The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The family have now left to stay with Catherine's parents for the Summer. Which is great for the Middletons. I do hope Charles will not feel too left out. But I don't see how that can be helped. I think by end of next week Charles will have left for Scotland. The Royal Family will not return to London until mid-October.

Not fond of George, but I do love Alexander. :)

More than anything, I like the look of the name in print. George Alexander Louis -- it looks quite elegant to me.

Please PLEASE somebody educate our American news readers to pronounce Louis correctly. The local guy here in Los Angeles said "Lew-is" right off the bat. :bang:

ETA: Oh, and I love that they used only three names. Keeping it fresh!

Many of us know the proper way to pronounce various 'foreign' names. Then again there are many who have put their own twist on them as well.

It drives me crazy to see the mispronunciation of the names of French settlements (originally) here that are now towns/cities. A short list from around here:

Versailles
Bois d' Arc
St Louis
Ponce de Leon

It makes me cringe when I hear someone say 'Ver-sail-es', 'Boyzdark', St Lewis, Poncy etc etc. If you try to point it out some people think you are being snooty.

It's been done so long the wrong way they are not going to change it.

LaRae

That crush of reporters and cameras as seen on the 360-degree panorama looks daunting, overwhelming - well done, Catherine, for getting through those moments.

I wonder how long the media is going to stake out the Middletons.....

LaRae

I like the coat of arms. But what do they mean?

William's arms are the arms of the monarch with a label to distinguish it as his.

The arms represent England (1 and 4), Scotland (2), and Ireland (3). The label is a 3 point label with a red escallop, which references Diana's arms. Harry's is similar, but his is a 5 point label with 3 red escallops in alternate points.

Catherine's is the arms of William (left)'s impaled with the arms of her father (right). The Middleton arms have acorns denoting Berkshire, 3 to mark each of the family's children, a gold chevron as an allusion to Carole's maiden name, Goldsmith, to white chevrons to symbolize peaks and mountains because of the family's love for the Lake District and skiing. The two colours (blue and red) is a cantinf of "Middle-ton."

Both arms are crowned with a coroner of the child of the heir apparent, but William's also has the royal helm (denoting that he is the heir of the heir).

I would predict that when George gets his own arms it will be like William's (perhaps with a 5-point label, depending on who is monarch at the time) with acorns on the label.

There a Princess Estelle of Sweden and now a Prince George of Cambridge. Both are very nice old-fashion and traditional names. At least their named are not something ridiculous like Blue Ivy, Apple or North west! I know parents should be allowed to name their what they want to name them but seriously let get real! Those are names kids will have for the rest of their lives.

Kudos to The Crown Princess Victoria and Duchess Catherine for not going all Hollywood on us ( which obviously they weren't going to) and showing how to name a child. And picking something that make since even if it seem old fashion.

Actress Alicia Silverstone gave birth to a most gorgeous baby boy and named him...Bear Blu. :eek:I will never understand it, never.

One of the great things about Royal children(at least those in the Succession) is that they get names that are both beautiful and traditional.

Not surprised by George, though hoping for Philip.

Really surprised the two grandfathers and Philip were not included at all in the name, and by the short name. I know Louis Mountbattan was close to Charles, and Philip's Uncle, but William had no relationship as the man died before he was born. It made sense for Charles to use Louis in William, but I'd have thought Philip more fitting.

Again surprised by only three names, boys in the family always seem to have four.

But the name sounds good together. I kind of hope they call him Alex though growing up, George still seems old to me.

They plan to have more children so I would imagine they will incorporate other names in if they have boys or use the feminine versions if they have girls.

LaRae

There used to be an old tradition of a baby receiving a further name at baptism. I am not sure if that is done with the Church of England, but perhaps he'd gain a forth?

I know Pranter, but seems odd, especially with a first son, not to include any of the grandparents. William has Philip. Charles has George, for his grandfather's regnal name. James, Louise and Bea, as the first children or first child of their gender in James' case, have a grandparent's name. The Queen has the names of her grandmother and great-grandmother.

Last edited:
Actress Alicia Silverstone gave birth to a most gorgeous baby boy and named him...Bear Blu. :eek:I will never understand it, never.

One of the great things about Royal children(at least those in the Succession) is that they get names that are both beautiful and traditional.

The thing is that it's pretty much tradition now for celebrities to pick weird names. I think if celebs all of a sudden started picking nice normal names for their children, we'd be almost as disappointed as we would be if William and Catherine had named their baby after a fruit.

At least half the point of celebrities is gawping at all the weird stuff they do.

The thing is that it's pretty much tradition now for celebrities to pick weird names. I think if celebs all of a sudden started picking nice normal names for their children, we'd be almost as disappointed as we would be if William and Catherine had named their baby after a fruit.

At least half the point of celebrities is gawping at all the weird stuff they do.

All is fine, but I have to question the responsibility of a parent who names his child after a fruit or a cardinal point. :ohmy:

I think celebs come up with those crazy baby names because they think it's fun, unique and because they can do what they want but I really don't think they take into consideration that these babies won't remain small, cute and adorable forever. At some point down the line, these babies will get older, become working professionals and will most likely become senior citizens.

Not pleasant to the ear and embarrassing to be referred to as 87 year old Pepper Mill or Apple Turnover or what have you.

Okay, so now we know the name.

The next act must be the christening.

Are there any particular BRF traditions?
When can we expect the christening to take place?
Is it likely we will see foreign royals as godparents?

- As you can tell I haven't done any research, relying instead on the many members in the know here. :)

All is fine, but I have to question the responsibility of a parent who names his child after a fruit or a cardinal point. :ohmy:

Well, on a personal level I definitely prefer "George Alexander Louis" to "North West", don't get me wrong. But if a kid's going to get teased, they're going to get teased whether they have a weird name or not. Plus as a society we're being forced to get used to new naming trends all the time. It wasn't too long ago that names like "Madison" and "Jayden" would have been considered super-weird, and now they're on top-10 lists and we don't really bat an eye.

On the unfortunately very large spectrum of horrible or irresponsible things people do to their children, weird names barely register for me unless they're actively offensive.

To avoid verging off-topic: the baby will be christened George Alexander Louis, and as far as I know no extra names will be picked up. Countessmeout, you may be thinking of a confirmation name, which is a name that kids in the Roman Catholic church choose for themselves before their confirmation, to reflect the saint they've chosen as sort of their personal patron. Nobody really goes by that name, though.

I think celebs come up with those crazy baby names because they think it's fun, unique and because they can do what they want but I really don't think they take into consideration that these babies won't remain small, cute and adorable forever. At some point down the line, these babies will get older, become working professionals and will most likely become senior citizens.

Not pleasant to the ear and embarrassing to be referred to as 87 year old Pepper Mill or Apple Turnover or what have you.

Well said. Most of those idiot celebrities have no consideration for the child. They use weird names for attention or shock value. Kind of like spitting in the face od traditionalists.

Okay, so now we know the name.

The next act must be the christening.

Are there any particular BRF traditions?
When can we expect the christening to take place?
Is it likely we will see foreign royals as godparents?

- As you can tell I haven't done any research, relying instead on the many members in the know here. :)

The tradition with the BRF is a private christening - no live coverage - and some photos and maybe some video coverage released to the press afterwards.

They have been done in different rooms in BP or at Windsor at St Georges.

As this is a future king the Archbishop of Canterbury and he will be baptised with water from the River Jordan and wear the new family Christening gown first used by James, Viscount Severn, as the one used before that was deemed too delicate for further use and a replica was made for James (the original was first used for Queen Victoria's daughter in 1840 and all BRF members have worn it ever since until James).

This, traditionally, hasn't been the big productions that the Scandinavian royals go in for - compare the weddings on the continent to William's as the BRF didn't go in for all the fanfare and insisted that the reception and speeches for instance were private events.

As for godparents being foreign royals - probably not - although a Greek royal is a possibility - live in London and quite close friends to the BRF and William is godfather to one of their children so a reciprication is possible. I would expect Harry and Pippa along with some close friends and maybe a cousin or two - Peter and one of Kate's cousins for balace.

Well, on a personal level I definitely prefer "George Alexander Louis" to "North West", don't get me wrong. But if a kid's going to get teased, they're going to get teased whether they have a weird name or not. Plus as a society we're being forced to get used to new naming trends all the time. It wasn't too long ago that names like "Madison" and "Jayden" would have been considered super-weird, and now they're on top-10 lists and we don't really bat an eye.

On the unfortunately very large spectrum of horrible or irresponsible things people do to their children, weird names barely register for me unless they're actively offensive.

To avoid verging off-topic: the baby will be christened George Alexander Louis, and as far as I know no extra names will be picked up. Countessmeout, you may be thinking of a confirmation name, which is a name that kids in the Roman Catholic church choose for themselves before their confirmation, to reflect the saint they've chosen as sort of their personal patron. Nobody really goes by that name, though.

No, there used to be a tradition of baptismal names as well. But I think just the catholic church, though the church of England referred to as the catholic church of England for a long time and shares many customs. Now a days, the birth name it seems is commonly used as both.

I am not a big fan of any of the names although Prince George does sound quite good overall. I just think there are nicer names out there but I'm sure I will start to like it more and more as time goes by

At the time of the transfer of the titles do the incomes go with the titles?

LaRae

Only two titles have incomes - Cornwall and Lancaster - and they do go automatically with the titles.

When Charles becomes King he will get the income from the Duchy of Lancaster and William will get the income of the Duchy of Cornwall, from which he will have to support his family, including this young prince and and further children and grandchildren just as Charles supports William, Kate, George and Harry now.

When William becomes King he will get Lancaster and George will get Cornwall.

Harry will be supported by Charles, William and George for the rest of his life, as welll as the fortune he inherited from his mother.

I like George as there is a strong tradition of the name and a nod to the last holder of the title Duke of Cambridge who started life as HRH Prince George of Cambridge as well.

I was surprised that they couldn't find room for Philip in there but maybe they are saving that for a second child - either boy or girl - Phillipa/Philip.

Only two titles have incomes - Cornwall and Lancaster - and they do go automatically with the titles.

When Charles becomes King he will get the income from the Duchy of Lancaster and William will get the income of the Duchy of Cornwall, from which he will have to support his family, including this young prince and and further children and grandchildren just as Charles supports William, Kate, George and Harry now.

Harry will be supported by Charles, William and George for the rest of his life, as welll as the fortune he inherited from his mother.

I know William and Harry have their own money from their mother, are their expenses so much that Charles still needs to support them?

LaRae

What happens to the money from Cornwall when there is no Duke?

If Charles dies before the Queen there is no new Duke. Is William able to use the funds, or do they revert to the crown?

Thank you for a very informative reply. :)

The tradition with the BRF is a private christening - no live coverage - and some photos and maybe some video coverage released to the press afterwards.

They have been done in different rooms in BP or at Windsor at St Georges.

As this is a future king the Archbishop of Canterbury and he will be baptised with water from the River Jordan and wear the new family Christening gown first used by James, Viscount Severn, as the one used before that was deemed too delicate for further use and a replica was made for James (the original was first used for Queen Victoria's daughter in 1840 and all BRF members have worn it ever since until James).

This, traditionally, hasn't been the big productions that the Scandinavian royals go in for - compare the weddings on the continent to William's as the BRF didn't go in for all the fanfare and insisted that the reception and speeches for instance were private events.

As for godparents being foreign royals - probably not - although a Greek royal is a possibility - live in London and quite close friends to the BRF and William is godfather to one of their children so a reciprication is possible. I would expect Harry and Pippa along with some close friends and maybe a cousin or two - Peter and one of Kate's cousins for balace.

I know William and Harry have their own money from their mother, are their expenses so much that Charles still needs to support them?

LaRae

I believe Charles funds their royal lives, while the money from Diana is used for more private means.

I see so who's paying for the upgrades at KP?

LaRae

You are exactly right. There is also a "Look at me! Look at my kid!" factor in all of it too, i'm convinced.

Celebs have not always tried to express themselves through their children by giving them bizarre, headline making names. It ties in with the overall Culture of Narcissism that we are all a part of, unfortunately.

What happens to the money from Cornwall when there is no Duke?

If Charles dies before the Queen there is no new Duke. Is William able to use the funds, or do they revert to the crown?

When the last time this happened the money went to the government not to the monarch - so the Crown as in the Treasury.

When Elizabeth and Philip married there was an arrangement made about the money going to her but the Civil List to the King being reduced by the amount going to Elizabeth.

We won't have that problem in future as the intention with the change in the succession laws is that the income will always go to the heir/heiress apparent to the throne.

I see so who's paying for the upgrades at KP?

LaRae

Combination of The BRF and the government - as KP is a government owned building not a private one the structural upgrade e.g. removal of the asbestos, will be paid for by the government but the decorations etc will be funded by the family - as happened with the refurbishment of the St James' Palace apartment used by Beatrice and Eugenie - decoration funded by Andrew but structural stuff by govenment as it is a government owned building.

No doubt when the upgrade has to be done to BP after the Queen passes e.g. hasn't been rewired since the 1940s, the government will fund some of that (through things like the Sovereign Grant which is to cover a lot of these expenses) and maybe an extra one off payment to bring it up to 21st century standards, but decoration of private apartments will be privately funded.

Back
Top Bottom