The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 41s
Prince George's third name is pronounced Louis and not "Lew-is".

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 41s
Prince George's third name is pronounced Louis and not "Lew-is".

They said on CNN I think that Catherine really liked the name Louis.

Last edited:
George is the name of Quen's father but also Pcs Philip (DoE) grand father, King George I of Greece. It is a double tribute, why not?

Isn't George Alexandrr the name of the son of Jane(Diana's sister)?

No, Jane's son is named Alexander Robert Fellowes. Sarah's son name is George Edmund McCorquodale.

I was hoping for Alexander, but at least it's in there somewhere. I don't really like George, but it's traditional and I'm just happy they announced the name this early on.

Isn't George Alexandrr the name of the son of Jane(Diana's sister)?

George Edmund McCorquodale is the name of Elizabeth's son, while Alexander Robert Fellows is the name of Jane's son. Charles' sons are Louis Frederick John Spencer and Edmund Charles Spencer.

So, really all 3 of Baby C's names are featured in the Spencers.

I really love the name. It's very Royal, very Windsor, and it's a complete departure from all the ugly and bizarre celeb baby names that are popular now. I wonder if they will call him Georgie, or Alex? I also wonder if William will ask one of his Spencer cousins to be among the godparents? I think that would be great.

I was one of the ones grumbling about all the coverage of this child's birth and I still think it was a bit excessive(outside of Britain anyway) but I have to admit that I melted when I caught a glimpse of him yesterday. He is precious.:p I also have a newfound respect for Kate, she looked beautiful after what she went through and it cannot have been easy.

Good job!

As much as we all seem to like the name "Alexander"... there has not been a King Alexander of Great Britain. I do not think the Queen would go for a name outside the box for the expected heir to the throne. Maybe for the 3rd son or for Harry's children she will be more open for something "daring".

There a Princess Estelle of Sweden and now a Prince George of Cambridge. Both are very nice old-fashion and traditional names. At least their named are not something ridiculous like Blue Ivy, Apple or North west! I know parents should be allowed to name their what they want to name them but seriously let get real! Those are names kids will have for the rest of their lives.

Kudos to The Crown Princess Victoria and Duchess Catherine for not going all Hollywood on us ( which obviously they weren't going to) and showing how to name a child. And picking something that make since even if it seem old fashion.

Meet GEORGE as the late JFK Junior said after launching his new magazine.
Another famous George; GEORGE WASHINGTON US PRESIDENT

Prince GEORGE after the Queen's father King George VI (but was he not in fact ALBERT)?

So no middle names of Philip, Charles, Michael or John :

Prince Charles,
Michael Middleton
Prince Philip
John, Earl Spencer (Diana's father).

No uncle's names

Prince Henry
James Middleton.

Louis after Earl Mountbatten.

Not sure where Alexander comes from?

I do think that William and Catherine have chosen the names just like any other parents might do. The Queen (i.e. the great-grandmother) will not have influenced their choice, nor made suggestions and would therefore not have had a say in the choice of names. Like other new parents, they have chosen names they like, are suitable and have some kind of family connection. The only difference here is that they will have been conscious to have chosen a suitable first name for a future king.
Alexander is said to have been a favourite choice of Catherine's and they both like the name Louis.

More than anything, I like the look of the name in print. George Alexander Louis -- it looks quite elegant to me.

Please PLEASE somebody educate our American news readers to pronounce Louis correctly. The local guy here in Los Angeles said "Lew-is" right off the bat. :bang:

ETA: Oh, and I love that they used only three names. Keeping it fresh!

Good, strong names. Not crazy about Louis. Alexander is also a tribute to the Queen, who is Alexandra herself. And I loooove George!!! HRH Prince George.

Well, CNN seems to get the Prince's name right though.

I read that Alexander is a favourite name of Catherine's and it is also the name of her friend, Trini Foyles, young son.

Gee, according to the Express, Camilla was wearing a string of pears around her neck :D

House of Hanover Family Tree

King George I, II, III, IV

House of Windsor Family Tree

King George V, VII

I think their choice was limited.

James (I never envisioned a King JAMES) too Scottish
King ALEXANDER - doesn't sound right.
King LOUIS (too French).
King RICHARD (not after the Richard III tragedy).

So there was only really HENRY, EDWARD, or FREDERICK left.

Had to smile @ the pictures of the Cambridges leaving KP - Catherine had her hair pulled back into a ponytail, bet Prince George has already found how delightful it is to pull on mama's long hair.

Good strong regal and dignified names.
St George = patron saint of England :)

UKPrinceWilliamArmsupdated2013.png
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
UKCambridgeDuchess300x215-1.png
. .
. . . . . . . . .

Arms of the TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

The Birth of
HRH Prince George Alexander Louis .
of Cambridge

22. July 2013

:royalstandard: . . . . . . . . :crown5: . . . . . . . . :royalstandard:

I like the coat of arms. But what do they mean?

Back
Top Bottom