The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son
Charlotte - the feminine of Charles - honouring his father.
Elizabeth - honouring his grandmother and great-grandmother
Diana - honouring his mother

George - one of Charles' names - honouring his father and the regnal name of his great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather and thus honouring his grandmother's father and grandfather - it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Kent - so a 2nd cousin of Charles' and someone William will have known all his life
Alexander - feminine of one of Elizabeth's first cousins - so honouring a loved Windsor family member - and a name associated with the Mountbatten's as well through Alexander Battenburg who was the son of Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria, it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Gloucester - so a 2nd cousin of Charles and someone who William has known since birth
Louis - one of William's own names, Philip's uncle and Charles beloved great-uncle - Lord Louis Mountbatten and also a name used by Lord Nicholas Windsor for one of his sons

George, Alexander and Louis as therefore equally in birth order within the extended British Royal Family

For some people there is way too much analysis to see William dishonouring the Windsors with the names when it is easy to see those names in the Windsor family - which is after all William's own family. His surname, if he has one, is Mountbatten-Windsor and his position and the interest in him and his family comes from his relationship to Charles and The Queen.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charlotte - the feminine of Charles - honouring his father.
Elizabeth - honouring his grandmother and great-grandmother
Diana - honouring his mother

George - one of Charles' names - honouring his father and the regnal name of his great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather and thus honouring his grandmother's father and grandfather - it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Kent - so a 2nd cousin of Charles' and someone William will have known all his life
Alexander - feminine of one of Elizabeth's first cousins - so honouring a loved Windsor family member - and a name associated with the Mountbatten's as well through Alexander Battenburg who was the son of Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria, it is also the name of the heir to the Duke of Gloucester - so a 2nd cousin of Charles and someone who William has known since birth
Louis - one of William's own names, Philip's uncle and Charles beloved great-uncle - Lord Louis Mountbatten and also a name used by Lord Nicholas Windsor for one of his sons

George, Alexander and Louis as therefore equally in birth order within the extended British Royal Family

For some people there is way too much analysis to see William dishonouring the Windsors with the names when it is easy to see those names in the Windsor family - which is after all William's own family. His surname, if he has one, is Mountbatten-Windsor and his position and the interest in him and his family comes from his relationship to Charles and The Queen.

Excellent post and I totally agree.

I think the name does an excellent job of honoring both families, and can't imagine how anyone could see it as a slap at either side.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Aren't they actually Mountbatten-Windsors or are they going to use the name Cambridge as a surname?

LaRae
The family name is 'Mountbatten-Windsor' for anyone who needs a surname.

HRHs don't.

They use the 'title' of the title holder as a sort of surname to distinguish which branch of the family they are from so

'of York' - Elizabeth until her father became King George VI
'of Edinburgh' - Charles and Anne until their mother became Elizabeth II
'of Wales' - William until he married and Harry at the moment
'of Cambridge' - George and Charlotte
'of York' - Beatrice and Eugenie - probably until they marry when the 'of York will be dropped'
'of Gloucester' - Richard until he succeeded to the Dukedom
'of Kent' - Edward, until he succeeded to the Dukedom, Michael to this day and Alexandra until she married when she dropped the 'of Kent'

George and Charlotte, assuming that things proceed as expected will use the following names:

'of Cambridge'
'of Cornwall and Cambridge' - precedent - the children of George V and Queen Mary from the death of Queen Victoria until 9th November 1901 when George was created Prince of Wales
'of Wales' - assuming William is created Prince of Wales

then they will diverge:

on William's accession George will become HRH The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland HRH The Prince George, Duke of Rothesay. He may be created Prince of Wales by his father and so become HRH The Prince of Wales before becoming HM The King.

Charlotte will become HRH The Princess Charlotte. She may be created 'The Princess Royal' at some stage but not while Princess Anne is alive as there can only be one holder at a time.

Mountbatten-Windsor will only appear with George's grandchildren as his children will be HRHs but any children from sons who are not his eldest child will pass on Mountbatten-Windsor as a usable name.

Harry will also pass on Mountbatten-Windsor through any sons as will James, Viscount Severn if he has sons.

Louise uses Mountbatten-Windsor as she isn't using HRH Princess (and I am not going into that debate here).
Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't Harry's children be titled HRH as well? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be offered the titles....although Harry could refuse them.

Wasn't aware of a debate about Louise's titles since (as I understand it) her father declined them similar to what his sister did with her children.

LaRae
Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Wouldn't Harry's children be titled HRH as well? I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be offered the titles....although Harry could refuse them.

Wasn't aware of a debate about Louise's titles since (as I understand it) her father declined them similar to what his sister did with her children.

LaRae

If Harry has children born while the queen is reigning, and nothing changes, they'd be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor and then elevated to Prince/Princess when Charles ascends the throne, as grandchildren of the king.

However, that could change- either the queen could choose to make them HRH from birth or Harry could choose not to have them known by princely styles.

Most likely scenario, as he's not even married yet and the queen is almost 90- is that probably, Charles will be king when Harry has kids and they'll be Prince/princess

Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 AM

lovely girl. I hope I have one too.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
If Harry has children born while the queen is reigning, and nothing changes, they'd be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor and then elevated to Prince/Princess when Charles ascends the throne, as grandchildren of the king.

However, that could change- either the queen could choose to make them HRH from birth or Harry could choose not to have them known by princely styles.

Most likely scenario, as he's not even married yet and the queen is almost 90- is that probably, Charles will be king when Harry has kids and they'll be Prince/princess

Yeah that's right she is getting up there and he's not even close to settling down.

LaRae
Old 05-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Excellent post and I totally agree.

I think the name does an excellent job of honoring both families, and can't imagine how anyone could see it as a slap at either side.
Because they used no name unique to the current BRF.

The family connections/relations are closer to the Spencers than the RF, especially in the case of George and in the case of Charlotte both Spencers and Middleton connections are closer.

No Arthur, Alice or Mary.

If they had named the children:

George Arthur James
Mary Elizabeth Catherine

How many people would be up in arms even though there are obvious connections in both names to the Spencer family.

If someone does not want to believe something it is up to them

On Saturday there was an earthquake in the State of Michigan that was felt in Chicago. Some Chicagoans do not believe there was an earthquake because they did not feel it.

Infact, I was logging into my computer to see if baby Cambridge had been born when the earthquake hit. It violently shook the room.

Baby Charlotte Elizabeth Diana will always be linked to a 4.2 earthquake.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

... I think this is a case of people seeing what they want to see.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Once again, if you want to discuss titles, please use the following threads: Questions about British Styles and Titles or Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children.

Further posts discussing ANY title will be deleted without notice.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Because they used no name unique to the current BRF...
Surely this is a joke, right?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Because they used no name unique to the current BRF.
Please identify any name that is 'unique' to the current BRF. I would like to see ONE name that the only holder anywhere in the world is a member of the BRF as only then could it be 'unique'.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

Arthur not in the immediate family of the Spencers or Middleton.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
Can you post more info on this Charlotte Bronte patron saint info? Unless it was a joke I don't get. I know Charlotte Bronte may have died because of hyperemesis gravidarum but I wouldn't exactly call her the patron saint of it.

Also, just because Catherine suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum at some point in her pregnancy does not mean she herself considers her pregnancies to have been 'hellacious.'
I was neither joking nor being serious when I said patron saint. Charlotte Bronte is the unofficial ambassador of the illness. A lot of afflicted women draw strength from her memory, and what pre-modern medicine meant for women. I could have said ambassador but since Charlotte died for her "cause", I promoted her to patron saint. I fully realize that she isn't a Catholic icon, I'm not that clueless. It's similar to Diana fans calling her "The Queen of Hearts", they know she wasn't a Queen, so they aren't joking nor are they being literal. Hope that explanation gives clarity.

Also, Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a hellacious condition. If you have been diagnosed then you've suffered greatly. I never implied that I thought she regretted her pregnancies. I wouldn't be surprised if she went for a third child. But I also won't downplay what she went through. I know the media wants to keep women sweet and passive, thus Hyperemsis Gravidarum magically becomes "acute morning sickness" in news articles. But I'm going to call a spade a spade.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is ridiculous, the names are unique but common.
George-last king of England
Louis-Charles or Williams middle name or both
Alexanxer-apparently used by a Spencer

Charlotte-female version of Charles, is apparently Pippas middle name
Elizabeth-the obvious but is also Catherine's middle name, and apparently her mother's as well.
Diana-his mother
There is no freakin grand Spencer conspiracy; British upper class names are hardly original and are often Recycled.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Arthur not in the immediate family of the Spencers or Middleton.
Why on earth should they have to choose names that don't occur in the Spencer or Middleton families? They're George and Charlotte's families, too. And all three families have many common, traditional English names. I think it silly to rule out a name just because it also occurs on one's mother's side of the family. In fact, I think it's nice when a name connects different sides of a family.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. It could be as simple as Kate having always likied her sister's middle name (I think Philippa Charlotte does sound nice) and William liking the name as well. Elizabeth and Diana have obvious family connections, and considering that William's Grannie is coming up to a very significant anniversary, 63 years on the throne, it would have been pretty remiss not to have included Elizabeth.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.
More than likely they'll do what they did with George. They released a family portrait about a month after he was born and then 2 months later they had the Christening photos. So I imagine we'll get two sets of photos in the next 3 months.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Israeli president gives Princess Charlotte a dress and brooch to mark the royal baby's birth-
Israeli president gives Princess Charlotte a dress and brooch to mark the royal baby's birth - Telegraph

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 AM
Serene Highness

It would be nice to see a family picture of the 5 of them in a month or so, taken at Anmer.
I'd love to get a glimpse of their new house or its garden.