The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful cause. Kate in gorgeous glamour gown- and Wills in a tuxedo looking like Wills in a tuxedo. Disappointed there weren't more kids there- but understandable. I'd like to organize a similar event next year- get Robert Hardy for the kids entertainment and enjoyment..

The event was a gala dinner in honour of their appeal. The aim was to raise over £700,000 for The Nook Appeal. It was hardly a kids event.

:previous: I agree. This kind of gala dinner is not really a kid friendly event. While kid events are great, especially for child related charities, when trying to raise 700,000 to build a new hospice, these fancier type of events are needed to bring in the big donors.

Great information here about the Nook and what the money is for:
https://www.each.org.uk/the-nook/about-the-nook

This is super fancy black tie, evening gown, high money fundraising. A 10K a seat, there are no kids there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Kate was a guest at the gala right? I am asking because I read several reports saying she was the one who helped organizing the whole event, when, even according to EACH, she "agreed to join".

Kate was a guest at the gala right? I am asking because I read several reports saying she was the one who helped organizing the whole event, when, even according to EACH, she "agreed to join".

Yes, her and William were guest of honor at the event. Its her patronage and she's very active in its progress.

They looked great at this event, although I wish the media would've published better pictures of William.

Last edited:
Yes, her and William were guest of honor at the event. Its her patronage and she's very active in its progress.

They looked great at this event, although I wish the media would've published better pictures of William.

Thank you for your quick answer;).

I think it had already been said that pictures wouldn't be high quality or so much, don't ask me why though.

Kate was a guest, guest of honor, but simply a guest as royal patron. She wouldn't have been involved in the actual planning.

A Taste of Norfolk is a truly unprecedented event for EACH and has only been made possible following many months of hard work and dedication from our voluntary committee, led by our Patron Emma Deterding and Philippa Pease of Purple Chilli Events. We want to say a huge thank you to Emma and all the committee members who have worked so tirelessly, and to the many companies and individuals who have so generously shown their support.”

Emma Deterding belongs to a very wealthy and established family in Norfolk. Her father in law James is the grandson of Henri Deterding, the founder of Dutch Shell. The family owns numerous properties, having sold their Norfolk estate for over 25 million pounds in 2008. Emma started the first concierge service in London in the 1990's for real estate. Emma has been patron for 25 years.

:previous: Yes, certainly all major charities have more than one patron. It is a shame, because of who Kate is, that the work of the other patrons goes over looked. Kate gets glorified as the 'organizer' of the event by the press, when she simply attended, and patrons like Emma who actually spent the hours planning the event, or the Marquis and Marchioness who opened their doors, get little applause.

:previous: Yes, certainly all major charities have more than one patron. It is a shame, because of who Kate is, that the work of the other patrons goes over looked. Kate gets glorified as the 'organizer' of the event by the press, when she simply attended, and patrons like Emma who actually spent the hours planning the event, or the Marquis and Marchioness who opened their doors, get little applause.

Royal patrons always get top billing. It's no different if it's the Queen, The Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry.

Harry got 'glorified' for Invictus despite all the work being done by the volunteers in Orlando, I didn't recall you complaining about that.

EACH ambassador, the author Anthony Horowitz, said about Catherine,

"The Duchess is a wonderfully active, involved and enlightened royal patron to EACH."

Can't ask for better than that.

Last edited:
I didn't see any articles saying Kate planned it. Richard Palmer's Daily Express article clearly gives that credit to Emma.

Royal patrons always get top billing. It's no different if it's the Queen, The Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry.

Harry got 'glorified' for Invictus despite all the work being done by the volunteers in Orlando, I didn't recall you complaining about that.

EACH ambassador, the author Anthony Horowitz, said about Catherine,

"The Duchess is a wonderfully active, involved and enlightened royal patron to EACH."

Can't ask for better than that.

There was plenty of coverage of the volunteers, both in American and US papers. Harry himself made sure to direct focus where it should be.

I have never said royals should not get credit, certainly not here. Simply that the hard work of the charities other patrons should be recognized. I agree she has done fabulous work. Just that credit needs to be fairly given to all.

BTW even if she showed up to 1 meeting in 5 years and picked her nose the entire time, what do you think they would say about a royal patron? No I am not saying she did that, or is not dedicated. Simply anyone asked about a royal patron is going to glow.

I didn't see any articles saying Kate planned it. Richard Palmer's Daily Express article clearly gives that credit to Emma.

I was responding to a poster who had the impression Kate was the 'organizer of the event' based on what she had read. Plain and simple. Just pointed out she was just a guest.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Catherine is the royal patron of EACH, she launched the Nook Appeal in 2104. Many of the people there paying 10k a plate did so in order to mingle with royalty.

EACH has multiple patrons and ambassadors. Kate is the Royal patron

https://www.each.org.uk/about-us/each-patrons-and-ambassasors

Thank you for sharing the facts about the patrons for EACH Skippyboo.

^^^ Catherine is the royal patron of EACH, she launched the Nook Appeal in 2104. Many of the people there paying 10k a plate did so in order to mingle with royalty.

Hoping that we'll hear the amount that was raised for EACH very soon.:)

I think it was pretty much known that Catherine wasn't the one that put this event together. It was friends of the Cambridge's (the Marquess & Marchioness of Cholmondeley) that hosted the event their country home though. The media made sure to highlight those who put this event together. The Cambridge's was guest of honor. Of course of Catherine being EACH's royal patron.

Does any member of the BRF personally organise the charity galas they attend?

Why all of a sudden is it an issue with Catherine. She went to a fundraising gala on behalf of her patronage and it's becoming a federal case that others aren't getting their due.

It will be interesting to see if this happens at the next royal gala.

I don't know why some are trying to make who organized this charity event an issue. The charity and the media has made it pretty clear about those who put this event together. No one (that I know of) has tried to make it seem like Catherine is the one that put this event together.

I think now is the perfect time to move on from the analytical debate on who organised this event and in what capacity Catherine attended. As a reality check, in all the thousands of charity events attended by royal patrons throughout the world it has never been an issue before and really doesn't need to be an issue in connection with Catherine's patronages.

Last edited:
A very good quote from Emma Deterding on Catherine's involvement with EACH-
World of Windsor : Kate and William were “on very good form,” says...

I do think the media don't give Catherine lots of credit on her work with the children hospice movement. They talk a lot about her wardrobe, but very little about her work on behalf of EACH and her other patronages. I think this lack of focus on her work which leads to people think she's not doing much.

:previous:Excellent news. I realize that the final total has not been announced,but I'm pleased to see that EACH will likely be receiving such a large sum.

My guess is that anyone who has a gala to benefit a charity would call a planning service, and just be available to approve the plans. I don't think a marchioness would be involved in arranging all the help, tables, dishes, menu, etc. unless she calls to request a donation of services. The family isn't scrambling around setting the table before the guests arrive (like I would be).

EACH @EACH_hospices
Sir Martyn Lewis is reading a message to guests at the Gala Dinner from Our Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge #thenookappeal

EACH ‏@EACH_hospices
“Thank you all so much for supporting EACH, a wonderful organisation of which I am incredibly proud to be Patron” The Duchess of Cambridge

EACH ‏@EACH_hospices
"I am in no doubt the nook will make a huge difference to thousands of children and families for many years to come" #thenookappeal

EACH ‏@EACH_hospices
"I hope you all have an enjoyable evening and are able to continue helping EACH move ever closer to achieving their vision" Our Royal Patron

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 5m5 minutes ago
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) in Quidenham, Norfolk, on Jan 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom