The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time for anything is always the biggest hurdle; she'll develop more ease and flow as she keeps doing this. At least her speech wasn't peppered with "uhs," "ums" and "ers."

The first time for anything is always the biggest hurdle; she'll develop more ease and flow as she keeps doing this. At least her speech wasn't peppered with "uhs," "ums" and "ers."

I did notice that William has a tendency to use 'um' a lot while talking. I don't remember Catherine doing it though.

After the desaster in Denmark, where Kate struggled to put a sentence together when having to answer freely to a question, this speech - read from a script - has clearly been rehearsed to death. She's not a natural but I guess with time it will become less stiff.

I didn't and still don't see what was wrong with that speech in Denmark. She used the correct fact to answer the question although she was nervous. I don't think she was stiff today either

I guess what some people are calling awkward unnatural or stiff were prob her nerves. May I remind you of what William's first speech sounded like? For me that was cringeworthy. But as the years have gone by he's gotten much better. I especially loved his speeches on the Canadian tour this past summer. So Catherine too will get better, some of you guys need to cut her some slack.

Anyways more vids here: http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mbridge&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&uni=3
http://news.sky.com/home/video/uk-news/video/16192038http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16192010

A quote from the Duchess herself via Richard Palmer
Kate to person in reception after her first public address: “I find doing speeches nerve-wracking,” touching her heart.
Also:
Kate’s first speech at @each_hospices. According to aide she wrote it herself rather than scripted by official.
Personally for me the speech isn't a big deal we should focus on the real issue and these pics will help remind us of just that.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14yh6hVst1r8thv5o1_500.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zfwnuPH1r0e0igo1_500.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zhn4pa11r0e0igo1_500.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zij0HZR1r0e0igo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zl0lENK1r0e0igo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14znmSpYD1r0e0igo1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zpwFy7k1r0e0igo1_500.jpg
oh and a personal fave of mine
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14zyyJn8Q1r0e0igo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked the first speech of Duchess. Although I'm not a native english speaking person I hadn't any difficulty to understand because her pronunciation was distinctive. And her voice was pleasant- Your Highness- good job! The next speech will be surely easier.

CNN's article and video
Catherine passes the first speech ordeal - CNN.com

Ladies get the tissues out and ready cause this next article will tug at your hearts
Kate Middleton in private meeting with terminally ill boy - Mirror Online

More pics:
cambridge - News, photos, topics, and quotes
Getty Images - Search: cambridge
Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers - type in cambridge
Also isopix also has pictures if you don't mind the big a** tag

If you prefer to not watch the speech but merely hear it go here:
Audioboo / Kate's first speech Radio 4 18.00

Tribute to a Princess: How did Kate's first speech stack up to Diana's?
Kate Middleton's first speech as Duchess - CBS News

This may have already been posted but a full transcript of the Duchess' speech is here:
The Duchess of Cambridge's first public address is a success - hellomagazine.com

“Kate granted the wishes today of a mum and dad who asked her to pose for a pic with their dying 3-year-old boy so they had a memento.” — @RoyalReporter

Last edited:
IMHO she did just fine. Yes it was slow, but more than likely she was reminded to be articulate and to slow her pace down in order to be understood by all.

She did great! My mum went to Town Centre today to find it empty. She said they must all be out to see Kate! :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately I didn't see Kate!

Last edited:
Wait a minute!

The long pausing and emphasis on certain words .... I thought I was listening to one of Diana's speeches!! Nicely done Catherine!

I thought I was listening to one of Diana's speeches!! Nicely done Catherine!

I've never listened to one of Diana's speeches, but I for one hope that Catherine never ever sounds anything like Diana. Catherine needs to do everything she can to carve out her own image, albeit in the same world Diana was in, and avoid all comparisons with Diana when possible. It must be horrible for this girl living in her dead mother-in-laws shadows all the time. I haven't seen one news report today that doesn't talk about the visit followed by a Diana clip and how they're "so alike".

I think she sounds quite natural, not stiff at all but very careful- The hardest thing must have been to interact with the kids and try to bring them some joy. It is very sad, I would start crying in that situation.

What was weird was the accent. I din´t understand why every British sounds different to me. I don´t think it happens with other languages like Spanish for instance.

catherine is doing a great job along!!! she really is perfect

She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.

That may be, however I have to wonder if they knew they might have a good deal of the world watching them and ready to critique everything about them. :whistling:

I've never listened to one of Diana's speeches, but I for one hope that Catherine never ever sounds anything like Diana. Catherine needs to do everything she can to carve out her own image, albeit in the same world Diana was in, and avoid all comparisons with Diana when possible. It must be horrible for this girl living in her dead mother-in-laws shadows all the time. I haven't seen one news report today that doesn't talk about the visit followed by a Diana clip and how they're "so alike".

Although I agree wholeheartedly with you that there are far too many comparisons being made between Kate and the late Diana, Princess of Wales, I can't help but think that perhaps one of the reasons Kate stole William's heart in the first place is that she does have a lot of the same qualities that William so admired in his mother. To quote a very old song that was from my parent's era "I want a girl just like the girl that married dear old dad". I would imagine too that as Kate continues in her royal roles that the comparisons will taper off.

ugh I just read this terrible post on tumblr about Kate's speech today and then he/she goes on to say they're 9 years younger and way way better. I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? I read one who said even a writer would know those long pauses shouldn't have been there and she shouldn't rehearse so much I was like are these people for real?!!! They also didn't believe she wrote the speech. I hate to bring negativity into this thread but I just needed to vent. Like some people need to give the girl a break I don't think half of the world watches most people give speeches so obvs they wouldn't be half as nervous as Kate was today. She herself even admitted she was terrified.

She sounded better then any airline gate agent boarding a flight.
She spoke clearly,slowly understandable.
It was lovely watching and listening.
Good presentation Kate!

I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? .

Someone who isn't actually very good. ;) I think it's safe to say those people who post on Tumblr are a tad jealous.

It was her first Speech ok but...it could have been better, she could have been more natural, it seams that the speech wasn't written by her, it wasn'her...it was another person, she wasn't natural,she was always reading, making too long pauses :ROFLMAO: no...she must improve, she must work and work much more for her next speech

When I read all the criticism of Catherine I always wonder when people will mature mentally and emotionally. To me they sound very juvenile.

I wanted to comment that Max Foster reported that the Duchess' hands were trembling during the speech. I honestly want to know those who say she didn't write her speech what proof do you have she didn't? I do think she may have had a bit of help but I do believe the bulk of the words prob came from her.
Duchess of Cambridge opens The Treehouse - 19th March 2012 - YouTube

Last edited:

I have said this millions of times on these forums, but I will repeat myself yet again; I love, love, LOVE watching her interact with children. There's no awkwardness there at all. They flock to her, it would seem. She was so involved when paining with the little girl, and then participated in a music class. Her strength is definitely her ability to be at ease with the public, but espcially little ones. She's not afraid to get down, be hands-on and maybe even get a little dirty :D. Big 'kudos' to her for being her lovely self and showing us that she's not afraid to give love.
You said it.....:cool:

And these pics prove it!:cool: No words for these, talk about sunshine!:D

She did great! My mum went to Town Centre today to find it empty. She said they must all be out to see Kate! :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately I didn't see Kate!

Same for me, a shame the Hospice isn't closer to the Town Centre or we may have been allowed to leave the office to see her arrive. :sad:

ugh I just read this terrible post on tumblr about Kate's speech today and then he/she goes on to say they're 9 years younger and way way better. I was so angry it's like who goes out there and boasts about how good their public speaking is? I read one who said even a writer would know those long pauses shouldn't have been there and she shouldn't rehearse so much I was like are these people for real?!!! They also didn't believe she wrote the speech. I hate to bring negativity into this thread but I just needed to vent. Like some people need to give the girl a break I don't think half of the world watches most people give speeches so obvs they wouldn't be half as nervous as Kate was today. She herself even admitted she was terrified.

Hmmm....so is this person on Tumblr who boasts about how way better he/she is a speaker a public figure who has the eyes of the world trained on him/her? And should Kate not have rehearsed her speech so much, according to that writer? She'd have been excoriated if she was ill-prepared and stumbled all over the place. Then she'd be accused that she didn't take this seriously at all. It's so easy to be an armchair critic, pointing out the weaknesses of others. Personally, if I were in that audience today, I'd have been honored to have heard Kate give her maiden speech and I'm sure the organization was proud to have it delivered to them. People are such terrible haters; I'd like to see how many of them can stand up to a room full of people and give a well-delivered speech on their first try.

Last edited:
Very Very Beautiful Pictures , Duchess Of Cambridge Looks Gorgeous I Like Her Outfit She Looks Elegant & Chic , Thank You all For Posting

She did... Meh. I can't say I was terribly impressed. The speech was short and her delivery made me uncomfortable. The nervousness was radiating off her. I love Kate but I have seen so many kids half Kate's age delivery better, more confident speeches, that they've also written themselves, and none of them is as well-educated as Kate nor have they had anywhere close to the the same opportunities as Kate. And I'm not even talking about kids who have participated in speech & debate clubs but just regular every day kids.

So what? Every time you see those polls/rankings for what people's biggest fears or phobias are, public speaking is always at the top of the list, above death, fire, even poisonous snakes/insects. Some people would literally rather die, than have to stand up in front of a group of people, be it 5 or 500, and give a speech. I loathe public speaking myself, though in the course of my job, I have to give a lot of presentations. Right before I stand up and walk to the front of the room, or walk in the room, I'm shaking, my palms are sweating, and I'm nauseous. As soon as I start talking though, it goes away, because I know the material, and I know how to convey what I'm saying to the people I'm supposed to be conveying it to.

This is Kate's first public speaking engagement, and you're criticizing her because she's not as good as people who do this for a living, or far more than she has already? Really? That's like getting mad at a five-year-old because the cake they baked wasn't as good as a top-notch pastry chef's. She'll get better and more comfortable the more times she has to do it. That's the only way anyone learns how to do something; repetition. She's got what.....50, 60 more years as a member of the BRF....maybe more? Plenty of time to develop the kinds of public speaking skills more senior members of the family possess.

When I read all the criticism of Catherine I always wonder when people will mature mentally and emotionally. To me they sound very juvenile.

Amen to that. She did very well ,that must have been a very daunting experience for her. Public speaking is not easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom