The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tired and stressed

I don't recall who claimed that new parents might find it possible not to be tired and stressed, but that is just wrong. Especially if George is being breast-fed. Babies nowadays are fed on demand, not on schedule, and that means frequent waking during the night for quite a few weeks. Additionally, according to many baby experts (and to me, too), there is an occasional day during the first few weeks when the baby nurses very very frequently, and even if you have another pair of hands to change him, wash his clothes, pick him up and bring him to you, that is exhausting. If you've never given birth or nursed an infant, you really can't imagine how tired the mother, in particular, gets.

And stressed- you've just been handed a tiny human for whom you are responsible, and even if he is perfectly healthy and mild-mannered, you are intellectually overwhelmed by the responsibility.

I would imagine that the whole Middleton household enjoyed a few hours when William was out enjoying himself. It takes many years before an in-law becomes so much a part of the family that his/her presence is not slightly discombobulating, even if that person is not a future monarch.
Give the guy a break! I was thrilled when my hubby had to go into the office for a few hours so that my mother and I could have a good old nattering, and he was/is the best husband, father and son-in-law that anyone can imagine.

Yes, who knows what the future may bring? This couple-who have been a couple for the better part of a dozen years-may become estranged, or casually uninterested in their child(ren) or each other, but they've made a seemingly great start under conditions none of us can imagine.

Last edited:
:previous:wonderful comment. I know exactly what you mean, and may I say I too was in a way "relieved" when my husband went to work, then I could could have my mum over and gossip or what have you LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 18m
Royal Central can confirm that official photographs of Prince George will be released 'in the next week or so'.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 15m
Royal officials told us that family photos (not taken by a professional) are only ONE of the options for Prince George photographs.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 14m
Photos will be released through the normal photo agencies and may be tweeted afterwards. Twitter will NOT be primary release method for pics

This is what was said originally, that they were considering family photos as an option. Then some rag abbreviates it and the facts shift and then everyone repeats the error. there are some really rubbish journalists out there

A perfect baby, one who sleeps through the night at three weeks? One whose mother is not tired and stressed?

I want to come live in your world! :flowers:

My nephew was sleeping through the night pretty much as soon as his parents brought him home. He was a great baby for the first couple months until he suddenly began to stop sleeping through the night and started going through a phase where he was freaking out every time he got put down.

...he'd still have hell to pay. Selfish and immature.

That's your experience. William and Catherine seem to have a different view of it though. Given as Catherine is choosing to be on the other side of the country while her husband is working right now I don't think she's too bothered by him playing polo or going on a stag weekend as well.

That's your experience. William and Catherine seem to have a different view of it though. Given as Catherine is choosing to be on the other side of the country while her husband is working right now I don't think she's too bothered by him playing polo or going on a stag weekend as well.

There's an old saying- love is like water- you can hold it in your hand, but if you try to squeeze it too tight, it will slip through your fingers.

Another thing about newborns...

Regardless of whether they are sleeping peacefully or not, you will check on them every few minutes to make sure they are still breathing...Never underestimate the paranoia you will feel when you have a new baby.

Regardless of whether they are sleeping peacefully or not, you will check on them every few minutes to make sure they are still breathing...Never underestimate the paranoia you will feel when you have a new baby.

Truer words have never been written dear LOL. First time parent = major paranoia!!! It's like you read my mind! It reminds of of the film from 1984, "Terms of Endearment", at the very beginning, Shirley MacClaine goes to check on her baby and is convinced the baby is dead because it is not moving or crying. Her husband says "she's just sleeping!" but Shirley is still worried it's crib death so she pinches the baby to make it cry, and then is relieved when the baby starts crying and she says "there, all better" and leaves the room!

Oh, yes!
I have a nine month old girl and when she has been sleeping for a long(er) time, I always check. I can't sleep/do something else if I don't.
And this is my second child.

You are wrong on that. I wouldn't accuse someone of not being certain when you yourself produce false statements. I have a 3 month old niece I look after who has been nappies since the day she was born. Most babies, I have encountered in my years of knowing what a nappy was have not been in a tie up pinned washable one.

Tie up pinned nappies don't exist .... They come with Velcro and have trendy patterns in and washable liners that go inside ... Loads of people use them ... And I'm a nanny and know this stuff...

I believe the party was for one of his best friends, and planned well in advance, so I don't see why it was wrong for him to be there. It's not like he was leaving Kate all alone for days with the baby. As for the party being boozy, I'd question that, too, since he was seen surfing at the do, and I doubt any of them would be crazy enough to down a few and then venture out on surf boards.

Prince William seen surfing at stag do - Telegraph

You did read the story about them 'swigging beers like it was going out of fashion' on the way down to the do New father the Duke of Cambridge 'given permission to attend boozy stag weekend with friends' | Mail Online along with the 'the tables were covered with covered with cans and miniature bottles of gin'.

They were already into the drinking before getting there and yes many men do drink and surf so the fact that they went surfing is not evidence of not boozing - the boozed going down, probably slept overnight, went surfing and then boozed up again at night.

You did read the story about them 'swigging beers like it was going out of fashion' on the way down to the do New father the Duke of Cambridge 'given permission to attend boozy stag weekend with friends' | Mail Online along with the 'the tables were covered with covered with cans and miniature bottles of gin'.

They were already into the drinking before getting there and yes many men do drink and surf so the fact that they went surfing is not evidence of not boozing - the boozed going down, probably slept overnight, went surfing and then boozed up again at night.

Oh The Horror of him attending one of his childhood friends stag weekend. :lol:

I'm glad William went to that stag-party. I would have encouraged him to go as well. Catherine is a smart wife and knows when to give and when to take. This is a modern family, not the 1820, when women were tied to babies and housework, while men were spending their days at work and their evenings in pubs. Good for the Cambridges, smart people.

wow! such a big deal made over nothing! It's not like he abandoned his wife and child!!
Every new parent needs time away at first to keep their sanity!! That's all it is. sheesh!

wow! such a big deal made over nothing! It's not like he abandoned his wife and child!!
Every new parent needs time away at first to keep their sanity!! That's all it is. sheesh!

agreed - not to mention he has been living with his in-laws. I don't care how much you may love your in-laws; living in someone else's home is going to feel stifling to any man. Catherine was probably - yes go - have a nice weekend. when you get back we'll have a few days you go to Anglesey and I will meet you up there and then we can head to Scotland; compromises all around but that is their life. They are a very mobile couple, they have been since they were married. nothing about their life is normal; they seem to be happy and engaged - so good for them.

Kate and her baby are being well looked after at the Middleton's. I don't see why William can't leave them for a weekend to attend one of his best friends' party. And it's not those random boozing club parties that he and kate used to go when they were young. It's a bachelor party that supposedly is a "once in a lifetime" event for his friend. And as what others have mentioned, it must have been planned a long time ago. Kate would have known beforehand and understand why William need to go.

A "once in a lifetime" event? A bachelor party is just an excuse for a booze-up with your mates. The same mates you regularly get together with for a booze-up anyway but this time you have the opportunity to give it a fancy name and try to make it sound important and significant. William hardly "needed" to go to this do. The wedding is the important event that he, and I hope Kate, "need" to go to.

On behalf of all beer swingers, I too drink when starting a trip out with friends when we are not driving. The trip starts the fun, although I find that when I swing my beer, some of it gets spilled, do I prefer to sip mine. I have also learned to bus my own table as the paps are endlessly counting my gin bottles. :lol:

A fellow passenger told The Sun newspaper: 'I walked through the carriage on the way to the buffet car and spotted William with a bunch of chaps swigging beer like it was going out of fashion.
'The tables were covered with cans and miniature bottles of gin and one chap seemed to be wearing gold lamé shorts.'

Above is the quote from the Mail - it does not say that William was boozing or swigging beer. The most accurate description is that he was with people drinking.

It's the Mail, and they exaggerate. Swigging = drinking. Today he was described as "gushing" in hos description of hos son - I saw the video, he made a joke.

Get a grip folks and stop believing the Daily Mail.

I did read it. But the picture of William on the train didn't look like he was drinking, or had even been drinking. I base my opinion on that, rather than something that the Daily Mail (being the Daily Mail) most likely invented, because who do I think called a DM reporter and said that the booze was flowing? No one, I'll bet. He may have had some drinks, but I doubt he was boozing it up. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust the DM's account about William and his friends getting boozy on the train.

Here is the account according to another article.

The royal, 31, looked totally relaxed as he headed to a stag weekend with pals on Friday, in a carriage packed with passengers and luggage...

In his specs and a baseball cap, chilled Wills seemed content to gaze out of the window on the journey from London Paddington to Exeter.

Passenger Alison Holland, 29, said: “He looked very relaxed and happy, like any new dad.

There is nothing in there about him getting boozy. Someone also snapped a photo of him and I don't see any beer or gin bottles around.

"We Could Not Be Happier"

But even if they were drinking on the train, who cares? It's not a sin to have a few drinks with friends.

Last edited:
First off, let me say that I don't really give a darn if Will was at a booze up with the mates or not, or home changing nappies and rubbing Kate's feet or not, but as for the notion that this wasn't a boozy weekend, let's get real. He WAS with Guy Pelly, if we ARE to believe the DM, AND the Telegraph. From all I've read of Mr. Pelly, one does not play Monopoly with him, sip wine and call it an evening. Just sayin'.

And most people who are with people who are drinking heavily also engage in the same behavior. Otherwise it's no fun. I speak from quite a bit of experience here. Not that I care. Will is an adult, he was not driving, he was not called upon to rescue Welsh damsels in distress who find themselves in the Irish Sea, and he can do as he likes. I don't care if he takes the odd weekend off from Georgie duty, but I'd wager quite a bit that he quite a few, and was a little worse for the wear. ;)

One weekend off does not bad dad make. Show me the track record in 6 months or so, and I will give an opinion whether y'all ask for it or not. :p

I suggest everyone re-read this entire thread. Some of the comments are so far out that I can't believe someone made them. Worth a laugh.

I remember reading years ago that one of the mistakes HM and HRH made with Charles was sending him to Gordonstroun. If he had gone to Eton, he would have been associating with his peers and building relationships and friendships for the future. Everytime I see William attending or being in a wedding, or going to a stag, I am reminded of that.

Does anyone ever remember Charles being in a wedding other than his own? I think it's nice that William has a lot of friends and that they and he seem so relaxed while enjoying one another's company. Who wouldn't want to have a lot of friends?

Very true!
Charles admits he loathed Gordonstoun; he was unsure where to send his own sons (although Diana favored Eton) until someone he trusted told him that the friends he made at Eton were his oldest and most cherished life-long friends.

That pushed Charles onto Diana's side (and I expect had quite a bit to do with the sense of rapprochement they were beginning to find towards the end of her life).

Last edited by a moderator:
On boarding schools, why are some people so sure they won't send George? It's kind of part and parcel of being a royal or upper class male and Realistically almost all of his peers and close friends, like Williams and Kates, will be of the public school, polo, society set he will meet at school.

Because a 'close friend' of Kate's who was also right about the pregnancy announcement and other things has said that Kate has said that they don't intend on sending him to boarding school - certainly not aged 8.

I suggest everyone re-read this entire thread. Some of the comments are so far out that I can't believe someone made them. Worth a laugh.

As a parent who encouraged my husband to take breaks and get out of the house when our children were born, I find it funny and yet very sad at the same time that people think William "abandoned" his wife and child. My hubby did the same for me when I wanted breaks. We did that and still do for one reason: we love and care about each other very much.

Exactly. Every tabloid supposedly has 'close friend's and 'inside sources' on call for information. I just like to see where people are getting these 'tru fax'

This is reaching the point where to even suggest anything negative about William is a cardinal sin - sorry but he is a human being and does some not so good things at times, he is in the military which has a track record of heavy drinking not only being accepted but expected - so long as it doesn't interfere with his duty - and thus many officers are binge drinkers, he comes from a generation in the UK where binge drinking is almost accepted behaviour and he has a track record of heavy drinking.

He isn't perfect and to suggest that he went to a stag do and didn't drink is weird as that is the point - give the poor bloke about to marry as boozy a weekend as possible before he settles down to married life and can't do it all the time anymore.

How much William drinks - who knows - but given his background and job probably a lot more than many people here would like to admit. Having had experience of army officers' messes and the drinking that goes on, along with the very negative attitude held towards anyone who didn't drink then I am sure that William does drink and quite heavily at times but he will also go for a week or more without drinking when on duty and on base.

Back
Top Bottom