The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kate did what was expected of her - can somebody imagine her in jogging pants and sweater and strained hair, like many 'normal' mothers? Nobody dresses up on that occasion unless you have to. I don't understand the critizm in that regard - on the contrary, I feel sorry for her that she has to please the 'looking good' image again.

With regard to leaving the hospital so early, its not uncommon at all. Obviously Kate is a fit person and she was lucky enough to have a straightforward birth. Many women give birth under similar circumstances, especially when having experienced giving birth before. In other countries, women give birth and go back working in the field.

You raise an interesting point about women not necessarily recognizing abnormal symptoms. I think that is why Catherine stayed in the hospital a little longer with George .

I think she stayed longer because George was born in the afternoon and leaving after a few hours would have made it late at night.

It's possible that as a new mother she felt more comfortable staying at the hospital For a few more hours when George was born.

As I explained I used the term 'nurse' because my sister-in-law is a nurse who had to be qualified as a nurse first before she was allowed to do the extra training required to be a mid-wife. As she is the only person I know who is a mid-wife it seems that I have erroneously assumed that the minimum requirement to be a mid-wife - that of being a registered nurse - has changed since she did her training in the late 1970s.

It seems either the standard has changed since the late 70s or is different in different countries.

The US has both kinds of midwives, although the RN (Bachelor's degree, Master's Degree, Midwife training - in that order)track is the most common and the most known. There IS a less known non-nurse midwife track for education and training that is out there as well. One is a nurse, one is not. BOTH have to pass stringent certification exams.

The week before Kate was due, a superbug outbreak was identified at the same hospital she was scheduled to deliver (St. Mary's). It was in a different wing, and they say it would not have put her at risk, but... I believe she may not have entered the hospital until she was much farther into labor that we may know. And it could very well have been the impetus for her very fast discharge. They definitely didn't want to take ANY chance with the Royal Family. Between the medical team, the probability she had an entirely normal, non-complicated delivery, Kate and William's choice... AND the presence of that superbug, they felt letting her go as early as possible was in everyone's best interest. That's my belief.

Hospital where Kate's due to give birth has superbug outbreak | London - ITV News

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very possible that Kate chose to remain at home for the major part of her labor because she didn't feel she needed to be in the hospital quite yet. With all three of mine, I was up and walking around and going for coffee and sitting in the smoking lounge (yes they allowed that back then) watching TV until the hard labor started which was 1 1/2 hours tops for all three.

Each pregnancy is unique to the woman going through it and there's ins and outs of what Kate went through that we will never know. I'm just happy that after all she went through with the HG, the delivery went smoothly.

"New Idea" has quoted schooldays friend Jessica Hay about how the Duchess filled those hours of early labour at home at Kensington Palace - before attending the hospital for the final stages and birth.

Hot chocolate, Kate Winslets' "A Little Chaos" and one of the Hobbit movies, scrabble, backgammon and chess, and a warm bath.

So QueenJen and Osipi I think you're right - the Duchess' labour was much longer than the short amount of time between admittance to the hospital and the birth of Princess Charlotte.

Jess Hay not really in the Cambridge's circle of trust. People in the circle of trust don't talk to the press. Plus I would think that with your first kid you are going to be on the extra cautious side since you haven't been through it before but with the next one you understand the process more so you know that maybe you don't have to go to the hospital immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Jess Hay not really in the Cambridge's circle of trust. People in the circle of trust don't talk to the press. Plus I would think that with your first kid you are going to be on the extra cautious side since you haven't been through it before but with the next one you understand the process more so you know that maybe you don't have to go to the hospital immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There may have also had midwife at KP monitoring things before they went to hospital.

Back
Top Bottom