The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate the British media using the term spare, I think it's disgusting and an insult, it's one of the problems with having children be defined from birth. For generations the first child has been the good one, Elizabeth Charles William and the second the bad one Margaret Andrew Harry. Why not define them on their personalities and accomplishments, not birth order. You'd think England especially would recognize that second borne can be just as important than first borns taking into account the recent succession history.

You'd think England especially would recognize that second borne can be just as important than first borns taking into account the recent succession history.

But that is the whole point of being the spare, you get to step in should the need arise.

The heir and the spare is not the way the whole "good one and bad one" started up. In fact, if anything the "good one and bad one" is in fact based on personalities. Harry is not "the bad one" because he is the second child, he's "the bad one" because he does things like dressing up in a Nazi uniform, playing strip whatever in Vegas, and so on. He has a more rambunctious personality than his brother, who tends to play things a bit safer, and that's why he's gathered the reputation that he has, while William has his own reputation.

Similar can be said of Charles and Andrew (and even Edward), although being the spare never pushed Anne into being the bad one even though she was second to her elder brother for the first 10 years of her life.

Being the spare also didn't make George VI the bad one, his brother - the heir - filled that role. George V was also a spare and filled the good role - his elder brother was and remains rather notorious. Edward VII was also a problem prince, despite being an heir.

It could be argued that the heirs receive different treatment within the family and a part of the reason why the "good ones" are increasingly the heir is because they're put under pressure to be so by their family, while the younger children aren't and have more opportunity to rebel, as seen in Harry, Andrew, and Margaret. But a good amount of it is also to do with their personality.

Also, for the record, it is inaccurate to refer to the UK (as a whole) as England. It is much bigger than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I for one would like to continue the discussion of that sweet little Prince who this thread is about and not about what someone said that someone else was offended by. And I for one find it quite stimulating reading what all of my fellow forum members have to say whether in jest or not. That is what makes these forums so bloody interesting. What a dull world it would be with nothing but seriousness and boredom. I applaud all of you who make these forums lively and worth being a part of. Princess, you do have the option to ignore us all but, oh what wonderful conversation you would be missing out on. Thats all, moving on. :)

"Proud parents immortalised in sand with little Prince," that is until it rains and washes the sand away. :lol::lol:

Can you imagine William and Kate making a baby book of all of the wonderful ways little Georgie's birth has been celebrated? By the time the wee one is a year old, the scrapbook would be ginormous!

To Ish: I stated plainly that the English media should cease disregarding the second born as less important because of the recent history o succession issues. That history includes George VI and His brother; no need to point out what I already know about discrepancies in the heir/spare debacle and the good brother vs bad brother stereotypes.
The idea that for the entire life of a person you would label them a spare in essence making it obvious you aren't as important as your older sibling is cruel and insulting. It's not funny in the least IMO and shows disrespect for the second born, especially for Harry who I believe was referred to this from a very young age.

I don't get the fuss. He is the second born, he is the spare heir to the throne. It's the truth. I doubt Henry gives two hoots what they call him.

:previous: I agree. Besides I get the distinct impression that the more children William and Kate have - and the further away from the throne Harry gets - the happier Harry will be.

As much as I'd love to see the Little Prince (of Cambridge), I rather like the mental picture of Catherine, William, & George all 'cocooned' in together at the Middleton's home just loving and getting to know him, and each other as parents. As precious as all our children are to us (heirs and 'spares') there is just something about that first baby and 'husband' and 'wife' being transformed into 'Daddy' and 'Mummy'. A very precious time, indeed.

Ok, that being said, just one little picture, please? LOL

I think if Prince George is already moving on to enjoying life, won't he need his own thread? (Babyhood of Prince George? Current events?) Or will he end up having his events posted on his birth thread - or the current events of his parents?

...I rather like the mental picture of Catherine, William, & George all 'cocooned' in together at the Middleton's home just loving and getting to know him, and each other as parents.
I agree. The idea of them living in a more or less normal way, among the Middletons (where Kate especially appears to be very happy and I'm guessing Prince William also feels "at home") is lovely.

When Prince William's paternity leave is over, do you suppose we will see a picture of the family as he goes back to work? (Probably not). Sigh.

I think if Prince George is already moving on to enjoying life, won't he need his own thread?
Prince George will be doing very little that's independent of his parents for some time yet. Once they've moved back to London the Cambridge Family current events thread will suffice.

Wow, this thread got personal and nasty rather quickly. I've taken out over 20 posts, the subject of which was other members. A good indication that some people are spending far too much time in a thread where there is virtually no news of substance and so end up turning on each other. Obviously boredom breeds contempt. If those who were involved had stepped back for a minute and read through what had been posted, they would (or should) have realised how ridiculous, ugly and unnecessary it had become. In a baby thread at that!

The air of joy and goodwill that we experienced and shared just over two weeks ago hasn't lasted long.
This should be the last thread the Moderators have to keep an eye on, or threaten to temporarily close, because some members have lost their sense of civility.

Warren
British Forums moderator

...When Prince William's paternity leave is over, do you suppose we will see a picture of the family as he goes back to work? (Probably not). Sigh.
Unfortunately, I think the next pictures we see will be the traditional Christening pictures. So, we're all going to have to wait until at least October when HM returns from Balmoral. That's a looonnggg wait, but I'll wait patiently because I'd rather do that than encourage the paps to peer over the Middleton hedges trying to sneak a snap.

Wasn't there to be some kind of official photos or a photo-op supposed to be happening before William returned to base? Should be about time for it if there is one.

Yes - I have heard there is to be photo or two released this week before William returns to Wales but then there won't be anything released until the baptism and then maybe a photo at Christmas (but he won't be at the Christmas service of course). Then maybe a first birthday shoot etc etc.

Wasn't there to be some kind of official photos or a photo-op supposed to be happening before William returned to base? Should be about time for it if there is one.

Yes, there was. I actually expected to see them today, as it's apparently William's first shift back at RAF Valley today. Clarence House did say there would be Official Pictures released in "a couple of weeks..." Since CH was the source of that, I don't think they'd say/release that if it wasn't so. We just need to be patient.

Especially for that Four Generations portrait we all want to see. So special a thing that is for any Family. We did that very thing when my Great Nephew Parker paid his First visit here last Summer, but sadly my Great Aunt Gladys wasn't able to make it up. She's the last living sibling of my Maternal Grandparents, so if she been there, it would have been an even more cherished picture, as that would have been Five Generations. I told Lisa we've got to figure out something next time, because it really is one of those special rare things for a Family and it would be such a shame if she didn't get it taken somehow.

Just as I'm sure William and Kate have been doing the past two weeks w/their Families. Not to mention those special pics that were taken...Welll...Just because. :). However...I do wonder if any were taken to mark the first time lil George got either Daddy or Gramdpa Michael during a diaper change when the lil guy did a "Gotcha!!" To them. ;) :D

I really hope that someone gets this boy interested in cricket - just saw one of the best T20 games ever. ~Over 400 runs scored and my team won by 1 run. Superb. Cricket needs a royal supporter.

I think the time most likely for the generational photo with HM, Charles, William and George will be when the wee one is christened. We don't know when or where yet but I'm willing to lay bets on that it'll be in the Music Room at BP.

Another thing to look forward to. :)

Noooo!!! And why on earth did Charles appear on a soap opera? If I hadn't seen the pic I wouldn't have believed it.

Prince George to appear in Coronation Street? Royal baby may follow in footsteps of grandfather Prince Charles as he is offered a cameo role in the soap
Show bosses want the royal baby to open the new Salford set
Historic birth has yet to be mentioned on the Manchester soap opera
Prince Charles appeared in the soap's 40th anniversary episode in 2000

Read more: Royal baby Prince George has been offered a cameo role in Coronation Street | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

...why on earth did Charles appear on a soap opera?
Coronation Street is not a mere soap opera. It is a national institution.
The Queen and Prince Phillip have visited the set.
The Queen would watch it with the late Queen Mother.

The Queen: Why I love Coronation Street | UK | News | Daily Express
8 March 2007

The Queen: Why I love Coronation Street

THE Queen took a stroll down memory lane yesterday when she met one of the all-time stars of her family’s favourite soap opera. Her Majesty, who used to love finding time in her busy schedule to watch Coronation Street with the Queen Mother, presented actor Johnny Briggs with an MBE for his services to drama after 30 years playing dodgy businessman Mike Baldwin. Presenting the honour to the 71-year-old actor, who retired from the soap last year, she fondly recalled visiting the set of the show in Manchester in 1982.

It was one of many royal associations with the programme, which featured a cameo performance from Prince Charles in December 2000 to mark the show’s 40th anniversary when he described it as “wonderful institution in this country”. His decision to overrule his advisers and take part in the programme may well have been inspired by his wife Camilla. She is an avid fan of the soap and watched his performance on fictional Weatherfield’s cobbled streets while the couple stayed with the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire for the weekend.

In October 2005 the Queen and Prince Philip met the cast at a dinner to celebrate the 50th anniversary of ITB. They also took part in the first royal visit to the Weatherfield studios in 1982.

Cricket needs a royal supporter.

Absotively, our national game deserves [indeed demands] to be supported at the highest level !

I really hope that someone gets this boy interested in cricket - just saw one of the best T20 games ever. ~Over 400 runs scored and my team won by 1 run. Superb. Cricket needs a royal supporter.

I agree. :D And I'd like him to support test cricket, too. Royal support might generate more interest.

Coronation Street is not a mere soap opera. It is a national institution.
The Queen and Prince Phillip have visited the set.
The Queen would watch it with the late Queen Mother.

Just to eliminate any confusion for some, it should also be noted that a soap opera in the British context is quite different from the soap operas we have (or used to have) in the US - and Corrie is kind of in a league of its own.

I agree. :D And I'd like him to support test cricket, too. Royal support might generate more interest.

Unless of course it was a test between England and Australia in which case you would not want him to support either side or to congratulate the victors if Australia lost the test. Probably it would be ok to congratulate the victors if Australia won the test though.

I didn't realise there were cricket supporters on here. If you can see a video of tonights match watch it - a classic. Hampshire vs LAncashire T20 quarter finals.

Agree 100%. T20 is like chequers/draughts. But Test Cricket is like chess.

Back
Top Bottom