The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is such a wibe around the name Philip, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if that was it. I think I’ll venture a little guess, that it will be Prince Philip Arthur Michael - and let’s see how far off that will be in the end :)

Haha well, I was right with the middle name - There was something about Arthur that just rang well :)

Maybe there is a very simple reason why they haven't included the names of Mr. Middleton. I know I would have a problem with the names of my father because I really am not font of both of them.

He may not love his name or want it to be passed on. At one point when I was pregnant my husband and I were considering using my mother-in-law's name as a potential girl's name and, thankfully, told her so. She informed us she'd never really liked her name and that she'd be sad if it were continued on for another generation. She asked us to please not honor her that way.

Names are tricky things to settle on for a regular family, and often trickier to sort out as you move past the first son and first daughter. I can only imagine how complicated it must be for royals who know that the whole world will be dissecting their choice...and who give their children more names than many of the rest of us do. Add in the factor that two people they're close to, Zara and Pippa, are also expecting babies whose names will also be highly publicized. There could very well have been calls around the group to ask "what names are you considering? We don't want to make these kids 'name twins!'"

But Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the emblematic figure in the lives of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, would have been a Prince of Battenberg, if the Battenbergs hadn't renounced their German names and titles out of loyalty to King George and the United Kingdom, so it's a name that runs in the family, and which brings memories of someone so dear to William's father and grandfather. I was hoping they would choose this name and I'm really glad they did!

And don't forget that Earl Mountbatten of Burma was the matchmaker between his nephew HRH Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark and the then HRH The Princess Elizabeth

Why all that guess who is named after who? The parents like it. See Sweden: Estelle, Nicholas, Alexander, Gabriel. Ultimately it is what the parents like.

I somehow (partially) agree with. Of course they will consider more for the first child/the heir, but sometimes I think they just pick a typical royal name they like for the younger kid.

Well, the announcement has been made! It is LOUIS ARTHUR CHARLES.

I really didn't expect them to repeat a name that Prince George was already using "Louis". I can't argue with Arthur or Charles as those were expected.

Well, I am surprised by the name of "Louis" as it is already one of Prince George's names. I can't argue against Arthur or Charles because those were expected. I thought for sure they would have included Philip in the name as well???

My prediction back in December was Edward Arthur Philip.
Actual name Louis Arthur Charles. Only one out of three this time around. Now we wait for Prince Harry's kids and start all over.

Ohh, is it too early for predictions on Prince Louis' future title? I see Duke of York in his future.

Personally, i think that's why it took so long for the name to be announced; they had to browse all the pages here first ?

I would never have guessed the names, but i like them (and i like P.Charles getting a mention).

Maybe P.Philip is one of those people who says to his family "i don't care what you do after i'm dead, but while i'm still here, don't name your kids after me" ;)

Prince Philip has been honored a few times before, but not as first name
Prince Charles Philip Arthur George
Prince William Arthur Philip Louis
James Alexander Philip Theo (James, Viscount Severn)

as for the Louis(e):
Prince Edward Antony Richard Louis
Princess Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary (Lady Louise Windsor)

I certainly didn't except this but the name is good. Although they didn'thonor Catherine's parents this time.

Perhaps the next one! Or..maybe they are leaving that for Pippa and James to use.

LaRae

It's definitely possible they're leaving Michael for Pippa to use as, in addition to being the name of Mr. Middleton, Michael was the name of James Matthews' late brother who passed in his early 20s while climbing Mt. Everest.

If Pippa has a boy I'd be unsurprised if his first or middle name was Michael after James' late brother (with placement depending on the couple's taste and whether Spencer Matthews and Vogue Williams use it as a first name for their son).

Yeah! I really like the name Louis. The DoE must be thrilled to see it yet again (George Alexander LOUIS, LOUISE Alice Elizabeth Mary) in the younger generations.

George, Charlotte and Louis. Very sweet. Charlotte and Louis sound almost French together...

I bet the name took so long because they were deciding whether or not to use Louis again. Perhaps that was the top choice for George, but felt pressure to go with George for the future monarch, and used Louis as a middle name. Fast forward to this baby, and they thought they’d use it now.

Well, I am surprised by the name of "Louis" as it is already one of Prince George's names. I can't argue against Arthur or Charles because those were expected. I thought for sure they would have included Philip in the name as well???

Actual name Louis Arthur Charles. Only one out of three this time around. Now we wait for Prince Harry's kids and start all over.

Ohh, is it too early for predictions on Prince Louis' future title? I see Duke of York in his future.

I don't think the Cambridges are done yet either so...we may still see Phillip and/or Michael from them!

Zara might want to use Phillip ...or Harry might!

LaRae

I am afraid i don't think so. HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York was born in 1960, so he is 58 now, i don't think he will have another child (male) so the title will be merge will the crown at some point. When HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge marries probably in his thirties like his father and uncle Harry, the Duke of York will be 88 given the longevity of his father 97 right now, his mother 92 right now, and his grandmother 102 at her death. I think he will be made Duke of Cambridge, the next duke of York will be one of the children of Prince George.

It's definitely possible they're leaving Michael for Pippa to use as, in addition to being the name of Mr. Middleton, Michael was the name of James Matthews' late brother who passed in his early 20s while climbing Mt. Everest.

If Pippa has a boy I'd be unsurprised if his first or middle name was Michael after James' late brother (with placement depending on the couple's taste and whether Spencer Matthews and Vogue Williams use it as a first name for their son).

Ah so I would expect to see that in a boy Pippa has.

LaRae

But Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the emblematic figure in the lives of the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales, would have been a Prince of Battenberg, if the Battenbergs hadn't renounced their German names and titles out of loyalty to King George and the United Kingdom, so it's a name that runs in the family, and which brings memories of someone so dear to William's father and grandfather. I was hoping they would choose this name and I'm really glad they did!
Philip is a Battenberg through his mother so Charles would not have been a Prince of Batterberg. Prince Philip also renounce his royal titles (for different reasons), had he not then his descendants, who include heirs to the British thrones, would be Prince and Princesses of Greece and Denmark.

Definitely surprised at Louis, would have liked to see Philip or Catherine’s father honoured.

Philip is being honored with Louis - a nod to Lord Mountbatten. I can see Philip as a first name with a baby down the line.

I don't think the Cambridges are done yet either so...we may still see Phillip and/or Michael from them!

For some reason I'm sure that is their last baby.

I really think we'll see Baby Cambridge #3's name following the same pattern as those of George and Charlotte, i.e. three names each, first name followed by middle name #1 starting with a vowel and then middle name #2 starting with a consonant.

I have to say that I'm floored that they reused one of George's names and I'm disappointed that there was no nod to Catherine's father/family. But, I'm thrilled to see that they did, in fact, follow the consonant/vowel/consonant pattern that they've followed in the past.

Louis Arthur Charles was most definitely an unexpected choice.

I just searched this Forum. 46 people mentioned Louis in a post before the naming (and some of those mentions came in quotations in replies). Some of you mentioned Louis only to dismiss the name as it had already been used for George.

So well done any of you who picked Louis as one of the names.x :flowers:

We'll just have to disagree on that and wait and see!

LaRae

Told my British grandmother the name this morning (she currently lives in the US). She hated Louis, but I think the reason is because Louie was the family nickname for her older sister Louise, so she sees it as a feminine name.

For some reason I'm sure that is their last baby.

Yes, I feel Louis is their end note as well. However, I also thought Charlotte was their last - so what do I know? I would love to see a sister for Charlotte...

I feel a little weird trying to guess at the future of the poor child's life so early, but...assuming Louis gets a title on marriage, and marries in his early 30s, Andrew has around a one in four chance of still being around based on the current actuarial statistics.

I just searched this Forum. 46 people mentioned Louis in a post before the naming (and some of those mentions came in quotations in replies). Some of you mentioned Louis only to dismiss the name as it had already been used for George.

So well done any of you who picked Louis as one of the names.x :flowers:

I was also one of the one who picked Louis, only because the importance of Lord Louis Mountbatten to Prince Charles is well known and Prince William clearly feels the importance of family history in naming his own children:flowers: An additional plus is that Louis works well in French!:lol:

Not if the current Duke of York is still living or has only recently become deceased when it is time for Louis to get a dukedom.

As for pronunciation, ever heard of Louis Vuitton? there you go, this is how Louis is pronounced.:flowers::flowers::flowers::whistling::whistling::whistling::lol::lol::lol:

LouiE in the French manner.

LaRae

With the baby being named Louis, is there anyone else besides me that can picture George walking around with a puffed out chest adamantly stating "They named my brother after ME!". :D

Back
Top Bottom