The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not surprised by George, though hoping for Philip.

Really surprised the two grandfathers and Philip were not included at all in the name, and by the short name. I know Louis Mountbattan was close to Charles, and Philip's Uncle, but William had no relationship as the man died before he was born. It made sense for Charles to use Louis in William, but I'd have thought Philip more fitting.

Again surprised by only three names, boys in the family always seem to have four.

But the name sounds good together. I kind of hope they call him Alex though growing up, George still seems old to me.
Charles IS included, his name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think celebs come up with those crazy baby names because they think it's fun, unique and because they can do what they want but I really don't think they take into consideration that these babies won't remain small, cute and adorable forever. At some point down the line, these babies will get older, become working professionals and will most likely become senior citizens.

Not pleasant to the ear and embarrassing to be referred to as 87 year old Pepper Mill or Apple Turnover or what have you.
I love it!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I am so glad his name is George! Such a classic name. Love the other names as well.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Well being a "St. Lewis" native I would beg to differ. These are merely Anglicized pronunciations. I have been amused by "Ver-sail-es", haven't heard of "Boyzdark" but Ponce de Leon has always been pronounced correctly .... at least during my educational years in the St. Louis public schools and learning history. It is interesting the different combinations of pronunciations (French and German) in St. Louis of many of the street names. One of the "worst" is the pronunciation of the name "GOTHEE" for Goethe .... go figure. Somehow, I DO THINK the French pronunciation of St. Louis would sound rather strange along with the Native American "Missouri". But then, there are some people who also pronounce that "MissourA". Everyone seems to have their own pronunciation but in the case of the new little Prince, I do think it calls for the proper pronunciation given that those he is named after pronounce it "Louie".
I'm in the lower half of the state and it is a little different down here about some things when it comes to pronunciation. :)

OMG don't even get me started on the MissourI and MissourA thing...NO one down here, not in most of my life (since I was 8) do people here say MissourA...the only time you hear that is when you hear politicians talking....or someone trying to be 'high class' (insert eye roll here!).

LaRae
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not surprised by George, though hoping for Philip.

Really surprised the two grandfathers and Philip were not included at all in the name, and by the short name. I know Louis Mountbattan was close to Charles, and Philip's Uncle, but William had no relationship as the man died before he was born. It made sense for Charles to use Louis in William, but I'd have thought Philip more fitting.

Again surprised by only three names, boys in the family always seem to have four.

But the name sounds good together. I kind of hope they call him Alex though growing up, George still seems old to me.
Both my grandmothers died well before I was born. MY paternal grandmother died when by father was only 6 months old in the flu epidemic of 1918. I was named for her and I have a relationship by blood and by name. It means a lot to me. Dont dismiss any relationship because there was no direct contact. That denies hereditary contact on all levels.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Courtier

I agree cepe. My maternal grandmother died of cancer before my mom was even married. I never knew her personally but I feel as if I do know some things because the family talked about her and I had pictures of her...and not even to the scale this baby will have access to when you consider all the video and photos taken during Diana's life.

I had a step-grandmother who somewhat filled that role as grandmother but I still knew (after a certain age) who my biological grandmother was.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Elizabeth View Post
Ah, but isn't naming your child after yourself pretty much the epitome of narcissism?
It can be in some cases, I suppose. For example I read somewhere that former boxer George Foreman has four or five sons and has named each and every one of them "George"....I, II, III, IV and V!!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

for those who complain about the BRF not coming up with something "modern", consider the DRF ...... Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick,.....Margarethe, Frederick, Christian

10/10 for consistency, but modern and innovative??????????

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
You are exactly right. There is also a "Look at me! Look at my kid!" factor in all of it too, i'm convinced.

Celebs have not always tried to express themselves through their children by giving them bizarre, headline making names. It ties in with the overall Culture of Narcissism that we are all a part of, unfortunately.
We are not all part of it. The term wasn't even proposed until the 1970's and even then, Christopher Lasch (who invented it) did not refer to everyone in its scope.

Some people are embedded in it, that's for sure.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
for those who complain about the BRF not coming up with something "modern", consider the DRF ...... Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick, Christian, Frederick,.....Margarethe, Frederick, Christian

10/10 for consistency, but modern and innovative??????????
I couldn't believe it when I read that all male Danish heirs to the throne must be named Frederick or Christian. I like both names but...no way!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
All is fine, but I have to question the responsibility of a parent who names his child after a fruit or a cardinal point.
There is a small part of me who thinks the names are fake and that they have an adverage name to keep their privacy.

I like the name, it isn't something I would chose but I am not the parent.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
We are not all part of it. The term wasn't even proposed until the 1970's and even then, Christopher Lasch (who invented it) did not refer to everyone in its scope.

Some people are embedded in it, that's for sure.
PrincessKaimi, I agree with you. I meant we all live in it, sorry I wasn't more clear.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
HRH Prince George of Cambridge.

He will have that title until The Queen dies and William becomes The Duke of Cornwall as well as The Duke of Cambridge.

At that point the little fellow will become HRH Prince xxxx of Cornwall and Cambridge. Cornwall will come first because it is the older Dukedom.

If Charles creates William Prince of Wales then the little boy will become HRH Prince xxxx of Wales.

When William becomes King he will automatically be HRH The Duke of Cornwall and again, if William creates him Prince of Wales he will be HRH The Prince of Wales.

At some point it is possible that he will marry and so possibly be given a dukedom in his own right in the same way that William was created Duke of Cambridge.

Finally when he becomes King he will be HM The King.

So:

HRH Prince George of Cambridge
HRH Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge
HRH Prince George of Wales
HRH The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland HRH The Prince George, The Duke of Rothesay
HRH The Prince of Wales
HM The King

will all come this young man's way at some time - assuming that Charles and William both survive The Queen and the William outlives Charles and that the baby outlives all of the above.
Iluvbertie
you KNEW way back, before the announcement was made, he was to be Prince George of Cambridge... you clever thing you.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Stephen Colbert's take on the new baby. For those people who are not familiar with Stephen Colbert, he is a comedian who has a fake news show.

Prince Charles' ears: Stephen Colbert fears for royal baby George - latimes.com
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Majesty

William and Catherine stuck with tradition, which not a bad thing when naming the future King of the United Kingdom. It honors Her Majesty's father (along with grandfather), as well as the Prince of Wales.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

Awesome news about Prince George's name... wasn't my guess but still great :) In honor of his naming... I made a cover photo and put it up on my facebook lol. Feel free to use if you wish :) *HUGS* and *Yay* lol

Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Awesome news about Prince George's name... wasn't my guess but still great :) In honor of his naming... I made a cover photo and put it up on my facebook lol. Feel free to use if you wish :) *HUGS* and *Yay* lol

Wonderful, or as my British friends would say: "well done, brilliant."
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
William and Catherine stuck with tradition, which not a bad thing when naming the future King of the United Kingdom. It honors Her Majesty's father (along with grandfather), as well as the Prince of Wales.
It's also a name that wasn't in use, which is nice. Baby George doesn't have to share with anyone.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Think of all the confusion there must have been in the Royal Family back in the 1860s, 70s, 80s, 90 s and early 1900s with all of the Victoria's, Alberts, Edwards, Louise's, Beatrice's, Alice's, Alfred's, Leopold's, Alexandria's, etc.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
It's also a name that wasn't in use, which is nice. Baby George doesn't have to share with anyone.
I think that since the news hit the wires that Kate was pregnant, the world has been musing and wondering just who this child would be named "after". If a girl, would it have her paternal grandmother's name and what boy's names would honor who best and how. Sometimes less is more.

These wise parents saw the need for this child to grow up and into his own identity and by using traditional British royal names albeit ones that are not going to push an image of someone else into a mental image in the average person's mind, when we hear Prince George, we think solely on this particular individual.

Right now though, I do have to compare the wee Prince George with the USA's former president George HW Bush. Both are just about totally bald and I'd wager that the wee prince has more hair. Bush has shaved his head in support of a 2 year old boy Patrick that is suffering from cancer.

George H.W. Bush Shaves Head For Kid With Cancer, Poses In Adorable Picture