The Dss of Cambridge as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate leads the way in the style stakes as she attends fundraiser at the Portrait Gallery alongside showbiz stars including Liz Hurley-
Portrait Gallery | Mail Online

Pictures:
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge arrives for The Portrait Gala 2014 at the National Portrait Gallery in central London on February 11, 2014-
Search - Getty Images : BRITAIN-ROYALS-ART-PORTRAIT-GALA

Here is a article with Kate wearing the Necklace. ?!! I find it a very special loan from the Queen when you find it was a wedding present from her parents

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The Royals Community mobile app

Got a little excited about the Necklace!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a article with Kate wearing the Necklace. ��!! I find it a very special loan from the Queen when you find it was a wedding present from her parents

The necklace was a present to the then Princess Elizabeth from the Nizam of Hyderabad, and not King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

In her patronage of the National Portrait Gallery, would Catherine be allowed to personally back a new artist by writing a letter of recommendation?
For example, she likes the style and use of color.
Can she write about her viewpoint or is this considered a negative?

I thought about this practically. She, has every right to write a letter of recommendation as a (as yet) private citizen. If she is technically, on the Board, she may be restrictected from actions that show favoritism, however.

But how I have always seen this done is very much word of mouth, buying of art, or behind the scenes maneuvering for sponsorship money for an artist for a show.

I think we are well into the days where money talks (even more than it ever did) in the modern art world. It's tangled, not much related to supply or demand and certainly not for the faint of heart. IMHO.

Last edited:
The NPG is about portraits so may not be as into trends as the rest of the art world. I would think the subject of the portrait may be more important than who painted.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I thought about this practically. She, has every right to write a letter of recommendation as a (as yet) private citizen. If she is technically, on the Board, she may be restrictected from actions that show favoritism, however.

But how I have always seen this done is very much word of mouth, buying of art, or behind the scenes maneuvering for sponsorship money for an artist for a show.

AdmirerUS, Thank you for your insight!
If Catherine writes a letter as a private citizen, would some people object to this very action?
Would they declare, "She is no ordinary citizen. She is Her Royal Highness. She is the Duchess."?
Would they believe that there was favoritism?

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit @TCMargate to view the 'Self: Image and Identity' exhibition on 11 March. HRH is Patron of @NPGLondon

.@TCMargate The Duchess will see the #VanDyck self-portrait, which she privately viewed @NPGLondon earlier this month

Last edited:
From CC 25th February:

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, National Portrait Gallery, this morning received Mr Sandy Nairne upon relinquishing his appointment as Director.

From CC 25th February:

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, National Portrait Gallery, this morning received Mr Sandy Nairne upon relinquishing his appointment as Director.
She is really going this year with the private engagements. Nice :)

Cepe Smith ‏@CepeSmith 2h2 hours ago
From CC 21/10 The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, NPG,this afternoon rec'd Dr Nicholas Cullinan upon assuming his appointment as Director.1/2

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cute picture, however I think the makeup person went a bit too heavy on her eyebrows. They are heavy enough, they don't need adding too. What's with the current fashion of Neanderthal brows on all the "young things"? They are over doing it, IMO.

Very cute picture, however I think the makeup person went a bit too heavy on her eyebrows. They are heavy enough, they don't need adding too. What's with the current fashion of Neanderthal brows on all the "young things"? They are over doing it, IMO.

It's not really my preference but I can say, as a 31-year old British female, all my friends have a similar obsession with this kind of dark eyebrow. They all seem to spend hours talking about, comparing and experimenting with their eyebrows.

If nothing else, the cover is totally in line with the current British trend.

HRH, Patron of @NPGLondon will visit the exhibition on 4 May to see the images on display in the gallery for the first time #Vogue100

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
Two portraits from the shoot were installed this evening @NPGLondon in Vogue 100: A Century of Style #Vogue100

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/726502287116480512

I actually quite like the photos. Kate looks natural in them (minus of course all the photoshop.)

That cover is horrific, Catherine has been made to look like a waxwork.

Sorry but I always feel uncomfortable when royals let themselves 'officially' appear on magazine covers. To me thats for celebrities not royalty.

Sorry but I always feel uncomfortable when royals let themselves 'officially' appear on magazine covers. To me thats for celebrities not royalty.

This is the 100th anniversary cover and it's a collaboration between Vogue and the National Portrait Gallery of which Catherine is royal patron

Yes much too heavy with the eyebrows but I do know it is in at moment. I like the one without the hat. The one with the hat isn't very flattering to her. I would have liked to see her in more formal wear

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Love that she did this. I too would've liked to see Catherine in formal wear. I guess that wasn't the theme for this shoot though. I hope she do more shoots like this in the future.

Glad Catherine did this - magazines need these exclusives if they're to survive in the digital age and Vogue has always been about more than just fashion.

Totally agree regarding the eyebrows - young women will look back in a few decades and be gobsmacked they ever thought that was a "look" to go for.

If you think the cover photo wasn't flattering, there is another from that set going about on some twitter accounts.

Somehow - whether it's the angle, whether it's because it's a close-up, whether it's the effect of the hat - it's a suprise to me it wasn't scrubbed. Don't know why that one was released.

Catherine's very thin face, and the angle, make her nose appear so big, and with the out of proportion eyebrows, the whole effect is very un-flattering and quite masculine.

I'm also puzzled why no-one moved the vehicle showing behind the building in the colour shot.

That very nice photo would have been much "cleaner" without the back of a car also there.

Last edited:
I love the photos. The usual people don't think they're flattering but that's nothing new. It's the same theme on Catherine's fashion threads.

I must say it's not too shabby to land the cover of British Vogue on one's first photo shoot

I am not happy with the commonization of the royal families. I was (am) ridiculized for that viewpoint. Now I can add I am not happy with the celebritization of the royal families. These so-called funny tweets, videos and the modelling. Call me oldfashioned: I prefer a more distant and serene sort of monarchy. This will not work anyway. As we have seen with the Cambridges, more than ever they live by the grace of the media. That gives possibly short-term popularity but erodes the distance, the mystery, the decorum without a monarchy can not survive. There is no difference anymore of an Elle McPherson or a "Kate" on the cover of Vogue. The line between royalty and celebrity has totally been blurred. Barbara or Kate Windsor? What the heck... Thess developments in Europe's monarchies are ill-fated. Mark my words.

I am not happy with the commonization of the royal families. I was (am) ridiculized for that viewpoint. Now I can add I am not happy with the celebritization of the royal families. These so-called funny tweets, videos and the modelling. Call me oldfashioned: I prefer a more distant and serene sort of monarchy. This will not work anyway. As we have seen with the Cambridges, more than ever they live by the grace of the media. That gives possibly short-term popularity but erodes the distance, the mystery, the decorum without a monarchy can not survive. There is no difference anymore of an Elle McPherson or a "Kate" on the cover of Vogue. The line between royalty and celebrity has totally been blurred. Barbara or Kate Windsor? What the heck... Thess developments in Europe's monarchies are ill-fated. Mark my words.

Now Duc... How many royal ladies before Kate have posed for fashion magazines? It's been going on for decades

It's exciting that she agreed to do a magazine shoot. I hope she'll do more of them when asked- we get such beautiful photos that way.

The magazine shoot is part of the National Portrait Gallery's Vogue 100 exhibit. The Duchess of Cambridge is royal patron. It's a very special cover for a British institution.

It's not like she agreed to pose for the Enquirer

Last edited:

Royals can no longer appear to be distant figures. They have to move with the times in order to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom