The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Not a fan of the first name, I wanted Victoria or Alice.

Not that it matters

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Was right about two of the three. First name was up for grabs, but I like it. Not sure why so many thought Diana would be a burden.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is an odd combination, and it doesn't sound as regal as, for example, Alice Victoria Mary . They have the right to pick whatever name they like for their daughter though.
That is because of the Diana name, it is a "strange name" in the string of predictable names as Victoria, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Mary, etc. but it would have been surprising when that name was not given, especially since the grandfather has been honoured (Charles), then also the grandmother would have been logic (Diana). In the Spanish media they say "La pequeña Princesa Carlota Isabel Diana de Cambridge" and that sounds surprisingly good....
Old 05-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Courtier

I think people would think of it as a burden for a first name. Lot of baggage for young shoulders .
Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

What a beautiful name and it suits her.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

What a beautiful name. I was so hoping they'd use Charlotte. I'm also really happy they included Diana. It's such a lovely tribute. In fact, I love that they choose names that honors both sides of the family.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Was right about two of the three. First name was up for grabs, but I like it. Not sure why so many thought Diana would be a burden.
As a first name it would have been a burden.

This week I get guests for diner, I will make a Charlotte Russe as dessert. It was created for Princess Charlotte of Wales, now I will make it in honour for Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. (A Charlotte Ruse is a cold dessert with bavaroise set in a mould, lined with sugared biscuits.)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
As a first name it would have been a burden.
Agreed. I cannot imagine what life would have been like for this new princess had she been given her paternal grandmother's first name as her own. This name gives her a chance to forge her own identity.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Royals @britishroyals · 2m 2 minutes ago
William, Kate, George & newly-named Princess Charlotte are staying at Kensington Palace tonight. Meanwhile, the Queen has returned to London

Rosa Monckton @MoncktonR · 2h 2 hours ago
Diana's spirit lives on in her sons, and now her name lives on in her granddaughter.#CharlotteElizabethDiana

Very true and rightfully so!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

Beautiful names. They are both traditional names and meaningful for their family.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Nobility

While the name Elizabeth is a nod to both sides of the family the name Charlotte is a nod to Charles and Pippa but also Carole Middleton because as I read on several name sites , Carole is also a diminutive, feminine form of Charles .
Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That is because of the Diana name, it is a "strange name" in the string of predictable names as Victoria, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Mary, etc. but it would have been surprising when that name was not given, especially since the grandfather has been honoured (Charles), then also the grandmother would have been logic (Diana). In the Spanish media they say "La pequeña Princesa Carlota Isabel Diana de Cambridge" and that sounds surprisingly good....

Carlota Joaquina was the name of the Spanish princess who was married to D. João VI of Portugal and was the mother of the Brazilian emperor (and later king of Portugal) D. Pedro I (IV).

The Brazilian regulars like Cris M and Duchess Caroline might be able to confirm it, but I believe Carlota would be considered a rather ugly name in Brazilian Portuguese these days.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Gentry

Princess royal

I keep reading speculation that Princess Charlotte might be the next princess royal. Possibly, but I think it is a long shot.
Remember that there will not be a new princess royal untill the present Princess Royal passes, and then there might be a gap of a few years before the next one is named. If Anne enjoys the longivity of her mother & grandmother, we could be talking 40 years or more. By that time, George could have a daughter and the honor could easily by pass Charlotte all together. I'm just saying it's not a given.

Ana
Old 05-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Von Cleves View Post
I keep reading speculation that Princess Charlotte might be the next princess royal. Possibly, but I think it is a long shot.
Remember that there will not be a new princess royal untill the present Princess Royal passes, and then there might be a gap of a few years before the next one is named. If Anne enjoys the longivity of her mother & grandmother, we could be talking 40 years or more. By that time, George could have a daughter and the honor could easily by pass Charlotte all together. I'm just saying it's not a given.

Ana

Isn't the eldest living daughter of the monarch normally named the Princess Royal ? William will be king before George and hopefully for a long time after his father and aunt are already no longer with us, so I assume Charlotte will be Princess Royal.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

I didn't expect them to go so 'expected' with the name.
But it's very lovely!

Quote:
This week I get guests for diner, I will make a Charlotte Russe as dessert. It was created for Princess Charlotte of Wales, now I will make it in honour for Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. (A Charlotte Ruse is a cold dessert with bavaroise set in a mould, lined with sugared biscuits.)
Duc et Pair I think you should give us the recipe for that Charlotte Russe dessert
Maybe a good idea for a new thread in the chit chat section of this forum: Royal Recipes?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Courtier

There was a discussion about this on a Facebook page. I will post what I posted on there on here:

History of the Princess Royal Title starting with the Hanoverian:
1 King George 1 daughter Sophia Dorothea was never Princess Royal as by 1714 she was Queen in Prussia Electress of Brandenburg. She died in 1726

2 King George II made his Daughter Princess Anne (born 1709) Princess Royal in 1727 a couple months after his succession. She was 18. She died in 1759. She was the last Princess Royal for almost 30 years.

3 The next Princess Royal was Charlotte The Daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte. She was not given the Title of Princess Royal until she was 22. . She was Princess Royal until she died in 1828.

4 The Next Princess of Royal was Victoria (Vicky) the Daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She was created Princess Royal Two Months after birth and held that tile until her death in 1901.

5 The Next Princess Royal was Louise The Daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, altogether her Aunt died in 1901 she was not created Princess Royal until November 1905 when she was 38. She held that title until 1931

6 King George V made his Daughter Mary Princess Royal in January 1932 (Age 34) nearly a Year of Louise Death. She was Princess Royal until her death in 1965. There would not be another Princess Royal for 22 Years.

7 Princess Anne was created Princess Royal by her Mother in 1987 at age 37.
Only Vicky had the title from birth.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
The bells at Westminster Abbey were rung today to mark the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's second child. The new baby daughter will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge-

Home - ITNSource News

A 41 gun salute was fired at Hyde Park today to mark the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's second child. The newborn baby daughter will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge-
Home - ITNSource News

Look at the crowds in Hyde Park!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Carlota Joaquina was the name of the Spanish princess who was married to D. João VI of Portugal and was the mother of the Brazilian emperor (and later king of Portugal) D. Pedro I (IV).

The Brazilian regulars like Cris M and Duchess Caroline might be able to confirm it, but I believe Carlota would be considered a rather ugly name in Brazilian Portuguese these days.
Carlota is quite dated and not regarded as beautiful name in Brazil, and the lack of popularity of Queen Carlota Joaquina (albeit unfair) does not help. Not even the Imperial Family uses it anymore - I think Emperor Pedro I used as a middle name for one of his daughters.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Courtier

I love the names! Wonderful choices. I felt pretty certain they'd go with one of the "expected" names as a first name, but I thought there was the possibility that they might not give the expected middle names (after all, I think a lot of us had been expecting that George's name would include more "obvious" middle names, like Charles or Philip, but they went with Alexander Louis). Compared to that, Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is much more straightforward with regard to namesakes.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

LOVE the name ...perfect!

LaRae