The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge donates baby hamper to auction for East Anglia
Quote:
A baby hamper donated by the Duchess of Cambridge is among lots going under the hammer for East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices this month.
Each Charity Auction | The Annual Each Charity Auction Website (Video included)

KL.FM 96.7 - News - Duchess Of Cambridge In Children's Charity Boost (Video included)

Duchess Of Cambridge In Children's Charity Boost (Video included)

Duchess Of Cambridge In Children's Charity Boost - Yahoo! News UK (Video included)
Quote:
A children's hospice has seen a surge in its profile since the Duchess of Cambridge became its Royal patron a year ago.
The Treehouse in Ipswich is run by East Anglia's Children's Hospices, or EACH - one of four charities chosen by Kate to receive special support. "Kate's got that credibility. She's very newsworthy, so people recognise her. They trust her. They like her.
"She's got that real warmth about her in the way that Diana had and she is also able to champion of some of those unpopular causes like we saw with Diana, putting things like Aids and landmines on the map."
Kate Middleton Donates Baby Hamper to Charity After Pregnancy Announcement - UsMagazine.com
Quote:
"EACH is invaluable to hundreds of families. In the past year there has been an unprecedented amount of care and support delivered to children and young people with life-threatening illnesses, and their families," the mom-to-be says in a statement on the auction's page online.
"I have been fortunate enough to meet some of those who have been supported by EACH, and seen firsthand the positive impact this organization has on their lives," she continues. "For both families accessing care, and those who have been bereaved, EACH is a lifeline at an unimaginably difficult time."

Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Courtier

Really nice gesture form her

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Nobility

Kate Middleton pregnancy: Duchess' hospice donation while she was in hospital with morning sickness - Mirror Online
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Majesty

There she was in the hospital sick and she was thinking of her charity.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
She probably saw that there would be a LOT of interest in all things baby once her pregnancy was announced and like the smart cookie she is, figured out a good way to help others benefit from it also. I really admire her for that.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

She probably saw that there would be a LOT of interest in all things baby once her pregnancy was announced and like the smart cookie she is, figured out a good way to help others benefit from it also. I really admire her for that.
This woman's kindness and selflessness never fail to amaze me.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Serene Highness

I had to look up "hamper" because I was not sure, and I can´t believe it. Almost seems like a joke.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

I'm not a native speaker either, but I understand "hamper" to be a basket filled with gifts? What is the joke?
You are correct. I don't get the joke either, but it's some kind of dig.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You are correct. I don't get the joke either, but it's some kind of dig.
Well, it does have 2 meanings
A large basket, usually with a cover, OR

To prevent the free movement, action, or progress of.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Well, it does have 2 meanings
A large basket, usually with a cover, OR

To prevent the free movement, action, or progress of.
So I guess she gave in fact a basket full of baby related gifts to a charity to be auctioned off for the benefit of said charity. So again, what's the joke?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
So I guess she gave in fact a basket full of baby related gifts to a charity to be auctioned off for the benefit of said charity. So again, what's the joke?
Don't know - ask Rosana. MAybe she got confused between prevent and present (gift)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Gentry

Here in the US (at least in the southern part of the US), the usual connotation of the word "hamper" is as a receptacle for soiled laundry. In that regard, I don't know that a hamper of baby gifts would be well received.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Here in the US (at least in the southern part of the US), the usual connotation of the word "hamper" is as a receptacle for soiled laundry. In that regard, I don't know that a hamper of baby gifts would be well received.
We use the same term in California. So I get the joke.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Courtier

I'm sure you will need a laundry hamper with a new baby. If it is filled with useful, needed item, I think it would be a beautiful gift.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Royal Highness

Very true Grandma!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Duchess of Cambridge today held a Meeting concerning Palliative Care for Children & Young People at St James’s Palace.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate held the meeting in her capacity as Patron, The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

EDIT: theroyaleditor has just answered a tweet of mine saying pics will be published in all UK papers today
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Courtier

@QueenVicMirror: Kate did some behind the scenes charity work this morning holding a meeting about Palliative care at St James's Palace
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge works behind the scenes with hospice charity - Mirror Online
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

She chaired the meeting rather than just attending it. That takes skill. A chair has to encourage people to give their input and also diplomatically discourage those who speak too much.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Didn't realize she had taken on a children's palliative care charity. Though her appearance will be item #1 covered, these difficult subjects will be given some daylight because of her.