The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
At the time of the transfer of the titles do the incomes go with the titles?

LaRae

Only two titles have incomes - Cornwall and Lancaster - and they do go automatically with the titles.

When Charles becomes King he will get the income from the Duchy of Lancaster and William will get the income of the Duchy of Cornwall, from which he will have to support his family, including this young prince and and further children and grandchildren just as Charles supports William, Kate, George and Harry now.

When William becomes King he will get Lancaster and George will get Cornwall.

Harry will be supported by Charles, William and George for the rest of his life, as welll as the fortune he inherited from his mother.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Majesty

I like George as there is a strong tradition of the name and a nod to the last holder of the title Duke of Cambridge who started life as HRH Prince George of Cambridge as well.

I was surprised that they couldn't find room for Philip in there but maybe they are saving that for a second child - either boy or girl - Phillipa/Philip.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Only two titles have incomes - Cornwall and Lancaster - and they do go automatically with the titles.

When Charles becomes King he will get the income from the Duchy of Lancaster and William will get the income of the Duchy of Cornwall, from which he will have to support his family, including this young prince and and further children and grandchildren just as Charles supports William, Kate, George and Harry now.

Harry will be supported by Charles, William and George for the rest of his life, as welll as the fortune he inherited from his mother.

I know William and Harry have their own money from their mother, are their expenses so much that Charles still needs to support them?

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

What happens to the money from Cornwall when there is no Duke?

If Charles dies before the Queen there is no new Duke. Is William able to use the funds, or do they revert to the crown?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for a very informative reply.

Quote:
The tradition with the BRF is a private christening - no live coverage - and some photos and maybe some video coverage released to the press afterwards.

They have been done in different rooms in BP or at Windsor at St Georges.

As this is a future king the Archbishop of Canterbury and he will be baptised with water from the River Jordan and wear the new family Christening gown first used by James, Viscount Severn, as the one used before that was deemed too delicate for further use and a replica was made for James (the original was first used for Queen Victoria's daughter in 1840 and all BRF members have worn it ever since until James).

This, traditionally, hasn't been the big productions that the Scandinavian royals go in for - compare the weddings on the continent to William's as the BRF didn't go in for all the fanfare and insisted that the reception and speeches for instance were private events.

As for godparents being foreign royals - probably not - although a Greek royal is a possibility - live in London and quite close friends to the BRF and William is godfather to one of their children so a reciprication is possible. I would expect Harry and Pippa along with some close friends and maybe a cousin or two - Peter and one of Kate's cousins for balace.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I know William and Harry have their own money from their mother, are their expenses so much that Charles still needs to support them?

LaRae
I believe Charles funds their royal lives, while the money from Diana is used for more private means.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

I see so who's paying for the upgrades at KP?

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think celebs come up with those crazy baby names because they think it's fun, unique and because they can do what they want but I really don't think they take into consideration that these babies won't remain small, cute and adorable forever. At some point down the line, these babies will get older, become working professionals and will most likely become senior citizens.

Not pleasant to the ear and embarrassing to be referred to as 87 year old Pepper Mill or Apple Turnover or what have you.

You are exactly right. There is also a "Look at me! Look at my kid!" factor in all of it too, i'm convinced.

Celebs have not always tried to express themselves through their children by giving them bizarre, headline making names. It ties in with the overall Culture of Narcissism that we are all a part of, unfortunately.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
What happens to the money from Cornwall when there is no Duke?

If Charles dies before the Queen there is no new Duke. Is William able to use the funds, or do they revert to the crown?

When the last time this happened the money went to the government not to the monarch - so the Crown as in the Treasury.

When Elizabeth and Philip married there was an arrangement made about the money going to her but the Civil List to the King being reduced by the amount going to Elizabeth.

We won't have that problem in future as the intention with the change in the succession laws is that the income will always go to the heir/heiress apparent to the throne.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I see so who's paying for the upgrades at KP?

LaRae

Combination of The BRF and the government - as KP is a government owned building not a private one the structural upgrade e.g. removal of the asbestos, will be paid for by the government but the decorations etc will be funded by the family - as happened with the refurbishment of the St James' Palace apartment used by Beatrice and Eugenie - decoration funded by Andrew but structural stuff by govenment as it is a government owned building.

No doubt when the upgrade has to be done to BP after the Queen passes e.g. hasn't been rewired since the 1940s, the government will fund some of that (through things like the Sovereign Grant which is to cover a lot of these expenses) and maybe an extra one off payment to bring it up to 21st century standards, but decoration of private apartments will be privately funded.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:

LaRae

It isn't so much 'needs' to but 'wants' to do so and for a very good reason - traditionally the Dukes of Cornwall have supported their children just as the monarch supports the rest of the family.

Why dip into their own money if Dad is prepared and able to pay for them and is happy to do so?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Cool...that seems reasonable.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Aristocracy

Prince George..it is amazing that the little boy is already a prince:-)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Celebs have not always tried to express themselves through their children by giving them bizarre, headline making names. It ties in with the overall Culture of Narcissism that we are all a part of, unfortunately.
Ah, but isn't naming your child after yourself pretty much the epitome of narcissism?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Gentry

When my son was born on 20th July 1977, my second eldest brother (who passed away in 1982) was disappointed that my son didn't wait for 22nd July as it was his birthday. On Monday, after the birth of the new little Prince, I told my brother in a prayer that the future King of England was born on his birthday. I am sure he would have been delighted!! Many congratulations to a great couple on the birth of their son!! God bless to them and their loved ones.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Let's not forget Harry has a job and will be paid for that. He will support himself, to a certain degree.

Re name of baby; I'm not surprised by George, though not my first pic (not that that's important!) but i thought there would be four names. However, all the best to the Cambridge family; there will be so much love there, it's just great.

Re name of celebrities' babies; David Bowie's son named Zowie now goes by Duncan, I believe - much more sensible. Honestly, some of those names are just downright weird.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post

Let's not forget Harry has a job and will be paid for that. He will support himself, to a certain degree.

Re name of baby; I'm not surprised by George, though not my first pic (not that that's important!) but i thought there would be four names. However, all the best to the Cambridge family; there will be so much love there, it's just great.

Re name of celebrities' babies; David Bowie's son named Zowie now goes by Duncan, I believe - much more sensible. Honestly, some of those names are just downright weird.
David Bowie's son's first name was always Duncan. The family called him Zowie, his middle name, as a child, and Joey as a teen.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
David Bowie's son's first name was always Duncan. The family called him Zowie, his middle name, as a child, and Joey as a teen.
Thanks for that; i didn't know.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Royal baby: driver with a royal claim to fame-
Royal baby: driver with a royal claim to fame - Telegraph

Mr. & Mrs. Middleton went to Kensington Palace after they visited their grandson at the hospital.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Many of us know the proper way to pronounce various 'foreign' names. Then again there are many who have put their own twist on them as well.

It drives me crazy to see the mispronunciation of the names of French settlements (originally) here that are now towns/cities. A short list from around here:

Versailles
Bois d' Arc
St Louis
Ponce de Leon

It makes me cringe when I hear someone say 'Ver-sail-es', 'Boyzdark', St Lewis, Poncy etc etc. If you try to point it out some people think you are being snooty.

It's been done so long the wrong way they are not going to change it.

LaRae
Well being a "St. Lewis" native I would beg to differ. These are merely Anglicized pronunciations. I have been amused by "Ver-sail-es", haven't heard of "Boyzdark" but Ponce de Leon has always been pronounced correctly .... at least during my educational years in the St. Louis public schools and learning history. It is interesting the different combinations of pronunciations (French and German) in St. Louis of many of the street names. One of the "worst" is the pronunciation of the name "GOTHEE" for Goethe .... go figure. Somehow, I DO THINK the French pronunciation of St. Louis would sound rather strange along with the Native American "Missouri". But then, there are some people who also pronounce that "MissourA". Everyone seems to have their own pronunciation but in the case of the new little Prince, I do think it calls for the proper pronunciation given that those he is named after pronounce it "Louie".