The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

Alexandra Elizabeth Francesca.

Well maybe Harry will show some originality.
Why do they need to show originality? Is this some sort of art contest? And why do you assume they're trying to appeal to the masses? All the names they chose are very obviously a nod to close family members - maybe that's what's important to them. She may be a princess, but she's their daughter first and foremost, and it seems family ties are important to them. (I mean a lot of people - not just royals - like to give their children traditional family names, even if they aren't exciting.)

Old 05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
William is too predictable. Now let him deny that they selected this name for no reason other than they liked the names.

So many people knew this would be the name. William trying to appeal to the masses rather than being original.

Do not like the name. Do not care for Charlotte or Diana. Elizabeth was a given.

The only redeeming part of Charlotte is it is a girl's name that has a male nickname. So it is Georgie and Charlie.

Also Catherine continues her family tradition of the C first name with Elizabeth middle name.

I would have preferred a Francesca rather than a Diana and an Alexandra rather than a Charlotte.

There are people who doesn't care about originality. For me it only matters my taste, even if the name is super common or old fashioned. The child will be mine and will have a name that I think it suits her/him and be a name that I'm proud of. The same with William and Catherine, I doubt they named her Charlotte to please the masses, they name her Charlotte because they love the name and because it means a lot to them.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

I like the names and all the meanings to them.
Prince Charles finally got his girl and she is named
after him.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

Charles Spencer is crowing. Charlotte=Charles Spencer. Charles Spencer's daughter Charlotte Diana.

Each child's name should be unique.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
There are people who doesn't care about originality. For me it only matters my taste, even if the name is super common or old fashioned. The child will be mine and will have a name that I think it suits her/him and be a name that I'm proud of. The same with William and Catherine, I doubt they named her Charlotte to please the masses, they name her Charlotte because they love the name and because it means a lot to them.
I quite agree! It's worth remembering that William and Catherine will probably have started thinking of names they like months and months ago - they may have heard what the public think or want, but not on a daily basis as we have discussed here on TRF.

As for the new princess's name - I can only say that, being British, I am pleased that Charlotte has been chosen because it is a rare name in the British Royal Family.

It is no surprise that Elizabeth and Diana were also used, I like the names but I am struggling a little to say all three names at once as they do not flow easily - but that's just me!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Courtier

personally, I think this is the perfect quintessential English name and very fitting/becoming for a Princess of the British realm. I am very glad they went with something they liked, possibly with a nod to family members, and nothing to "unusual" or "different" or "modern".
I am also very surprise at how the little princess very much resembles her brother the prince, right out of the womb!
Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It is no surprise that Elizabeth and Diana were also used, I like the names but I am struggling a little to say all three names at once as they do not flow easily - but that's just me!
The names do not flow. It appears as if William and Catherine did not sound out the name and just selected the names and lumped them together.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

So, the Duke and Duchess didn't pick the names YOU prefer? I just don't understand how they could have been so RUDE. Perhaps you weren't at home when they called or perhaps the name "Francisca" means NOTHING to them. I don't know. Maybe you could give William a call and question him on his choices for HIS child.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

Very thrilled with their choice Charlotte wasn't my fav at first, but the girl looks like a Charlotte (if this makes sense) and she is absolute perfect
Elizabeth was a given, but never expected Diana. Just lovely!!

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbahlina View Post
It is a very cute name. Charlotte means free man, Elizabeth means oath, Diana means divine. .

In which language ?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
Now here is a question that may have been asked already: Does anyone know why the Duchess left the hospital the same day as the birth??? I know she stayed in like 2 or 3 days with George. I was just wondering if it was personal choice or maybe since George was a boy and 3rd in line to the throne, that maybe they wanted to make sure everything was ok health wise before they let him go. Or maybe since Catherine's labor was much longer with him, they wanted her to stay?? I'm just curious. I think only Princess MM for Norway was the only other Princess that I can think of the went to the hosp, delivered, and left the same day. Very unusual.
I think you are not remembering correctly. The Duchess left the hospital within a day after George was born. I believe he was born in the afternoon and she left the following afternoon. She did not stay 2 or 3 days. She was in labor with George for about 10 hours while her labor with Charlotte was less than three hours. The doctor will allow a mother to leave the hospital whenever she wants, as long as there were no complications and as long as both mother and child have had a bowel movement. In America, if you have a baby in the early morning, it's not unusual to be released later that afternoon or, at the very latest, the following morning. There is no need and it is very wasteful to keep a woman in the hospital for days after birth. It's childbirth, not a heart transplant.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden gave birth in the night and left around "midday".
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Courtier

Welcome to the world Princess Charlotte! I love the names they chose!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
In which language ?
Name meanings can be a bit tricky, because sometimes the origin isn't clear, and sometimes there are multiple translations. Charlotte is the French female diminutive of Charles. Charles comes from the Germanic "Karl", but there are differing theories as to its meaning (some say it means "man," others say it means "army, warrior." Meanings Charlotte that I've seen are "strong and virile" and "vigorous."

Elizabeth comes from the Hebrew "Elisheva" and is most frequently translated as "my God is an oath," though I've seen a number of variations of that

Diana is believed to be derived from an old Indo-European root meaning "heavenly" or "divine."

(These things can obviously get a bit confusing. I find the website behindthename.com to be quite helpful in terms of providing name origins and also name variations. Others members might know of some other good sources, though.)
Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I like the names and all the meanings to them.
Prince Charles finally got his girl and she is named
after him.

When I was born, I was my parents' first child and my dad's parents had FIVE grandsons through my dad's sister (three boys) and older brother (two boys), so they could FINALLY shop in the pink section at Sears for the first time in 36 years, since my aforementioned aunt was born in '54. My parents gave me two brothers 3 and 6 years later; with my youngest brother, the last one; my grandpa KNEW it was going to be a boy, even though my mom was only 12 weeks along and the gender wasn't identifiable yet; given that 6 out of his 7 grandchildren at the time were boys.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 05-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Does your alias play any part in your opposition to including Diana as one of Princess Charlotte's name ? BTW, I wonder how the real Camilla feels about it.

Quote:

Francesca is not an English name and would sound odd for a British princess. I don't personally like Charlotte (would have preferred Alice or Victoria), but at least it is the name of George III's queen consort and of a former heir presumptive to the British throne (princess Charlotte of Wales).

Quote:
I believe we can expect more originality from Harry as his children will be further from the throne and, hence, not as bound by royal protocol as William's children. It will depend on his wife though. I still suspect that, unlike William, Harry may end up marrying the daughter of a British peer or even a foreign noble woman who may be quite conservative.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Yesterday I was watching the news and they were speculating that the new princess would be named Charlotte and wondering if Diana would be one of her names. For some reason the name Charlotte Elizabeth Diana occurred to me. I love it!
Old 05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Majesty

I absolutely love her name. So classic and lovely.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the name Charlotte! And when I saw the little princess I knew she got the face of a Charlotte. Charlotte Elizabeth were totally expected but I have to say I was a bit shocked when I read "Diana". I really thought they weren't going to name her with such an important reference. Maybe a more subtle hint would have been better IMO (Like Frances). And what more, I actually thought the queen would have twisted her nose at Diana, but I saw it was not the case. Hope the baby won't gey any further pression.Her first name Charlotte is lovely I wanted Charlotte for her
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Nobility

Who cares if the names "flow"? How often will they be said in one go? At her christening and wedding, that's about it.

Who, outside us royal fans, even remembers what George's middle names are? I'd bet 90% of the British people have no idea - he's just Prince George.