The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a big fan of the name George. I'd rather Alexander as a 1st name.
Btw I think it means if it was girl she would be Alexandra

I know they said they didn't ask the sex of the baby but my guess is they knew it was going to be a boy and just didn't want to tell the media. So I don't think they'd picked out any girl names and she didn't have a pink dress at the hospital to wear out to meet the media. I also think they'd had the names picked out earlier but just didn't release them to the media until a few days after the birth.

Some peoples on Twitter (and a person on CNN) Are saying that Catherine manages to do what Anne Boleyn and Catherine cf Aragon couldn't do... Produce a Male heir and that they are in heaven say some girls have all the luck. Also someone said that Henry VIII is probably rolling over in his grave because William got a son on his first try.

I didn't know we were living in the muddle ages...Will at least Catherine wont have to worry about getting her head chop off now.

It wouldn't have made any difference if she'd had a girl - they changed the rules that said the boy would have precedence over the girl. Long gone are the days where they thought the female determined the sex of the baby and a woman could be beheaded for failing to produce a male heir. And Kate said that William had said he'd wanted a girl and she'd wanted a boy. Camilla would be closer to Anne Boleyn than Kate would be if they're trying to compare her to them - Catherine of Aragon was the queen who was rejected by the King but popular with the people and Anne was the controversial mistress who married Henry (like the Diana/Camilla dynamic). Kate and William were only married to each other so I'm missing the link between Kate and either Catherine of Aragon or Anne Boleyn.

It's about producing a son nothing more. Anne and Catherine couldn't do it. It's just the media linking current events to historical events.

It's about producing a son nothing more. Anne and Catherine couldn't do it. It's just the media linking current events to historical events.

They are but kind of in a weird way, as if this is the first first born son born to the family since prior to Henry. Or as if Henry's problems were as simple as he preferred to have a son instead of a daughter and was a pig about it. Neither of which is true.

Actually Henry VIII couldn't. It had nothing to do with Anne or Katharine of Aragon. It's not just the retro sexism that made the comment that Catherine was great for producing a boy so stupid- it was also the fundamental misunderstanding of basic biology.

Actually half of Catherine of Aragon's births were sons, and 2/3 of Anne's were sons. The problem wasn't that they couldn't produce sons, it was that the sons didn't survive.

Henry VIII had 11 children. 6 of them were (believed to be) sons, 5 were (believed to be) daughters. One of his daughters by Catherine was a miscarriage, the other stillborn, while one of his sons by Anne was a miscarriage. He also had one unnamed son by Catherine who died within days, and two sons - both named Henry - who died by 2 months. There was a son by Anne, also named Henry, who died soon after birth (if he wasn't stillborn).

This seems to indicate that in all actuality Henry and his brides had no problems conceiving sons, but at some point in fetal development or after birth the sons died. Not necessarily his fault.

It wouldn't have made any difference if she'd had a girl - they changed the rules that said the boy would have precedence over the girl.

Not quite true - the UK has passed the legislation but most of the other realms haven't done so so it hasn't taken effect yet.

Currently the situation is still male primogeniture in the UK and it will remain that way until all 16 realms have passed the legislation in their own ways as required and that is now not necessary so could be sometime before it actually happens.

And he probably had a pink shirt packed too. New parents are prone to that kind of thing.

I know they said they didn't ask the sex of the baby but my guess is they knew it was going to be a boy and just didn't want to tell the media. So I don't think they'd picked out any girl names and she didn't have a pink dress at the hospital to wear out to meet the media. I also think they'd had the names picked out earlier but just didn't release them to the media until a few days after the birth.

its just obvious to me that they knew the gender before the birth and they just didnt want to tell us--that its their privacy and i can understand although i wish they could just be honest about it, saying "we dont want to reveal the gender", instead of telling ppl that they dont know.

that jenny packham dress Kate wore is a bespoke version so i assume the couple knew the gender already as i think that dress was made before the birth. also, the only handwritten part in the birth announcement is the birth time--that says a lot i guess.

Ms Packham could have made two dresses - one blue and one pink.

The birth notice could easily have been typed up months ago - with boy and girl versions.

I bet they new the sex of the child prior to his birth. I bet they also knew what names they would be using!

that jenny packham dress Kate wore is a bespoke version so i assume the couple knew the gender already as i think that dress was made before the birth. also, the only handwritten part in the birth announcement is the birth time--that says a lot i guess.

it's a possibility. normally, (if you choose not to know the gender before) you'd know the gender and the time the baby is born when born. hence, the fact that son is typed and the time is handwritten means that someone has printed the paper before the baby was born, possibly.

yet, the most credible would be to think they had the two versions ready to print and sent the correct one to hospital when william called the queen to tell her if it's a boy or a girl, and the dr completed the form with the hour of birth.

concerning the dress, depending on the relationship that kate has with jenny packam, she may have just told her she wanted a blue dress or two dresses, one in blue and one in pink. we will have to keep our eyes open for a similar summery pink dress on kate in the months to come! :)

also, the only handwritten part in the birth announcement is the birth time--that says a lot i guess.

I think all it says is that printing out two announcements (one for each sex) is easier than printing out 2,880 announcements (one for each sex at each minute of the day).

There was a four hour gap between everyone being told officially someone could have easy printed out the boy sign there was plenty of time. Or they just had one for a girl or a boy ready to go. I think they knew didn't Prince Harry and Eugenie both say it was going to be a boy? Diana knew Harry was a boy and didn't tell anyone she saw it on the sonagram. Catherine and William may off wanted that as their own little secret since they have to share everything else with the public I think it's understandable.

I bet they new the sex of the child prior to his birth. I bet they also knew what names they would be using!

Some parents do not want to know the sex of their babies before birth. I was one of them, for both my children. My father (who is a doctor and was with us at each exam, ultrasound etc.), might have known, but we asked him to never tell us. We would have been happy with either sex, no pressure. And with the Queen changing the succession rules, I think that the Cambridges were not pressured into producing a son, so less need to know the sex of the baby in vitro.

The Queen didn't change the succession rules. The UK government has passed the legislation but the laws haven't changed yet - and who knows how long it will take before the other realms even bother to do anything about it now.

I just don't see any reason to call them liars about it...if they say they didn't know then they didn't know. There are people who don't want to know ahead of time.

LaRae

I just don't see any reason to call them liars about it...if they say they didn't know then they didn't know. There are people who don't want to know ahead of time.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you!

Last edited:
" In the UK, the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 received royal assent on 25 April 2013, having been passed by both Houses of Parliament"
Succession to the British throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This law has to pass in ALL 16 realms in order to be in force in any of them and it hasn't past in the other realms.

Canada itself has an challenge from a number of sources to the way it was past there.

Australia hasn't bothered yet.

Until it has been past by the various parliaments according to their different constitutions is doesn't take effect in any of them.

In fact there are fears that it will never come into effect now Protesters may sabotage law for equal royal rights | Royal | News | Daily Express as it is proving rather harder than first thought.

The law is NOT in effect yet and may not be for years, if at all, but if it does get the royal assent in ALL realms it will be backdated to October 2011 - but until it is passed it doesn't apply anywhere.

Because this is the age of conspiracy theories and some people just can't believe what they've told about something might actually be the truth. That's just too simple a thing to do these days after all. Such as Kate's worn the colour blue more often than any other colour, but that it appears to be both her favourite and best looking colour means nothing, because since she wore blue Tuesday *obviously* means they knew they were having a boy and "lied to us".

Give it a rest.

As for the announcement, if those on the "See...The way "son" is printed instead of written is proof...etc" bother to go to Google and look up William's that it was exactly the same!! Different Mothers obviously, but other than that, the word "son" is, in this case, typed.

So once again...Give it a rest!!

It's also possible that, after they stated they didn't know the sex, they changed their minds and asked the doctor. I see no reason not to take them at their word.

Even if they really knew all along, I can understand why they wouldn't want to share it with the world. George's birth is an important event to Britain, but it is monumental to the couple and their family and friends.

Obviously, we are all interested in the family, but we don't need to know everything.

I don't see how this is a big deal. If they didn't know until he popped out good for them for having a surprise. If they did know and kept it a secret for months good for them and they have a pack of relations around them who will keep the secret.

Back
Top Bottom