The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

St. Andrew's fashion show 2018 will be donating its proceeds to the Anna Freud National Centre. As most of you know the AFNC's patron is a St. Andrew's alumna and participated in the fashion show while a student.

https://standrewsfashion.co.uk/

Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge speaks to pupils, parents and teachers about the importance of working together to support young people as they learn to be the best version of themselves during Place2Be Children’s Mental Health Week

Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 AM
Aristocracy

Is Kate mumbling?

I have sometimes difficulties in understanding, what Kate says. Is she mumbling? Some consonants seem to have disappeared in her prononciation.

But it might be me - my english is not very good.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
I have sometimes difficulties in understanding, what Kate says. Is she mumbling? Some consonants seem to have disappeared in her prononciation.

But it might be me - my english is not very good.
I agree. I experience the same garbling. It came across in that conversation that she, William and Harry had around a picnic table: significantly difficult to follow what she was saying. She is not articulating her words. She's slurring her words.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

She sounds just like any other posh British person to me. But then RP English is what we’re taught in school and I watch mostly British news and TV.
Do you have the same problem with those people talking to her in this video?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
She sounds just like any other posh British person to me. But then RP English is what we’re taught in school and I watch mostly British news and TV.

Do you have the same problem with those people talking to her in this video?
Not me. Most everyone else is articulating. I work with language articulation (as it happens) and I can tell you Kate is not articulating (well) the posh British accent (in this instance). Very sloppy speaking. Okay for casual intimate conversation but for an interview as a public person, no. JMO.

BTW in her engagement interview she was articulating well. There's been a fall-off for some reason.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Majesty

It’s the accent Kate would have been exposed to her whole life. RP English is also known as ‘public school English’. Kate has attended public school since a small child.

A few years back Max Foster of CNN did an interview with Prince Charles and they used subtitles for the American audience.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It’s the accent Kate would have been exposed to her whole life. RP English is also known as ‘public school English’. Kate has attended public school since a small child.

A few years back Max Foster of CNN did an interview with Prince Charles and they used subtitles for the American audience.
It's not the RP accent, it's that she is not articulating that RP accent. For some reason she has started to slur, rush through her words which means she drops a lot of consonants. I am agreeing with vicitor1234.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
It's not the RP accent, it's that she is not articulating that RP accent. For some reason she has started to slur, rush through her words which means she drops a lot of consonants. I am agreeing with vicitor1234.
Everyone has a different ear. I can understand her as clear as a bell with no ‘slurring’
Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Everyone has a different ear. I can understand her as clear as a bell with no ‘slurring’
That's good. Please accept that others may have a different experience (and judgment).
Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

It’s obvious that Kate has been practicing public speaking, probably with a coach, and I think this might have messed up her natural accent. So, now she speaks with a mix of them that might sound unusual to some people.
I understand her perfectly, but then I teach EFL and work with many non-native speakers, so am used to different accents.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I hear her fine but this could simply be a technical issue. The other voices we hear seem much clearer and they were taped while filming. They could have been indivually wired for sound, or the classroom was filled with people making the acoustics better. Kate seemed to be taped for her voice over narration in an empty room. They could have used different equipment with her.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

If you wish to continue the discussion about Kate's accent, please take it to the Royal Accents thread.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought her message was fine. I’m glad she’s gotten in the habit of doing these video messages.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron of @Place2Be, will officially open the charity's new headquarters in London on Wednesday 7th March.

The headquarters will provide state-of-the-art facilities to enable @Place2Be to train more counsellors, teachers and school leaders to provide emotional and therapeutic support to children in schools.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter
Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge opened the new Place2Be headquarters today, March 7:

** dailymail article ** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, Opens the New Place2Be HQ’s in London-
https://itnproductions.com/news/vide...ondon?type=raw

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Majesty

From today

Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Majesty

On Wednesday 21st March, The Duchess of Cambridge will convene a symposium on the importance of early intervention to provide solid social and emotional platforms for children in their early years, helping them to become healthier and more resilient later in life.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/...432628736?s=21
Old 03-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge attended an early intervention for children and families symposium at the Royal Society of Medicine in London today, March 21:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

** dailymail: It's easy being green! Pregnant Kate looks blooming in mint as she attends a child mental health symposium..**