The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I haven't heard about 4 days on and off, but according to Penny Junor, he's part of a team that does eight 24-hr shifts a month (3 days on and 3-4 off - which is used for rest or to catch up on other training).
Quote:
'They tend to group them in three watches, so three lots of three, or two of three, and that will be twenty-four hours on, twenty-four hours off, so it lasts for a short week, then a gap for three or four days to have a rest, concentrate on your other work, do your helicopter training - training flights continue where you practise with the mountain rescue teams - and then you go back on watch for three days.'
I agree that it's healthy for both parents to keep in touch with family/friends and get time off from the baby. I'm sure when Kate's up to it, she will leave the baby with William and take some time to spend it with friends, shopping or whatever. As for family, I don't see her losing touch with them. It's obvious they are extremely close since she has been staying with them since the birth.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

A 24 hour shift is a 24 hour shift - not done ovre 3 - 4 days but 1 full day and on call for all 24 hours.

That is not what I have read. I have read it is 4 days at a time where he is on call 24/7, along with the others on the team and when not actually asleep they do on the job training, carry out missions when required, do maintenance and then do the administration. At the end of those four days it is four days off to leave the base and do his own thing.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

William on the train

The Prince of rails: Relaxed Wills boards train on way to stag | The Sun |News

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
A 24 hour shift is a 24 hour shift...
Understand the same as you, which is why I don't think he's gone back yet. And if he is drinking then he won't be back until prob. Tuesday.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I might be reading the quote from his team member wrong, but from what I understand, it's 24 hours on duty and then then they have 24 hours off to sleep or do other work, then it's another 24 hours on call. Even though they get 24 hours off, they are still technically on duty, so they stay on base all 3 days. Then they get 3-4 days off to rest.

If you can find a source for the 4 days on/4 days off, I'd love to read it.

ETA: I don't want to take this thread off topic, so I posted an article about William's shifts in his RAF thread.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think some of the royal correspondents and mentioned that Catherine will be starting up her official engagements soon.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Teaser! We have to subscribe to the newspaper to read the rest of the juicy article! I read he went back to work this week, so maybe it's his weekend off.
There is the belief that he has a 4 on /4 off schedule. That is, he is on for 4x24 hours then off for the same time. This has matched pretty well in the past with his appearances, with an extra day off on the front or the back end for royal stuff. I would guess his fellows helped him out a bit in those cases and that command approved.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Courtier

Shouldn´t a official picture be realeased 2 weeks after they left hospital?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think some of the royal correspondents and mentioned that Catherine will be starting up her official engagements soon.
I would be very surprised if she started doing engagements soon. When did they say she would start?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it was said that she would be announcing some new engagements within weeks and not months as first thought.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Did you read through to the end..."Kate is supposed to be joining him on the island in four weeks’ time." That may not be true, but until now the line has been that he is just serving out days in Royal Valley and they would never stay together with baby at the Angelsey rental again. Interesting.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

He is due to leave end of September?

I think that it's possible for her to be there for the last few weeks as they must be packing up. Perhaps having some temporary help whilst they are still there would be a good idea. He can show the baby to his colleagues, can say good-bye and they come back to KP.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Courtier

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...-Prince-George

Philip to meet George within Days.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to head to Balmoral with son George and are expected to arrive “within days rather than weeks”.

For the first time in more than a century, three heirs to the throne are alive and the 87-year-old Queen is expected to pose for photographs with son Prince Charles, 64, grandson Prince William, 31 and great grandson Prince George, nearly three weeks old.

The last such picture was of Queen Victoria in 1894 with her son, grandson and great grandson: Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII respectively.

The black and white photo was taken at White Lodge in Richmond Park at Prince Edward’s christening.

George is likely to be christened at the end of the summer but the world is clamouring for official pictures and Balmoral seems the likely venue.

Philip is due to arrive tomorrow after an engagement in Edinburgh. A royal source said: “It’s the obvious photograph that everyone wants to see and it will be of major historical importance as well as an emotional family picture. Prince Philip is also keen to see George so William and Kate are expected soon.”
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

Why do all my posts keep disappearing? There's at least two missing so far today.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Why do all my posts keep disappearing? There's at least two missing so far today.
There have been similar discussions on more than one thread. I think you also posted on Staff of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - there were discussions about nannies on there.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
There have been similar discussions on more than one thread. I think you also posted on Staff of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - there were discussions about nannies on there.
Oh, OK - thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

the DOE is doing an engagement already? Cant wait to see 4 generations photo!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate Middleton to choose Prince George family pictures as official portraits instead of formal photoshoot:
Kate Middleton to choose Prince George family pictures as official portraits instead of formal photoshoot - Mirror Online

"The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge are planning to use their own photographs with new born Prince George as official portraits."

"In another twist, the baby portraits are expected to be revealed in a tweet from Kensington Palace early next week."

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
the DOE is doing an engagement already? Cant wait to see 4 generations photo!!!

Why surprised?

We were told he would take 2 months to recuperate and that was 8 weeks ago.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Im just glad that the DoE is doing well and that he will get to see his great grandson. What a fantastic moment that will be and I cant wait to see an official portrait.