The Dss of Cambridge as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When your JOB is to draw attention to a cause by your mere presence then unfortunately your dress and appearance will be scrutinised. Stop the bleeding heart routine, this is what is expected of her it's her role so do it properly! She has the people at her disposal to ensure she makes an impression so she should utilise them.

BTW when I read the other royals thread regarding their clothes/style there is just as much criticism as for Catherine. She needs guidance in posture, style and hair. NOT because they are awful, but because they need to step up to the position that she now holds.

My opinion.

Her JOB is to draw attention to a cause but it seems that the main concern here is how to showcase her jewellery to the best effect (best with her hair up). In this case, maybe she should stop wearing jewelry to events so people could concentrate on the cause instead.

Btw, this is not a new piece of jewelry even though it's her first time wearing it Why is is so important that her hair must be up so that the necklace could be seen clearly? The only time i think this necklace must be seen clearly is unless this necklace is to be auctioned off in aid of the cause and she is modeling it.

Althogh she is not a CP, there are quite a few other CP's with whom she could be compared, in her age group who exhibit proper posture and the dignity for the role she represents. She has been given a wide pass, now she needs to grow up.
And, for the record,imo her hair is not beautiful, it is just hair. And she has a job and needs the right hair for it.

Last edited:
I think Her Royal Highness is beautiful young woman and carries herself with a great deal of grace and dignity. While everyone is picking her apart, she's doing what she suppose to do, her job.

Last edited:
:previous: well said.

Life, like me, is too short - I think she is doing well and improves all the time. And the people who meet her say that she contributes a lot to her patronages - not just a the events we see. And that is the real job.

Bad hair does not disqualify her for the job - it's just hair. It isn't life threatening nor will impact on the monarchy.

Just think, if every time one of us had bad hair we lost our job......... and what about people like my husband who has no hair - he'd never have a job.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

A voice of reason, cepe!

The level of significance attached to every detail of Catherine's appearance and demeanour by some here is strange. There's nothing inappropriate about the way she looks at this event. The dress is fine, the necklace is fine, the hair is fine. Some people may not like her hair down and curled, (I certainly wish she'd try something new), but that doesn't mean Catherine is doing anything objectively wrong.

Where is the commandment that says Kate needs to show up at these things looking like a photo shopped model robot in order to be a success at her job? None of the other members of the British royal family, (including QEII), do that, and despite the protestations of some, all of the other European princesses I've paid attention to over the last five or six years have had PLENTY of moments where they've looked inelegant and less than perfect, (and I can think of a couple of instances where their looks and sometimes even behaviour was completely inappropriate for their surroundings).

:ermm:This looks like a little girl playing at dress up in her mother's clothes and jewels.............this is not a good look on her at all.

The color of the gown looks washed out with her tan, Her HAIR, please do something with all those curls, those curls are not for formal events, makes her look sloppy and uncared for.

It would have been a better fit if she had some meat on the bones, a chignon in the back on the lower part of her neck, those diamond earrings and less dark eye make-up. The bling on the neck........toooo much, to heavy and to old looking for a young lady. Guts tells me after reading all the recent press reports of the Queen taking control of wanting Catherine to look more royal that this was her idea of looking royal.............wrong way to go...........less is always more!

How can a deep blue gown look washed out? ?

There is no rule that curled hair is outlawed for gala events.

I think Catherine looks beautiful and I love that The Queen is encouraging her to wear more substantial jewels by lending her pieces from her own collection instead of the very understated jewelry we typically see her wear.

:ermm:This looks like a little girl playing at dress up in her mother's clothes and jewels.............this is not a good look on her at all.

The color of the gown looks washed out with her tan, Her HAIR, please do something with all those curls, those curls are not for formal events, makes her look sloppy and uncared for.

It would have been a better fit if she had some meat on the bones, a chignon in the back on the lower part of her neck, those diamond earrings and less dark eye make-up. The bling on the neck........toooo much, to heavy and to old looking for a young lady. Guts tells me after reading all the recent press reports of the Queen taking control of wanting Catherine to look more royal that this was her idea of looking royal.............wrong way to go...........less is always more!

Wow! Really rather harsh comments. I couldn't disagree more. How do you wash out a deep blue color with a tan? Doesn't even make sense. She is blessed with gorgeous thick hair that women of all ages wish they had and curled or not, she looks beautiful. Diana wore far more elaborate jewelry and was younger than Catherine when she did. I say the more bling, the better. She is a Royal Duchess and some day she will be Queen Consort. This is only the beginning of seeing her in major jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this dress and the necklace is gorgeous and significant loan. I wish she would have won her hair up for maximum effect of the necklace.

However, I do understand why she has kept the hair. It took me years to change my hairstyle. I would experiment in front of the mirror but would go back to the usual before I went out. The more you feel people are judging how you look, the more likely you will remain in your comfort zone. Her hair is her safety blanket and she is likely to keep it like this. Frustrating because we want to see her experiment, yes. But it's no reason to insult her

What is she doing in that job?

Err.. She married a senior member of the British Royal family... that is 'what she is doing in that job' !

She is very popular, and is perceived as doing her job well. Minor disagreements over hairstyles scarcely make her unfit for the post !

I like that dress but not the colour and she could have repeat at least one of the some gorgeous dresses from the 2012. I remember the beautiful one from the opening of the olympics or the lilac worn in L.A. Anyway HER HAIR! It hides the necklace!
Did you see the video of the short speech? She stumbled on her words again!:-( I think she feels very insecure although I can't understand why! Maybe she feels uncofortable with her body ( she shouldn't, she looks great). She kept her hands on her stomach all along! Please Kate! I personally find her prettier with an healthy weight on.

I think Catherine looked wonderful last night. The dress was great, and I am pleased to see her reuse it from last autumn. It is also good to see her get the confidence to wear serious jewels well. I was also pleased to see HM share some of her personal favourites with Catherine.

The hair, I am afraid, was not a success. I am not on the hair-up brigade, but I thought, in this instance, there was too much untamed hair towards the front that was framing her face. So in summary, good to see she is experimenting with her hair, but this was not quite the unqualified success she may have hoped for.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: A petticoat?!?! SERIOUSLY?! Have we all time-travelled and I missed it?

The light is unfortunate in some pictures eg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kate+Middleton+Arrivals+Portrait+Gala+London+PnCG7LgJQIEl.jpg

Kate should know better about flashlight by now.

and I wonder, how many more times will Kate be going to the gallery to look at her own portrait :p
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/11/article-2557090-1B66DDC100000578-939_964x714.jpg

horrible posture
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kate+Middleton+Arrivals+Portrait+Gala+London+ksklTCM5eB1l.jpg

Ruh-roh. Thank heavens she remembered her undies!

:previous: Yes, they seem to be full briefs, too. :) Very sensible.

I've just noticed something else I think is strange about her appearance that night. She wasn't carrying an evening bag, and it makes her look like one of the organisers, not a guest. If she had a nice shiny bag to clutch in her paws she would have something to do with her hands, making her look less awkward in that regard.

Surely it's cold in London in February. Wouldn't want the proverbial freezing one's butt off. One would not be amused. ;)

Of course, it's winter over there, isn't it! So why was she wearing a summer evening dress without a shawl? She must have been freezing.

Last night the weather was 6'C in London, I imagine she had a jacket and chose not to wear it.

Plus she is getting out of the car right at the door and leaving the same way so she is probably outside for a minute or 2 in total.

Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention.

Now imagine you are from your backgrounds, you accept the proposal to marry into this family. Thanks to modern day technology, the internet, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, camera phones, etc... no matter what you do, say, dress, everything is critiqued and criticised upon, from your waist, to your eyes, your eyebrows, your waistline, your hair and color of it, your clothes, shoes, jewels, etc...everything... the lines on your face, to the bags under your eyes.... can you imagine living your life like that? Sprung onto the international scene, comparisons to your dead mother-in-law no matter what you do, comments about Camilla, your baby, your husband's receding hairline, your personality...... how any sane person can handle all that.

I give her a TON of credit. In 3 short years she seems not to have cracked. She seems warm and open and has taken to the role. William is certainly VERY protective of her...but then he saw what happened to his parents' marriage, to his poor mother.

I do NOT blame her for being a little guarded. Members of the press and aristocracy rip on her parents, her sister, her brother. They rip on her. Good for her for taking the reigns and for helping to shape the future of this dynasty along with her husband and brother-in-law. I do not know any of them, but you can tell the Queen is relaxed and happy because she knows the future is VERY secure with William and Catherine.

Last edited:
I love this dress and the necklace is gorgeous and significant loan. I wish she would have won her hair up for maximum effect of the necklace.

However, I do understand why she has kept the hair. It took me years to change my hairstyle. I would experiment in front of the mirror but would go back to the usual before I went out. The more you feel people are judging how you look, the more likely you will remain in your comfort zone. Her hair is her safety blanket and she is likely to keep it like this. Frustrating because we want to see her experiment, yes. But it's no reason to insult her

Day: Hair down
(Black Tie) Evening: Hair up
What is the problem?

She already had her hair up several times, and - as much as I remember - everybody (incl. the press) was super-happy about her hairstyle.
Being a Royal does not allow you staying in the Comfort Zone. For this she even does not yet have her own mirror, but even the most popular stylists in the whole UK.

And yes, for me this was a shame, getting the approval to wear such an important piece and hiding it behind a curtain of hair :eek:.

Bye Bine

Video-
DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE ATTENDS THE PORTRAIT GALA 2014-
Home - ITNSource News

To all those who complained about Catherine's awkward posture or facial expression on the red carpet (or gold, as it was in this case) should have a look at this video. The time from leaving the car to entering the building was a few seconds. Just shows how pictures can often be misleading.

HRH Princess Beatrice of York also attended the gala last night but I didn't hear of her attendance or see any pictures of her arrival-
Princess Beatrice wears a black wrap dress to the National Portrait Gallery charity event attended by the Duchess of Cambridge | Mail Online

Duchess of Cambridge visits National Portrait Gallery, home of little-known Middleton family paintings-

"As patron of the National Portrait Gallery, it is to be expected that the Duchess of Cambridge’s own image is hung on its walls.

But few will know the gallery also holds nearly 20 portraits of two of her distant relatives, Dr James and Harriet Martineau.

The notable figures, going back six generations of her father’s side of the family, have portraits stored in the vast collection of the NPG."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-little-known-Middleton-family-paintings.html

Last edited:
To all those who complained about Catherine's awkward posture or facial expression on the red carpet (or gold, as it was in this case) should have a look at this video. The time from leaving the car to entering the building was a few seconds. Just shows how pictures can often be misleading.
Very true. How many times have the videos shown what actually happens at an event when pictures only lead to speculation?

Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention...
Excellent post that sums up the last three years of their marriage. Even her husband is guarded in his own way after dealing with the media coverage his entire life.

Let us all stop, pause, and think for a moment... While we have many royal families all over the world, no matter what happens, the British one gets the most press attention.
Excellent post!!! Very few could withstand all the negative things said about her.

I agree that we shouldnt nit pick everything but I just saw a picture of the event on wonderwall. I see what luvbertie was talking about when the bright light you can see thru the dress . I just think she needs a stylist not just for fashion but too watch for things like this. A black slip would have solved all of this.

About the Duchess' hair which seems to be the most important of topics, my view is that it may well be her husband's choice! This doesn't mean that she's merely 'the wife', with no opinion of herself or her appearance. I well recall my own experience when first married and my husband's plea for me to retain my long hair, which became a nuisance to me which I longed to cut and have shaped. Eventually, I just did it, when I became pregnant for the first time and it became too much of an effort to care for properly. The Duchess doesn't have this problem, of course, but she does have a husband who has, years ago, commented off hand on Catherine's 'beautiful hair'.

Generally speaking, I think it unhelpful to carp and criticise any person's appearance from candid photographs which can capture an unflattering look or a partial, half-formed reaction of a split second. All of those in the public's gaze are victims of this, from time to time, and the Duchess, with her high public profile, is far from being immune.

To date, there has been precious little to complain about in her behaviour and attitudes to her duties and obligations, hence, any perceived flaw in her appearance becomes a focus for her critics. It's all so much puerile nonsense! She has good taste in clothes, she has access to stylists and dressers, she is a wonderful advertisement for both British couture and the more accessible and affordable High Street fashions which the majority wear and she carries her clothes very well. As for 'slouching' - we all do it, unconsciously, depending on the situation we find ourselves in, not to mention that very high heels project one's body forward! The Duchess is actually tall and elegant in appearance and as straight as a ramrod, as any healthy and fit young woman should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom