The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Kate must indeed be very nervous and exited now; first public speech is a daunting prospect even if there is a small audience. But to have to speak knowing that so many camera lenses are directed against you - that must be even harder.
Hopefully, she will be able to overcome her nervousness.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I somehow feel she'll do fine with her usual poise and confidence.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know if she took speech class in university?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Courtier

I am sure she will be fine!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd have to cancel. I hate public speaking and I only had to do it in front of a small class in college or on job interviews. I can only imagine how scared Kate is. But I recall when she stumbled a little when she was walking into the church on her wedding day and how she didn't let it put a crack in her poise and confidence.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Serene Highness

Most people learn good speaking skills at university, with or without speech classes, especially if they major in fine arts or humanities. She'll do fine.

Naturally, if one is phobic about public speaking, it's different - but Kate seems fine. It's just the same as any other talking, really.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Most people learn good speaking skills at university, with or without speech classes, especially if they major in fine arts or humanities. She'll do fine.

Naturally, if one is phobic about public speaking, it's different - but Kate seems fine. It's just the same as any other talking, really.
Learning public speaking in a classroom with a few dozen people isn't the same as being in front of the world media where every word and expression will be scrutinized and dissected.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

Public speaking is a really difficult task. I've done it in front of 100's of people as well as small groups and it never gets any easier. Its about content and deliver of a message in way that is meaningful. Its also about not making a fool of yourself. But once its finished, then that's it.

The thought of giving a speech and it being seen by millions worldwide again, and again and again with every little hesitation debated would fill me with horror. ITs not like any other talking. I think she'll be fine but don't underestimate the task.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Hi guys ok so I got times for tomorrow's event. Kate's speech goes down at 11:30am UK time so it would be 4:30am PST/7:30amEST it will be streamed live on hellomagazine.com and on ITN News' facebook page.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ooh, thanks ghost_night. It'll be a belated birthday present for me!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Ooh, thanks ghost_night. It'll be a belated birthday present for me!
Happy belated birthday, EIIR!

And thanks for the heads-up, ghost_night; good thing I'm on vacation this week so I'll be able to watch live stream.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Happy belated birthday, EIIR!

And thanks for the heads-up, ghost_night; good thing I'm on vacation this week so I'll be able to watch live stream.
It's actually my birthday today, Baroness, so your very kind sentiments are not belated at all. Thank you .
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a heads up from what I've seen most of the royal journalists will be there tomorrow as this is a big moment in Catherine's royal career. btw happy birthday EIIR.

I'll try my absolute hardest to stay up as long as possible and cover what I can of tomorrow's event.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM

I hope and sure she will do well. Once she does, she would solidify herself as a someone worthy of being royal.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Hi guys ok so I got times for tomorrow's event. Kate's speech goes down at 11:30am UK time so it would be 4:30am PST/7:30amEST it will be streamed live on hellomagazine.com and on ITN News' facebook page.
Looks like there has been a time change?

The Duchess will be arriving at The Treehouse at around 10:30am

-@EACH_hospices twitter

That would make it 3:30a.m.PST/6:30a.m.EST
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Learning public speaking in a classroom with a few dozen people isn't the same as being in front of the world media where every word and expression will be scrutinized and dissected.
No, it's not. I'm not sure that university can (ever) teach that. If she wasn't prepared for that, psychologically, then she wasn't prepared to get married to William. Is a person ever completely prepared for such scrutiny? Well, maybe not. But, fortunately, not every person dissects every word and expression - only some media (particularly in the U.K.) and one would probably do best to steer clear of poring over what is said about one.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think anyone is ever completely prepared, not even people who do public speaking as a business/political career. My concern is that the media (and yes in the UK particularly) will make decisions on her suitability for this role on this one/first occasion. And they probably won't be the only ones.

And she does have my sympathy because as I've done public speaking but have been able to "calm down" by talking to my husband both before and after the event. And she doesn't have that right now.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
Looks like there has been a time change?

The Duchess will be arriving at The Treehouse at around 10:30am

-@EACH_hospices twitter

That would make it 3:30a.m.PST/6:30a.m.EST
Not a time change just when the actual event begins the actual speech won't take place till 11:30am UK time.

I've been told The duchess has been practicing her speech in front of family, friends and a mirror.

So basically I'll most likely be killed by my parents if they catch me awake at 3:30am tomorrow morning but that's ok it's a risk I'm willing to take cause I really won't be able to live with missing this appearance. So I'll prob go to bed and set my cell's alarm for 3:30am and sleep with the phone under my pillow so no one but me hears it when it goes off.

Article: Kate Duchess of Cambridge: Ipswich Visit
Local News - Heart Suffolk

Alright East Anglia's Children's Hospices have opened a page whereby one can donate and leave a message in honour of tomorrow's event
http://www.each.org.uk/gift-of-care/...ficial-opening
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Not a time change just when the actual event begins the actual speech won't take place till 11:30am UK time.

I've been told The duchess has been practicing her speech in front of family, friends and a mirror.

So basically I'll most likely be killed by my parents if they catch me awake at 3:30am tomorrow morning but that's ok it's a risk I'm willing to take cause I really won't be able to live with missing this appearance. So I'll prob go to bed and set my cell's alarm for 3:30am and sleep with the phone under my pillow so no one but me hears it when it goes off.

Article: Kate Duchess of Cambridge: Ipswich Visit
Local News - Heart Suffolk

Alright East Anglia's Children's Hospices have opened a page whereby one can donate and leave a message in honour of tomorrow's event
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | The Treehouse Official Opening
Thank you for the clarification ghost_night. That's why I phrased it as a question, because you are always spot on. And I for one thank you for it.

May I ask what time it will be for you for this event? I live in California and I don't know if I can be up at 3:30 in the morning!! Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but this speech thing is giving me hives. I am sooo nervous and I don't even know this woman, nor will I actually be the one speaking in public.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Your welcome! For me the event will be at 3:30am so seeing as your in Cali you and I are in the same time zone so the event will be at the same time for you as well. I too am so nervous for her but I'm sure she'll do great as always.

Another article:Richard Kay: Why HM's so comfortable with Kate | Mail Online