The Dss of Cambridge as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that we shouldnt nit pick everything but I just saw a picture of the event on wonderwall. I see what luvbertie was talking about when the bright light you can see thru the dress . I just think she needs a stylist not just for fashion but too watch for things like this. A black slip would have solved all of this.

it has a black slip

I agree with Polly, I have wondered for some time if Katherine's choice to keep her hair "as is" is due to the fact that her husband loves it that way. Many men prefer longer hair and I'm guessing that this may well be the reason she keeps it long. I do agree that with her gorgeous hair she could be wearing very beautiful and elegant up do's for more formal occasions. I suspect that this will happen in time.

Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention...
I understand what you are saying; I've been taken aback by some of the posts on this subject. But one of the reasons I enjoy reading about the royal family is because I like to see their clothes and their look. I'll bet Catherine watches stars on the red carpet for the same reason.

If it is okay for me to say she looks fantastic, than it should also be okay for me to say that I don't love how she looks. I agree that comments about her weight or the look on her face at the second the photographer took a picture are unfair. My daughter often criticizes my appearance. She doesn't use the negative tone of some of the posters, but I think disagreeing with some of her choices fine.

The lack of a private life is more damaging, in my opinion. I don't care what she looks like when she is out shopping and I refuse to click on candid shots of her in public or buy tabloids that publish them. Catherine has not publicized her private life and she deserves to be able to walk the streets without being harassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
No comments on the speech, or how she interacts with the other guests which are important elements to this engagement. She appears to do these aspects of her role very well. As this isn't the fashion thread, should we perhaps be a little more balanced in our comments about this current event?

I'll comment on her speech. It was very amateurish. Very basic and brief, and poorly delivered such that it appeared she was not familiar with it. She should have read it out so many times that she could recite it without referring to her notes more than a few times. Yet she paused in the wrong places and had to refer to her notes far too often. And the blunder at the end was sad, not cute. Whatever she has been doing for the last three years since the wedding, she hasn't been having public speaking lessons.

:previous: Public speaking isn't easy and doing it with media's spotlight on you adds pressure. I think with more public speeches on a regular bases, she will get better and better with time. Her late mother-in-law also needed a voice coach after several years of not so good speeches. It took years of practice for other members of the royal family to master the art of public speaking.

I thought her short speech went pretty well. Although she stumbled on her words in the end but handled it with grace and a smile. It was good to see her kicking off her official engagements for 2014.

I'd like to hear about some joint engagements coming up.

Last edited:
:previous: Public speaking isn't easy...
I agree with your comments regarding her speech. She has improved since her first ones. As you pointed out, not everyone finds this to be easy. I've noticed that Prince Edward is good at giving them, but likely his theater background in college and as a career has helped him.

No comments on the speech, or how she interacts with the other guests which are important elements to this engagement. She appears to do these aspects of her role very well. As this isn't the fashion thread, should we perhaps be a little more balanced in our comments about this current event?
Dman posted a link to a video from last night's engagement in post #97. :)

:previous: Public speaking isn't easy...
Agree. I thought her speech was fine. This is only her 5th or 6th one (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't blame her for still being a bit of nervous. I know when I have to speak in public, I'm always frazzled no matter how often I practice.

Being a Royal does not allow you staying in the Comfort Zone.

This only works if you are trying to please the majority of people, but that is nearly impossible.

Secondly, the hair "rules" you posted are pretty outdated. There are lots of people that wear hair up for day and down for night depending on the event and their mood.

All this talk about Kate's long hair brought back memories of myself and my husband at that age. I HATED long hair, he loved it. I wore it long. Golly gee.

Lady M:Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention......:flowers:

A very insightful comment and Thank You!

I personally could not do this job for all the money in the world....I love my freedom way to much. I do give her credit for being out there and knowing how everyone is looking, including me. Glad she has a hubby that is very protective of her.

It could simply be that she like her long hair and William doesn't care. She wore it long before she meet him too. Her hair was longer her first year of college than it is now

I'll comment on her speech. It was very amateurish. Very basic and brief, and poorly delivered such that it appeared she was not familiar with it. She should have read it out so many times that she could recite it without referring to her notes more than a few times. Yet she paused in the wrong places and had to refer to her notes far too often. And the blunder at the end was sad, not cute. Whatever she has been doing for the last three years since the wedding, she hasn't been having public speaking lessons.

Public speaking is difficult for some people, especially when the worlds media is watching you. Her referring to the speech does not necessarily mean she didn't read. I am a terrible public speaker even in small groups. When I do project presentations, I know the whole presentation but then I start mixing things up and refer to my notes a lot. It might be the same thing with her and she might take a while before she gets to Letizia's level (I love Letizia's speeches even though a can not understand a word of what she says. Her job as a newsreader makes her an amazing speech giving, the best of all the Princesses)

I agree with everything you said. The speech was very underwhelming. You would expect better from somebody whose job description includes speaking in public. It looked difficult for Kate to string a few bla bla sentences together without pausing or looking at notes what shouldnt be the case in her position, while she has all the time in the world to practise for such events / access to best trainers. One would think why.

I agree with everything you said. The speech was very underwhelming. You would expect better from somebody whose job description includes speaking in public. It looked difficult for Kate to string a few bla bla sentences together without pausing or looking at notes what shouldnt be the case in her position, while she has all the time in the world to practise for such events / access to best trainers. One would think why.

WOW!!! I just looked at the footage of this, what did you call it, a speech?! I would call it a shout-out.

This is really pathetic. Kate knew what she was getting into marrying William. She knew she would be expected to carry out public engagements, support her husband and provide support to George when he learns the ropes.

Well to be frank there is no excuse, don't tell me about having a baby, or being over critical of her and-she-is-new-to-this.

Do Your Job!

This is not the Wills & Kate show they are not the whole royal family, step up. She has people there to reach her the ropes there is no excuse. I am sure she is a nice person, not questioning that, but take your role seriously show your husband you support him and... Aargh! When you become a mother for the first time you are clueless, you ask advice of doctors, nurses, parents, friends, read books, educate yourself. No one expects you to have all the answers, but you try hard because this is what you have chosen to do. Babies and royalty - apples & oranges, but she had a choice.

yes, the speech wasn't the best. her intonation is monotone, she refers to her notes almost all the time, and looks at only one section of her audience by turning her head always to the same people. it wasn't even a particularly long speech. maybe she was complacent and thought since it wasn't long it didn't require much preparation?

otherwise, i think she interacts very well with the people, which is always an asset. and big brownie points for taking HM's diamond neckless out of the vaults!

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

...This is really pathetic. Kate knew what she was getting into marrying William...
It was a short shout out-they probably asked her to say a few words.

Secondly, this sounds really crude but she is supposed to have children. It's part of the continuing the royal line.

Who's saying she's not trying hard? Tripping up on a few words does not equal not trying hard

As the director of training for a Fortune 500 company, I'm what you might call a professional public speaker. I'm lucky that it's always come easily (though I've certainly worked to improve) and is my comfort zone. I have many tremendously smart, kind and caring coworkers who are practically geniuses in their field, but they are just not comfortable with public speaking. We all have different strengths.

I've worked with VPs who have practiced and been coached for years, yet they are still obviously uncomfortable in front of a group. And rather than cutting them down, I applaud them every time they make the effort.

I have no idea whether public speaking makes Kate uncomfortable. Nor do I know what kind of coaching she's had. I just thought I'd provide a different perspective from someone in the field.

I choose to focus on what's really important and that was the purpose of the event. Her Royal Highness's speech was just fine but for the little stumble at the end.

As I said before, giving public speeches isn't easy and it takes time to get the hang of it. Even the most practiced and experienced public speakers have troubles at times. Just yesterday, The President of the United States gave a speech on raising the minimal wage for federal workers and tripped up on some of his words. It happens but it's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean you're not trying your best at the job. Catherine handled the situation very gracefully and the people at the event loved it and applauded her speech. Also, most members of the royal family use notes. You can't get Her Majesty The Queen to say anything without her notes on official engagements.

I'm a terrible public speaker, and that's with classes and work on it. I can't even imagine it on a stage as big as the one she has.

As the director of training for a Fortune 500 company...
Good post. It made me remember a recent speech that director Michael Bay gave. He was at a conference and his teleprompter failed. He fumbled around for a bit before he just walked off the stage. He didn't even finish his speech. So here's a perfect example of someone that's been in the public eye for years and is still not comfortable giving speeches.

Some people take to public speaking immediately and for others it's work. Obviously it doesn't come easy for Kate, but I think she has improved since her very first speech.

I think it is worth remembering that Catherine is not married to THE heir to the throne and so does not presently require or indeed have the resources that the wife of the heir to the throne might need when carrying out public engagements. All the big-gun jewels, clothing allowance, advisors, stylists, PR folk etc are simply not required for her at the moment. They might be available from time to time, but it is not yet required.
Consequently, I cannot really fault her for how she has done so far and how she has conducted herself. Granted, she borrowed a giant necklace to wear the other evening, but she is not flashy with her jewels and so showing it off by having her hair up is not her thing. The few words she gave on the same evening didn't need to be profound or sophisticated - she wasn't addressing the United Nations!

Some people never really do well at public speaking no matter how much experience or coaching.
Some never are able to pose well, be familiar with the camera and make sure they are using their best angles.
Also, some people have a very difficult time meeting new people and making conversation.
Kate seems to be naturally gifted in some of the areas of her new job. She seems to be serious and a hard worker and has improved in the other areas where it doesn't come easily. What more can you ask?
If you are not born into the role like Ps Anne or Ps Victoria, or have acting/modeling experience like Ps Grace or acting/tv experience like Letitzia, there is a learning curve.

Last edited:
...I am sure as Catherine's confidence increases, so will the quality of the delivery.
Thank you. I also agree that Kate has improved since her first public speech and believe that she will continue to gain confidence. I wish that when the media covers Kate and her other young royal peers that the first paragraph would be devoted to the cause they are championing and not their wardrobe and accessories. Foundations seek the patronage of the royals because they do bring a high profile public awareness to their causes. If Kate's or any other royal's presence brings the desired results of raising awareness or increasing donations, then I would hope that this would be the focus of our attention.:)

Well, well - let's not fall out over the Duchess' appearance and performance. There's really no need: to those who matter most, she's a winner!

It's been said, frequently, that The Palace is absolutely delighted with her. Personally, she's popular with the entire Family who admires her efforts, her intelligence, her pleasing personality and her obvious attachment to her own family and family life in general. On the occasion of the marriage, Prince Charles said that they were 'lucky to have her' and I agree with him. I also think that Catherine is lucky to have such a protective and determined husband who will obviously stand for no nonsense where his wife is concerned.

She's actually doing much better than Diana did: I clearly remember what a duffer Diana was in speaking publicly for many years until she undertook professional training some time down the track, and then only when she felt herself under threat, and to better articulate her own cause.

As for 'doing her duty' - the Duchess has! She's met her no.1 obligation and produced a healthy heir!

I think it is worth remembering that Catherine is not married to THE heir to the throne and so does not presently require or indeed have the resources that the wife of the heir to the throne might need when carrying out public engagements. All the big-gun jewels, clothing allowance, advisors, stylists, PR folk etc are simply not required for her at the moment. They might be available from time to time, but it is not yet required.

But she's only a heartbeat away from being the wife of THE heir.

As for resources, her husband is an extremely wealthy man. If "the firm" is not prepared to foot the bill for a few public speaking lessons, surely her husband can afford it. It would probably be tax deductible, too. Far more productive to be spending six hours having useful lessons of this sort than sitting in the hairdresser's chair.

As for being comfortable making speeches, I am well aware that some people find it extremely difficult, but when you take on a job that requires making lots of speeches of this sort, if it doesn't come easily you take lessons if you need them. Further, the sort of speeches someone in her shoes is required to make are usually not very pithy.

This one was an extremely short and very basic speech, and she was making it about a subject about which, bearing in mind her degree (some say it's a Master's degree) in Art History, it is not unreasonable to expect that she might have some passion, but she still couldn't manage it and I didn't see a hint of passion. All she had to do was welcome them, say what the Gallery does is worthy stuff, say she's proud to be patron, and that she hoped they had an enjoyable evening. If she can't handle that three years into this job, she needs to engage a teacher. Perhaps William will see this video and engage one himself.

It simply takes time to get the hang of public speaking but Catherine has improved and her current speeches are way better than her first at EACH. I think she's had some sort of lesson already. There are more speeches to come and over time they will get better. I think everyone have to show some patients and understanding.

Her Royal Highness most likely will be making some speeches on her upcoming tour of Australia and New Zealand.

The fact is that The Duchess of Cambridge has done more for the organization with her "poor" speech and her "terrible" posture than any us would be capable of.

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

...If she can't handle that three years into this job, she needs to engage a teacher. Perhaps William will see this video and engage one himself.
I agree, it would have seemed to me that during this period of slowly introducing Kate into her role she would be learning in her down time. They were married almost 2 years before George she didn't 'work' wouldn't this have been a good use of her time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom