The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

For those who wished for originality in names, I give you Apple (Paltrow-Martin) and Moxie Crimefighter (magician Penn Gillette). Or what about Frank Zappa's daughter Moon Unit?

Hmmm. Princess Moon Unit of Cambridge...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

I like the names. I'll be honest, Diana is the one I like the least, but I like the fact it's included. I also don't see why they don't "flow" - it's a mouthful but I think they go quite well together.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
For those who wished for originality in names, I give you Apple (Paltrow-Martin) and Moxie Crimefighter (magician Penn Gillette). Or what about Frank Zappa's daughter Moon Unit?

Zappa's other daughter Diva Thin Muffin also was a low point in celebrity naming history. I like Charlotte. I read somewhere that it is Pippa's middle name and Elizabeth is Carol's so they got pretty much all the women in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The names do not flow. It appears as if William and Catherine did not sound out the name and just selected the names and lumped them together.

The names flow fine. I think you're just unhappy they included Diana.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

They're already out there saying we won't see Charlotte for another three months. I still say that's a mistake on their part but it's their choice.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

I am not surprised by their choice, a good nice name, honouring all close family members.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles Spencer @cspencerbooks · 6h 6 hours ago
Perfect names. My 2-year old Charlotte Diana will be thrilled at cousinly name-sharing. Is at an age where thinks world revolves around her!

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Name meanings can be a bit tricky, because sometimes the origin isn't clear, and sometimes there are multiple translations. Charlotte is the French female diminutive of Charles. Charles comes from the Germanic "Karl", but there are differing theories as to its meaning (some say it means "man," others say it means "army, warrior." Meanings Charlotte that I've seen are "strong and virile" and "vigorous."

Elizabeth comes from the Hebrew "Elisheva" and is most frequently translated as "my God is an oath," though I've seen a number of variations of that

Diana is believed to be derived from an old Indo-European root meaning "heavenly" or "divine."

(These things can obviously get a bit confusing. I find the website behindthename.com to be quite helpful in terms of providing name origins and also name variations. Others members might know of some other good sources, though.)

Very interesting. Thanks a lot
Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the baby will next be seen in the official portrait...As it was for George birth...
Old 05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think we will get a picture of the new family of four in the next couple of weeks then we won't see her again until her christening.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

You do realize there is a difference ebetween unquestionably and ridiculous. Charlotte is a unqie name in the RF and I'm glad they chose unqie. The least liked name is Diana but at least it's at the end.

I think Charlotte is the female version of Charles.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles Spencer @cspencerbooks · 6h 6 hours ago
Perfect names. My 2-year old Charlotte Diana will be thrilled at cousinly name-sharing. Is at an age where thinks world revolves around her!
Charles Spencer crowing. Called it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
personally, I think this is the perfect quintessential English name and very fitting/becoming for a Princess of the British realm. I am very glad they went with something they liked, possibly with a nod to family members, and nothing to "unusual" or "different" or "modern".
I am also very surprise at how the little princess very much resembles her brother the prince, right out of the womb!
Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.
I remember Crownprincess Victoria did the same.
As far as leaving hospital after giving birth, its custom in Denmark that, if no complications occur, you have to leave the hospital after 2 days with your firstborn, and when you have another child you have to leave after 4 hours.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Someone in this thread mentioned "Bonnie Princess Charlie" as a possible news headline, and whoever it was must be psychic, because the front page of the Tuesday's Metro has the headline "A bonnie Princess Charlotte."
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I think we will get a picture of the new family of four in the next couple of weeks then we won't see her again until her christening.
How long did we wait to get the first "official" pictures of George?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

Alexandra Elizabeth Francesca.

Well maybe Harry will show some originality.
I mean no offense, but have you stopped to consider that you're taking this too seriously, and thus are angrier than you need to be over something that ultimately doesn't concern or affect you? The future king is not going to be "original" when naming one of his children. Katie Price can be original. I don't know what kind of name you were expecting William and Catherine to give her, but it wasn't going to be something out of left field or something that would not be suitable for royalty. As for why they chose to name her what they did, so what if they chose the names because they liked them? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? You wouldn't give your kid a name you don't like, would you?

You don't have to like the name Charlotte (I personally don't get what is so objectionable about it), but try and keep this in its proper perspective; two people you don't know and who you will never know gave their daughter a name. That's it. It's not a personal affront.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm. Interesting choice. She'll be the butt of some unkind jokes somewhere along the way during her school years.

But I do like Charlie as a short form. It works for a girly girl as well as a tomboy. Not so keen on Lottie though.

I thought Diana was inevitable and I'm not surprised to see Elizabeth there either. It's a way of honouring all families but giving the child a distinctive name of her own.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles Spencer crowing. Called it.
He's Charlotte's great-uncle and he's happy that she share a similar name to his daughter. Nothing wrong with that.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
The names flow fine. I think you're just unhappy they included Diana.
You are wrong there.

When George was born I congratulated William for honoring his mother by using all Spencer names.

Using the same tactic for the second time, I see this as slap in the face to the royal family.

Charlotte: Pippa's middle name and the Middleton pattern of naming the first daughter's first name starting with C. Also the name of Charles Spencer's daughter and the a variant of his name.
Elizabeth: middle name of Catherine and Carole Middleton.
Diana:

George's name corresponds to Diana's nephews from her siblings in the order her sibling's birth.

George: Sarah's son
Alexander: Jane's son
Louis: Charles' son
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Hmmm. Interesting choice. She'll be the butt of some unkind jokes somewhere along the way during her school years.
Why is that? (Other than the fact that most children are subject to some unkind jokes at some point or another).
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Charlotte, one of my favourite name in all time... and it is a French name too !!! Wonderfull i