Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture:
Beautiful Picture of Her Royal Highness at The Portrait Gala 2014-
"Yes, and she's like that all over!"
What a lovely picture ... her happiness is very apparent, and her smile is contagious. Magic!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by awcblue View Post
What a lovely picture ... her happiness is very apparent, and her smile is contagious. Magic!
I think so too. The kind of happiness and exuberance that she exudes in that picture isn't something that can be taught or pasted on for the sake of looking pleasant. She is a very genuine person and I do think she honestly is enjoying being the Patron of the National Portrait Gallery.

You just have to believe that she's doing this because she wants to and not because she has to.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Considering the first speech was apparently cringeworthy, the fact she has improved is not much of an achievement.
She's given other speeches before this one that were fine. This is what I consider To be unreasonable about some of the criticism in this thread--a misstep is treated as complete failure on Kate's part for the past 3 years. Let's face it--one misstep, a quote out of context, an ugly dress--any and maybe all of these things are going to happen throughout her career. The Queen understands this, William and the other royals probably get it, too, which is why the Firm has apparently decided to ease Catherine into duties.

Why create drama where there is none? And, in my opinion, a less-than-perfect speech (out of a handful that she's given so far) is not a catastrophe worthy of treating her like she hasn't been doing anything.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
She's given other speeches before this one that were fine. This is what I consider To be unreasonable about some of the criticism in this thread--a misstep is treated as complete failure on Kate's part for the past 3 years. Let's face it--one misstep, a quote out of context, an ugly dress--any and maybe all of these things are going to happen throughout her career. The Queen understands this, William and the other royals probably get it, too, which is why the Firm has apparently decided to ease Catherine into duties.

Why create drama where there is none? And, in my opinion, a less-than-perfect speech (out of a handful that she's given so far) is not a catastrophe worthy of treating her like she hasn't been doing anything.
IMO the Queen and DoE realized after the Diana and Sarah years the the newcomers needed time to adjust to their new roles. Allowing Sophie, Camilla, and Kate the opportunity to transition from one life to another that would be filled with constant scrutiny is a wise decsion on the part of the senior royals.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Courtier

A few points -

First, as someone with more than one university degree, I can say, quite categorically, that expertise in public speaking has no part in any strictly academic syllabus, the only aim of which is to encourage learning and promote research, not turn students into a Demosthenes or a Cicero.

Second, I, for one, certainly do not 'take umbrage' at any criticisms of Catherine and have indeed criticised others. However, the difference here is that it's always been someone I've known or when there was conclusive proof that illegal or incompetent behaviour was involved. Lack of fluency in a public forum or a 'faulty' hair style does not meet any criterion, in my view.

Third, The Palace has made considerable effort to train and educate the Duchess and it's pleased with her progress. She was placed in a 'safe pair of hands', Sir David Manning, to advise and inform her on matters of state and foreign affairs. Sir David is seen to be playing a similar role to that of Gen.Sir Frederick Browning, a decorated soldier who fought in both World Wars, who acted as an adviser to Princess Elizabeth in the 1940s. Please note even a princess raised as a royal from birth and who was the heir for most of her young life needed a mentor and guidance. We know, too, that Her Majesty was a nervous public speaker and this when she was addressing her people via the radio - no tv cameras, flashbulbs and phone cameras in those days.

Of course it's not nasty to say 'use the time to learn', but it's ill-informed. The Duchess is being educated to understand the geo-political ramifications of the world that she is now a prominent part of as she will be expected to represent much on the entire Commonwealth's behalf as she becomes increasingly au fait with current political and historical expectations. With so much on her plate already, the art of public speaking may well be relegated to the back burner, with some believing that this will improve with practice and as her confidence grows.

In sum: it's one thing to say you don't like her dress, her hair, her smile, and quite another to accuse her of some sort of character-flaw such as laziness (showing no signs of 'learning anything') or to suggest a general dilatory existence in which she's willing to revel in the trappings but gives nothing in return.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent post - I agree 100%. Thank you

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Commoner

I agree 100 percent.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Polly, you summed up my thoughts on this beautifully.

A negative opinion like "I don't like that dress" or "I wish she'd wear her hair differently" is perfectly ok to say, what's been strange about the criticisms in this thread is that they've implied her whole life is a waste, that she's lazy, spoiled, unprofessional... all with no evidence. If you're going to imply someone's whole character is flawed, you should be able to substantially back up those opinions.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
yes, the speech wasn't the best. her intonation is monotone, she refers to her notes almost all the time, and looks at only one section of her audience by turning her head always to the same people.
Did you ever see the Queen (the danish Queen also comes to my mind), on the throne for over 60 years and even before her accession used to give speeches, not referring to her notes?!
If Catherine would like to read her entire speech from the script she could do so if it pleases her! Many do so, even heads of state, republican or royal, and nobody cares! So, what´s the real problem here?!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 AM
Aristocracy

her speeches are fine . I started to cry whenever I had to read my homework aloud in class (even during my last year of highschool ) and managed to go through college with only one oral presentation (which I of course botched ). I can't talk in public .
Old 02-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Kate leads the way in the style stakes as she attends fundraiser at the Portrait Gallery alongside showbiz stars including Liz Hurley-
Portrait Gallery | Mail Online

Pictures:
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge arrives for The Portrait Gala 2014 at the National Portrait Gallery in central London on February 11, 2014-
Search - Getty Images : BRITAIN-ROYALS-ART-PORTRAIT-GALA
Here is a article with Kate wearing the Necklace. 😊!! I find it a very special loan from the Queen when you find it was a wedding present from her parents

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The Royals Community mobile app

Got a little excited about the Necklace!!😊

Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
Here is a article with Kate wearing the Necklace. ��!! I find it a very special loan from the Queen when you find it was a wedding present from her parents

The necklace was a present to the then Princess Elizabeth from the Nizam of Hyderabad, and not King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 1h
A duchess, a director and a Van Dyck -- part of a @NPGLondon campaign to keep the self portrait in this country. pic.twitter.com/GTrTclQBCx

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Duchess of Cambridge admires Van Dyck self-portrait as appeal reaches £3.5million
Duchess of Cambridge admires Van Dyck self-portrait as appeal reaches £3.5million | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

In her patronage of the National Portrait Gallery, would Catherine be allowed to personally back a new artist by writing a letter of recommendation?
For example, she likes the style and use of color.
Can she write about her viewpoint or is this considered a negative?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought about this practically. She, has every right to write a letter of recommendation as a (as yet) private citizen. If she is technically, on the Board, she may be restrictected from actions that show favoritism, however.

But how I have always seen this done is very much word of mouth, buying of art, or behind the scenes maneuvering for sponsorship money for an artist for a show.

I think we are well into the days where money talks (even more than it ever did) in the modern art world. It's tangled, not much related to supply or demand and certainly not for the faint of heart. IMHO.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

The NPG is about portraits so may not be as into trends as the rest of the art world. I would think the subject of the portrait may be more important than who painted.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I thought about this practically. She, has every right to write a letter of recommendation as a (as yet) private citizen. If she is technically, on the Board, she may be restrictected from actions that show favoritism, however.

But how I have always seen this done is very much word of mouth, buying of art, or behind the scenes maneuvering for sponsorship money for an artist for a show.
AdmirerUS, Thank you for your insight!
If Catherine writes a letter as a private citizen, would some people object to this very action?
Would they declare, "She is no ordinary citizen. She is Her Royal Highness. She is the Duchess."?
Would they believe that there was favoritism?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Royal Highness

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit @TCMargate to view the 'Self: Image and Identity' exhibition on 11 March. HRH is Patron of @NPGLondon

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
.@TCMargate The Duchess will see the #VanDyck self-portrait, which she privately viewed @NPGLondon earlier this month
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

From CC 25th February:

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, National Portrait Gallery, this morning received Mr Sandy Nairne upon relinquishing his appointment as Director.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,