The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure I'd grab a child who's only just met me a few minutes before. Catch her, and scare her? Or offend her mother? I've only watched the video once, but didn't the child say "no" and turn away?

Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I really don't think she was very effusive I had caught the child in my lap rigth away, maybe she could't....I don't kow...but to me she was not natural and she didn't gave that child the attention she wants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I'm not sure I'd grab a child who's only just met me a few minutes before. Catch her, and scare her? Or offend her mother? I've only watched the video once, but didn't the child say "no" and turn away?
Did we watch the same video? I saw Kate connecting with the children and parents, especially the little girl who kept hugging her at the end of the video.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree she wasn't effusive. But, I think it was a nice visit, despite that hair being everywhere. Nice to see a very ill child being so cheerful.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

You know, often times calm and warm stranger is much less scary for small kids, esp. frail ones, than a some one who blasts in and descends on them with effusiveness.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I really don't think she was very effusive I had caught the child in my lap rigth away, maybe she could't....I don't kow...but to me she was not natural and she didn't gave that child the attention she wants...
If Catherine had pursued the attention of the little girl, the visit would have become about Catherine proving that children love her. I think she acted very appropriately by focusing on bringing attention to the program. It also gave her the chance to meet the parents and other children.

Also, as others have said, attempting to force herself on the child may have backfired and made the girl afraid. It's usually best to let children come to you in their own time.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

She, like Diana, has a wonderful, easy way with children...so natural and down to earth. I think she has grown so confident in her role. Good for her!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought Catherine was trying to stop the very cute little one interrupting the girl in the wheelchair that she was talking to. Little cute one was showing off, lets be honest!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Did we watch the same video? I saw Kate connecting with the children and parents, especially the little girl who kept hugging her at the end of the video.
Of course they didn't. Consider the source and put on Ignore. I only wish one of the features of the upgrade to the App, had been that whenever someone on your Ignore list was quoted by someone else, that the quoted portion was also blacked out.

Catherine handled the situation perfectly. It was obvious that little one had really taken a shine to HRH, wasn't letting her go w/out one more hug and ended up stealing the show and many hearts around the World too. I also thought how she tried to get the lad in the wheelchair beside her to take part in the Music Therapy session was brilliant on Catherine's part. She's a stranger and w/all the Media around, was more just a bit scared of it all, but she tried to reach him and get him to take part in the Session by using something he does know, the Frog Puppet. As was shown later on, he had started to try and sing along.

For anyone watching that and then saying Catherine was distant and/or didn't handle things w/compassion and also humour...I may be Legally Blind, but I far prefer my blindness to the type where someone would "see" anything other than a young woman acting compassionately to lighten the day of those children, families and staff members. I do not understand that mindset, but I also find it beyond sad.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Of course they didn't. Consider the source and put on Ignore. I only wish one of the features of the upgrade to the App, had been that whenever someone on your Ignore list was quoted by someone else, that the quoted portion was also blacked out.

Catherine handled the situation perfectly. It was obvious that little one had really taken a shine to HRH, wasn't letting her go w/out one more hug and ended up stealing the show and many hearts around the World too. I also thought how she tried to get the lad in the wheelchair beside her to take part in the Music Therapy session was brilliant on Catherine's part. She's a stranger and w/all the Media around, was more just a bit scared of it all, but she tried to reach him and get him to take part in the Session by using something he does know, the Frog Puppet. As was shown later on, he had started to try and sing along.

For anyone watching that and then saying Catherine was distant and/or didn't handle things w/compassion and also humour...I may be Legally Blind, but I far prefer my blindness to the type where someone would "see" anything other than a young woman acting compassionately to lighten the day of those children, families and staff members. I do not understand that mindset, but I also find it beyond sad.
I just watched the video. I thought in the beginning she was nervous, however, buy the end of the video she was relaxed, happy and confident with her self. The little girl was so cute. Kate never once tried to push her away or make a face at the touching and hugging.

I think she did a great job and she is learning well. She did a good job.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

You took the words out if my mouth! I've yet to see this woman do any sort of engagement without any sincerity. That comes across very strongly when she's interacting with children. Her heart is in it, and she does what she can to make the children feel at ease. The children responded. What could be more natural? Some people who come on here like to criticize beyond the amount necessary, and in this case the amount was absolute zero.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who exactly was Kate supposed to catch? The cute girl in pigtails? Why would she need to catch her? A lot of people give Kate a pass and defend her, but I see nothing wrong with her in this video; she seems to interact well with children. If it was me I'd be in so much trouble because is be kissing all over the babies.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Who exactly was Kate supposed to catch? The cute girl in pigtails? Why would she need to catch her? A lot of people give Kate a pass and defend her, but I see nothing wrong with her in this video; she seems to interact well with children. If it was me I'd be in so much trouble because is be kissing all over the babies.
You and me both. I've been told several times by my co-workers that I'm getting 'too personal' with my preschoolers. I give them hugs, let them sit on my lap, and do a lot of hands-on interactions. I don't see anything wrong with that, but I know there are plenty of people that do, so I guess I ought to be a bit more discreet. Catherine appears to have no fear of being hands-on, and I'm sure that endears her to the children she's with. Little kids need physical affection, because they may feel insecure, and a hug might help them feel just a little bit safer.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Without getting too off topic, it is my opinion that people who are uncomfortable being hands on in a preschool need to find another career. Or get someone like Catherine or others to teach them how to turn their hearts on. I refuse to turn my heart off, so good I do not work there. Keep yours on Daria
Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party:
Help celebrate HRH Prince George of Cambridge's 1st birthday and support local families...
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | How to help | East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party:
Help celebrate HRH Prince George of Cambridge's 1st birthday and support local families...
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | How to help | East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party
What an awesome idea! I know there will be people out there wishing to send gifts and cards to George on his 1st but I think having a party and making a contribution to EACH would mean so much more to the Cambridges. I really hope this gets a huge response.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Awesome idea!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse · 1h
#CT to @EACH_hospices in #childrenshospiceweek. The Duchess of Cambridge is their Patron #wecare247

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Clarence House @ClarenceHouse · 1h
#CT to @EACH_hospices in #childrenshospiceweek. The Duchess of Cambridge is their Patron #wecare247
I have no idea what this message is supposed to say. Is Catherine visiting EACH?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's Children's Hospice Week. Clarence House was just highlighting it. Catherine is patron of EACH that will benefit from the fundraising that's going on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Heir Apparent

http://www.each.org.uk/News+and+Pres...s_hospice_week

Kate has made a statement in support of Children's hospice week. It appears she made a private visit to Each in May( from the bulletin board saying) proving that Kate too, does work behind the scenes like other members of BRF.