The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Britain has been in constant transition from one thing to another for about, oh, 1000 years. the trick is to change with the times but keep the best of your country the same:)

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Courtier

I am looking forward to seeing a photo with Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William and Baby Cambridge like this one taken from 1894 after the birth of Edward VIII.

First tine in 119 Years and only the Second time that this has happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3368491648.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	289707  

Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Nobility

I am so happy for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge!

What a day. It's actually my first day starting a new role at work and starting a new early morning shift. When I got up at 4 AM, the first news I saw was that Catherine was in labor. I usually carry my phone on me at work, but I discovered as I was rushing out the door that my new work pants have tiny pockets that were too small for my smartphone. So every time I had a break, I would run to the lunch room where they had a television set to a news channel to find that there was no substantial update.

Finally, as I was leaving at the end of my shift, I checked my phone and saw that the only breaking news was the death of actor Dennis Farina. By the time I got home 15 minutes later, they were placing the announcement in the forecourt at Buckingham Palace. So the timing worked out perfectly for me to be able to enjoy the news once I got home.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Gentry

Hey .. exciting times.
It's great news of the safe birth of the wee Prince of Cambridge.
He was quite heavy for a first born - 8lb6oz - hope his mother recovers well. I wonder how long he was?
Congratulations to Catherine and William and their families!
It was nice that the announcement was made a few hours after the birth.
Time to check out the young boy, phone all family personally and take a breath.
I loved the message of Prince Charles. He's going to be a loving and supportive Grandfather.
Can't wait to catch a peek on the steps of the Lindo Wing tomorrow - all going well...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I am looking forward to seeing a photo with Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William and Baby Cambridge like this one taken from 1894 after the birth of Edward VIII.

First tine in 119 Years and only the Second time that this has happened.
That will be a neat picture. I'm looking forward to it, too.

It's too bad they didn't (I assume) do a picture including George VI. Of course, they had no way of knowing Edward VIII would abdicate and it would be George VI and his line going forward, but that would've been something: 5 monarchs/future monarchs in one photo.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Courtier

What a great joy this baby brings to the world. Forever we shall remember that HRH The Prince of Cambridge was born on this day 22 July 2013 in this holy month on a Monday, just one day after King Philippe became the King of the Belgians. There begins a new chapter in the Royal House of Windsor.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
The Queen Mother had a girl the current Queen. So it's the Queen, Diana and now Kate to have boys first. It could be a good thing in a way a little girl would be under so much pressure they might be a little more relaxed how a boy dresses etc. It's their first Great Grandson so that is good if Zara has a girl he is going to be surrounded in girl cousins. LOL We haven't seen William yet I remember Charles coming out after his birth we may be having to wait till they all leave the hospital together.
There is something so magic about that first meeting w/ your child - to actually see them after those long months of waiting.
Queen Elizabeth II when born was the daughter of the King and Queen consort's second son and would not have been expected to become Queen @ the time, as it would have been expected that her uncle Edward VIII would marry and have offspring - so it has been awhile since someone in the direct line @ the time of the birth had a daughter first (Queen Victoria?)
I too had concerns about how mean people can be about females and their appearance - also I was thinking ahead to when a girl would start dating and how problematic it would be to find a life partner for her. I wish things were more equal - but they aren't yet thus I'm relieved that it's a boy.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Nobility

boy has already got class... he did not want to take the shine off a brother monarchs day lol.

on equality: all those young princess heiresses are going to come of age and want lives and love. i want to believe to they are being guided enough to make the good choices CP Victoria did and hopefully look to her as an example of a modern female monarch with class and elegance but still relatable.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
There is something so magic about that first meeting w/ your child - to actually see them after those long months of waiting.
Queen Elizabeth II when born was the daughter of the King and Queen consort's second son and would not have been expected to become Queen @ the time, as it would have been expected that her uncle Edward VIII would marry and have offspring - so it has been awhile since someone in the direct line @ the time of the birth had a daughter first (Queen Victoria?)
I too had concerns about how mean people can be about females and their appearance - also I was thinking ahead to when a girl would start dating and how problematic it would be to find a life partner for her. I wish things were more equal - but they aren't yet thus I'm relieved that it's a boy.
I believe Meadow was just picking up on the list of a previous poster, where the queen mum was included in the list of women who had first born sons.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Wouldn't you know...I was reading a book all day and knew nothing until I turned on the news! It took me a long time to catch up reading the forum!
Congratulations to The Royal Family! I hoped for a little princess, but I am thrilled with a new prince!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Courtier

How old are the Royal babies when they get Christened usually? I'm also wondering if when we get the name they will tell us the Godparents name. And yes I was replying to a previous post someone had said that there was a tradition in having boys first and mentioned the Queen Mother.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
How old are the Royal babies when they get Christened usually? I'm also wondering if when we get the name they will tell us the Godparents name. And yes I was replying to a previous post someone had said that there was a tradition in having boys first and mentioned the Queen Mother.
I realized that Meadow, but it tweaked my curiosity, so I did a little googleing to see how long it had been since there had been a first born female child in the direct line - sort of extending the conversation, I should have made my comment clearer. I was surprised that it was a boy my intuition was that it would be a girl.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CAMBRIDGES!

And . . .

WELCOME TO THE WORLD, BABY BOY CAMBRIDGE!!!

How WONDERFUL!

And, as a few others have already posted, how absolutely LOVELY that they got the chance to enjoy their son for awhile before news of his birth was officially made public.

Congratulations to the Middletons and the BRF, as well!!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Commoner

Very happy to hear about the new Prince's safe arrival.. got the news at work. We all had thought it would be a girl so this is quite a surprise.. Cannot wait to see a pic of the little one..I saw a nice picture of Niagara Falls tonight light up in blue in honour of the baby's birth!!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Commoner

I'm glad that Kate had a safe delivery and that she and her baby (who is surely going to be tall like his parents) are healthy.

I must say I am disappointed that the baby was not a girl and will probably have less interest in the monarchy as a result.

Nonetheless, best wishes to the child for his future and I'm sure Kate will be a great mother.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:

With William we waited about a week for a name, with Harry about 24 hours and with Charles I believe the wait was about a month.

As for godparents - announced at the time of the Christening which can be anytime from about two months onwards going on past experiences.

As the Queen is heading to Balmoral for the next two months I would say baptism in October/November - 14th/20th are good dates (Charles' birthday, Queen's wedding day - Anne's first wedding day as well was the 14th) and of course 15th is Peter's birthday.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM

I wonder if Williams's Spencer relatives were given the advance notice of his son's arrival along with the Midds and the BRF. I hope so, as a courtesy at least.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Nobility

does not seem like they are a factor in his life.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
does not seem like they are a factor in his life.
But they are his family, as much as the BRF is. His uncle Charles aside, I believe his aunts on the Spencer side have remained in his life at least somewhat. Hopefully they haven't been overlooked on this happy occasion.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleineleigh View Post
I'm glad that Kate had a safe delivery and that she and her baby (who is surely going to be tall like his parents) are healthy.
You never know. I thought I was surely going to be tall because my parents are tall. No such luck.