The 'Cambridge Set' and Friends

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirabel

Heir Apparent
City
Philadelphia
Country
United States
A recent news article mentioned the fact that so many of William's friends are offspring of Charles' friends- the group that is known as the Highgrove Set, with familiar names like Van Cutsem, Tollemache, Van Straubenzee, Palmer-Tomlinson, etc.

Will the sons and daughters of Charles' friends form the basis of what will now be the Cambridge Set?

The article mentioned that Diana regarded this group (the Highgrove Set) with dread; does it mean that William is taking on more and more of his father's tastes and character?

Or is it simply that we all tend to befriend the people we see most frequently and know to be trustworthy?

Last edited:
In Prince William case the friends selection must be a lot about keeping it shoosh. He's very private and seems to prefer people whose background he is already familiar with.
Can't blame him for it. To trust someone in his position must be hard. But since so many people who have have met him and Catherine say they are really down to earth, I assume they have a good head on their shoulders and are not that affected by others.

In Prince William case the friends selection must be a lot about keeping it shoosh. He's very private and seems to prefer people whose background he is already familiar with.
Can't blame him for it. To trust someone in his position must be hard. But since so many people who have have met him and Catherine say they are really down to earth, I assume they have a good head on their shoulders and are not that affected by others.

I'm sure like any one of us, we form our first friendships because of where our parents lived and what their lifestyle was like. It would stand to reason then that Charles' "Highgrove set" would have wanted the same for their children, the same schools, the polo clubs and other activities and with that, William would have formed early friendships. There's also the Glossy possie which is a nickname for the group of Will's friends from that area. As he grew older of course his circle expanded.. to St. Andrew's .. to the military and to his patronages and interests. I think it was very much reflected in his wedding guests of who and what is important to him in his life. The guest lists showed a big chunk of the invitees there that meant something to both William and Kate. And I do say Kate as I would imagine that with her being with him for so many years, his friends and his interests would have become hers as much as hers became his. What I did think was amusing was the "test" William would have. He'd slip a bit of nonsense to people and if it showed up in the papers, he knew where it came from. The man has smarts methinks.

They are very down to earth people and obviously make friends wherever they go. They are private people but aren't exclusive and seem to connect with people no matter where they go. In a way I think its a gift that many politicians of this world would wish they had.

It boils down to one thing. whatever you give out is what is given back to you in return.

Osipi, thanks for this very thoughful analysis.

I feel that the difference between politicians and members of the aristocracy is not as great as one might think.

Through the Scottish Parliament I have met a large number of parlamentarians; the majority of these are just like you and me, but one can tell which are the exceptional ones. They are unfailingly polite and don't push themselves forward, and I think of them as the "aristocrats of parliament".

Silly me. I was thinking the emeralds!

I don't think William is friends with the Palmer - Tomlinsons. They were no doubt invited to his wedding by his dad. The other friends mentioned aren't friends of the Prince Wales except for the van Cutsems. The Tollemaches and von Straubenzees were friends of William's mother. Pelly and most other friends, he made on his own at infant school or Eton.

I am sure that the Duke and Duchess will make up their on mind as to which people they are friendly with.

I am sure that the Duke and Duchess will make up their on mind as to which people they are friendly with.

They are certainly welcome to meet and possibly befriend the Duke and Duchess of Durham. :)

The Tollemaches and von Straubenzees were friends of William's mother.

I don't think so.
Diana had very few friends, especially after the divorce from Charles.

I recall reading that most of the aristocracy who'd befriended her simply dropped her afterwards, preferring to keep on good terms with Charles. Diana could no longer count on taking her sons to the country house parties and shooting events so common in that strata of society.

William and Harry basically grew up around the same people who were close to their father, although it is true they both have close friendships from prep school and Eton.

WhatKateWore.com ‏@WhatKateWore
Kate & Lupo out for a stroll in Hyde Park yesterday, many thanks to WKW FB friend Jennifer for sharing the photo. pic.twitter.com/peCp2HC6f3

Could that friend be Trini? she has similar hair and Trini has a baby

Yes she's Trini Foyle for sure :flowers:
She was spotted with her at Kensington Gardens in November too

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Trini Foyle? Can somebody enlighten me? :)

:previous: Thank heavens for the Google and the Twitter. That way we can truly keep up with her current events.

Who is Trini Foyle? Can somebody enlighten me? :)

She's one of her friends like Emilia d'Erlanger. They went to see the Cirque du Soleil’s Kooza show on her 31st birthday :flowers:

Yes now I remember. Thanks to all for the quick information. :)

I recall reading something a few months ago that William had suspected a leak among his circle of friends so he put forth various stories to different friends to see which one would end up 'outside'.

I wonder who got the axe.

LaRae

I recall reading something a few months ago that William had suspected a leak among his circle of friends so he put forth various stories to different friends to see which one would end up 'outside'.

I wonder who got the axe.

LaRae

Apparently not Harry Aubrey-Fletcher.

If ever one would NOT want to be a royal it would be because of this "friend" mess. It is shocking that the mutual friends of Diana and Charles cut Diana off after the divorce--(if this report is true, of course, which one can always doubt). It would be nice if they had some friends from, say, a church social group...some people who were not richly rich and did not go, necessarily, to Eton. But of course this is what the RF has always been, an exclusive social club.
If one were to be royal it would be better to be so in a smaller monarchy, where it might be possible to make friends based on real empathy and merit.

Or is this "friend set" just a made-up pap story? I hope so.

Last edited:
Um, most people have friend who are part of the same social, social-economic circle as them.

But of course this is what the RF has always been, an exclusive social club.

Well the Royaly Family isn't an exclusive social club. Royals go to the top schools, because a, they can afford to and b, they get in. That is also the case for the "rich kid friends". Therefore, usually, the people you go to school with become their friends and often friends for life.

If one were to be royal it would be better to be so in a smaller monarchy, where it might be possible to make friends based on real empathy and merit..

Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.

Well the Royaly Family isn't an exclusive social club. Royals go to the top schools, because a, they can afford to and b, they get in. That is also the case for the "rich kid friends". Therefore, usually, the people you go to school with become their friends and often friends for life.

Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.

The Queen's children didn't go to the "top schools". I think she inherited from her mother the idea that education wasn't all that important. I dont think Gordonstoun is a "top school" in the sense that it has high academic achievement. It is, however, quite pricey.

William and Harry went to Eton - I'm not aware that any other Royals went their previously - but happy to be corrected. I thought that prior to HMQ children, they were mostly educated at home or through military establishments.

EDIT: Gloucesters and Kents went to Eton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.[/QUOTE

The Queen's children didn't go to the "top schools". I think she inherited from her mother the idea that education wasn't all that important. I dont think Gordonstoun is a "top school" in the sense that it has high academic achievement. It is, however, quite pricey.

William and Harry went to Eton - I'm not aware that any other Royals went their previously - but happy to be corrected. I thought that prior to HMQ children, they were mostly educated at home or through military establishments.

I think Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester went to Eton.

:previous: yes, I edited and corrected. William and Richard of Gloucester also attended. Thanks :flowers:

Gordonstoun has more to do with Philip than children going to a top school. Education is important for anyone whether you pay for it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom