oh and a personal fave of mine
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...e0igo1_500.jpg
Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I really liked the first speech of Duchess. Although I'm not a native english speaking person I hadn't any difficulty to understand because her pronunciation was distinctive. And her voice was pleasant- Your Highness- good job! The next speech will be surely easier.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

CNN's article and video
Catherine passes the first speech ordeal - CNN.com

Ladies get the tissues out and ready cause this next article will tug at your hearts
Kate Middleton in private meeting with terminally ill boy - Mirror Online

More pics:
cambridge - News, photos, topics, and quotes
Getty Images - Search: cambridge
Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers - type in cambridge
Also isopix also has pictures if you don't mind the big a** tag

If you prefer to not watch the speech but merely hear it go here:
Audioboo / Kate's first speech Radio 4 18.00

Tribute to a Princess: How did Kate's first speech stack up to Diana's?
Kate Middleton's first speech as Duchess - CBS News

This may have already been posted but a full transcript of the Duchess' speech is here:
The Duchess of Cambridge's first public address is a success - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
“Kate granted the wishes today of a mum and dad who asked her to pose for a pic with their dying 3-year-old boy so they had a memento.” — @RoyalReporter
Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

IMHO she did just fine. Yes it was slow, but more than likely she was reminded to be articulate and to slow her pace down in order to be understood by all.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Courtier

She did great! My mum went to Town Centre today to find it empty. She said they must all be out to see Kate! Unfortunately I didn't see Kate!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Wait a minute!

The long pausing and emphasis on certain words .... I thought I was listening to one of Diana's speeches!! Nicely done Catherine!