The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the name. I much prefer Charlotte to Alice. It's young, fresh, classy and classic.
And I like Elizabeth and Diana as well :)
I had a little question though, since Elizabeth is both Catherine's and Carole's middle name, is it Cartherine's grandmother name, or something like that? Or just family tradition?

Charlotte is a very tragic name in the BRF. Both Princess Charlotte of Wales and Princess Charlotte of Clarence died before they could become Queen Regent. It's nice to see the name finally revived, it gives me hope that John could be brought back in the future. With such limited name options there's no room for superstitions!

Aren't they actually Mountbatten-Windsors or are they going to use the name Cambridge as a surname?

LaRae

Aren't they actually Mountbatten-Windsors or are they going to use the name Cambridge as a surname?

LaRae

I think they use Cambridge, but that is only a guess. Before he became Duke and was in the services, Will was referred to as Will Wales (his flight suit had Wales on it).

I think they use Cambridge, but that is only a guess. Before he became Duke and was in the services, Will was referred to as Will Wales (his flight suit had Wales on it).

Right, I knew the boys used Wales while in military service (and school I think?) ...I know their name is technically Mountbatten-Windsor (I think Edward's children use this)....I guess we'll find out when George and Charlotte (and any other children) start school.

LaRae

I love the name! Charlotte (could be after her Aunt Pippa, could be after Grandpa Charles - it's a royal name, modern, and VERY pretty)

Elizabeth - Grandma Carole, Great Grandma Her Majesty, her own mother and her Great Great Grandma (the Queen Mum)

Diana- Grandma Diana.

They've honored everyone, given her a lovely name.

PERFECT!

BBrMcKDBbUqVCFeyqAgBADs=

Also, it's appropriate because Charlotte Bronte is the patron saint of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Catherine had two hellacious pregnancies and must be grateful to have had two healthy babies at the finish line.

I agree with you, but the majority seems to have liked it.

I am in 100% in agreement with you. I do not like this name at all. Elizabeth is a nice name, Diana is OK, but not Charlotte.

LaRae

She would have been Lady Charlotte Mountbatten-Windsor if the Queen hadn't amended it so all of William's children are HRH. Now she's Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. Good job, HM.

Beautiful dignified names that will still look well in decades to come.
The little Princess is an exceptionally beautiful baby, by the way! "Many years" to her.

Did the Queen and Philip meet her?

William and Catherine are still in Kensington Palace and not at Anmer Hall.

Charlotte is a beautiful name and a little less common than Diana or Elizabeth, which is nice. I also like that, given the opportunity, Harry will be free to name a daughter Diana. I wish her and her family nothing but health and happiness.

Last edited:
I just realized that she will be sharing a name with her 2nd cousin Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer......!!
Also sharing a name with her second cousin Lady Louise Alice ELIZABETH Mary....

Then there's another (distant) cousin, Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor.

I love CHarlotte Elizabeth Diana; it's perfect.

I remember Crownprincess Victoria did the same.

As far as leaving hospital after giving birth, its custom in Denmark that, if no complications occur, you have to leave the hospital after 2 days with your firstborn, and when you have another child you have to leave after 4 hours.

In Sweden its customary that if all is well you go home after a few hours.
Victoria was just doing what everybody else does.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As for little Charlotte's name, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use Matilda :D Early on, I actually had Matilda Elizabeth Diana on my short list but scrapped it because I didn't think they would include Diana.

Overall, I think the name is nice. It's slightly boring that they went for the one of the most predictable names, but I do think Charlotte is very neat and it suits the family very well (and Charles must be an emotional wreck these days :p). I'm also beyond thrilled that they chose this and not Alice. As for the other names, I think Elizabeth was a given but Diana surprised me a little. I didn't think they were big on honour names but I was clearly proven wrong. I love that they honoured both Charles and Diana and that they managed to indirectly honour the Middleton family as well (I particularly that they continued the C-name + Elizabeth tradition).

Also, it's appropriate because Charlotte Bronte is the patron saint of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Catherine had two hellacious pregnancies and must be grateful to have had two healthy babies at the finish line.

Can you post more info on this Charlotte Bronte patron saint info? Unless it was a joke I don't get. I know Charlotte Bronte may have died because of hyperemesis gravidarum but I wouldn't exactly call her the patron saint of it.

Also, just because Catherine suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum at some point in her pregnancy does not mean she herself considers her pregnancies to have been 'hellacious.'

Last edited:
Sadly, you're right. People will want to see candid shots, and anything 'official' will not satisfy their curiosity. Also, candid shots don't have to be taken by apps alone, because almost everyone has a smart-phone with a digital camera. For the most part, the Cambridges are not making any fuss over the most recent candid shots of their son, so whether we agree or not, they have probably decided to pick their battles. All they can do is hope that there's some human decency left in the world when it comes to letting their kids,grow up with as little press/pap intrusion as possible.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

There is no quoted source on that. I think probably family pictures will be released as they did with George and then we'll see Charlotte at her christening. And that's good! Newborns are 1) not that interesting as they basically eat, sleep, cry and poop and that's about it and 2) aren't prepared for the stress and rigors of crazy media presence. Let the kid be with her parents peacefully, at least until she can hold her head up without help.

Lovely name. I hope they don't call her Lottie. Her name goes well with George and her parents names. All of the names don't flow well in English because the tte makes you stop and then have to take a breath to say the vowel e in Elisabeth. Diana would have flowed better as a second name but I can see why they used Elisabeth second, for Many reasons

You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son

Charlotte - the feminine of Charles - honouring his father.
Elizabeth - honouring his grandmother and great-grandmother
Diana - honouring his mother

George - one of Charles' names - honouring his father and the regnal name of his great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather and thus honouring his grandmother's father and grandfather - it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Kent - so a 2nd cousin of Charles' and someone William will have known all his life
Alexander - feminine of one of Elizabeth's first cousins - so honouring a loved Windsor family member - and a name associated with the Mountbatten's as well through Alexander Battenburg who was the son of Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria, it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Gloucester - so a 2nd cousin of Charles and someone who William has known since birth
Louis - one of William's own names, Philip's uncle and Charles beloved great-uncle - Lord Louis Mountbatten and also a name used by Lord Nicholas Windsor for one of his sons

George, Alexander and Louis as therefore equally in birth order within the extended British Royal Family

For some people there is way too much analysis to see William dishonouring the Windsors with the names when it is easy to see those names in the Windsor family - which is after all William's own family. His surname, if he has one, is Mountbatten-Windsor and his position and the interest in him and his family comes from his relationship to Charles and The Queen.

Charlotte - the feminine of Charles - honouring his father.
Elizabeth - honouring his grandmother and great-grandmother
Diana - honouring his mother

George - one of Charles' names - honouring his father and the regnal name of his great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather and thus honouring his grandmother's father and grandfather - it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Kent - so a 2nd cousin of Charles' and someone William will have known all his life
Alexander - feminine of one of Elizabeth's first cousins - so honouring a loved Windsor family member - and a name associated with the Mountbatten's as well through Alexander Battenburg who was the son of Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria, it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Gloucester - so a 2nd cousin of Charles and someone who William has known since birth
Louis - one of William's own names, Philip's uncle and Charles beloved great-uncle - Lord Louis Mountbatten and also a name used by Lord Nicholas Windsor for one of his sons

George, Alexander and Louis as therefore equally in birth order within the extended British Royal Family

For some people there is way too much analysis to see William dishonouring the Windsors with the names when it is easy to see those names in the Windsor family - which is after all William's own family. His surname, if he has one, is Mountbatten-Windsor and his position and the interest in him and his family comes from his relationship to Charles and The Queen.

Excellent post and I totally agree.

I think the name does an excellent job of honoring both families, and can't imagine how anyone could see it as a slap at either side.

LaRae

The family name is 'Mountbatten-Windsor' for anyone who needs a surname.

HRHs don't.

They use the 'title' of the title holder as a sort of surname to distinguish which branch of the family they are from so

'of York' - Elizabeth until her father became King George VI
'of Edinburgh' - Charles and Anne until their mother became Elizabeth II
'of Wales' - William until he married and Harry at the moment
'of Cambridge' - George and Charlotte
'of York' - Beatrice and Eugenie - probably until they marry when the 'of York will be dropped'
'of Gloucester' - Richard until he succeeded to the Dukedom
'of Kent' - Edward, until he succeeded to the Dukedom, Michael to this day and Alexandra until she married when she dropped the 'of Kent'

George and Charlotte, assuming that things proceed as expected will use the following names:

'of Cambridge'
'of Cornwall and Cambridge' - precedent - the children of George V and Queen Mary from the death of Queen Victoria until 9th November 1901 when George was created Prince of Wales
'of Wales' - assuming William is created Prince of Wales

then they will diverge:

on William's accession George will become HRH The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland HRH The Prince George, Duke of Rothesay. He may be created Prince of Wales by his father and so become HRH The Prince of Wales before becoming HM The King.

Charlotte will become HRH The Princess Charlotte. She may be created 'The Princess Royal' at some stage but not while Princess Anne is alive as there can only be one holder at a time.

Mountbatten-Windsor will only appear with George's grandchildren as his children will be HRHs but any children from sons who are not his eldest child will pass on Mountbatten-Windsor as a usable name.

Harry will also pass on Mountbatten-Windsor through any sons as will James, Viscount Severn if he has sons.

Louise uses Mountbatten-Windsor as she isn't using HRH Princess (and I am not going into that debate here).

:previous:

Wouldn't Harry's children be titled HRH as well? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be offered the titles....although Harry could refuse them.

Wasn't aware of a debate about Louise's titles since (as I understand it) her father declined them similar to what his sister did with her children.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't Harry's children be titled HRH as well? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be offered the titles....although Harry could refuse them.

Wasn't aware of a debate about Louise's titles since (as I understand it) her father declined them similar to what his sister did with her children.

LaRae

If Harry has children born while the queen is reigning, and nothing changes, they'd be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor and then elevated to Prince/Princess when Charles ascends the throne, as grandchildren of the king.

However, that could change- either the queen could choose to make them HRH from birth or Harry could choose not to have them known by princely styles.

Most likely scenario, as he's not even married yet and the queen is almost 90- is that probably, Charles will be king when Harry has kids and they'll be Prince/princess

If Harry has children born while the queen is reigning, and nothing changes, they'd be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor and then elevated to Prince/Princess when Charles ascends the throne, as grandchildren of the king.

However, that could change- either the queen could choose to make them HRH from birth or Harry could choose not to have them known by princely styles.

Most likely scenario, as he's not even married yet and the queen is almost 90- is that probably, Charles will be king when Harry has kids and they'll be Prince/princess

Yeah that's right she is getting up there and he's not even close to settling down.

LaRae

Excellent post and I totally agree.

I think the name does an excellent job of honoring both families, and can't imagine how anyone could see it as a slap at either side.

Because they used no name unique to the current BRF.

The family connections/relations are closer to the Spencers than the RF, especially in the case of George and in the case of Charlotte both Spencers and Middleton connections are closer.

No Arthur, Alice or Mary.

If they had named the children:

George Arthur James
Mary Elizabeth Catherine

How many people would be up in arms even though there are obvious connections in both names to the Spencer family.

If someone does not want to believe something it is up to them

On Saturday there was an earthquake in the State of Michigan that was felt in Chicago. Some Chicagoans do not believe there was an earthquake because they did not feel it.

Infact, I was logging into my computer to see if baby Cambridge had been born when the earthquake hit. It violently shook the room.

Baby Charlotte Elizabeth Diana will always be linked to a 4.2 earthquake.

Last edited:
... I think this is a case of people seeing what they want to see.

Back
Top Bottom