The Birth of HRH Prince George of Cambridge: July 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course she is tired! I don't even understand what is the need to leave a hospital so soon. As for photos, yes we got some. Cute little baby. That's all I can say now. But most new mothers are shining with happiness, all babies are cute (even they are not really beautiful)

There may be something to be said for going back to the tradition of having the baby at home (or at the palace). There may have been less pressure on Catherine, and they would have had more control over the information given to the media--they might not have told us for days :). I am still amazed that they were able to avoid pictures when they checked in.

The majority of that noise from the crowd came from people in the hospital behind and above the media pen.

I'll take your word for it. But even if they were patients, it was still inconsiderate. There were probably other patients who needed to rest.

There may be something to be said for going back to the tradition of having the baby at home (or at the palace). There may have been less pressure on Catherine, and they would have had more control over the information given to the media--they might not have told us for days :). I am still amazed that they were able to avoid pictures when they checked in.

I donno, I think they managed things really well.

Regardless of where the child is born I think it would be inappropriate for the birth of a royal to not be announced day of (or the next morning). That they were able to get into the hospital without any pictures, they controlled when the birth was announced, and when the child was presented to the media. They had really good control over everything.

The one advantage that a palace birth would have is that it would potentially be less disruptive to other patients at the hospital, however it's entirely possible that without a pre-announced place of birth the press would just camp out in front of more hospitals and/or palaces.

Very nice photo op and very generous of the parents to walk and answer questions. Most of all I was happy to see William drive his family home!

Well, maybe Diana was a bit younger and stronger, but in fact Kate gave birth to this wonderful baby boy just a day ago and I admire her strength and she looked very pretty and relaxed.

Yes indeed! People seem to forget that Diana was a full decade younger than Catherine is now when she had William. But on the whole I think Catherine and William look surprisingly relaxed and very happy with their new little family.

I doubt they'd ever go for a Palace birth. There's a reason the rate of successful childbirths has gone up so dramatically in the last century, and that reason is modern medicine. Even the easiest childbirth can go wrong very quickly, and unless they feel like setting up a proper trauma center in the Palace I can't imagine they'd risk it.

Last edited:
I am so happy to come home from work to pics and seeing the baby released. He is so cute from what I see, and the couple look so happy. Love Will's hair comment.

I am still overwhelmed with happiness! They both looked so happy and thrilled, it was so beautiful! I'm not embarrassed to admit I cried! Lol. William was just such a proud Papa and Catherine looked amazing, in my opinion. And the little prince, from what I seem of him, looked lovely and healthy. I can't wait to hear the little prince's name. Congrats to both the Duke and Duchess. I wish them all the luck and happiness in the world with their new little guy. I'm sure he will bring so much joy into their lives as it was already shown that he has already in just that five minutes we saw. So happy for all three of them, the Royal Family and the Middleton's.

The more I see of William & Kate, the more I admire how they handle these big events in their personal lives in the glare of the public eye.
I really hope they are allowed to bring up baby without too much intrusion.

Just catching up on the television coverage. Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it is curious that the word "son" was typed on the official notice outside Buckingham Palace with only the time filled in by hand. Perhaps they did know the gender all along? Not that I blame them in any way. We knew the gender if both our children and pretended we did not.

Just catching up on the television coverage. Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it is curious that the word "son" was typed on the official notice outside Buckingham Palace with only the time filled in by hand. Perhaps they did know the gender all along? Not that I blame them in any way. We knew the gender if both our children and pretended we did not.

It's easy to print out two official notices, one with boy and one with girl, and fill in the time by hand - there's a lot more variation of time.

As they were all asked the gender a lot and didn't slip, I'm inclined to believe they didn't know. It seems easier to not let slip if you don't know.

I'm sure security and the police are relieved too.

I'm sure the hospital staff are extremely relieved! I saw at the end of one of the videos two women in what I thought was hospital uniform hugging each other, I'm sure from relief and from a job well done.

Now all those who were on call for the royal birth can go off their teetotaler order and toss down several glasses, if they haven't done so already!

Last edited:
As they were all asked the gender a lot and didn't slip, I'm inclined to believe they didn't know. It seems easier to not let slip if you don't know.

I think they've both had far too much media training to let slip something that important. I think it's possible they knew all along, or that they found out in the last two or three months.

Ish, good thought! That hadn't even crossed my mind. I do suppose the options for gender are somewhat limited :)

He is such a little bundle! My nephew was born at that same weight, with the same big hands, too. Baby Cambridge is a good size for snuggling!

Last edited:
I'll take your word for it. But even if they were patients, it was still inconsiderate. There were probably other patients who needed to rest.

In my experience, gone are the days where hospitals are treated as places of rest and convalescence... nowadays they are three ring circuses at all hours of the day and night.

Great pictures! William and Catherine look so happy. The baby is so adorable. From what I can see, he looks like William to me!

JW why did Victoria leave like 4hrs after Estelle was born but Kate couldn't leave until 24hrs after?

JW why did Victoria leave like 4hrs after Estelle was born but Kate couldn't leave until 24hrs after?
The likely reason is regulatory. Some jurisdictions and/or hospitals require at least a 24 or 48 hour stay post vaginal childbirth, 72 hours after a cesarean. Some don't have any such requirements, so if a mother is well and suffered no complication (and CPss Victoria had physicians on hand, should they have been necessary), she is allowed to be discharged as soon as she and her doctors feel it appropriate.

I teared up seeing Catherine looking at her son and tearing up herself from the cheers and most likely exhaustion. They both seemed supremely happy, and nervous, you're right Gracie Giraffe, the first child has to put up with alot.

Our first was that same weight with the same big, chubby fingers. This big baby looks gorgeous (naturally). I do remember wearing my regular clothes after a week or so, the nursing brings down the tummy. BUT, I certainly could not walk around like that 24 hours after the first baby! Most of us carried our cushions and ice packs for several days!

BTW Diana was in labor for 16 hours with William and left the hospital just under 2 days according to the BBC reportingat the time, video on You Tube

Last edited:
Wonderful pictures. I have never seen either of them happier. Beautiful baby. They will be awesome parents. Love Kate's outfit.

I don't think I've ever seen the two of them look happier either, not even on their wedding day (note, that I'm not trying to say that they looked unhappy, but that it wasn't as intense as today). Now, they've got a radiance that only comes with being a parent. They will indeed be amazing parents, because they strike me as people who know how to give of themselves without any reservations or fears, and that's a huge part of being a parent.

I teared up seeing Catherine looking at her son and tearing up herself from the cheers and most likely exhaustion. They both seemed supremely happy, and nervous, you're right Gracie Giraffe, the first child has to put up with alot.

Our first was that same weight with the same big, chubby fingers. This big baby looks gorgeous (naturally). I do remember wearing my regular clothes after a week or so, the nursing brings down the tummy. BUT, I certainly could not walk around like that 24 hours after the first baby! Most of us carried our cushions and ice packs for several days!

My mom just said something similar to me. I was just a little bit bigger than Baby Cambridge when born and my Mom says "I'm amazed she's able to walk around so easily! I stayed in the hospital for 6 days after you were born!" She said it was difficult enough just to get around the hospital room.

So the dress Catherine wore today is bespoke Jenny Packham, designed with the Duchess's input for this event. I wonder if she ordered one in pink as well, or... :p

So the dress Catherine wore today is bespoke Jenny Packham, designed with the Duchess's input for this event. I wonder if she ordered one in pink as well, or... :p

I, too, had wondered if may be she brought a pink and a blue outfit with her depending on the outcome. :D

Given as she and William were both in blue, I wonder what William would have worn had it been a girl...

My mom just said something similar to me. I was just a little bit bigger than Baby Cambridge when born and my Mom says "I'm amazed she's able to walk around so easily! I stayed in the hospital for 6 days after you were born!" She said it was difficult enough just to get around the hospital room.

I think that's why he reached out and took the baby from her. They're probably just trying to get her in the car and get her home where she can rest comfortably and privately with her new baby.

Back
Top Bottom