The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This seems like such a fantastic school!
As someone who dropped out of school very early and was than educated in a program for kids who could not integrate properly (for many reasons) into the regular school system I can not begin to even say how important it is to provide guidance to the parents too, wish I had that at my program. They only focused on basics like math and English and some history for us to get the 11 year certificate and than move on to my GED, alone; looking back that really hurt my GED grades because I had no pre education how to deal with that material that kids learn at school. I think it would have done wonders for my mom to understand my difficulties at the time, as it would have also meant I would have gotten the support I needed.

So I really have such huge respect for Catherine, for supporting these organizations, especially as she comes from a pretty stable family and school experiences (though I think I read she suffered through some bullying at one of the schools she attended which is why she switched to a different one?- so that may have impacted her desire to take on this type of advocacy).

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for sharing your experience evolvingdoors. I'm sorry that the program that you attended didn't provide that support/guidance to parents so they could better understand their student's needs. I can only hope that over time the program was able to include that so everyone could benefit.?

^^^ Video from today's visit

"As far as we are concerned she’s the most important woman doing this in the world right now. To the millions of children who have been suffering in silence, she is their voice."

- Professor Peter Fonagy, the Anna Freud Centre’s CEO

Last edited by a moderator:
How Kate Makes Kids with Mental Health Battles Feel 'Two Inches' Taller - People Magazine

Kate's mission to tackle the stigma surrounding mental health in youth is already making a difference.

Visiting the Kantor Centre of Excellence at the Anna Freud National Centre for Families and Children on Wednesday, the royal mom was excited to see the new faciilities.

“[Kate] was very pleased with the building,” Peter Fonagy, chief executive of Anna Freud Center, tells PEOPLE. “She had been with us along the journey, and she was both pleased for us and relieved that it has worked and that the building is nice.

It is a friendly building that you feel comfortable in and not an institution. Somewhere people can come and feel at home.”

Read more: https://people.com/royals/how-kate-...mental-health-battles-feel-two-inches-taller/

I loved reading the articles and seeing the photos of this visit. Such an event is where Catherine IMO feels most at ease. You can tell she's genuinely interested in what the children and young people speaking to her were saying and that she made them feel at ease.

I'm sad to think that this is happening but, unfortunately, schools all over the place are cutting the creative angles of their educational agendas due to dwindling finances.

To me, the creative arts are the venues where children really learn to express themselves whether its through painting and creating works of art, music education to express themselves through sounds or the dramatic arts. Of course the basics such as reading, writing, history, the sciences on how things work are important but to me, that's creating children as data banks that know things without teaching them how to be creative by using their own imagination and talents to express themselves and think for themselves.

Is it true they £50K is all that’s needed to keep them open? I would think an auction of items from Kate and other celebs would be able to raise that amount. Shame this organization will have to stop their much needed services, especially in light of Kate’s Early Years/Broken Britain campaign.

Is it true they £50K is all that’s needed to keep them open? I would think an auction of items from Kate and other celebs would be able to raise that amount. Shame this organization will have to stop their much needed services, especially in light of Kate’s Early Years/Broken Britain campaign.

There are loads of wealthy people in Oxfordshire who could raise £50K faster than I could blink. Let's hope they do.

I know what you meand - and I agree with your post, but one, small thing. Catherine is not a celebrity. She's a member of BRF, and while it comes with a big interest in her life/charity work, does not mean she's a celebrity.

I know what you meand - and I agree with your post, but one, small thing. Catherine is not a celebrity. She's a member of BRF, and while it comes with a big interest in her life/charity work, does not mean she's a celebrity.

She is a celebrity, not the entertainment sort, but she and everyone else in the BRF are still celebrities.

celebrity
noun
UK /səˈleb.rə.ti/ US /səˈleb.rə.t̬i/

B1 [ C ]
someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business

Why can't Kate help her patronage raise the money to stay afloat?
What is the point of having a Royal Patron?

Last edited:
Why can't Kate help her patronage raise the money to stay afloat?
What is the point of having a Royal Patron?

She has raised money in the past with the Kings Cup, Place2Be which is The Art Rooms parent charity was a receiver of funds raised.

However 50K is what's needed for the art room to stay afloat, not by any means to prosper as it should. It's had financial trouble for years, which is why it merged with Place2Be, so there is something more than finances wrong with the model they are using to run it. None of which is a concern for Catherine.

The 50K seems to be pretty wrong

2people from that sector shine a bit of light on the issue

I hope it helps clear some question up, it did for me.

and this https://duchessofostergotlands.tumb...-these-people-up-in-arms-about-kate-not-doing

People really enjoy talking about the charity sector with no knowledge, huh? So let’s break it down:

- Kate isn’t patron of The Art Room and hasn’t been since January 2018. If you look at her pages on the royal website it is not listed amongst her patronages. This is because it merged with Place2Be in 2018 because it was having financial difficulties and is therefore a project of Place2Be, not a charity. Anyone who doesn’t know this should probably be written off immediately for not doing basic research

-Patrons have no legal role in their charities and cannot legally make decisions about what is and isn’t continued. They are not consulted about strategic decisions

-There have been discussions about how she could have raised the money etc etc. If you look at the accounts they were getting money in for The Art Room. It’s a trendy thing, there’s lots of funders out there for the arts. It’s not about not being able to make the money. It’s about sustainability and value for money. The Art Room is unfortunately an unsustainable model with low value for money. Let me explain how:

-The Art Room costs over £860,000 a year to run. Whatever other figures you’re seeing twirling about are not accurate. They may be the cost of running a reduced service in one location but The Art Room as it stands cost Place2Be £860,000 in their last set of independently audited accounts. That is a reduction in costs as before the merge it cost about £1.1 million to run The Art Room as a separate organisation. This figure will rise every year because of inflation and would only maintain the current level of provision. Expanding the service would increase the costs further

-In order for a service to be considered sustainable it either has to generate its own income or you have to have a diversified, secure funding pipeline. Even if one major donor came in and said they’d give £860k for it to continue that would not be considered good because what about the year after? Five years after? Ten? Twenty? It is poor practice to have a major, continuous project dependent on the whims of one donor. So even if The Royal Foundation had funded it- which they wouldn’t, they rarely commit that amount and they are venture philanthropists so they only fund projects until they’re considered sustainable- or one of Kate’s rich friends or the fandom (lol) they would still be in this position next year or the year after.

-Unfortunately The Art Room model is also low value for money. With that £860,000 they are in eight schools permanently and have offered some kind of service to 54 schools in total. To give you some perspective there are around 30,000 schools in England, Scotland and Wales. They are in less than 0.2% of schools. Those numbers are not good enough which is why they had to merge with Place2Be in the first place.

-The Art Room is not closing entirely, it’s just taking on a new model. As with many charity sector initiatives it is stepping away from providing one off services and moving towards training and dissemination. Generating income takes time and money. If you had the option to spend that time and money delivering face to face services to 54 schools or delivering training on your approach to school staff in hundreds of schools across the nation- staff who can then take it to their own local context and adapt it for their school’s needs- which would you pick? There is only one right answer.

Court Circular 9th March:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, this evening held a Gala Dinner at Buckingham Palace to mark the Twenty Fifth Anniversary of Place2Be.

Court Circular 8th April:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge and The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Place2Be, this afternoon held a conference call with teachers and pupils from Casterton Primary Academy, Burnley, Lancashire.

Catherine releases video at the start of Children's Mental Health week. It ends with a reminder for parents/guardians to care for their own mental well being.

Tomorrow is the start of Children's Mental Health Week - an opportunity to remind ourselves not just how important our own children's mental health is but also parental wellbeing too. We look forward to sharing more about the year's theme of expressing yourself this week.

2nd February, 2021 The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Place2Be, this afternoon held a Meeting with Ms Catherine Roche (Chief Executive Officer) via telephone.

2nd February, 2021 Her Royal Highness, Patron, Place2Be, afterwards spoke via video link to teachers of Ribbon Academy, Barnes Road, Murton, Seaham, County Durham.

Kate has endless amount of money i'm sure she can help them out. As a patron I would hope she would...

:previous: While I do believe that members of the various royal families do make private donations to their patronages/charities, their primary role is to bring public awareness to the organizations and to assist with fundraising. They're not meant to be a sole or primary source of funding. Keep in mind that some of the organizations do receive taxpayer funding ie: NHS hospitals.

This link to the British Monarchy's official website explains the role of royal patrons in the United Kingdom.

https://www.royal.uk/charities-and-patronages-1

The Queen and other Members of the Royal Family lend their names and much of their time to many different charities and organisations. Currently, over 3,000 organisations list a member of the Royal Family as their patron or president. These range from well-known charities such as the British Red Cross to new, smaller charities like the Reedham Children's Trust, to regiments in the Armed Forces
Having a Royal patron or president provides vital publicity for the work of these organisations, and allows their enormous achievements and contributions to society to be recognised.

Last edited:
Catherine speaking with teachers during a meeting for Children's Mental Health week.

Update on the success and increase in use by Early Years, primary and now secondary schools with the Mentally Healthy Schools initiative.

The Duchess's Mentally Healthy Schools Initiative Expands - The Rumble Online - Opinions, Movies, Travel, Tech, Books and so much more!

T
he Duchess of Cambridge’s ‘Mentally Healthy School (MHS)’ initiative is expanding just in time for when students return to school in England next month. The valuable resource, run by both the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families and the Duchess’s mental health brainchild Heads Together, will expand the service to offer support and resources to secondary school students and further education colleges. The resource-based website already provides vital support to primary schools and the Early Years sector.
The expansion will go live in March – a move designed in response to the announcement that all school students in England will return to the classroom on March 8th, after the nationwide lockdown forced the majority of them to be home-schooled.

The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Place2Be & Other Child Mental Health Charities

This thread is now closed. You can discuss these charities in the normal Current Events thread for the Princess of Wales, which you can find here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom