The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PA Royal Reporters ‏@PARoyal 6m6 minutes ago
The #DuchessofCambridge made a private visit today to a hospital school
for children suffering from mental health problems.

PA Royal Reporters ‏@PARoyal 5m5 minutes ago
#Kate spent around an hour and a half meeting youngsters and staff at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in Beckenham, Kent

PA Royal Reporters ‏@PARoyal 2m2 minutes ago
Six months pregnant #Kate, who just returned from holiday in Mustique, was there in her role as patron of charity @Place2Be

PA Royal Reporters @PARoyal · 50 secs 51 seconds ago
Six months pregnant #Kate, who just returned from holiday in Mustique, was there in her role as patron of charity @Place2Be

PA Royal Reporters @PARoyal · 4 mins 4 minutes ago
#Kate spent around an hour and a half meeting youngsters and staff at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in Beckenham, Kent

PA Royal Reporters @PARoyal · 5 mins 5 minutes ago
The #DuchessofCambridge made a private visit today to a hospital school for children suffering from mental health problems.
How nice :) Makes me happy! :)

I wonder if it is necessary to underline that she is pregnant and has come back from Mustique! :whistling:

Good to know she's back on royal duty.

Duchess in visit to hospital school - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
A Kensington Palace spokeswoman said: "The Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School, Beckenham.

"This visit was arranged through Place2Be, of which HRH is Royal Patron, after learning about their work during the Place 2 Reflect conference last year to further develop her knowledge of the sector."

Kate had listened to the school's headteacher Dr John Ivens, an educational psychologist, speak at the Place2Be conference on children's mental health in June.

She became patron of Place2Be - the leading UK provider of school-based mental health support - in 2013 and is passionate about its cause. She has become closely involved with its attempts to provide early intervention for children before problems escalate.

The Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School caters for pupils who are patients of the Bethlem or Maudsley Hospitals. It provides education for boys, girls and adolescents aged 4 to 19.

Duchess of Cambridge records video message urging 'early action' for children struggling with mental health issues | Daily Mail Online
The Duchess of Cambridge has delivered a rare video address to highlight the importance of children's problems to prevent them getting worse in later life.

In the message, recorded to support the UK's first Children's Mental Health Week, Kate, 33, says that she and her husband the Duke of Cambridge have seen how many children struggle to cope with bullying, bereavement, family breakdown and other issues, which can lead to depression, anxiety, addiction and self-harm.

The mother-of-one said the stigma around mental health means that many children do not get the help they so badly need, and this needs to change.

She made the comments in an online video for Place2Be, which provides emotional help and support in schools.

Kate, who has been royal patron of the charity since 2013, said: 'Through Place2Be I have seen the benefits of offering children support for their mental health in the safety of the school environment,' says Kate, who has been royal patron of the charity since 2013.

'Both William and I sincerely believe that early action can prevent problems in childhood from turning into larger ones later in life.'

I agree that she's done very well with delivering this message. Hopefully it might make someone consider seeking help for a child they know are in need of these services.

I agree. This really hits home for me, and it makes me so proud that she is fighting for this issue! That broken arm comment is so spot on!! Good delivery! Poor thing seems winded though, probably pregnancy lack of space :p

Brilliant video message from Her Royal Highness and I hope people will do whatever they can to help support Children's Mental Health Week.

I agree. This really hits home for me, and it makes me so proud that she is fighting for this issue! That broken arm comment is so spot on!! Good delivery! Poor thing seems winded though, probably pregnancy lack of space :p

That was one of the main talking points of Bell Let's Talk Day here in Canada this year. (I posted a thread about it over in our General Topic board/area if you would like to know more). No one would blink if you had to take off early to see the Dentist, but if you said it was to go see your Psychologist? Completely different story.

I still firmly believe if we could get rid of what I call the B word, in this case Bullying, and call it what it is Peer Abuse, we'd make a lot more headway. That's a discussion for another thread though...

Well Done Your Royal Highness!! My Goodness she has come a very long way in how she delivered her message. A very, very long way indeed.

Such an important issue and I'm so happy that we've got someone w/such a high profile as the Duchess taking it on. Hopefully w/her involvement, more people will get interested and in turn, get the discussion started in more places.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It's an important cause, great that Kate did a video message. She's not a natural speaking in front of a camera though.
IMO she could have taken out the 'William & I', it's her charity, so own it yourself!

She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.

She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.

Aren't we glad that come judgement day, she will be judged for more than her ability to deliver a speech.

As a monarchist Kate makes me very proud. This is an excellent cause and when her message was released Twitter blew up. All the newspapers and media in Britain are covering it.
Glad Kate can use her high profile to raise awareness for the UK's first Children's Mental Health Week

I am so pleased that Catherine has taken up this cause and highlighting it such a positive and meaningful way. I have always felt that mental health is as important as physical health - particularly with children because if the issues a child have are not resolved, they can carry on into adulthood.
I do not mind adding that the issues of which Catherine speaks far outweigh the importance of her speech delivery (which incidentally sounded fine to me).

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 3h 3 hours ago
Just 6% of Britain's mental health budget goes on children. Health service spending on child mental health has fallen 6% since 2010.

Interesting to see the Duchess of Cambridge stepping up to tackle slightly edgier issues head on with a direct message

Personally, I feel that Kate too often hopes to get messages over via pictures and listening to people explaining important issues.

It's far more powerful if the public can hear her stating what the problems and solutions are, though not every single time of course.

She's a very bright woman, passionate about some causes. If we hear her voicing her concerns, media coverage is less likely to be her outfit

Kate's pigeonholed by the media in the "doesn't she look pretty?" fluffy slots but can change that over time, I believe.

I agree with Richard, her voice should be heard more. I'm glad we are actually hearing her voice her concern for Children's Mental Health, rather than just seeing pictures of her talking to people most of the time. Her voice is powerful and it can make a difference. Well done HRH and keep this up.

THE Duchess of Cambridge is appealing for a change in attitudes towards the mental health problems affecting one in 10 of Britain’s children.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...Cambridge-plea-children-mental-health-charity

It's an important cause, great that Kate did a video message. She's not a natural speaking in front of a camera though.
IMO she could have taken out the 'William & I', it's her charity, so own it yourself!

She included William because these are the causes she and William are strong advocates.

Last edited:

Good cause.
Wow, harsh much? The only problem I could tell was her breathing and that can obviously be contributed to smaller lung capacity due to the pregnancy.

This recorded video was better and flowed smoothly... She still has to improve but at least the focus was on the appeal and not on her clothing or her pregnancy...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom