Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know she was her Private Secretary (and referred to her as such in a post further up this thread) I was making the point I was of the believe she was extremely qualified, if not over qualified, for that demanding important role. I was joking that if I thought that for her being a Private Secretary then I would of thought her even more over qualified for the role of PA (not saying being a PA is not an important or demanding role of its own though).

Simon Case is well qualified to be William's Private Secretary, possibly you could say over qualified. He was a Private Secretary to the Prime Minster, The Deputy Prime Minister, Director of Strategy for GCHQ then the Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister under Cameron and May. His background as a civil servant is more the traditional route Private Secretaries come from.

A number of off-topic posts have been deleted. This thread is about the Cambridges' staff and not about the types of charities Kate should be supporting. If you wish to discuss Kate and her charities, you can do so here.

Last edited:
Catherine Quinn was NOT a personal asistant.

Is Simon Case also overqualified to be William’s Private Secretary?

I don't see the comparison at all.

Simon Case whose career has been in civil service, and has served as a private secretary. His education and career resume are geared towards being a private secretary. Having worked with big titles like the PM, will give him a good foundation for when William is POW or king if he chooses to remain on. Coordinating the schedule, engagements and other activities for an individual, is something he has spent his career doing.

Catherine Quinn has no education or career history in civil service. She was COO of a major university business school before working for Kate. As well as chair of several large charitable foundations. Catherine went from being the person who would have had someone coordinating her schedule to attend functions, business meetings and events, to being the one to setting the schedule. Its definitely a side ways at best career step for a woman with her resume.

For Simon getting a position as PS to a new official, and taking on new challenges in the office is a step forward in the career path he chose. For Catherine it was likely a huge slow down. 2 years seems to have been enough time for her to realize she needs a new challenge again.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's long-term housekeeper, Antonella Fresolone received the Royal Victorian Order from the Duke of Cambridge during an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
She had already worked for the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...18648089337856

Nice honor. Been with them since just after George was born.

It seems pretty customary for those staff who stay more then five years in a position to receive it.

Last edited:
Like Catherine Quinn, an impressive resume. 5 years with the embassy in India. And almost 2 years it looks like now with the British office to the EU in Brussels.

Seems slightly better fit compared to someone like Quinn. Quinn had been CEO of major charities and running the business office of an university. Hannah has done similar work, just at an international level. Hope to see her stay more then 2 years.

I thought there was 2 good routes to go 1. promote within 2. go with someone with a civil service background possibly in diplomacy like Simon Case for William. I seems they went with option 2.

Last edited:
I am thrilled. She went the Maxima route minus the languages but you can't ask a lot from British public servants in that regards so this will do. I really hope they work well together and can achieve a bit more.

Apparently Simon Case is not coming back from his secondment...

Simon Case is apparently going to be named as the UK's top civil servant. Although an official announcement will not be made until tomorrow the BBC is reporting he is to become the next Cabinet Secretary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53977821

The role is described as:
The cabinet secretary is the most senior civil servant in the United Kingdom, and is based in the Cabinet Office. The person in this role acts as the senior policy adviser to the Prime Minister and Cabinet and as the secretary to the Cabinet, is responsible to all ministers for the efficient running of government.

If true (doubt the BBC would report it if they weren't pretty sure it was) then it shows the calibre of staff the Cambridges have had but is also a potentially a risky move for Case, the current government seem no strangers to throwing their senior civil servants under the bus - the former Cabinet Secretary was asked to step downy the PM.

I guess William will be after a new Private Sec now.

Last edited:
Simon Case is apparently going to be named as the UK's top civil servant. Although an official announcement will not be made until tomorrow the BBC is reporting he is to become the next Cabinet Secretary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53977821

The role is described as:
The cabinet secretary is the most senior civil servant in the United Kingdom, and is based in the Cabinet Office. The person in this role acts as the senior policy adviser to the Prime Minister and Cabinet and as the secretary to the Cabinet, is responsible to all ministers for the efficient running of government.

If true (doubt the BBC would report it if they weren't pretty sure it was) then it shows the calibre of staff the Cambridges have had but is also a potentially a risky move for case, the current government seem to strangers to throwing their senior civil servants under the bus - the former Cabinet Secretary was asked to step downy the PM.

According to the BBC, five permanent secretaries have left their posts in the last six months, which confirms what you have just said above.

To be fair, apparently Simon Case is well liked by the PM who it seems is getting "his man" in the job which of course makes it less likely he'll be forced out.
Apparently the PM personally phoned William to ask if they could borrow his Private Secretary back during the Covid crisis.

From Chris Ship's twitter:
It’s been revealed the most senior aide in William & Kate’s household is leaving his job.
Christian Jones is the Acting Private Secretary & former Press Secretary at Kensington Palace.
It comes 2 days after Julian Payne, Charles & Camilla’s Head of Comms, announced his departure.

Article on Telegraph:
Exclusive: Prince William's closest aide quits
The Duke of Cambridge is set to lose a second key aide in a year. Christian Jones, who replaced Simon Case as William's private secretary last March after he was poached by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is leaving the royal household to join the private equity group Bridgepoint as a partner.

The private sector can always pay a lot more than the Royal Firm can afford.

Just my opinion but there doesn't appear to be the same career courtiers that there once was.
Having a few years working for the crown does look good on a c.v.

The private sector can always pay a lot more than the Royal Firm can afford.

Agreed and considering the tumultuous past twelve months, I can understand why anyone would feel that they need a more lucrative position.

The Duke of Cambridge has hired Jean-Christophe Gray to be his private secretary, according to The Sunday Times. Jean-Christophe Gray has been described as a Whitehall heavy weight and was David Cameron's spoke person. He has also worked for George Osborne (former Chancellor under Cameron ministry)

Treasury ‘velociraptor’ to claw back prince’s spending
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/treasury-velociraptor-to-claw-back-princes-spending-vzqtk2wlf

From Roya Nikkhah's twitter:
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
EXCLUSIVE The Duke of Cambridge has hired Whitehall heavyweight Jean-Christophe Gray as his new private secretary. “JC” is a former spokesman for @David_Cameron and Treasury high-flier and becomes William’s closest, most senior aide
@thesundaytimes
7:00 PM · Feb 21, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Just a quick note-This baby news is about Catherine's PA Natasha Archer and her husband Chris Jackson.

Yes which should have been included in the misleading post.

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new thread here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom