The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Courtier

Yes now I remember. Thanks to all for the quick information. :-)

Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Courtier

I recall reading something a few months ago that William had suspected a leak among his circle of friends so he put forth various stories to different friends to see which one would end up 'outside'.

I wonder who got the axe.

LaRae

Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I recall reading something a few months ago that William had suspected a leak among his circle of friends so he put forth various stories to different friends to see which one would end up 'outside'.

I wonder who got the axe.

LaRae
Apparently not Harry Aubrey-Fletcher.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

If ever one would NOT want to be a royal it would be because of this "friend" mess. It is shocking that the mutual friends of Diana and Charles cut Diana off after the divorce--(if this report is true, of course, which one can always doubt). It would be nice if they had some friends from, say, a church social group...some people who were not richly rich and did not go, necessarily, to Eton. But of course this is what the RF has always been, an exclusive social club.
If one were to be royal it would be better to be so in a smaller monarchy, where it might be possible to make friends based on real empathy and merit.

Or is this "friend set" just a made-up pap story? I hope so.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Um, most people have friend who are part of the same social, social-economic circle as them.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
But of course this is what the RF has always been, an exclusive social club.
Well the Royaly Family isn't an exclusive social club. Royals go to the top schools, because a, they can afford to and b, they get in. That is also the case for the "rich kid friends". Therefore, usually, the people you go to school with become their friends and often friends for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
If one were to be royal it would be better to be so in a smaller monarchy, where it might be possible to make friends based on real empathy and merit..
Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well the Royaly Family isn't an exclusive social club. Royals go to the top schools, because a, they can afford to and b, they get in. That is also the case for the "rich kid friends". Therefore, usually, the people you go to school with become their friends and often friends for life.

Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.
The Queen's children didn't go to the "top schools". I think she inherited from her mother the idea that education wasn't all that important. I dont think Gordonstoun is a "top school" in the sense that it has high academic achievement. It is, however, quite pricey.

William and Harry went to Eton - I'm not aware that any other Royals went their previously - but happy to be corrected. I thought that prior to HMQ children, they were mostly educated at home or through military establishments.

EDIT: Gloucesters and Kents went to Eton.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=cepe;1533926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Why would being part of a smaller monarchy mean your friends have more empathy and merit? You're still part of a monarchy and either a Prince of Princess.[/QUOTE

The Queen's children didn't go to the "top schools". I think she inherited from her mother the idea that education wasn't all that important. I dont think Gordonstoun is a "top school" in the sense that it has high academic achievement. It is, however, quite pricey.

William and Harry went to Eton - I'm not aware that any other Royals went their previously - but happy to be corrected. I thought that prior to HMQ children, they were mostly educated at home or through military establishments.
I think Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester went to Eton.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

yes, I edited and corrected. William and Richard of Gloucester also attended. Thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Gordonstoun has more to do with Philip than children going to a top school. Education is important for anyone whether you pay for it or not.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mother definitely didn't think it was very necessary for "gals"

Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Queen Mother definitely didn't think it was very necessary for "gals"
Is that true?

I know HM didn't go to school, but I wouldn't say she was uneducated. She did have tutors and she was taught things - I would expect even more so once it became clear that she would one day become Queen. Margaret, I would suspect, received less of an education because of her status as the spare.

I read in a biography of Mary of Teck that she really stressed the education of her children, and the education of her granddaughter. Her son, the future George VI, however, didn't place much emphasis on it because of how miserable his childhood had been. If that's true then it seems as though the attitude towards education was somewhat cyclical; Victoria wasn't an overly educated person, but Albert was and they stressed the education of their children, which made their Bertie miserable, so his sons weren't all that well educated, and when his heir, George, had children with Mary they stressed education which made their Bertie miserable, so he didn't stress it overly with his daughters.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've always heard that TQM wanted her children to have nothing to do with education and it was Mary of Teck who got them tutors, and wanted them to go to an actual school.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I read that it was Queen Mary herself that took on the education of Elizabeth because she was shocked how little she knew.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Nobility

I believe what was meant was the lack of belief for "formal" education, as opposed to no education at all.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I believe what was meant was the lack of belief for "formal" education, as opposed to no education at all.
Both Elizabeth and Margaret were "home schooled" and to give them the opportunities that most schoolchildren had at that time, there was even a Girl Guide troop established at BP.

I think the reason Philip insisted on Gordonstoun for Charles is not only for its academics, but its rigorous discipline tactics. Charles hated it.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not being negative but frankly upper class girls in the early 1900's (Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) did not have a formal education - they learnt embrodiery, water colours, perhaps music (if talented), French (if talented) and that was deemed sufficient. On the continent, I've read that their education was broader and obviously Mary of Teck would have had such an education. But it is definitely down to her that Elizabeth learnt about being Queen.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Majesty

I think The Queen has received the best education in the world. Her job alone exposed her to some stuff you can't get in a school, I think.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am not being negative but frankly upper class girls in the early 1900's (Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) did not have a formal education - they learnt embrodiery, water colours, perhaps music (if talented), French (if talented) and that was deemed sufficient. On the continent, I've read that their education was broader and obviously Mary of Teck would have had such an education. But it is definitely down to her that Elizabeth learnt about being Queen.
Girls were starting to get more formal educations in the 30's and 40's - or at least more academic work, but the Queen Mother thought that educating a female might make her "fast" and "loose" like Wallis.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...the friends of Catherine and William.