The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

She's obviously doing what everyone does when speaking formally - she's using her 'telephone' voice. The formal, proper way of speaking. I remember reading somewhere that her family had teased her after she spoke to the cameras in Copenhagen that she was using her telephone voice.

The thing to remember with the accent - William and Harry downplay their poshness when speaking. They try to sound like everyone else. David Cameron, who also went to Eton, does this too. They don't want to alienate people by sounding too upper class. With Kate, she's gone to the poshest girls school in the country and, having previously been a private citizen wouldn't have had any need to play down her poshness. So that's why she sounds more posh than William.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
I think too she did really really well. and she wrote her speech herself ! I like that she choose not the speeck to be written by somebody else and I really like what she said. very personal and warm. A little slow but it's her first so she just need a litlle practice. and unlike william when he began to talk a few speech, I absolutly understood everything she said.

Does it say that somewhere in an article, or did a commentator or Catherine herself say that? Congratulations to the Duchess of Cambridge on completing her first public speech

Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess looked very elegant and really does suit that colour - let's call it "Ipswich Blue" as previous posts have mentioned that its the Ipswich Team colour.

I thought the delivery and content of the speech was really good. No real hesitation and not an "um" to be heard. Excellent that she wrote it herself too. As for her accent - that sounded ok to me. I think women always sound "posher" because of the timbre of the voice - but she doesn't sound squeaky which is a really good thing.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

Does it say that somewhere in an article, or did a commentator or Catherine herself say that? Congratulations to the Duchess of Cambridge on completing her first public speech
Paul Harrison, Sky's royal correspondent, says he understands that Kate wrote the whole thing herself, amending and tweaking it over several weeks. It'll have been signed off by officials to ensure that it doesn't include any political overtones or anything like that. But the words are her own.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Commoner

Duchess of Cambridge's first speech. Lovely :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17433493

Kate's first speech: 'I only wish William was here' - ITV News
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Paul Harrison, Sky's royal correspondent, says he understands that Kate wrote the whole thing herself, amending and tweaking it over several weeks. It'll have been signed off by officials to ensure that it doesn't include any political overtones or anything like that. But the words are her own.
Got it, thanks for answering Hopefully this will be a trademark of hers, since most public persons have a speechwriter, and I'd prefer for her to continue writing herself
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Candi8305 - thank you for posting the speech. I just love the smile when she mentions William. It is interesting about the emphasis on family and home particularly this quote:

"Most importantly, it was a family home, a happy place of stability, support and care. It was a place of fun."

I think this is what the Middleton family achieve for themselves and William enjoys so much.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Serene Highness

I think she did really well !! loved what she said and how she looked !
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Courtier

I agree. Kate was absolutely lovely.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Commoner

Just watched it and I thought she was fantastic. The Town se.ems to be buzzing at the moment. I don't think any royal would have caused this effect in the town at the moment other than Her Majesty or Prince William.

Hopefully the first or many visits that Catherine will make here
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM

I thought she did very well. I thought she glanced down too much at first, but hey its her first speech. She did fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

She delivered a good speech and spoke eloquently and unhurried.I like the fact that she wrote the speech herself,it gives a personal touch and makes it more lively.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
On Sky News they've called that a 'flawless' delivery. Very careful, she's obviously spent a lot of time practicing. I think she did really well.

One thing though. Kate's accent is posher than William's.
I don't think she sounded especially "posh", whatever that is supposed to mean, but I do think she spoke very clearly and carefully which cannot always be said of her husband who speaks more "estuary" and is not always easily understood.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought Kate did very well, too; kudos to her on her first speech and for writing it herself. Yes, she spoke slowly and looked down at her notes quite a bit, but this is her first one and as she becomes accustomed to more public speaking, her delivery will be more natural and she'll rely less on notes. I like that she didn't rush through it and her voice didn't wobble, and hardly showed any nerves (although she probably had a bundle of them). As far as a posh accent, I didn't notice anything abnormally uppercrust in her delivery, but she was probably very aware of how she sounded and enunciated carefully, therefore emphasizing her accent and formality of tone. I understood every word she said, I thought the content was from her heart, and I liked her smile and upward glance when she mentioned William.

It was also a nice nod to the town by wearing the Ipswich blue dress.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Courtier

I thought she did very well for her first public speech. She a bit dry mouthed, which is perfectly natural with the nerves she must have been feeling, however she did a fabulous job for her very first public speech. I can't imagine how relieved she must feel to have that out of the way.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Courtier

the first speeches are always nerveswrecking - especially with microphone, as it sounds so wired to hear yourself speak - one could see, that she was nervous, and that she had trained a lot, but nevertheless the speech worked well and one could only wish everyone such a good delivery in his/hers first public address.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

The Duchess of Cambridge's first public address is a success - hellomagazine.com

Kate Middleton: Watch the Duchess of Cambridge's first public speech on HELLO! Online - hellomagazine.com
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She looked good, her speech was well written, she looked very nervous and the constant pauses and looking down at the lecturn was an annoyance for me personally. She's doing good though.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I liked the pace of her speech, and thought it was very well written.....so considering the pressure, I would vote her first speech a success too.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

She did very well. All the Royal Family give speeches that way...jerky and always having to look down, so no points off for style. I was surprised how short the speech was; 2:32 mins or something like that.

She has a great voice.