The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Aristocracy

This child will reign most likely no earlier than in 60-65 years. Maybe George will become super popular again and King George won't sound old-fashioned.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Not that they asked me....can't imagine why not!...but I really don't like the name George. I know William and Kate bow to tradition, and perhaps it is honoring the Queen's father, but it just seems too old fashioned for this modern couple. Maybe they plan to call him Alex.
I preferred Alexander too, but surely if they were planning on calling him Alexander they would have said their preference. They did that with Harry didn't they? I like Alexander and would have liked Edward and Sophie to call James it instead, but I was pleased it was one of his middle names too.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

George is one of Charles's names: Charles Philip Arthur George.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I think Prince Alexander does sound a bit more modern, but Prince George is nice and is a name that is not in use. I knew they wouldn't call him James as that's too close to little Viscount Severn.
I too did not expect James as he also has an Uncle James.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

Hm, what will be his nickname then? Georgie???
BYe Bine
Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
This child will reign most likely no earlier than in 60-65 years. Maybe George will become super popular again and King George won't sound old-fashioned.
The name George is already popular for young boys in England and Wales. It's been in the top twenty since at least 1996 (#12 in 2011).
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Not that they asked me....can't imagine why not!...but I really don't like the name George. I know William and Kate bow to tradition, and perhaps it is honoring the Queen's father, but it just seems too old fashioned for this modern couple. Maybe they plan to call him Alex.
The announcement said that he will be known as "The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge," so I don't think they'll be calling him anything else (aside from some perhaps some pet names within the family).
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen View Post
The name George is already popular for young boys in England and Wales. It's been in the top twenty since at least 1996 (#12 in 2011).
Interesting! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen View Post
Yep, and it was #6 last year.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 41s
Prince George's third name is pronounced Louis and not "Lew-is".

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

Yep. And it was #6 last year.
The 2012 data hasn't been released yet.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/...les/index.html
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 41s
Prince George's third name is pronounced Louis and not "Lew-is".
They said on CNN I think that Catherine really liked the name Louis.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

George is the name of Quen's father but also Pcs Philip (DoE) grand father, King George I of Greece. It is a double tribute, why not?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 1m
Sources say Prince Philip is currently 'convelescing' at Sandringham - hasn't seen Prince George yet.

Royal baby name announced as George Alexander Louis by Prince William and Kate Middleton:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...george-2086338

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't George Alexandrr the name of the son of Jane(Diana's sister)?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
No, Jane's son is named Alexander Robert Fellowes. Sarah's son name is George Edmund McCorquodale.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM

I was hoping for Alexander, but at least it's in there somewhere. I don't really like George, but it's traditional and I'm just happy they announced the name this early on.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
George Edmund McCorquodale is the name of Elizabeth's son, while Alexander Robert Fellows is the name of Jane's son. Charles' sons are Louis Frederick John Spencer and Edmund Charles Spencer.

So, really all 3 of Baby C's names are featured in the Spencers.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Majesty

I really love the name. It's very Royal, very Windsor, and it's a complete departure from all the ugly and bizarre celeb baby names that are popular now. I wonder if they will call him Georgie, or Alex? I also wonder if William will ask one of his Spencer cousins to be among the godparents? I think that would be great.

I was one of the ones grumbling about all the coverage of this child's birth and I still think it was a bit excessive(outside of Britain anyway) but I have to admit that I melted when I caught a glimpse of him yesterday. He is precious. I also have a newfound respect for Kate, she looked beautiful after what she went through and it cannot have been easy.

Good job!