The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Gentry

I think Elizabeth should have been at the end and Diana first I actually think Diana should have been first period

Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Why is that? (Other than the fact that most children are subject to some unkind jokes at some point or another).
Best I don't post those lyrics here, but I'm fairly sure that at some stage during her schooling she'll meet some child who knows the song.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's with first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son
Oh, come on. You're just winding us up at this point, aren't you? We're dealing with a lot of common, traditional English names here. They may be Spencer names, but, with the exception of Diana, they're obviously all names from the royal family's side as well.

Charlotte: traditional name in the British royal family and also a female version of Charles
Elizabeth: no explanation needed, hopefully

George: six kings with that name, including the Queen's father; is also one of Charles's given names
Alexander: male version of Alexandra, a common royal name, and one of the Queen's given names
Louis: Louis Mountbatten, and one of William's given names

(And I think I've probably left out quite a bit with that list).

And yes, her name starts with a C, just like Catherine and Carole . . . and Charles and Camilla.

P.S. Nice job on "calling" Charles Spencer's crowing . . . after he'd already tweeted about it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

The person paying for Anmer Hall, Kensington Palace and the Cambridge upkeep is the Queen and her name should have been first.

I called Charles Spencer crowing before I read about his tweet.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is a lovely name. I hope no one calls her Lottie. Charlotte is lovely. Also, though of the fact that George III and his wife Charlotte were a good combination, so if you want to nitpick, that's whom they are named after.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I love the name Charlotte
It wasn't exactly my fav, but definitely it was among my top 5 guesses, so I'm quite pleased.

All the best for the young family

Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The person paying for Anmer Hall, Kensington Palace and the Cambridge upkeep is the Queen and her name should have been first.

You're absolutely right. In fact, they should've done one better and given George the name Elizabeth, just to make their gratitude clear!

(Also, didn't you say you thought they should've named her Alexandra just a few posts back? Well, at least the lack of logic is consistent.)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Seriously, Are you for real ?

Why oh why some people just can't enjoy the moment ! A new baby is born and yes these names are wonderfully chosen. It shows a level of maturity, understanding and peace in this familly.
Hats off to the Cambridges to show us some class, seems it's desperately needed ...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Majesty

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.....!! is about as perfect as can be. It hits every note, honoring the infant's mother, paternal and maternal grandmothers, great-grandmother and the Prince of Wales to boot! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!! It's very Royal, and I felt a lump in my throat when I saw "Diana" in there because I honestly thought it would never happen.

The Spencers must be ecstatic!

I could not be more thrilled if I'd personally named the baby. Did I mention yet that I just LOVE the name??

ETA: I just realized that she will be sharing a name with her 2nd cousin Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer......!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Very feminine and modern..
I,love it..
Alice is a old name..thankfully she wasn't named Alice...bleh...
Totally agree! I had my fingers crossed...my eyes and my toes too!

I predicted last night that her first or second name would be Elizabeth...as soon as I heard they would not make the formal, public announcement until seeing HM I knew that "Elizabeth" was IN!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Well, not that William or Catherine asked me, but I love the name Charlotte

While I agree it doesn't immeadiately roll off the tongue...Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is a lovely name that honours a LOT of people. I am not really understanding how the name is insulting to the royal family.

Charlotte honours Charles, her grandfather...who must be over the moon...he loves his sons and his grandson but really wanted a girl in the immeadiate family. It also fits the tradition of the first named girl on Catherine's side of the family of being a C name, and it honors Carole, her maternal grandmother.

Elizabeth honours the Queen and the Queen Mother. It is also the name of her aunt, Pippa.

Diana - well, you would have to be living under a rock to know who this name honors. I really thought he would have gone with Frances instead of Diana.

-------------------------------

I couldn't see the first name being Diana or Elizabeth considering how those two names are so identified with well know figures. Charlotte allows the baby to have her own identity, she can set the story for her own life.

I am not feeling Princess Bonnie Charlie...or Lottie for that matter. I am surprised they haven't come up with Princess Char

Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.....!! is about as perfect as can be. It hits every note, honoring the infant's mother, paternal and maternal grandmothers, great-grandmother and the Prince of Wales to boot! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!! It's very Royal, and I felt a lump in my throat when I saw "Diana" in there because I honestly thought it would never happen.

The Spencers must be ecstatic!

I could not be more thrilled if I'd personally named the baby. Did I mention yet that I just LOVE the name??

ETA: I just realized that she will be sharing a name with her 2nd cousin Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer......!!
Also sharing a name with her second cousin Lady Louise Alice ELIZABETH Mary....
Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Courtier

I'm glad they did not use Elizabeth as the first name of a second child. If George's first child is a girl, I think Elizabeth would be great. Elizabeth III will follow George VII. This monarchy has gone on for 1000 years. They think long term in many aspects we don't think twice about. There are only about 4 Monarch Queen names, Anne, Mary (bad idea), Victoria and Elizabeth.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.

Where and who is saying this? It is going to take 3 months for her to be baptized? I am sure there will be a family picture in about a month or less.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Mary is a bad idea? The Queen's grandmother was Queen Mary.

LaRae
Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
it looks like a tradition :)
Carole Elizabeth Goldsmith
Catherine Elizabeth Middleton
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Cambridge

Good point😃
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte is a very tragic name in the BRF. Both Princess Charlotte of Wales and Princess Charlotte of Clarence died before they could become Queen Regent. It's nice to see the name finally revived, it gives me hope that John could be brought back in the future. With such limited name options there's no room for superstitions!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.

Ridiculous!😡
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Courtier

Will there was Queen Charlotte who was a very popular and beloved Queen.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

I think it should have been Charlotte Diana Elizabeth. I think it sounds so much better like that. I told everyone that they would name her Charlotte, since it was so popular a name for her. Everyone like George and that's what little George was name too.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Commoner

I think the name is beautiful. I believe Kate's middle name is Elizabeth so it honors grandma, great grandma and mom. Perfect! George has one of William's middle names and Charlotte had one of Kate's. I think it makes sense and is a beautiful way to honor traditions on both sides while still sounding regal...