Patron of the Lawn Tennis Association

Announced December 20, 2016

Official Website - AELTC
Official Website - LTA

Old 01-31-2016, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of the AELTC & Lawn Tennis Association

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Exciting for tennis fans: The Queen will reportedly pass on her Wimbledon role to the Duchess of Cambridge this year

Queen lobs Wimbledon role to Kate | The Sunday Times

Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Exciting for tennis fans: The Queen will reportedly pass on her Wimbledon role to the Duchess of Cambridge this year
The passing of this patronage from the Queen to Kate doesn't come as a big surprise to me but seems to feel like passing on a patronage that will fit Kate like a pair of snug gloves. It will probably remain with Kate until, as Queen Consort, she passes it down the line to her successor.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

The Wimbledon patronage just screamed Kate. The Queen never appeared to be a huge tennis fan and Kate is. The same thing with the English Rugby Union and Harry. The Queen is also patron of the Welsh Rugby Union too. I wonder if that would be turned over to William?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The news papers have been making quite a big deal of the Queen handing over these sporting patronages. However these are not sports that the Queen is much a fan of or has done much with - she hasn't attended rugby matches for over 20 years according to the Daily Mail and attending Wimbledon has been rare and when she does it looks like its the most boring engagement ever for the Queen.
It seems an obvious choice for it to be given to Kate who is passionate about tennis. Look forward to this being announced in the near future.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It's the Duke of Kent as President that has the high profile for The All England Club and attends most days of the Wimbledon tournament.

HMQ has only visited 4 times in her entire reign.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Even though QEII will be handing the patronage over to Kate, I still see the DoK being present throughout the tournament.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm glad more responsibility are being handed down to Catherine.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Why couldn't Kate present the Ladies champion trophy like the Duchess of Kent used to do? If the All England Club has grass roots tennis programs that could be something else Kate could do sort of how William helps promote grass roots soccer with The FA.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

She'll have a role to play. The Queen just wasn't active in her role as patron.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
She'll have a role to play. The Queen just wasn't active in her role as patron.

Exactly and it is about time a Royal who loves the game passionately becomes the Royal Patron of Wimbledon. I think we'll be surprised by what Catherine will bring to the role, simply because Her Majesty is not a Tennis Fan and in turn, IMHO, this is one of her Patron of an Organization that when people think of Britain, they think of... Patronages. Which is no slam against Her Majesty, as we have all had to take things on we were bored to tears over simply because it was the right thing to do. Like when she turned up for Andy Murray's Semi Final a few years ago. I'm sure Her Majesty felt she like she was watching paint dry, but she was there to cheer on Andy and if she hadn't, the uproar would have been huge.

I hope what I'm trying to say is getting across.

One thing I'd love to see Catherine do, is attend some of the Paralympic Wheelchair matches. Not many know they also take part in the Grand Slams as well. Unless you follow Paralympic Sport that is. Her attendance at those matches would also bring the Press and in turn...Win Win IMO!!!

We'll have to wait and see, but I do think we'll be surprised to see what direction Catherine takes this in.

I also hope any of that made sense. I always watch as much live coverage from the Aussie Open that I can, but w/a Canadian in the mix!?! To say I'm Sleep Deprived is a huge understatement ATM!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Exactly and it is about time a Royal who loves the game passionately becomes the Royal Patron of Wimbledon. I think we'll be surprised by what Catherine will bring to the role, simply because Her Majesty is not a Tennis Fan and in turn, IMHO, this is one of her Patron of an Organization that when people think of Britain, they think of... Patronages. Which is no slam against Her Majesty, as we have all had to take things on we were bored to tears over simply because it was the right thing to do. Like when she turned up for Andy Murray's Semi Final a few years ago. I'm sure Her Majesty felt she like she was watching paint dry, but she was there to cheer on Andy and if she hadn't, the uproar would have been huge.

I hope what I'm trying to say is getting across.

One thing I'd love to see Catherine do, is attend some of the Paralympic Wheelchair matches. Not many know they also take part in the Grand Slams as well. Unless you follow Paralympic Sport that is. Her attendance at those matches would also bring the Press and in turn...Win Win IMO!!!

We'll have to wait and see, but I do think we'll be surprised to see what direction Catherine takes this in.

I also hope any of that made sense. I always watch as much live coverage from the Aussie Open that I can, but w/a Canadian in the mix!?! To say I'm Sleep Deprived is a huge understatement ATM!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Oh I love the idea of her publicizing the Paralympic matches! Very good idea

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I, too, think Kate will make an excellent patron for this. As she is to take over the Queen's role, I'm sure that she will eager to do all she can. One thing I do expect her to do though is respect the standing that the current President, the Duke of Kent holds. Kate just seems the type to be more apt to work with someone rather than just take over a top spot. For all we know, the DoK may actually welcome someone younger taking the reins more and more.

With all of Harry's focus on wounded service personnel and Kate's emphasis on youth, in the future it would be really nice to see more and more focus put on sports and disabilities and grass roots programs as a whole. Champions are to be found in every level and should be celebrated.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Wimbledon patronage just screamed Kate. The Queen never appeared to be a huge tennis fan and Kate is. The same thing with the English Rugby Union and Harry. The Queen is also patron of the Welsh Rugby Union too. I wonder if that would be turned over to William?

I'm so glad to see that the Queen is turning over these patronages to the younger generation, What I'm exceedingly glad of is that they are being turned over to someone who actually loves the sports they will be patronizing. Yes, Wimbledon screams Kate, just like rugby with William and Harry.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
“We would like to welcome HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, who will take up The Queen’s former duties as our Patron, and also recognise with appreciation the ongoing contribution of HRH The Duke of Kent, who will continue his long-standing role as our President.”
Read more: The AELTC pays tribute to Her Majesty The Queen - The Championships, Wimbledon 2017 - Official Site by IBM
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It's long been expected that Kate would take on this role - i wonder who will become the patron of the LTA which is another one of the patronages the Queen is giving up. I see this being for the Duchess of Gloucester who already works a lot for them and represents them on numerous engagements

Old 12-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge also becomes Patron of the Lawn Tennis Association.

Quote:
"We are excited to welcome HRH The Duchess of Cambridge as our Patron from 2017, and wish to thank HRH The Duchess of Gloucester for her continued and steadfast support as she remains in her role as Honorary President."
Read more: https://www.lta.org.uk/news/general-...sty-the-queen/
Old 12-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Majesty

This is great, Kate can be the de facto tennis supporter for the BRF now.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Congrats YRH!
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/...the_queen.html

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Great to see Kate taking on more patronages.

LaRae