The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The website says it begins at 6:15 a.m. eastern time. What is the time difference from there to the west coast? Is it a 6 hour? I dont want to miss it.

11:15am London time.

Last edited:
I've read today that 300 people from 3 of their charities attended the gala dinner last night and stayed on board. Catherine was heard to ask if they had been comfortable. I'll see if I can find the source and edit later.

UPDATE: IT was the Daily Express

"Among the guests at the ceremony were 300 people from three royal charities supported by Kate, Prince William and Prince Harry - East Anglia's Children's Hospices, SkillForce, and WellChild who stayed overnight on the ship."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...e-ends-in-a-smash-as-she-launches-cruise-ship

Last edited:
I've read today that 300 people from 3 of their charities attended the gala dinner last night and stayed on board. Catherine was heard to ask if they had been comfortable. I'll see if I can find the source and edit later.
What a once in a lifetime experience for very deserving kids!

I agree, that was a very nice treat for the people of Catherine & William and Harry's charities.

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 7h
We have added a new focus feature on The Duchess of Cambridge's work supporting children's hospices. Read it here - http://bit.ly/17whKXH

Children's hospices

Love the pictures with this article- especially the one of Catherine and the kids in music class, as I had not seen that one before. Made my day. The combination of Catherine and children never gets old.

Last edited:
Love the pictures with this article- especially the one of Catherine and the kids in music class, as I had not seen that one before. Made my day. The combination of Catherine and children never gets old.

The more I see of this woman with children, the more I wish she could be the teacher for one of the self-contained classes in my school. I have no doubt that the children would receive the attention and care that they need. I'm so glad Catherine chose to give a piece of herself to these children, and their families. It more than likely means the world to them.

The more I see of this woman with children, the more I wish she could be the teacher for one of the self-contained classes in my school. I have no doubt that the children would receive the attention and care that they need. I'm so glad Catherine chose to give a piece of herself to these children, and their families. It more than likely means the world to them.

I can see why you feel that way. I agree with you. Could not have said it better myself.

I can see why you feel that way. I agree with you. Could not have said it better myself.

I do try. But on a more serious note, I think it's very sad, that a person who never got any formal training on how to work with children is able to do so with flying colors, while someone who has had training, AND experience in the field is still fretting about getting her hands dirty, and refuses to work with a little girl just because she happens to drool. Makes me wonder about the criteria for teaching certification; perhaps it should be based on ability rather than test scores, and degrees.

I do try. But on a more serious note, I think it's very sad, that a person who never got any formal training on how to work with children is able to do so with flying colors, while someone who has had training, AND experience in the field is still fretting about getting her hands dirty, and refuses to work with a little girl just because she happens to drool. Makes me wonder about the criteria for teaching certification; perhaps it should be based on ability rather than test scores, and degrees.

Just saw this and had to comment. I too find it sad that a woman who never had any formal training as an educator is able to do with flying colors, while some of the ones with fancy degrees should not be in the classroom. I have known of actors and veterinarians who are better able to cope with kids drooling. How sad is that? I would love to see the said actor and said veterinarian give that teacher a piece of their mind. And then play with the child. I know neither would bat an eyelash. Teaching certification should deal with heart, and ability, not fancy degrees and test scores.

Just saw this and had to comment. I too find it sad that a woman who never had any formal training as an educator is able to do with flying colors, while some of the ones with fancy degrees should not be in the classroom. I have known of actors and veterinarians who are better able to cope with kids drooling. How sad is that? I would love to see the said actor and said veterinarian give that teacher a piece of their mind. And then play with the child. I know neither would bat an eyelash. Teaching certification should deal with heart, and ability, not fancy degrees and test scores.

Oh, now there's a dream team for the room in question; actor, vet in question, and Duchess of Cambridge. Yep, that would work. No degrees in education, but so, so much love and care to give. Much better than having a piece of paper that says you're allowed to teach.

Oh, now there's a dream team for the room in question; actor, vet in question, and Duchess of Cambridge. Yep, that would work. No degrees in education, but so, so much love and care to give. Much better than having a piece of paper that says you're allowed to teach.

Sign me up.:D

Yes it is great to see they're keeping things current and up to date. Speaking of Kate and EACH, did all of you see that the Baby Cambridge Fundraiser not only met it's target amount, but smashed it!?! It's been awhile since I've seen an update, so don't know what the final amount is, but The last time I saw it, they were about 2000£ over the target. I could have that wrong as I'm going by memory, so don't quote me on that. :)

Of all the things done to celebrate Prince George's Birth, this one IMO was the best of the bunch. :)

while someone who has had training, AND experience in the field is still fretting about getting her hands dirty, and refuses to work with a little girl just because she happens to drool.

I seem to have missed something- who is being referenced here?

Also, just as a general comment on being an educator, I can tell you that liking children- even relating well to them- does not automatically mean you will be an effective teacher.

I seem to have missed something- who is being referenced here?

Also, just as a general comment on being an educator, I can tell you that liking children- even relating well to them- does not automatically mean you will be an effective teacher.

While true, Daria works w/children w/Special Needs and/or severe Disabilities. That's an area of teaching where the qualities she's been talking about are needed and in spades. She's referring to someone she either works w/now or in the past I believe.

BTW, we need to add Sophie Wessex and CP Victoria and Prince Daniel to that list of those who could have wonderful Special Needs Teachers. We can't forget HM Queen Mathilde either, as wasn't she working as a Children's Speech Therapist when her and the then Crown Prince Phillipe's engagement was announced?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Kate's upcoming (as I'm sure they're being planned) engagements dealing w/w The Children's Hospices she's Patron of in the next few months. Now that's Kate's a Mum, the work she's doing w/them will take on an entirely new importance in many ways to HRH.

https://www.justgiving.com/BabyCambridgeFundraiser

They have raised £5,598.64 from 222 donations, their original goal was
£5,000.00, so a 111% increase which is just brilliant

The amount is of July 22 2013.

My manners seem to be off tonight, as I would have done this a few minutes ago, but...

Thank you Renauld for finding and posting that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
While true, Daria works w/children w/Special Needs and/or severe Disabilities. That's an area of teaching where the qualities she's been talking about are needed and in spades. She's referring to someone she either works w/now or in the past I believe.

BTW, we need to add Sophie Wessex and CP Victoria and Prince Daniel to that list of those who could have wonderful Special Needs Teachers. We can't forget HM Queen Mathilde either, as wasn't she working as a Children's Speech Therapist when her and the then Crown Prince Phillipe's engagement was announced?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Kate's upcoming (as I'm sure they're being planned) engagements dealing w/w The Children's Hospices she's Patron of in the next few months. Now that's Kate's a Mum, the work she's doing w/them will take on an entirely new importance in many ways to HRH.

Thank you for the clarification. It is indeed a fellow co-worker, who is not happy with her assignment for the year. I'm saddened for the children, because they can't help what they do at times. You're right about Sophie Wessex, the Crown Princely couple from Sweden, and I didn't know aboutQueen Mathilde's work with children. It's absolutely paramount to be kind-hearted, and fond of children when working with the special needs population, because you're not just teaching; you're showing acceptance to someone that may have never known it. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, find another job. You're spot on about Catherine as well.

Beautiful letter. Catherine's compassion brings tears to the eyes!

There is a lot of passion in her letter and I'm sure her charities appreciate the work she do on their behalf.

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 4h
Dec. 6th the Duchess of Cambridge will visit Shooting Star House Children's Hospice in Hampton, Middlesex. #Kate #Royal

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 3h
The Duchess will tour the facilities, view a music therapy session and have tea with some of the children and their families. #Kate

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 4h
Dec. 6th the Duchess of Cambridge will visit Shooting Star House Children's Hospice in Hampton, Middlesex. #Kate #Royal

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 3h
The Duchess will tour the facilities, view a music therapy session and have tea with some of the children and their families. #Kate

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing Catherine out and about. I will say that she simply shines at these types of events because she's great with children, and because she has a heart of gold, and will make these children's and families' day.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using The Royals Community mobile app

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing Catherine out and about. I will say that she simply shines at these types of events because she's great with children, and because she has a heart of gold, and will make these children's and families' day.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using The Royals Community mobile app

Agreed. I will have the tissue ready. Think I will need it. :D
@ Daria- Is it too much to wish RH will show up:lol:

Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 4h
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Shooting Star Children's Hospice in Hampton today where she will take tea with children and parents.

Picture from the music session at the Shooting Star hospice

http://t.co/FSvQtUym1h

I think she has a green glove puppet!

Lovely quote from the Hospice

"She took the time to speak to families, volunteers & staff to learn more about the impact of our work & the wider palliative care network."

"The Duchess is a committed supporter of children's hospices & showed great knowledge about our vital work supporting children...

...with life-limiting conditions & their families."

Gallery from today's visit to Shooting Star Hospice

Search - Getty Images UK: GBR: The Duchess Of Cambridge Visits Shooting Star House Children's Hospice

Wonderful pictures of Catherine with children today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ge-goes-solo-tea-party-childrens-hospice.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 1h
Kate revealed George has been introduced to "messy play" during her visit @SSChospices today (with thanks to @theroyaleditor)

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 49m
A lovely and moving visit for Kate this afternoon. Look out for some very cute pictures of her with the children and a frog puppet.

Princess Charming! Kate brings early Christmas cheer to gravely sick children-
Kate Middleton Duchess of Cambridge uses frog puppet to bring Christmas cheer to sick kids | Royal | News | Daily Express

"The Duchess also met volunteers who help out at the hospice. She plans to launch a new initiative to encourage more people to volunteer in hospices.

A Kensington Palace spokesman said: "The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry is currently developing a pilot for a volunteering programme to support families of children with life-limiting conditions.

"A key component of today's visit is for The Duchess to meet a group of Shooting Stars volunteers, to better understand how they support the hospice and its families."

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 24m
The Duchess of Cambridge today comforted parents who lost their son, 5, on Oct 18 and their daughter,1, on Dec 3. Can't imagine their pain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom