The 'Cambridge Set' and Friends

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they could have a lot in common and actually work together for a common cause. :D

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that the "upstaging Kate in her royal role" is too ridiculous to even contemplate.

Contrary to popular belief, a patron does not involve his/her full attention to the cause he/she is patron of. its called spearheading a cause or an organization or even sometimes, lending a name saying "I like what they do" and cutting ribbons and plaques commemorating events. This is what the British royals *used* to do. They gave the royal accolade and the royal assent that they "approved". In the words of Queen Mary "we are never tired and we love hospitals". She was a patron that cut ribbons and loved plaques.

We're in a different era now. We're seeing far beyond the plaques and the ribbon cutting and photo ops. We're seeing the people that are members of the royal family of the UK actively getting involved in what they patronize and we find out why they want to be involved. One just has to look at Harry and William and *know* they're going to continue their dad's passion for the environment and conservation to know he's taught them well.

We see this with the Royal Foundation. They back it but have the people dedicated to the day to day workings of the different projects.

William and Kate know the road they need to take and they're being as hands on as they possibly can and it shows from what we read in the Court Circular . The meetings, the planning are not all photo ops but rather being informed of where the cause is going into the future. Then again, some only go by what the Fail reports

To insinuate a power struggle for a cause that both Rose and Kate share a common interest in and work for, is purely asinine. Its not going to float with me. If anything, she's made a friend that shares a common goal for a cause. It doesn't indicate BFF and "besties" but actually two people sharing a common interest and making a difference.

Just my long winded opinion.

On a more abstract level: I wonder, if royals can have "real" friends, you know, not buddies, but trustworthy friends.

Once I followed a link here in the forums onto the "Daily Mail" and did read on further... and there seems to be a girl which did rise to fame, because she might have had (!) a one night stand with this Justin Bieber guy...

The days of privacy are over, there are smartphones with extraordinary good cameras everywhere! For royals the life outside their palaces must be like an orwellian nightmare!

So, to close the circle: What, if the Duchess and the Marchionesse were never real friends?

I'll be honest with you. I'd never heard of the Daily Mail at all until I came to these threads. I came here originally for silly Ascot hats. That was over 10 years ago and I'm still here and I'm too old to be a "Belieber". Than again, with my ears, I've never actually listened to him. I'll blow another head phone set out listening to Gordon Lightfoot though. (I know.. I know.. Gordon who???) :D I don't do yellow journalism either which feeds on the "scandal" and the "scoop of the day" but I have discovered that the Daily Mail has the best photographers around.

To answer your question about Kate and Rose actually ever being "friends", that is something that is totally between the two of them and not for public consumption. The press loves to drum up stories and innuendos and "scoops" where they actually have no clue what they're talking about. Will and Kate (along with the rest of the BRF) keep their private lives just that. Private.

It sucks to live in a goldfish bowl. In the words of the Duke of Edinburgh. "you have mosquitoes. We have the press" *NOT* the life I'd like at all.

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you. I'd never heard of the Daily Mail at all until I came to these threads. I came here originally for silly Ascot hats. That was over 10 years ago and I'm still here and I'm too old to be a "Belieber". Than again, with my ears, I've never actually listened to him. I'll blow another head phone set out listening to Gordon Lightfoot though. (I know.. I know.. Gordon who???) :D I don't do yellow journalism either which feeds on the "scandal" and the "scoop of the day" but I have discovered that the Daily Mail has the best photographers around.

To answer your question about Kate and Rose actually ever being "friends", that is something that is totally between the two of them and not for public consumption. The press loves to drum up stories and innuendos and "scoops" where they actually have no clue what they're talking about. Will and Kate (along with the rest of the BRF) keep their private lives just that. Private.

It sucks to live in a goldfish bowl. In the words of the Duke of Edinburgh. "you have mosquitoes. We have the press" *NOT* the life I'd like at all.

Well they don't need to do it if they don't like it but any time in history that the Monarchy has come close to being abolished they have fought like mad to keep their position.

Most people have friends that come with different levels of friendship throughout their lives. The members of the Royal family are probably the same. There are a few people who will be close friends forever. There are probably people who are work friends, people that are friends of friends, people that were closer friends at one point because of proximity, etc. All is perfectly normal, but doesn't make for a good salacious story.

Well they don't need to do it if they don't like it but any time in history that the Monarchy has come close to being abolished they have fought like mad to keep their position.

It's good to be the King! ??

What it all boils down to is the monarchy is public and the BRF have very public roles that serve the people. That doesn't give the people the right to know how often they use the bathroom or if William puts on a right sock before a left sock or if, in the bathroom, he trims his nose hairs (which by now probably rank more than the hairs on his head but what do I know?) In this day and age where a burp or a fart is heard around the world in a matter of seconds, is it really surprising that most "yellow journalism" deals with what most of us would consider a huge invasion of privacy?

Just curious. Do you think *all* aspects of their lives should be in the public domain? They don't call it the royal fishbowl for nothing. ;)

It's good to be the King! ??

I believe the Queen has that on a pillow at Balmora only it states Queen. ;)

Case in point. HM, The Queen was very close with her cousin, Margaret Rhodes. She was never in the limelight nor did she want to be. She knew the Queen best from childhood and published her "memoirs" with the OK given by her dear friend, Elizabeth. BTW: the book is called "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir by the Queen's Cousin": Its a good read. ;)

Last edited:
The reported "conflict" between the Duchess and her friend is great gossip. The British upper classes are rich (?) fodder for such gossip, and any royal connection just makes it better as far as the press is concerned. If there is anything to the rumour , I doubt if it is about jealousy related to patronages, charities, or the local garden show--it would likely be an issue of more substance. At the moment, I do not believe the rumours are true in any way.

I plead guilty...

The press loves to drum up stories and innuendos and "scoops" where they actually have no clue what they're talking about...It sucks to live in a goldfish bowl. In the words of the Duke of Edinburgh. "you have mosquitoes. We have the press" *NOT* the life I'd like at all.

But are we not all guilty of consumating these stories and by this are we not all encouraging the press? :whistling:

I at least find this all very intriguing, especially the intrigues...

We will see, what happens next! From my, ok, very short timed observation: The english press has an habit to become more aggressive towards royal stories, if Britain is a bit in unrest... and now the Brexit... so, there will be more to come!

Queen Sofia of Spain once allegedly said that "Royals don't have friends, they have family"

And that is more, than some can say!

Queen Sofia of Spain once allegedly said that "Royals don't have friends, they have family"
And this is why the royals pick their friends in school. They all have quite a small circle of friends in the great scheme of things. I am sure the Cambridge's are happily acquainted with the local country set even though with them living in London, they don't see them all the time.

I had a giggle when I thought of the big hoohaa about major and minor royals. HM Christmas party says it all. Come Christmas they are family and they all participate in that beautiful old tradition of HM's Lunch. That is where they all join together, the people you rely on can talk to, etc, because the family is the only trustworthy company they are going to have for the rest of their lives and that is why Christmas and Easter traditions continue.

Catherine has been married long enough to know the score, but it must be hurtful to be accused of all manner of ugly things and not to fight back, especially when the media keep referring to their children playing together. If they do, the snappers will be crawling through bushes to get photos of the children together to either prove or disprove whatever side the journo is on.

If the kids are playing together, is it either all rubbish or both woman are classy enough to bite the bullet for their children's sake. Perfect media play and no win situation for both unlucky ladies.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that the "upstaging Kate in her royal role" is too ridiculous to even contemplate.

To insinuate a power struggle for a cause that both Rose and Kate share a common interest in and work for, is purely asinine. Its not going to float with me. If anything, she's made a friend that shares a common goal for a cause. It doesn't indicate BFF and "besties" but actually two people sharing a common interest and making a difference.

Just my long winded opinion.

But that isn't what the gossipers are saying now.
They're intimating that there's another more serious reason for the falling-out; google it and you'll see.

They're intimating that there's another more serious reason for the falling-out; google it and you'll see.

What I see is vicious speculation that is presented without a single particle of evidence being presented. It's vile, and since William and Catherine have shown themselves in the past to be perfectly willing to get lawyers involved, the individuals spreading that speculation ought to be very, very careful.

Got a whiff of it, decided it stunk to high heaven and thought it all total nonsense and not worthy of my attention. :D

The gossipers who made Twitter implode during the weekend base their stories on the fabulations of an anonymous account who has previously stated that the moon landing was a hoax... Says it all to me

Trying not to touch that.

I don't normally follow the Cambridges or their "set"...but I read the rather shocking rumor on a non Royal gossip board...so it's gaining traction you might say.:ohmy:

William and Kate hired lawyers and successfully sued for something that had much much less potential for damage to their image and embarrassment than this story.(top less holiday photos)

I don't understand the silence from Kensington Palace..unless lawyers are working quietly behind the scenes..:ermm

Last edited:
I don't normally follow the Cambridges or their "set"...but I read the rather shocking rumor on a non Royal gossip board...so it's gaining traction you might say.:ohmy:

William and Kate hired lawyers and successfully sued for something that had much much less potential for damage to their image and embarrassment than this story.(top less holiday photos)

I don't understand the silence from Kensington Palace..unless lawyers are working quietly behind the scenes..:ermm

I do. These are silly rumors that really do little to slander Kate. If they went after every petty DM story they would need to pay attorneys 24/7 to sue.

They likely would not win. And it would make them look far more petty.

The photos were far worse. Topless photos have a lot more scandal, then some story she had a falling out with a so called bestie. There was nothing to deny, they were out there to see. And for a royal that is a huge scandal.

They won because they won on the bases of an invasion of privacy. Not because of 'rumors' being spread.

Kensington doesn't address this as they don't address most of the rumors. There is no point wasting their breath, wont stop the talking. This isn't a serious enough story to call for them to make an official statement.

It's just like with the Sussexes...it doesn't matter how lacking in evidence of any type ..there is a certain level of people who spread these rumors.

Even if it were true (and I don't think it is) it's no one's business.

LaRae

The 'rumours' are not in the mainstream press but on social media and gossip boards.

The main person tweeting about it has a history of doing this kind of thing.

Russell Myers, a reporter for The Mirror, not exactly a royalist newspaper, tweeted this

"Bizarre rumours. No foundation as far as I understand"

Usually though, when there are these strange sorts of rumors they are more difficult to find. This one is extremely easy to locate.

A Twitter thread by Nicole Cliffe is what set people off. Think about it what you like, but for me personally the word dingbat springs to mind...

Last edited:
Not only is this person a conspiracy theorist she does herself no favours by saying she's a member of 'team Meghan'.

Doesn't exactly bolster your credibility.

Not only is this person a conspiracy theorist she does herself no favours by saying she's a member of 'team Meghan'.

Doesn't exactly bolster your credibility.

Didn't want to get involved, but that is not where this rumour started. It started with Richard Kay's over reaction to an article, and that set tongues wagging and a few people in the Norfolk set tweeting about it. The tweets were deleted, however, not soon enough and people began talking about it. Nicole then picked up on it.

The person who deleted the tweet has nothing to do with Norfolk. Google the name and it's not exactly without twitter controversy.

And here's where it makes me do a double take. The dude who deleted the tweet parties at SoHo House with Meghan and Harry. What a coincidence.

Again does nothing to give credibility to his gossip.

As Pranter pointed out about the Sussexes, social media is full of of gossip.

A couple gossip sites and Nicole Cliffe herself attribute the rumor to a now deleted tweet by food critic Giles Coren. He seems to have a history of creating controversy.

Last edited:
A couple gossip sites and Nicole Cliffe herself attribute the rumor to a now deleted tweet by food critic Giles Coren.

Not only him. There were two other tweets. There are actual screen shots of these, and these a people in the Norfolk set. Again, this all began because Richard Kay went gaga over a stupid write up in the DM about Kate and Rose. No one was paying attention to the original article until he came back 'guns a blazing' in defence and people started to talk.

I'm also really sorry that sordid story has made its way here. It has been doing the rounds for a few weeks now, and like someone else said upthread, I'm surprised KP hasn't shut it down. Then again, the few individuals who tweeted about it deleted their tweets in about a 20 minute time period, and they were British. The tweets that are still up are American, and there in nothing that KP can do about those unless they bring in the heavy guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing to shutdown. I mean if the forum rules have changed that we can now post random twitter gossip the boards will change for the worse.

See how much gossip and rumour is out there about Meghan

There's nothing to shutdown. I mean if the forum rules have changed that we can now post random twitter gossip the boards will change for the worse.

See how much gossip and rumour is out there about Meghan
Isn't the big difference here if we discuss the rumours as facts or if we discuss the controversy the rumours have started? I was trying to do the latter myself.

Last edited:
Isn't the big difference here if we discuss the rumours as facts or if we discuss the controversy the rumours have started? I was doing the latter myself.

Absolutely. My comment wasnt toward any one individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom