The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given as she and William were both in blue, I wonder what William would have worn had it been a girl...

The exact same thing went through my mind :D

I wouldn't have minded seeing William in a pink shirt to be honest.

I think that's why he reached out and took the baby from her. They're probably just trying to get her in the car and get her home where she can rest comfortably and privately with her new baby.

I thought they were just doing the same thing Diana and Charles did 31 years ago? Only the other way around. Back then Charles carried William out and handed him over to Diana afterwards. I thought it was so lovely having both of the parents carry the little bub, and I kinda would've wished that our Mary and Frederik would have done the same thing with theirs (granted, switching the twins midways would have been too difficult).

Last edited:
Congrats to William and Catherine. Their son is beautiful. Although I was hoping for a future queen of Canada....I'm thrilled their son arrived safely and it was wonderful to see them gazing so lovingly at him.

Unfortunately the first thing that came to mind, was not polk a dots. There are a lot of people who bashed Kate, for wearing blue for her engagement, as a copy of Diana. I can imagine they will re-appeare now, with comments on how she was copying Diana again, with polk-a-dots.

I know some people were thinking that TRH knew the sex of their baby before he was born, but their clothing reminded me of when I was pregnant and I was preparing my hospital bag. Everyone was sure I was having a girl -- old wives' tales of how I carried, etc. -- but I was drawn to blue. We didn't find out the sex, and even if we'd wanted to, my son was very uncooperative in utero. I didn't notice it until I was going through my bag the day I was being discharged, but my nightgowns, slippers, pillows, everything was some shade of baby blue! I even wore home a baby blue sweater set and blue jeans! Sometimes you just know, I guess...

The exact same thing went through my mind :D

I wouldn't have minded seeing William in a pink shirt to be honest.

I thought they were just doing the same thing Diana and Charles did 31 years ago? Only the other way around. Back then Charles carried William out and handed him over to Diana afterwards. I thought it was so lovely having both of the parents carry the little bub, and I kinda would've wished that our Mary and Frederik would have done the same thing with theirs (granted, switching the twins midways would have been too difficult).

I think both Charles and William carried the babies down the stairs because going downstairs with a little bundle in your arms can be a little daunting even two days after giving birth--especially if you are wearing high heels.

Unfortunately the first thing that came to mind, was not polk a dots. There are a lot of people who bashed Kate, for wearing blue for her engagement, as a copy of Diana. I can imagine they will re-appeare now, with comments on how she was copying Diana again, with polk-a-dots.

I've seen a lot of comments and articles about the fact that they both wore dresses with polka dots, but I don't see it being perceived as a negative thing, just perhaps a nod to tradition/continuity.

I think both Charles and William carried the babies down the stairs because going downstairs with a little bundle in your arms can be a little daunting even two days after giving birth--especially if you are wearing high heels.

To the best of my recollection, William didn't carry the little one down the stairs, Catherine did.

I've seen a lot of comments and articles about the fact that they both wore dresses with polka dots, but I don't see it being perceived as a negative thing, just perhaps a nod to tradition/continuity.

I agree. I think we've also seen that Catherine likes polka dots, so there is that. Should she avoid wearing something because the fabric - not the outfit itself - is of a similar style/pattern/whatever to something her late mother-in-law wore?

I'm pretty sure Catherine carried him down the stairs and William took him as they began answering questions.

I haven't seen this as a negative thing, either.

Could a normal person be adopted into the royal

Family

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I assume a person in the royal family could adopt a child, but I don't think the adopted child would be able to inherit a royal title.

Baroness of Books said:
I love the baby's fingerplay; it looks like he's blowing an imaginary trumpet.

That's a cute photo of Baby Cambridge, I like his hand actions too. I enjoyed looking at all the photos, William and Catherine looked proud of their new son and from the comments they made, the family seems to be delighted with him.

I know I'm a bit late, but congratulations to William and Catherine on the birth of their little prince! :britflag: :baby:

Last edited:
Amen, HRH Prince William and HRH Princess Kate having so cute Baby! God Bless this new family!

I am sorry, but my dear anchor(whoever said that on whichever TV), Kate WILL NOT follow Diana's example.
NO.She will not parade her kids in front of media as a bait to get attention.
NO.She will not make her barely-teenage son her "rock" and confuse and torment him with all her emotional frustrations.
NO.She will not endanger her son's future prospects just to malign her husband's family.
NO.She doesnt believe you can prove to be a "great" mom only by making the dad look worse.
Kate just simply cant do that.Because, afterall, Kate is level-headed and mentally stable.

Whatever it "implies"/"is intended", the boy will simply grow up with two grandfather and two grandmother figures..Charles and Michael, Carole and Camilla.. Just like all other kids..

Well said!

I agree. I think we've also seen that Catherine likes polka dots, so there is that. Should she avoid wearing something because the fabric - not the outfit itself - is of a similar style/pattern/whatever to something her late mother-in-law wore?

Look at the articles since the wedding, about how she has copied Diana. And go on other forums, like royaldish, and you will find I am sure people who say she is trying to be Diana 2.0

She could have chosen something other then polk-a-dots, considering the backlash she has got in some media, for copying Diana.

The Duchess actually looked a bit emotional for a few minutes. Almost close to tears. Probably a mixture of exhaustion from the birth, and the excitement of the crowds, and having to share their baby boy to the world for the first time. They handled it all very well I think.

I thought so too. I hope the poor dear is tucked up into bed with the baby and having a nice rest now. And is able to spend some time in her nightdress and have a good cry when needed. I was SO emotional those first few weeks after my daughter was born. And I can't imagine having to face the world right after giving birth. :eek:

Look at the articles since the wedding, about how she has copied Diana. And go on other forums, like royaldish, and you will find I am sure people who say she is trying to be Diana 2.0

She could have chosen something other then polk-a-dots, considering the backlash she has got in some media, for copying Diana.

I shouldn't think it even entered her head. Polka-dots are "in" - she has worn then before (b/w outfit).

I would really like the Diana comparisons to lay off for at least one day (but know that it will never happen - pity).

Vkrish I agree with your post 100%

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I assume a person in the royal family could adopt a child, but I don't think the adopted child would be able to inherit a royal title.

I'm not entirely sure if an adopted child can (or cannot) use courtesy titles in the British system. My understanding is that on the continent - in at least some houses - they can. I do believe that British children born out of wedlock but retroactively legitimized can use courtesy titles, but they are not eligible to inherit.

I suspect adoption would be the same. If William and Catherine had adopted a child then he/she would likely be styled as a prince(ss), but he/she wouldn't be in the line of succession to the throne or eligible to inherit William's dukedom. If the adopted child isn't actually allowed to be styled as a prince(ss) under the 1917 LPs, I wouldn't be surprised if HM (or Charles at a later point) issued LPs to grant the child the HRH.

There is also the possibility that an adopted child, on his or her marriage, may be given a dukedom or an earldom. It was once fairly common for the recognized illegitimate sons of kings to be given titles. William IV (who I believe was the last monarch to recognize illegitimate children) have his eldest son an Earldom and allowed his other children to be styled as the children of a Duke (which he was when they were born).

Had the dress been green with a big White bow and full on 1980's maternity style, I might have fleetingly wondered if Catherine were copying Diana. But the dress was blue, short, modern and wearable after pregnancy, so I cannot begin to imagine how a comparison can be made. Polka dots? A rather popular design available anywhere any time.
Do we honestly think for one moment that Catherine pours over old photos of her husband's mother in order to emulate her? Give the woman credit!

People saying she's copying Diana is not the same as her copying Diana.

Personally I don't think she's trying to copy Diana at all. She likes polka dots. We already knew this - she's worn polka dots before, even during her pregnancy. I doubt at this point she really cares about the many comparisons she gets to Diana or the accusations that she's copying Diana. She's been getting it for long enough at this point, and likely she will always get such a comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future people critique her behaviour as Queen consort by saying "Diana wouldn't have done that."

Catherine is her own woman. The comparison to Diana is one that people are making not because of Catherine herself but because the public (as a whole) is obsessed with making comparisons between Diana and her sons/daughter-in-law.

I really saw how overjoyed they were. It was so sweet, I even teared up a little ;)

I don't see any big similarities between both dresses. Maybe she did pick up 2 or 3 outfits but in the end this one was the most appropriate and comfortable?

Don't get me wrong, but I was suprised how big belly she has. I mean through her pregnancy her belly was rather small and we (well, I) haven't seen any new pics of Kate since June (the last official engagement). Her bellly really got bigger these last weeks. What is funny I thought her face is less rounded than it was during her pregnancy ;). I'd love to see some picture of Kate at the end of her pregnancy, with cute big bump.

She always looks good, even a day after giving birth. Good for her!

Btw, this whole royal baby thing got me thinking about getting pregnant myself... Well, I have names already picked up... ;)

Last edited:
People saying she's copying Diana is not the same as her copying Diana.

Personally I don't think she's trying to copy Diana at all. She likes polka dots. We already knew this - she's worn polka dots before, even during her pregnancy. I doubt at this point she really cares about the many comparisons she gets to Diana or the accusations that she's copying Diana. She's been getting it for long enough at this point, and likely she will always get such a comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future people critique her behaviour as Queen consort by saying "Diana wouldn't have done that."

Catherine is her own woman. The comparison to Diana is one that people are making not because of Catherine herself but because the public (as a whole) is obsessed with making comparisons between Diana and her sons/daughter-in-law.

A very good point!

I have no idea if the polka-dots were a nod to Diana's dress or not - it really doesn't matter. On such an occasion, a nod to some family history would be sweet. I think Kate is quite clearly her own woman. I don't see the occasional comparison between Diana and Kate as being a terribly negative thing (comparisons between generations are bound to happen anyway - I know I've seen plenty of Charles vs. William comparisons today!), though I know some have an unfortunate obsession with it.

I hope she puts off a nanny for a good long time, although I suspect she will have to have one.

LaRae

I think the polka dots thing is reaching, but it sure looks like the blanket they're holding the new baby in is pretty much identical to the blanket that baby William was wrapped in when he left the hospital. Does St. Mary's provide identical blankets for newborns, or did they use William's baby blanket/one just like it on purpose?

Had the dress been green with a big White bow and full on 1980's maternity style, I might have fleetingly wondered if Catherine were copying Diana. But the dress was blue, short, modern and wearable after pregnancy, so I cannot begin to imagine how a comparison can be made. Polka dots? A rather popular design available anywhere any time.
Do we honestly think for one moment that Catherine pours over old photos of her husband's mother in order to emulate her? Give the woman credit!

Already started. And look at comparisons before, Kate wore a brown coat so did Diana, Kate wore a red coat so did Diana.......

No I don't, but there are many people who call her Diana 2.0 or a wannabe, IAMDiana, and so on.

Kate takes style inspiration from Diana - Independent.ie

Kate 'copies Diana' in spotty dress

pre-baby:

Princess Diana and Kate Middleton’s similar styles - MSN Living

Kate Middleton vs Princess Diana: Who is more stylish? - MyDaily UK

I don't see any big similarities between both dresses. Maybe she did pick up 2 or 3 outfits but in the end this one was the most appropriate and comfortable?

Indeed, she likely had a few options - depending on what would fit, what the weather might be, what the baby's gender would be, etc.

It would be neat if it was the same blanket used for William...kinda like using the same baptismal gowns etc.

I don't know why people care if she wears polka dots as some sort of nod to Diana...she's wearing her ring at the request of husband. Can't imagine he'd have a problem with anything she does as a tribute to his mother who cannot be there.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom